ADVERTISEMENT

First of all, I'd like to wish all a Happy Thanksgiving and THEN I'd like to talk about Rivalry Week for College football...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
This is the week that most true college football fans wait for all season. Fans of all schools have that one team that they truly enjoy beating. some examples are...
- Mississippi State - Ole Miss
- Baylor - Texas
- Arizona State - Arizona
- North Carolina State - North Carolina
- Florida - Florida State
- Georgia Tech - Georgia
- South Carolina - Clemson
- Louisville - Kentucky
- Auburn - Alabama
- Oregon - Oregon State
- Nevada - UNLV
- Tennessee - Vanderbilt
- Kansas State - Kansas
- Washington - Washington State
- Virginia - Virginia Tech
- USC - Notre Dame
- Michigan State - Penn State
- Pitt - Miami, Fla.
Yep, I went through all of that to point out that yet again, those arrogant douche bags in state college have ruined one of the best rivalries in the history of college football. Growing up, this was the week that every Pennsylvanian football looked forward to, the annual Pitt - penn state football game. The game could have been played on Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, it wouldn't have mattered because the game would have been sold out weeks in advance. Neither school would have had to lie about the attendance at the game because it would have been SRO regardless of the teams record or location of the game.
This year we are again forced to pretend that the Pitt - Miami game and the Michigan State - penn state football games are something special. THEY ARE NOT.
The leadership at both Pitt and penn state need to get off their rear ends and make this game ASAP. Stop with the silly excuses about not having enough open dates, not having a "NEED" to play the other school, etc... .
Heather Lyke and her penn state counterpart need to make it happen.

This is the week that most true college football fans wait for all season. Fans of all schools have that one team that they truly enjoy beating. some examples are...
- Baylor - Texas
- Georgia Tech - Georgia
- Louisville - Kentucky
- Auburn - Alabama
- Oregon - Oregon State
- Nevada - UNLV
- Tennessee - Vanderbilt
- Kansas State - Kansas
- USC - Notre Dame
- Pitt - Miami, Fla.
Yep, I went through all of that to point out that yet again, those arrogant douche bags in state college have ruined one of the best rivalries in the history of college football. Growing up, this was the week that every Pennsylvanian football looked forward to, the annual Pitt - penn state football game. The game could have been played on Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, it wouldn't have mattered because the game would have been sold out weeks in advance. Neither school would have had to lie about the attendance at the game because it would have been SRO regardless of the teams record or location of the game.
This year we are again forced to pretend that the Pitt - Miami game and the Michigan State - penn state football games are something special. THEY ARE NOT.
The leadership at both Pitt and penn state need to get off their rear ends and make this game ASAP. Stop with the silly excuses about not having enough open dates, not having a "NEED" to play the other school, etc... .
Penn State does not want to play the game. There is nothing Pitt can do about it.

Penn State does not want to play the game. There is nothing Pitt can do about it.
Sauce...I understand that, but they need to get beyond that and make it happen. Keep the pressure on penn state, if they have to, Pitt should never play them again in any sport until they agree to play each other. Have politicians apply some pressure by threatening to withhold state monies that the schools receive. I don't know what the answer is, but it needs to get worked out.

Sauce...I understand that, but they need to get beyond that and make it happen. Keep the pressure on penn state, if they have to, Pitt should never play them again in any sport until they agree to play each other. Have politicians apply some pressure by threatening to withhold state monies that the schools receive. I don't know what the answer is, but it needs to get worked out.
Do you really think not playing them in an Olympic Sport matters? Come on man.

Most of the politicians have ties to PS. They just go along with what they want.

PissU is a filthy, scumbag program with a sexual pervert as a head coach. I don't want them anywhere near Pittsburgh. Let them rot in hell.

Do you really think not playing them in an Olympic Sport matters? Come on man.

Most of the politicians have ties to PS. They just go along with what they want.

If Heather Lyke would just kidnap the Penn State AD and waterboard her until she signs a contract then everything would be taken care of.

Get it done, by any means necessary.

🤪

Not sure if still in place but big 10 had a rule of playing all ooc games first in scheduled. So it became impossible. Penn st has their land grant trophy which is the equivalent to the river city rivalry trophy. Unfortunately the Penn st Pitt end of season rivalry week game will never again happen.

That's fine, but that game does not compare with a Pitt - penn state game.
To me it's just as good, a real annual game vs. Penn State has been gone over 20 years, WVU became the Big Game in the last decade of the Big East and I actually enjoy that rivalry more at this point.

But back in the 80s and earlier, Pitt/Penn State was one of the BIGGEST rivalry games, ranking with tOSU/Michigan or USC/UCLA or Alabama/Auburn. what other truly big rivalry game on that level has been destroyed?

Reactions: PITT 76
I lived in central Pa for 35 years. There are two things PSU alumni want more than anything from their AD, a national football championship and do not play PITT. They make PITT ADs look foolish way to often.

To me it's just as good, a real annual game vs. Penn State has been gone over 20 years, WVU became the Big Game in the last decade of the Big East and I actually enjoy that rivalry more at this point.

But back in the 80s and earlier, Pitt/Penn State was one of the BIGGEST rivalry games, ranking with tOSU/Michigan or USC/UCLA or Alabama/Auburn. what other truly big rivalry game on that level has been destroyed?
Texas vs Texas A&M
Nebraska vs Oklahoma

I used to love the Pitt v PSU game, and looked forward to it more than anything during the season.

I was pissed when Joe killed it; but now I don’t want Pitt to have any association at all, in any sport, with the enablers.

WVU was an acceptable season ending game when we were in The Big East, but we’ve moved on to a much better conference, and WVU isn’t in the ACC. I’m okay with playing them at most a couple of times a decade, now.

I used to love the Pitt v PSU game, and looked forward to it more than anything during the season.

I was pissed when Joe killed it; but now I don’t want Pitt to have any association at all, in any sport, with the enablers.

WVU was an acceptable season ending game when we were in The Big East, but we’ve moved on to a much better conference, and WVU isn’t in the ACC. I’m okay with playing them at most a couple of times a decade, now.
Do we (and WVU) have the autonomy within our conferences to work with them and move it to an annual game on Thanksgiving weekend? Assuming we do, why the heck not? It’s likely the biggest slam dunk in sports there is. Why are the simplest things so impossible for this university?

The precedent exists with multiple other schools within our conference (GT, FSU etc). We have the WORST ‘rival’ games now that could exist for any school. Think if the favor we’d be doing for Miami (or Syracuse!).

Just freaking do it! Geez. Especially while Pitt is still playing college football, which is no longer perennially assured. I’ll ask agin, how is this not an automatic to do?

Do we (and WVU) have the autonomy within our conferences to work with them and move it to an annual game on Thanksgiving weekend? Assuming we do, why the heck not? It’s likely the biggest slam dunk in sports there is. Why are the simplest things so impossible for this university?

The precedent exists with multiple other schools within our conference (GT, FSU etc). We have the WORST ‘rival’ games now that could exist for any school. Think if the favor we’d be doing for Miami (or Syracuse!).

Just freaking do it! Geez. Especially while Pitt is still playing college football, which is no longer perennially assured. I’ll ask agin, how is this not an automatic to do?
The Big 12 doesn't do non conference games this week, ever. The ACC would surely accommodate Pitt playing WVU this week, since half the conference plays an SEC team Saturday, but the Big 12 might not.

I assume that the Big 12 does not let WVU play Pitt at the end of the season, so we can play them every yr, but in Sept instead of Thanksgiving. Big 10 is the same way.

Texas vs Texas A&M
Nebraska vs Oklahoma
Nebraska vs Oklahoma happened this year! But I knew what you meant; the 1980s Neb vs Ou games. I never thought I’d think this but I miss Nebraska as a top 10 program.

The Brawl is a real rivalry. Penn State is a team we played a couple times recently. They don’t even deserve being in the same conversation. Brawl > Penn State
Nope...Pretending it is does not make it so...90% of Pitt fans will root for WVU when they play Penn State next year thus disproving your premise...

