ADVERTISEMENT

Fan disappointments

GT74

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2001
New Castle
Yes, Pitt fans were disappointed, embarrassed, humiliated by the PSU game. We all were crushed emotionally. But Pitt recovered to beat GT. Nice character check. Well, after looking at Saturday's results, we must all realize that to follow other than a few elite teams, disappointments occur. Unbelievable how many upsets in cfb. Practically, the whole B1G (Wisc, Neb, NW, Rut, Md), Ark, Aub, and a few more. Several close calls also. In addition, some bigger names have fallen on hard times, including Fla St and UCLA. As fans, we must realize that teams aren't perfect every Saturday, and it is easier to lose than it is to win. Pitt fans are always on a roller coaster, but there is always next Saturday to feed our hopes. I just hope Pitt has an elite season while I'm still alive to enjoy it.

Last edited:
Yes, Pitt fans were disappointed, embarrassed, humiliated by the PSU game. We all were crushed emotionally. But Pitt recovered to beat GT. Nice character check. Well, after looking at Saturday's results, we must all realize that to follow other than a few elite teams, disappointments occur. Unbelievable how many upsets in cfb. Practically, the whole B1G (Wisc, Neb, NW, Rut, Md), Ark, Aub, and a few more. Several close calls also. In addition, some bigger names have fallen on hard times, including Fla St and UCLA. As fans, we must realize that teams aren't perfect every Saturday, and it is easier to lose than it is to win. Pitt fans are always on a roller coaster, but there is always next Saturday to feed out hopes. I just hope Pitt has an elite season while I'm still alive to enjoy it.
That’s a bingo....
Well don’t include Auburn

How bad must Ark and FSU be.......bigly

FSU sb able to drive around the blocks a couple times, hire some gym teachers and still be able to field a team capable of beating Syracuse.

Last edited:
Yeah. It happens every where on a regular basis. Pitt fans only think it happens to them.
Don't you think we want to see Pitt play a complete 4 quarter game not just the 1st half. This is my only complaint. And it happens more often then not

Good post OP but next week is a huge game and Pitt better come out with a mission to win.
If they lose, I will be highly pissed.

Reactions: mbe 34
I was impressed by how the team came out and played Saturday. They could’ve fallen down and accepted defeat, but instead came out firing on all cylinders and defended the option the best we’ve done since joining the ACC.

That was a make-or-break game and the team came prepared. Games like those tell you if you have the right coach or not. Now you have to keep it going and beat UNC. Starting 3-1 would be huge.

It's great that we won and our guys appear to be determined and committed to win. All good. What is disappointing to me is the 30+ years of mediocrity. Pitt football has essentially been nothing but a mediocre to worse team for 30+ years now and it doesn't appear that that's going to change. That's what concerns me now.

Reactions: paulbl99
It's great that we won and our guys appear to be determined and committed to win. All good. What is disappointing to me is the 30+ years of mediocrity. Pitt football has essentially been nothing but a mediocre to worse team for 30+ years now and it doesn't appear that that's going to change. That's what concerns me now.
Only now? :D Seriously, and believe me this is not a "pining for Wanny" post , but when Wanny didn't workout, I think that was the last gasp that getting to the 'next level' could ever happen. Since that 2009 Cincy loss it's been basically a tumble since.

Agreed I am fine right now as I sit here, Saturday at about 4pm will determine how j feel about the team the rest of the year. HAVE to beat UNC no excuses. None at all they have so many players out and it's getting old losing to them , there is no reason for it year after year. If we lose to UNC even an upset over UCF AND ND and I still would be a bit disappointed at the end.

Agreed I am fine right now as I sit here, Saturday at about 4pm will determine how j feel about the team the rest of the year. HAVE to beat UNC no excuses. None at all they have so many players out and it's getting old losing to them , there is no reason for it year after year. If we lose to UNC even an upset over UCF AND ND and I still would be a bit disappointed at the end.
Yeah. Want to win every game of course. But reality indicates that's not likely. So if told we'd win one of either UNC or ND (because honestly i'd see beating ND more likely than UCF right now) ... I'll take the UNC win. Obviously the conference win, but also, because if we're sitting at 5 wins at season's end we'll feel extra pain that we were able to beat freaking Notre Dame but not gd UNC, and missed a bowl. And i say this because it's exactly what i said last year, subbing Miami for ND!

Understand......
However if presented w wins over ND/UCF in exchange for UNC loss, would sign on the dotted line at once.

Pitt wastes a game every yr, almost wo exception....I’d take that deal

Can any Rutgers loss really be an upset?
No. They have 149 years of football futility. I know a Rutgers fan who assured me that their entrance into the BigTen would be a ticket into the top level of the college football world. Instead it has been a disaster.

No. They have 149 years of football futility. I know a Rutgers fan who assured me that their entrance into the BigTen would be a ticket into the top level of the college football world. Instead it has been a disaster.
I've heard that too, like the association with the B1G is all it takes.

Reactions: fairgambit
I've heard that too, like the association with the B1G is all it takes.
Rutgers should be in the American Athletic Conference with teams like Temple, Navy, Connecticut, and Cincinnati. Conferences like the BigTen or ACC are a poor fit for their football pedigree.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Rutgers should be in the American Athletic Conference with teams like Temple, Navy, Connecticut, and Cincinnati. Conferences like the BigTen or ACC are a poor fit for their football pedigree.
Yup, especially in the B1G East. They just stand no chance. But hey, they have the tv market and the academics. :confused:

Thanks for stopping by. You should swing by more often. You’re probbaly my favorite poster over on the Penn St board, though that may not be a compliment for you coming from a Pitt fan ;)

Reactions: fairgambit
Yup, especially in the B1G East. They just stand no chance. But hey, they have the tv market and the academics. :confused:

Thanks for stopping by. You should swing by more often. You’re probbaly my favorite poster over on the Penn St board, though that may not be a compliment for you coming from a Pitt fan ;)
I appreciate that. As you may know, my wife is a Pitt grad, as are some of my best friends. I enjoy friendly banter between the schools but hate the ugliness that comes from both sides. I wish Pitt well the rest of the season. There is room enough in this state for two quality football teams.

I appreciate that. As you may know, my wife is a Pitt grad, as are some of my best friends. I enjoy friendly banter between the schools but hate the ugliness that comes from both sides. I wish Pitt well the rest of the season. There is room enough in this state for two quality football teams.

Yes, you are a reasonable poster on the BWI site. I go there infrequently, but there are quite a few 'haters' over there that dominate the Pitt threads. I know, they say our board is an angry one too, lol. Old cliche I heard in grad school; 'full of hate, can't think straight'. I think of it each time I go over there. You are welcome here anytime, join in on the discussions.

Yes, Pitt fans were disappointed, embarrassed, humiliated by the PSU game. We all were crushed emotionally. But Pitt recovered to beat GT. Nice character check. Well, after looking at Saturday's results, we must all realize that to follow other than a few elite teams, disappointments occur. Unbelievable how many upsets in cfb. Practically, the whole B1G (Wisc, Neb, NW, Rut, Md), Ark, Aub, and a few more. Several close calls also. In addition, some bigger names have fallen on hard times, including Fla St and UCLA. As fans, we must realize that teams aren't perfect every Saturday, and it is easier to lose than it is to win. Pitt fans are always on a roller coaster, but there is always next Saturday to feed our hopes. I just hope Pitt has an elite season while I'm still alive to enjoy it.

The loss to PSU was just so bad on so many levels that its hard to recover from that as a fan. I will still go to the games but I have lost all excitement for the season because of that loss.

I feel like we make more out of one loss in college football than we do just about any other sport, unless it’s a playoff NFL game perhaps.

Definitely reasonable given there’s only 12-15 or so games a year (depending on how good your team is obviously), you typically won’t play the same opponent twice, bragging rights/trash talk is intense, and it is one looooong offseason.

Just trying to move on. I’m thinking more about UNC now than that debacle 2 Saturdays ago.

Yes, you are a reasonable poster on the BWI site. I go there infrequently, but there are quite a few 'haters' over there that dominate the Pitt threads. I know, they say our board is an angry one too, lol. Old cliche I heard in grad school; 'full of hate, can't think straight'. I think of it each time I go over there. You are welcome here anytime, join in on the discussions.

Thanks. Over the years I've come to understand that my Pitt friends are not much different than my Penn State friends. They love their school, they received a great education, and they are quality individuals. We banter back and forth but it never turns ugly. Both schools have their share of haters and I suppose it will always be so.

Yeah. It happens every where on a regular basis. Pitt fans only think it happens to them.
Rare, however, that it happens to a team for 40 consecutive years .... that’s Pitt's claim to fame and why Pitt’s fans have the outlook they do

ADVERTISEMENT