ADVERTISEMENT

Fact Narduzzi Has Lost Only Six Assistant Coaches

poconopanther

Redshirt
Jul 5, 2001
which is on par with most programs over a three year period. Even Nick Sabah and Jimmy Franks have similiar numbers. Not counting grad assistants the coaches who left are Chaney, Conklin, Peterson, Hill, Sims and Canada. Imagine a prospective recruit coming on the board and seeing the headline below about 30 leaving .

which is on par with most programs over a three year period. Even Nick Sabah and Jimmy Franks have similiar numbers. Not counting grad assistants the coaches who left are Chaney, Conklin, Peterson, Hill, Sims and Canada. Imagine a prospective recruit coming on the board and seeing the headline below about 30 leaving .
LOL, 6. who the hell said 30? How do you mess up that much? I blame myself for posting in that thread yesterday and not noticing that ridiculous claim. Uh sorry, not 30, I meant 6..

Regarding those 6, outside of Canada, do we care? and Canada got his salary tripled by leaving.. Actually Chaney was a big loss, that's definitely one I'd like back.

LOL, 6. who the hell said 30? How do you mess up that much? I blame myself for posting in that thread yesterday and not noticing that ridiculous claim. Uh sorry, not 30, I meant 6..

Regarding those 6, outside of Canada, do we care? and Canada got his salary tripled by leaving.. Actually Chaney was a big loss, that's definitely one I'd like back.

As I mentioned in that thread, it might be 30 if you want to include Grad Coaches, Video Interns, Water Boys, etc...

Reactions: PittFanDan17
I know I’m just a nitter but I’m pretty sure the 30 number is supposed to include recruiter coordinators, analysts, S&C staff, etc. not exclusively assistant coaches.

I have no idea if 30 is accurate or not in that context, if it’s a lot or not, and nor do I care but I think for those that do you need to put the number in the right context.

EDIT: what the guy above me said.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Maybe Madden was including trainers and other sports coaches like our pal Kevin and Suzie as coaches who left under Narduzzi.

I know I’m just a nitter but I’m pretty sure the 30 number is supposed to include recruiter coordinators, analysts, S&C staff, etc. not exclusively assistant coaches.

I have no idea if 30 is accurate or not in that context, if it’s a lot or not, and nor do I care but I think for those that do you need to put the number in the right context.

Right and if that is the case, I don't think that number is that high. There are tons of people in those types of positions, most with career aspirations to get into the coaching ranks. They take these lower level jobs to get on a staff, get experience and then move on trying to getting actual coaching positions.

I would almost guarantee this is normal across the board in all schools and for Madden or whatever other idiot on the radio to try and use it as a knock on Narduzzi, Franklin, Meyer or whatever other coach you want to name is crap.

Three guys were fired, or "gently" nudged out the door, and the other three got higher paying jobs. People on an upswing in their careers that get hired away for more money are good people to have. I've heard plenty of times in the past that he average coach in college spends 3 years at a school. Through his first three seasons, Narduzzi had a total of 27 assistant coaching slots (9 per year). Based on the average, any more than 9 leaving across 3 years is above average, any less is below average. He's below average in turnover for actual coaches.

The other assistants who aren't actually coaches are definitely important, just not nearly as important as the guys that are actually coaching the student athletes and actively recruiting new ones. I'd love to have an Alabama sized staff full of experienced analysts, but we can't afford that (not many can). But the fact is, there's NO WAY we lost 24 of those guys in three years. The entire football "support" staff listed is about 20 people, including grad assistants, video editors, analysts, and administrative assistants. Did we lose 24 total in three years? And even if we did, do we care much if we got a new video editor or Narduzzi replaced his AA?

Three guys were fired, or "gently" nudged out the door, and the other three got higher paying jobs. People on an upswing in their careers that get hired away for more money are good people to have. I've heard plenty of times in the past that he average coach in college spends 3 years at a school. Through his first three seasons, Narduzzi had a total of 27 assistant coaching slots (9 per year). Based on the average, any more than 9 leaving across 3 years is above average, any less is below average. He's below average in turnover for actual coaches.

The other assistants who aren't actually coaches are definitely important, just not nearly as important as the guys that are actually coaching the student athletes and actively recruiting new ones. I'd love to have an Alabama sized staff full of experienced analysts, but we can't afford that (not many can). But the fact is, there's NO WAY we lost 24 of those guys in three years. The entire football "support" staff listed is about 20 people, including grad assistants, video editors, analysts, and administrative assistants. Did we lose 24 total in three years? And even if we did, do we care much if we got a new video editor or Narduzzi replaced his AA?
I did a thorough and exhaustive research project on Coordinator tenure at ACC schools and came up with a conclusion that each existing coordinator in the ACC has been with their current school for 2 1/2 years. It took me about 10 minutes, I think I just did Offensive coordinators and in the case when a school had 2, I just used the avg.

My math is 100% right but only 50% of the time so keep that in mind so I'd have to imagine if it's 2.5 years for OCs, it's less for position coaches.. I've said this a few times, in this day and age, having a position coach or even a coordinator for 5 or more years isn't necessarily a good thing. yeah, you get the rare situations like a Duzzer at MSU, a non pedophile asst coach at Sandusky U or that Foster dude at Va tech but more often than not, having your coordinators and coaches moving on to better and brighter worlds is a sign of a good program.

As I mentioned in that thread, it might be 30 if you want to include Grad Coaches, Video Interns, Water Boys, etc...
The grad asses don’t count, they don’t recruit and are usually only at a program for a year, 2 max. 30 coaches in 3 years would basically be a full staff turnover every year.

If im going to jump on this narrative of "narduzzi is tough to work with" nonsense, I need at least one example of a coach leaving here and taking a lateral move to get out of dodge. Just one. I don't see it yet. I am not blind, not a Pitt homer so if it exists im all ears but if anyone wants to push this angle, at least back it up with one example.

Mark Madden

If im going to jump on this narrative of "narduzzi is tough to work with" nonsense, I need at least one example of a coach leaving here and taking a lateral move to get out of dodge. Just one. I don't see it yet. I am not blind, not a Pitt homer so if it exists im all ears but if anyone wants to push this angle, at least back it up with one example.
That’s a false narrative. The big problem is Pitt gets better-dealed all the time. That’s a fact of life at a mediocre program.

My beef with Narduzzi is that he’s proving to be the same ol, same ol, and that’s just not going to get this program anywhere. We had a brief glimpse of what some creativity can do for a mid-level program when Canada installed his O. Unfortunately Narduzzi’s D couldn’t put up even a little resistance, or that could have been a helluva year.

Watson was a big, and immediate drop off from Canada. Hopefully he’s better than I think he is, but my gut says otherwise.

Reactions: Chaos
What's the lower number? Number of Pitt recruits, or number of pounds Madden has lost this year?

Last edited:
The grad asses don’t count, they don’t recruit and are usually only at a program for a year, 2 max. 30 coaches in 3 years would basically be a full staff turnover every year.

Right, you are saying the exact same thing. I agree those should not be factored into the equation and excluding them makes the 30 assistant coaches leaving a total BS narrative.

meh, my man still tries to get listeners on terrestrial radio, a dying industry. guess you got to massage the facts to try and keep people from listening to endless commercials on fm radio in the 21st century.

Ya, because poking fun at the Pitt program is sure to have his listeners/callers sky rocket.

Steelers insults are the way to go. Followed by idiot Pirate fans. Hell, even taking shots at PSU would drive up more local interest.

That’s a false narrative. The big problem is Pitt gets better-dealed all the time. That’s a fact of life at a mediocre program.

My beef with Narduzzi is that he’s proving to be the same ol, same ol, and that’s just not going to get this program anywhere. We had a brief glimpse of what some creativity can do for a mid-level program when Canada installed his O. Unfortunately Narduzzi’s D couldn’t put up even a little resistance, or that could have been a helluva year.

Watson was a big, and immediate drop off from Canada. Hopefully he’s better than I think he is, but my gut says otherwise.
every body gets "better dealed" all the time, every job is a stepping stone. There's always a better job out there in college football and if there's not, there is the NFL. if USC who was the elite College program at the time can lose Pete Carroll, no job in college football is a destination job. good programs develop their players and their asst coaches so they can backfill vacancies and not have to look externally all the time.

Ya, because poking fun at the Pitt program is sure to have his listeners/callers sky rocket.

Steelers insults are the way to go. Followed by idiot Pirate fans. Hell, even taking shots at PSU would drive up more local interest.
this guy has declared war on some of the more popular steelers including ward and bettis. he was the one that broke the paterno/Sandusky story about 6 months before anyone else. he isn't scared to poke the bear.

What's weird about MM, for all the stuff that should have gotten him in hot water, it never did but didn't he get fired from espn for taking a shot at ted freakin kennedy? LIke who in the hell caresabout that sick twisted murdering nut job

this guy has declared war on some of the more popular steelers including ward and bettis. he was the one that broke the paterno/Sandusky story about 6 months before anyone else. he isn't scared to poke the bear.

What's weird about MM, for all the stuff that should have gotten him in hot water, it never did but didn't he get fired from espn for taking a shot at ted freakin kennedy? LIke who in the hell caresabout that sick twisted murdering nut job
He did his own version of Sterns monologue the day Ted died. The humor was lost on some old geezers whole complained to ESPN and he got the boot. He was just trying to shock, like always.

He did his own version of Sterns monologue the day Ted died. The humor was lost on some old geezers whole complained to ESPN and he got the boot. He was just trying to shock, like always.
politics aside, dude let a chick drown in his car for 1/2 a day before he said anything. you do that, nothing is 'off the table' IMO.

I'm hoping we lose a lot of assistant coaches during the Narduzzi era. It means they are doing a really good job and are desired by the upper tier programs. If we have coaches staying here for a long period of time, that's a massive red flag.

Reactions: Swervin27
It left to take a similar spot on the message board of it’s Alma mater.
So witty. Like I said before, sorry I am not a brainless shill like so many on this board. Pitt has been mediocre my entire life. There are things that happen at Pitt that I do not agree with. God forbid that I question the great Duzz. His decision making and recruiting leave a lot to be desired. The bloom may be beginning to come off of the rose. I think when my alma mater, Pitt, wins 6 or 7 games this upcoming season that a lot of others around here will be asking the same questions.

And all that I did was repeat what was sad on 105.9 airwaves yesterday.

One 10 win season in 36 years is not good enough for me.

This is more like it instead of some clueless post about 30. As was said maybe 30 if we count water boys, cafeteria workers etc. Of the 6 (4) were promoted or got nice pay raises. And Sims and Peterson were fired.

So witty. Like I said before, sorry I am not a brainless shill like so many on this board. Pitt has been mediocre my entire life. There are things that happen at Pitt that I do not agree with. God forbid that I question the great Duzz. His decision making and recruiting leave a lot to be desired. The bloom may be beginning to come off of the rose. I think when my alma mater, Pitt, wins 6 or 7 games this upcoming season that a lot of others around here will be asking the same questions.

And all that I did was repeat what was sad on 105.9 airwaves yesterday.

One 10 win season in 36 years is not good enough for me.

I had no issue with your post. Go cry to the mods about it.

I asked the guy who started that thread to contextualize his original statement. I reasoned that numbers without context are completely meaningless.

Naturally, he demurred. It’s much easier to make hyperbolic statements and then pretend the sky is falling.

6.....30.....what’s the dif? Close enough for pompous pigs.

Madden said assistant coaches. So stfu

Madden said assistant coaches. So stfu

The thread that was deleted said 30 assistants not 30 assistant coaches. I have no idea what Madden said. I don’t live in PGH and I pretty much only listen to SiriusXM 84. I scrolled Madden’s twitter and didn’t see a tweet so I have no idea if the other thread was correct.

But 30 assisstant coaches in 3 years is almost impossible. This is the 1st year with 10 so that would mean replacing the entire assistant coaching staff every season.

And why are you angry at me? I wasn’t insulting Pitt or Narduzzi, wasn’t even defending Madden. I only provided context for people that were off the rails.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I'm hoping we lose a lot of assistant coaches during the Narduzzi era. It means they are doing a really good job and are desired by the upper tier programs. If we have coaches staying here for a long period of time, that's a massive red flag.

I definitely see your point. To me, the issue isn't whether or not assistants stay or leave, its whether or not they are being recruited by other teams just like you said. Good assistants get recruited. Most head coaches would love to see stability in their staffs if possible. If you are losing assistants to other programs for lateral positions just because of money, thats obviously not a good thing. You want your program to step up financially to prevent that stuff. On the other hand, I certainly would encourage an assistant to make a move for a big promotion. Some schools have built stability because the environment, head coach etc. have created a great quality of life worth more than the extra bucks. Most schools need to out pay competition to keep their best.

Reactions: cashisking884

Yeah, and really Narduzzi didnt lose them. First off, most likely Pitt lost them. Most likely the ones we wanted to retain and lost was due to money. And of course, some we didnt want to retain, and they probably saw the writing on the wall and left. I dont think we will ever know if any high quality coach left strictly due to them not liking our Narduzzi's personality. We just havent seen that.

I asked the guy who started that thread to contextualize his original statement. I reasoned that numbers without context are completely meaningless.

Naturally, he demurred. It’s much easier to make hyperbolic statements and then pretend the sky is falling.
I just presented to everyone what Madden said on his radio show. I know how much all of you love to call him fat to make yourselves feel better. I'm not here to back up his statements for him. He threw in some good jabs the other day about Duzz and his lonely recruit. Because as we all know, one is the loneliest number.

I have many concerns about Narduzzi, as any unbiased Pitt fan should. 10 wins in one season would be awesome.

Canada is much better than Chaney... but both are worlds better than Watson.

every body gets "better dealed" all the time, every job is a stepping stone. There's always a better job out there in college football and if there's not, there is the NFL. if USC who was the elite College program at the time can lose Pete Carroll, no job in college football is a destination job. good programs develop their players and their asst coaches so they can backfill vacancies and not have to look externally all the time.
I think Carroll left because he knew sanctions were coming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT