ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Pitt Hoops Eras for Being Fun

Jan 5, 2019
New to the board here, so if this has been discussed in the past, my apologies.

In honor of the current team, my Top 8 Pitt hoops "eras" for being fun:

8. Billy Knight Era-One very nice season. Good memories as a kid, to include an NCAA win in Morgantown over St. Joes. This team started my appreciation of Pitt hoops.

7. Gibbs/Wannamaker Era-Some real good teams who won a lot, with some very high rankings. However, the team had the NCAA underachievement pressure and lacked the NYC BE magic that I had become accustomed to.

6. Capel/X/McGowens Era-Yes, this era has just started and most likely a good number of losses are still coming this season. But, first seasons after being dead are always fun. And, the future seems quite bright. Most importantly, X, McGowens, and Toney seem to have the mentality that will thrive some day in an NCAA tourney atmosphere, unlike some past teams that shrunk. An era that could rise in my personal ranking.

5. Clyde Vaughn Era-Team was not a major player in national rankings. It included moving from Eastern Eight to Big East. Field House rocked. I will never forget the fun of sitting on the floor at the Fitz at a noon game in February when Vaughn, Culbertson, Allen, and WIlliams took down Patrick and G-Town. Pitt basketball had moved to the big time league.

4. Sam Clancy Era-A high personal ranking compared to quality of team because of Sam the Man Clancy! Games rarely on TV, but even radio games like Pitt beating Duke on the road were fun. A really good era of Pitt/Dukes City Games.

3. Knight/Page Era-During that time Pitt BB transitioned from Fitz to Pete. Last year home record at the Fitz 16-1. First year at Pete 16-0! Strong teams, great at home, surprising emergence as a power, and a BE Tourney championship. Winning and winning in the biggest places like MSG is more fun.

2. Smith/Gore/Lane/Aiken Era-This era had the best players of any era and was strong nationally and won regular season championships. Memory high point Jerome Lane backboard incident; the low point Goheen.

1. Blair/Fields Era-This team won the most NCAA tourney games. They had a legitimate chance at National Championship without the Reynolds dagger. Many big moments at MSG ("Onions!") Ramon's 3 pointer over WVU, and U Conn to name a few.

8. Billy Knight Era-One very nice season. Good memories as a kid, to include an NCAA win in Morgantown over St. Joes. This team started my appreciation of Pitt hoops.

7. Gibbs/Wannamaker Era-Some real good teams who won a lot, with some very high rankings. However, the team had the NCAA underachievement pressure and lacked the NYC BE magic that I had become accustomed to.

6. Capel/X/McGowens Era-Yes, this era has just started and most likely a good number of losses are still coming this season. But, first seasons after being dead are always fun. And, the future seems quite bright. Most importantly, X, McGowens, and Toney seem to have the mentality that will thrive some day in an NCAA tourney atmosphere, unlike some past teams that shrunk. An era that could rise in my personal ranking.

5. Clyde Vaughn Era-Team was not a major player in national rankings. It included moving from Eastern Eight to Big East. Field House rocked. I will never forget the fun of sitting on the floor at the Fitz at a noon game in February when Vaughn, Culbertson, Allen, and WIlliams took down Patrick and G-Town. Pitt basketball had moved to the big time league.

4. Sam Clancy Era-A high personal ranking compared to quality of team because of Sam the Man Clancy! Games rarely on TV, but even radio games like Pitt beating Duke on the road were fun. A really good era of Pitt/Dukes City Games.

3. Knight/Page Era-During that time Pitt BB transitioned from Fitz to Pete. Last year home record at the Fitz 16-1. First year at Pete 16-0! Strong teams, great at home, surprising emergence as a power, and a BE Tourney championship. Winning and winning in the biggest places like MSG is more fun.

2. Smith/Gore/Lane/Aiken Era-This era had the best players of any era and was strong nationally and won regular season championships. Memory high point Jerome Lane backboard incident; the low point Goheen.

1. Blair/Fields Era-This team won the most NCAA tourney games. They had a legitimate chance at National Championship without the Reynolds dagger. Many big moments at MSG ("Onions!") Ramon's 3 pointer over WVU, and U Conn to name a few.
Great idea! I’ll give my list later.

My eras can go back a little further than yours.
1. It'll start with Brian Generolovich punching out Gale Catlett. Also, in that era when Dave Roman hit the winning shot against WVU, only to have someone on the bench call a timeout.
2. Kent Scott going off for 32 against WVU in a win to close down the Mountaineer Field House with West and Thorne in attendance.
3. Also during the Kent Scott era, when we laid 127 points on Syracuse during the 1970 season. We scored 69 points during the second half. ( I can honestly say, me and Bill Hillgrove are only a handful of people who saw the two highest scoring games in Pitt athletic history against the same school. The other being the football game a couple years ago.)
3. The 1973-1974 team of Knight and Martin. A very special team comprised of all local kids with the exception of Lew Hill and one other. They lost to N C State at Reynolds Collesium in final 8.
4. The 1976-77 team that won six games. That team was worse than last years team because they (76-77) had talent. The bright spot was Larry Harris hitting the corner shot ar the buzzer to beat no.2 Cinncinatti coached by Gale Catlett.
5. All four years of Sam Clancy, as he was a special talent. Who could ever forget his game against Duke with the "G man" Mike Gminski and Gene Banks.
6. Clyde Vaughn leading us to two Eastern Eight championships.
7. Smith, Gore and Lane teams. Lane's dunk will always be this old man's special moment in my 52 years of being a ticket holder.
8. The underachieving Paul Evans' teams.
9. All of the Howland/Dixon teams. Blair, Sam Young, Knight, Troutman, Julius Page. All of them from those teams were just special to watch.
10. This group now is something special and fun to watch. I feel an emptiness when I'm not watching them play.
11. The era's I will never miss are a few years of the Gurgurich era, Willard and the nightmare Barnes and Stallings gave us.

3 this era with capel, x, Trey and Toney. Because we've never had guards like this before and it's exciting
2 Blair, fields and young era. Because it's the closest we got to a final 4
1 knight, page, brown era. Because it was when I first started watching Pitt basketball and became a fan

Reactions: Wilver Dornell
1. It'll start with Brian Generolovich punching out Gale Catlett. Also, in that era when Dave Roman hit the winning shot against WVU, only to have someone on the bench call a timeout.
2. Kent Scott going off for 32 against WVU in a win to close down the Mountaineer Field House with West and Thorne in attendance.
3. Also during the Kent Scott era, when we laid 127 points on Syracuse during the 1970 season. We scored 69 points during the second half. ( I can honestly say, me and Bill Hillgrove are only a handful of people who saw the two highest scoring games in Pitt athletic history against the same school. The other being the football game a couple years ago.)
3. The 1973-1974 team of Knight and Martin. A very special team comprised of all local kids with the exception of Lew Hill and one other. They lost to N C State at Reynolds Collesium in final 8.
4. The 1976-77 team that won six games. That team was worse than last years team because they (76-77) had talent. The bright spot was Larry Harris hitting the corner shot ar the buzzer to beat no.2 Cinncinatti coached by Gale Catlett.
5. All four years of Sam Clancy, as he was a special talent. Who could ever forget his game against Duke with the "G man" Mike Gminski and Gene Banks.
7. Smith, Gore and Lane teams. Lane's dunk will always be this old man's special moment in my 52 years of being a ticket holder.
9. All of the Howland/Dixon teams. Blair, Sam Young, Knight, Troutman, Julius Page. All of them from those teams were just special to watch.
10. This group now is something special and fun to watch. I feel an emptiness when I'm not watching them play.
11. The era's I will never miss are a few years of the Gurgurich era, Willard and the nightmare Barnes and Stallings gave us.

wow, Dave Roman... my brother's head coach at Johnstown Vo-Tech (home of Walnut Heights for all you All the Right Moves fans out there) in the mid 70's..good guy and rarely mentioned in the Pitt forums..

wow, Dave Roman... my brother's head coach at Johnstown Vo-Tech in the early 70's..good guy and rarely mentioned in the pitt forums..
Dave had a special talent for shooting.

No apologies required, nor accepted!!

Here's mine (I started as a rabid Pitt Hoops Fan in 9th grade with the 80-81 team).

Although I might define "eras" a bit differently than you, I'll stick to the spirit of your original post.

10. 2018-2019 (The Amazing Freshman Backcourt) Why not? So much fun so far, and so much more to go.

9. 1988-1989, 1989-1990, 1990-1991 (Shorter, Martin, Matthews, Miler and Porter) Oh, how this could have been higher if Shorter had been healthy as a Senior.

8. 2012-2013, 2013-2014 (Lamar's Days). I'm not sure this qualifies as an era, but the first season of the ACC and the greatness of Lamar will be something I'll always treasure. When Pitt looked like it was slipping, I loved the 13-14 season which might have been special had Durand not torn his knee. But every time I hear "Out of My League" by Fitz and the Tantrums, it brings back great memories of Pitt playing Stanford at the Barclay's Center.

7.. 2005-2006, 2006-2007 (The Tall White guys, to borrow someone else's phrase). This is when it became clear to me that the Golden Era of Pitt Hoops was here to stay!

6. 1981-1982, 1982-1983, 1983-1984 (Clyde!) The beginning of the Big East and my love of Mr. Vaughan.

5. 1980-1981 (Bam!) I jumped on at the tail end of Clancy's career, but this is when I got hooked. I was maybe the only person in my High School totally pumped about Dwayne Wallace's 17 foot leaner to beat Idaho.

4. 2009-2010, 2010-2011 (Ashton and Brad's Days). The 09-10 season will always be one of my very most favorite because of how surprisingly great it was. And a #1 seed season will always be so special in my memory.

3. 1986-1987, 1987-1988. (Smith and Lane and Gore) I probably should remember this time more even fondly than I do, but perhaps the misery Goheen and the disgust of Evans pulls it down a tad. Still these were my Jr. and Sr. years as an undergrad at Pitt, and our winter life revolved around Pitt Hoops. I'll never forget the happiness of picking up a Street and Smith magazine in the fall of 1987 and seeing Pitt all over it.

2. 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004 (The Days of Page, Jaron and Brandin). It's almost hard for me to include 2003-2004 with this era without Knight, Lett and D-Nots. But after the agony of the 1990's, these years of emergence will never be anything short of amazing to me. Maybe not even #2, but 1A.

1. 2007-2008, 2008-2009 era (The Glory of Sam, Dejuan and Levance). The Season of Dreams even if it fell one game short. Add to that Ron's shot, Levance's shot at Duke, a glorious Big East Tournament run and everything else in between.

Here's mine (I started as a rabid Pitt Hoops Fan in 9th grade with the 80-81 team.

Although I might define "eras" a bit differently than you, I'll stick to the spirit of your original post.

10. 2018-2019 (The Amazing Freshman Backcourt) Why not? So much fun so far, and so much more to go.

9. 1988-1989, 1989-1990, 1990-1991 (Shorter, Martin, Matthews, Miler and Porter) Oh, how this could have been higher if Shorter had been healthy as a Senior.

8. 2012-2013, 2013-2014 (Lamar's Days). I'm not sure this qualifies as an era, but the first season of the ACC and the greatness of Lamar will be something I'll always treasure. When Pitt looked like it was slipping, I loved the 13-14 season which might have been special had Durand not torn his knee. But every time I hear "Out of My League" by Fitz and the Tantrums, it brings back great memories of Pitt playing Stanford at the Barclay's Center.