Last edited:
- Baylor - Texas
- Georgia Tech - Georgia
- Louisville - Kentucky
- Auburn - Alabama
- Oregon - Oregon State
- Nevada - UNLV
- Tennessee - Vanderbilt
- Kansas State - Kansas
- USC - Notre Dame
- Pitt - Miami, Fla.

Pitt and PSU are the only in-state P5 schools that dont play other than Texas A&M/the Big 12 schools

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
The Big 12 doesn't do non conference games this week, ever. The ACC would surely accommodate Pitt playing WVU this week, since half the conference plays an SEC team Saturday, but the Big 12 might not.
Really? Going forward (after, well we know, leave) it likely would be the biggest audience of any game involving a B12 team all year. They’d rather WVU play TCU or whatever? I think the network needs consulted and some calls need to be made.

I lived in central Pa for 35 years. There are two things PSU alumni want more than anything from their AD, a national football championship and do not play PITT. They make PITT ADs look foolish way to often.
I live in central PA now and most of the cult members that I know would love for Pitt and PSU to play every year. They also want the teams to figure it out somehow and many have said that Pitt is their only true rival.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
The Brawl is a real rivalry. Penn State is a team we played a couple times recently. They don’t even deserve being in the same conversation. Brawl > Penn State
I imagine you're younger. Prior to 2000, the PITT-PENN STATE game was THE Rivalry. Neighborhoods and families were split along rooting interests for at least game week and frequently for the whole year.

Games that had already occurred were discussed over and over.

West Virginia was always an interesting game, but it never had the impact of Pitt-PSU until Joe Paterno pulled the plug on the historic rivalry.

If I had a magic scheduling wand, I would have Pitt play both teams annually. Unfortunately, people in power at PSU don't want the game. It is what it is.

The only games of that magnitude that no longer exist on a regular level are TEXAS-TEXAS A&M and OKLAHOMA-NEBRASKA. I imagine the two TX schools will meet on a regular basis again when the SEC expansion goes into effect.

Why not, doesn't Clemson play South Carolina, Florida/Florida State, Georgia/Georgia Tech? THREE other ACC teams play out of conference rivalry games this weekend.

The vast majority of Pitt fans are wrong.
says the kid who will root for dear old state when they play the hoopies next year...true Pitt fans would root for Al-Qaida University if they played the Nitters and would a yelling allahu akbar the whole damn game.. that kind of hate young man is what makes the most intense rivalry and not your silly mandates...

Why not, doesn't Clemson play South Carolina, Florida/Florida State, Georgia/Georgia Tech? THREE other ACC teams play out of conference rivalry games this weekend.
Louisville-Kentucky too. Those are all ACC-SEC match-ups.

- Baylor - Texas
- Georgia Tech - Georgia
- Louisville - Kentucky
- Auburn - Alabama
- Oregon - Oregon State
- Nevada - UNLV
- Tennessee - Vanderbilt
- Kansas State - Kansas
- USC - Notre Dame
- Pitt - Miami, Fla.
We were one dropped pass by a wide open tight end from going 0-4 against them. Careful what you wish for.

Reactions: GoMarines
We were one dropped pass by a wide open tight end from going 0-4 against them. Careful what you wish for.
That's okay as well. It is not about beating them all the time. Obviously that is the goal for both schools, it is that fan build that occurs on both sides of the game that creates the excitement about the game. Right now, both schools are missing out on that.
The Pitt - WVU rivalry is nice, but the Pitt - psu rivalry was and IS better, even to this day.
Pitt needs both WVU and psu on their schedule each year to give fans a reason to purchase those season tickets. Playing schools like Syracuse, Va. Tech and Miami are nice, but for most Pitt fans they don't move the meter enough for them to g buy tickets and attend the games.
psu despite the nonsense they spout about "not needing" to play Pitt, needs the game as well.
psu football fans like to believe that Ohio State and Michigan view them as their peers and fear playing them. The reality of that is Ohio State and Michigan view them as nothing more then the "red headed stepchild" that was forced upon the family.
Of Pitt went 4-0 or 0-4, it wouldn't matter, just get the game played yearly.

That's okay as well. It is not about beating them all the time. Obviously that is the goal for both schools, it is that fan build that occurs on both sides of the game that creates the excitement about the game. Right now, both schools are missing out on that.
The Pitt - WVU rivalry is nice, but the Pitt - psu rivalry was and IS better, even to this day.
Pitt needs both WVU and psu on their schedule each year to give fans a reason to purchase those season tickets. Playing schools like Syracuse, Va. Tech and Miami are nice, but for most Pitt fans they don't move the meter enough for them to g buy tickets and attend the games.
psu despite the nonsense they spout about "not needing" to play Pitt, needs the game as well.
psu football fans like to believe that Ohio State and Michigan view them as their peers and fear playing them. The reality of that is Ohio State and Michigan view them as nothing more then the "red headed stepchild" that was forced upon the family.
Of Pitt went 4-0 or 0-4, it wouldn't matter, just get the game played yearly.
If you are OK with losing to them every year, you're a better person than I am. We are a consistent, middling, 7-5 program and two of the 4 games weren't even competitive. Losing to them tends to ruing my weekend and even month. And the statement that PSU needs the game as much as Pitt does is blue and gold colored glasses nonsense. Playing Pitt isn't going to get them one more recruit or sell one more season ticket. The game was important for a time back in the late seventies and early eighties when both teams were very good and loaded with PA players. And before you lose your Thanksgiving dinner over that consider we are 2 and 10 in the last 12 games against them

If you are OK with losing to them every year, you're a better person than I am. We are a consistent, middling, 7-5 program and two of the 4 games weren't even competitive. Losing to them tends to ruing my weekend and even month. And the statement that PSU needs the game as much as Pitt does is blue and gold colored glasses nonsense. Playing Pitt isn't going to get them one more recruit or sell one more season ticket. The game was important for a time back in the late seventies and early eighties when both teams were very good and loaded with PA players. And before you lose your Thanksgiving dinner over that consider we are 2 and 10 in the last 12 games against the
I understand everything that you said, BUT none of that matters. I want to see the two schools play each other EVERY YEAR. Naturally I would want to see Pitt win and if they didn't it would suck and bother me as well. That's just part of the enjoyment of playing them.
In regards to them "needing" to play Pitt, they do. psu will get the recruits that they want for the most part any way. Their ticket sales would certainly increase. Even right now, here is ALWAYS tickets available for a psu home game. I Have a neighbor who has season tickets for them and he is the one who told me that 5 years ago and he said that it is no different now. Maybe a Michigan or Ohio State game gets them close to selling out but they are available.
The reality of it is, Pitt should NEVER avoid playing any team. If you can't beat a certain team, then you work on getting better at whatever your team is performing poorly at.
Play psu, WVU, Clemson, ND...PLAY THEM ALL!!

I understand everything that you said, BUT none of that matters. I want to see the two schools play each other EVERY YEAR. Naturally I would want to see Pitt win and if they didn't it would suck and bother me as well. That's just part of the enjoyment of playing them.
In regards to them "needing" to play Pitt, they do. psu will get the recruits that they want for the most part any way. Their ticket sales would certainly increase. Even right now, here is ALWAYS tickets available for a psu home game. I Have a neighbor who has season tickets for them and he is the one who told me that 5 years ago and he said that it is no different now. Maybe a Michigan or Ohio State game gets them close to selling out but they are available.
The reality of it is, Pitt should NEVER avoid playing any team. If you can't beat a certain team, then you work on getting better at whatever your team is performing poorly at.
Play psu, WVU, Clemson, ND...PLAY THEM ALL!!
No coach in their right mind is ever going to want to play PSU, WVU, and N Dame, on top of a conference schedule every year. That is just not being realistic. And as far as Pitt trying to get better so we can compete with PSU annually, we have been trying for the past 40 years! And of course PSU fans want to play the game cause they know they have a realistic chance of beating our brains out every year.

ADVERTISEMENT