ADVERTISEMENT

First Wrestling Experience

Pantherguy4

Freshman
Jan 22, 2017
West Mifflin
Mine was in phys ed class. There were 12 of us in our phys ed class my high school freshman year. Six of us were freshmen and six were sophomores. Our gym teacher decided to have a wrestling competition between the two classes. I was last guy up. I was wrestling a sophomore named Glenn (Nice kid) who had about 15 pounds on me. We freshmen lost the first five matches. In my match, I was able to get a pin after about three minutes. This was my first wrestling experience and it sparked my respect and love for the sport to this day. In my opinion, there is no finer sport in which to participate.

Reactions: Mikefln
I had much older brothers (11years +) that wrestled. I wrestled in 3rd and 4th grade and again in 7th and 8th. I wanted to wrestle in HS but the school dropped the program over the summer of going into freshman year. It was a Catholic school and the reason why I chose that school was they were AAA in football and had a wrestling team. The Catholic school I should have went to (my brothers and sister went there along with 80% of my Catholic grade school) was AA football and got rid of the wrestling team the year before. When I showed up to the first day of football practice freshman year I found out they we dropped down to AA football, and during the first week of school I found the wrestling program was dropped also. So basically the 2 reasons why I went there were gone. If I could do it over, I would have asked to co op at a public school or demanded to my parents that I go to Central Catholic, because I really loved the sport and was half way decent too.

First grade I loved it traveled all over the northeast Midwest doing it was very very good then just got burnt out by 7 grade I found football and didn’t wrestle again til senior year in hs needless to say 5 years away hurt my overall ability still placed at wpials but wasn’t close to what I thought I would be lol

In 7th grade our junior nigh team was undefeated and I went to the matches after school. Joined the team in 8th and got my butt kicked however wrestled in two matches and went 1-1. Ninety grade went undefeated and never looked back. What a sensational sport, nothing else compares.

3rd grade. Dad's friend said "he should try wrestling" so he took me to a practice. Loved it and never stopped loving it.

ADVERTISEMENT