7.. 2005-2006, 2006-2007 (The Tall White guys, to borrow someone else's phrase). This is when it became clear to me that the Golden Era of Pitt Hoops was here to stay!

6. 1981-1982, 1982-1983, 1983-1984 (Clyde!) The beginning of the Big East and my love of Mr. Vaughan.

5. 1980-1981 (Bam!) I jumped on at the tail end of Clancy's career, but this is when I got hooked. I was maybe the only person in my High School totally pumped about Dwayne Wallace's 17 foot leaner to beat Idaho.

4. 2009-2010, 2010-2011 (Ashton and Brad's Days). The 09-10 season will always be one of my very most favorite because of how surprisingly great it was. And a #1 seed season will always be so special in my memory.

3. 1986-1987, 1987-1988. (Smith and Lane and Gore) I probably should remember this time more even fondly than I do, but perhaps the misery Goheen and the disgust of Evans pulls it down a tad. Still these were my Jr. and Sr. years as an undergrad at Pitt, and our winter life revolved around Pitt Hoops. I'll never forget the happiness of picking up a Street and Smith magazine in the fall of 1987 and seeing Pitt all over it.

2. 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004 (The Days of Page, Jaron and Brandin). It's almost hard for me to include 2003-2004 with this era without Knight, Lett and D-Nots. But after the agony of the 1990's these, years of emergence will never be anything short of amazing to me. Maybe not even #2, but 1A.

1. 2007-2008, 2008-2009 era (The Glory of Sam, Dejuan and Levance). The Season of Dreams even if it fell one game short. Add to that Ron's shot, Levance's shot at Duke, a glorious Big East Tournament run and everything else in between.
No mention of Thomas Hamilton?? :)
You would have loved that 73-74 team. Onions, all of them.
Good summary, DT.

Reactions: HOF Coach
No mention of Thomas Hamilton?? :)
You would have loved that 73-74 team. Onions, all of them.
Good summary, DT.

I "know" I watched the 74 NC State game. Wish I had a memory of it.

Was a huge fan of the George Allen/Billy Culbertson teams that were Pitt’s first in the Big East. It was just so amazing to be playing those teams and holding our own and sometimes beating them at home.

The Smith/Lane/Gore teams were when I was a student at Pitt. Loved those guys and really enjoyed watching those teams play. Had Ben Howland been coaching those teams I have no doubt we would’ve seen at least 1 Elite 8 or Final Four team.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
The win over Duke at MSG wsg the biggest win ever in the history of Pitt basketball IMO. Had Scottie Reynolds not existed maybe a win over Nova to get to a final four would have trumped the dukie win.

Reactions: freddietee511
I digress to your memory sir.

Both were unbelievable wins for the program. If my middle aged memory is correct at the same time Fields was hitting his winning shot the Steelers were beating up the Rams a different channel.

The win over Duke at MSG wsg the biggest win ever in the history of Pitt basketball IMO. Had Scottie Reynolds not existed maybe a win over Nova to get to a final four would have trumped the dukie win.
Nothing on the line except pride. Not that relevant......and I enjoyed it immensely. The 2 wins over UCONN in 2009 were much more important.....loved them, too.

Here's mine (I started as a rabid Pitt Hoops Fan in 9th grade with the 80-81 team).

2. 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004 (The Days of Page, Jaron and Brandin). It's almost hard for me to include 2003-2004 with this era without Knight, Lett and D-Nots. But after the agony of the 1990's these, years of emergence will never be anything short of amazing to me. Maybe not even #2, but 1A.

Still wish we beat Louisville on the road that season in 2009. We were leading most of that game. Blair with foul trouble probably was our demise that game.

It shows my age, but I remember listening on the radio to Sam Clancy leading Pitt to a huge upset at Duke in 1979. Steal and dunk at the end of the game if I remember correctly.
I listened to them playing Purdue in San Diego and 6'5" Clancy was owning 7' Joe Barry Carroll. And he played with foul trouble the whole second half.

