ADVERTISEMENT

FDU Game & Other Dribbles ...

About Jorge D-G--- He is value added when he is on the wing as a forward with Hugley inside. Much less valuable when he has to sub for Hugley. His lack of weight and strength hurt him when playing the 5--but much less an issue when he is on the wing (just what one would expect). This makes me believe that it would be better if Federiko subs for Hugley and Jorge stays on the wing when Hugley is on the bench.

The only reason Jorge was kinda playing the five was because FDU played the whole game with a bunch of little guys on the court. If you can believe the pregame lineup announcement their second tallest starter was 6-2 (5-8, 5-9, 6-1, 6-2, 6-7). Federiko and Guillermo would have been completely lost on the defensive end trying to guard anyone that FDU put on the court.

On offense Jorge was never really playing the five. He played the way that he always has. And on defense we were switching on almost every screen, so it didn't matter who you started guarding, because you probably weren't going to still be guarding them by the time the possession ended.

Reactions: Drew1208
How can you constantly hype up recruits but once they’re on campus act like you didnt? You can’t have it both ways

My biggest miss was Femi to a degree. However,

As a junior in a reduced role, Femi has an ORTG offensive power rating of 120, which is fantastic as a backup player. My biggest gripe with Capel is allowing his point guards to have extremely high usage rates and thinking they are / were way better than they were. When the usage rate goes down, the efficiency rate is going up. The same can be said for X, who is doing quite well this year in a much more limited usage role. X going from a usage rate of 30 down to 20 was wise by Indiana's head coach. And that's what I said should have been done with X and Femi many, many times, reduce the usage rate.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
My biggest miss was Femi to a degree. However,

As a junior in a reduced role, Femi has an ORTG offensive power rating of 120, which is fantastic as a backup player. My biggest gripe with Capel is allowing his point guards to have extremely high usage rates and thinking they are / were way better than they were. When the usage rate goes down, the efficiency rate is going up. The same can be said for X, who is doing quite well this year in a much more limited usage role. X going from a usage rate of 30 down to 20 was wise by Indiana's head coach. And that's what I said should have been done with X and Femi many, many times, reduce the usage rate.
Fair enough about reducing usage but that involves having capable players which Pitt most certainly didn’t have. Those 2 had to play that much and it isn’t even debatable.

Fair enough about reducing usage but that involves having capable players which Pitt most certainly didn’t have. Those 2 had to play that much and it isn’t even debatable.

Its not just the players itself. Its how the entire offense runs its sets in general with the players being used.

As I mentioned in another thread, the biggest disappointment to me is not having 1 actual point guard on this roster (should be 2) since Capel has been here. Everything has been combo guards trying to learn how to play the point. That even includes Mintz and his 18 points per game, he is very much a combo guard that is much more of a 2 than a point guard.

The only actual point guard is Dior in the last 5 years, and Capel didnt even recruit him. We finally have 1 true point guard in Jaland Lowe after 5 years. Finally... Its hard to believe actually.

Elliot's issue is that if he isn't hitting threes he doesn't appear to do anything else at even an average level. He's not particularly a good passer. He turns the ball over a lot. He doesn't really draw many fouls (no surprise, given his game). He doesn't defend well at all. I guess he's an OK rebounder for a 2/3.

He has to hit threes to be effective at any level at all.
He rebounds well for his athleticism

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Its not just the players itself. Its how the entire offense runs its sets in general with the players being used.

As I mentioned in another thread, the biggest disappointment to me is not having 1 actual point guard on this roster (should be 2) since Capel has been here. Everything has been combo guards trying to learn how to play the point. That even includes Mintz and his 18 points per game, he is very much a combo guard that is much more of a 2 than a point guard.

The only actual point guard is Dior in the last 5 years, and Capel didnt even recruit him. We finally have 1 true point guard in Jaland Lowe after 5 years. Finally... Its hard to believe actually.
Yea I misspoke a little bit. However the point remains that Femi and X had to be used (playing time and advanced stats wise) as much as possible. Even with their faults they offered the best chance of Pitt winning.

And I couldn’t agree more on the point guard and guard thing generally. I posted somewhere else that when you look at the collection on the whole, it’s mind numbingly inadequate.

Reactions: Drew1208
ADVERTISEMENT