ADVERTISEMENT

Expanded playoff coming in 2024

I have a feeling that the folks at USC would disagree with you about that.
I wonder what Clemson and Utah fans would think? USC would still get in.

12%20CFB%20Playoffs.jpg

Highest four conference champions get a bye making the conference championship games meaningful. Tennessee vs Kansas State is interesting and Alabama vs. USC would be a terrific first-round game setting up the best game in the second round as well.

Reactions: Pitt79
I wonder what Clemson and Utah fans would think? USC would still get in.

12%20CFB%20Playoffs.jpg
I hate to call a media source wrong, but those are not the brackets I came up with.

Again maybe I am wrong, but here is what I got.

GEORGIA VS WINNER OF UTAH/KS ST
CLEMSON VS WINNER OF OHIO ST/TULANE

MICHIGAN VS WINNER OF TENN/USC
TCU VS WINNER OF ALA/PSU

Highest four conference champions get a bye making the conference championship games meaningful. Tennessee vs Kansas State is interesting and Alabama vs. USC would be a terrific first-round game setting up the best game in the second round as well.
Check my post right after yours. Unless I figured it wrong, those would not be the pairings.

TENN would be playing USC. Alabama would be playing pSU.

I based my brackets on the playoff rankings listed by ESPN.

Everything you’re saying is just college football, and has always been college football. And yet, I’m a college football fan.
I guess I'm a fan, I watch all the Pitt games, and other games, just for something to watch on TV. But never pay attention to the rigged, always the same playoff race/debate. Hopefully it's more interesting once they do the right thing and give automatic bids to the conference champs. at least then, the regular season will actually matter and maybe 95% of the teams won't be eliminated before Labor Day now.

When was your independence ever at risk? That's all silly talk.

Swarbick had no stroke and you're selling it as a win. You got the same deal as UConn.
The ACC was scheming with the Alliance to "force" ND football to join. It voted no last year to an expanded playoff at least partially because of this.

A four team playoff is not as good for ND's independence as a 12 team one with 6 at larges.

An 8 team playoff would not have been as healthy for continued ND independence, either.

(Non-ND fans who hate ND's independence always hoped the playoff setup would kill it. Now? No sale)

In reality, how often will the bye issue come up for ND going forward?

Do other fans anticipate ND often going 12-0 and ranked in the Top 4?

Ya'll must be ND optimists, I think.

During the past ten seasons, ND went 12-0 and was ranked in the Top 4 exactly......once. (2018)

Independence, a home playoff game and 6 at large bids to shoot for after the top six conference champs get a bid seems to be something that will come up more often than a playoff bye for ND.

Last edited:
The ACC was scheming with the Alliance to "force" ND football to join. It voted no last year to an expanded playoff at least partially because of this.

A four team playoff is not as good for ND's independence as a 12 team one with 6 at larges.

An 8 team playoff would not have been as healthy for continued ND independence, either.

(Non-ND fans who hate ND's independence always hoped the playoff setup would kill it. Now? No sale)

In reality, how often will the bye issue come up for ND going forward?

Do other fans anticipate ND often going 12-0 and ranked in the Top 4?

Ya'll must be ND optimists, I think.

During the past ten seasons, ND went 12-0 and was ranked in the Top 4 exactly......once. (2018)

Independence, a home playoff game and 6 at large bids to shoot for after the top six conference champs get a bid seems to be something that will come up more often than a playoff bye for ND.
Frankly, I don't care at all about ND's independence and neither do most people.

Utah has a bye at 10-3 in the above scenario. ND could go 12-0 and not have a bye.

All this talk of a home game like it's a guarantee. It's not. The only guarantee is ND will never get a bye.

Stupid deal for you when it was your man Swarbick's baby.

ADVERTISEMENT