Nothing on the line except pride. Not that relevant......and I enjoyed it immensely. The 2 wins over UCONN in 2009 were much more important.....loved them, too.
Damm it ...

I hate it when we agree.

It shows my age, but I remember listening on the radio to Sam Clancy leading Pitt to a huge upset at Duke in 1979. Steal and dunk at the end of the game if I remember correctly.
Can't remember all the things that my wife asked me to do today, but like you, remember this game fairly well. That drives my wife crazy. I would love to see the video of that game because Hillgrove's radio description made it sound like one of the greatest individual efforts of all time. I am one of those who thinks Sam would be in the NFL Hall of Fame if he had concentrated on football, but glad he played hoops at Pitt. He was special.

I forgot about the Larry Harris shot against Cinci. Harris could really shoot. I do not recall ever hearing about the Dale Catlett incident! Let's get a win today!

2. 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004 (The Days of Page, Jaron and Brandin). It's almost hard for me to include 2003-2004 with this era without Knight, Lett and D-Nots. But after the agony of the 1990's, these years of emergence will never be anything short of amazing to me. Maybe not even #2, but 1A.

Wow, great list. Good inclusion of Patterson. Thanks for playing along with my questionable groupings of era's! I doubt my definition fit's Webster's! If Capel stays for a while, maybe the best days are still ahead?

My memory of of all the teams and games isn’t quite as detailed but , here’s my list of favorite teams

1) The Billy Knight era , I was at Pitt starting in 71 and he was without a doubt the best all around bb player and the smoothest player I ever saw in a Pitt uniform . The 73/74 season when they won 22 games in a row was unforgettable.

2) The Brain Shorter era .. I still believe had he been eligible in 87 that team would’ve won the NCAA . Adding that freshman class with him included to Smith , Lane and Gore wow! Never saw a better undersized player under the basket , the only fitting description was he was a beast . Martin , Miller and Mathews , Porter and Shorter what a class . The two disappointments were his senior season and the man who coached them .

3) Smith , Lane and Gore unarguably the best talent on a Pitt roster ever . The dunk was on my side of the court , truly an unforgettable moment that lasted close to an hr while they replaced the backboard . Great talent shame they didn’t have the coach to take advantage of those players .

4) DBlair era , closest Pitt came to running the table . Sam Young was special and Gibbs and Fields were great college bb players .

5) Holland era , brought Pitt back from the disastrous Willard yrs . Knight , Brown and Page great times .

6) Here’s one not on anyone’s list 74/75 Melvin Bennett’s freshman yr . He and Larry Harris were in the same class and he was probably the best athlete I ever saw in a Pitt uniform. Took bad advise and left after his freshman yr . What could’ve been !

7) The Sam Clancy era , Sam was a beast around the basket not as gifted a scorer as Shorter , but no one including Blair would’ve taken a rebound off of Sam .

I won’t rate this yrs team yet because they’ve got the potential to top this list before they’re done at Pitt . Exciting times lie ahead for Pitt bb !

Reactions: Wilver Dornell

Wow. I can quibble about maybe one of those teams from 4-10 being up 1 or down 1, but that list is pretty much exactly what teams and how they are ordered. Of course, I am guessing we are within a year or 2 of each other in age, so that also makes sense on how we viewed these.

Damm it ...

I hate it when we agree.
Blind squirrel/acorn. I recall that big embrace leaving the Garden that night....and the meetup at that saloon around the corner..have some pics of that group.

Clancy actually missed his first shot, got the rebound and scored on the follow up. He took the first shot early because he incorrectly thought that there wasn't enough time to get the ball all the way to the basket. In fact he had the timing off by so much that even after Pitt scored there was time for Duke to call a timeout and get off a shot to tie the game back up at the buzzer, which Mike Gminski missed.

Reactions: BFo8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT