ADVERTISEMENT

FLASHBACK: "This is Myron Cope on sports!"

HOF Coach

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2012

PERSONAL NOTES:
1. I was at this AFC Championship Game, played in dismal rainy/icy conditions. Because of getting soaked while sitting in the cold air, I ended up with bronchitis and missed a week of work...oh, well..."Pittsburgh is going to the Super Bowl!"
2. Safety Mike Wagner is one of my all-time favorite Steelers. Made big time plays in big time games, especially against the Dallas Cowboys.
3. Got to know Myron when he covered the Pitt basketball team as a reporter during the great 1973-1974 Panthers season. Really a nice guy on a personal basis and quite different than his on-air schtick.
4. Speaking of nice guys, I've never met anyone better than Bill Hillgrove. So happy to see Billy receiving so many prestigious broadcasting awards as his career nears its end. Well done, Mr. Hillgrove!

PERSONAL NOTES:
1. I was at this AFC Championship Game, played in dismal rainy/icy conditions. Because of getting soaked while sitting in the cold air, I ended up with bronchitis and missed a week of work...oh, well..."Pittsburgh is going to the Super Bowl!"
2. Safety Mike Wagner is one of my all-time favorite Steelers. Made big time plays in big time games, especially against the Dallas Cowboys.
3. Got to know Myron when he covered the Pitt basketball team as a reporter during the great 1973-1974 Panthers season. Really a nice guy on a personal basis and quite different than his on-air schtick.
4. Speaking of nice guys, I've never met anyone better than Bill Hillgrove. So happy to see Billy receiving so many prestigious broadcasting awards as his career nears its end. Well done, Mr. Hillgrove!
Love how the guy who gets cheapshotted and carried off the field is the “loudmouth”. Myron was the biggest homer and endearing to yinzer nation because of it.

Love how the guy who gets cheapshotted and carried off the field is the “loudmouth”. Myron was the biggest homer and endearing to yinzer nation because of it.
However by contrast, Raiders safety Jack Tatum would have taken Barber's head off on that play and not given a penalty either. So there's that too back in that era of the NFL.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The best safeties, then and now, have that "mess you up" attitude wired ... for better or worse. Better then; worse now!

Steelers fans, then and now, would have loved Tatum and Atkinson (and Reed, etc) if they had been Steelers.

Donnie Shell, Glen Edwards and Wagner were only slightly less head-hunty than those guys.

Given those guidelines, Pitt hasn't had a truly great safety since Ramon Walker (who definitely had it). One of my favs of the Mediocre Era (which we have been in since circa 1990).

Whitehead was ok, but really closer to a Corner, at least for us.

Reactions: Pitt79
Steelers fans, then and now, would have loved Tatum and Atkinson (and Reed, etc) if they had been Steelers.
This is so true, like today, living in Baltimore area, I always tell Steelers fans, "You'd love Ray Lewis if he was a Steeler" and then tell Ravens fans, "You'd love Hines Ward if he was a Raven", and they all claim NO, but that's BS. Don't give me the Ray Lewis is a murderer BS, I'm just talking about as a player, and for me to like a player, the A-hole doesn't have to be a good person or give kids autographs etc. just kick ass on the TV SHOW.

Reactions: paulbl99
Myron was the biggest homer and endearing to yinzer nation because of it.

That's why he was fun, I miss the days of Myron and Bob Prince and Mike Lange, Howard Cossell, I loved the crazy ass announcers that stirred controversy and said crazy crap, had their own catch phrases, ZOWIE, that made you laugh even if it didn't make sense- Buy Sam a beer and get his dog one too! I prefer that to the modern, professional, slick announcers who can explain the cover 2.

We will never have announcers like those guys anymore, they all have to fit a mold now in style and appearance, they have to be generic.

Last edited:
That's why he was fun, I miss the days of Myron and Bob Prince and Mike Lange, Howard Cossell, I loved the crazy ass announcers that stirred controversy and said crazy crap, had their own catch phrases, ZOWIE, that made you laugh even if it didn't make sense! I prefer that to the modern, professional, slick announcers who can explain the cover 2.
The only bad thing about Myron was he was followed on air by Grandpa Munsters watergoy/ French Poodle....Stan Savran. To this day hearing his voice makes me want to puke.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Adding to my own post above...like Tatum or Atkinson etc ... likewise Myron Cope (or Harey Carey etc) are typically the kind of announcers that are loved in THEIR town, and mocked or scoffed at in others.

The only bad thing about Myron was he was followed on air by Grandpa Munsters watergoy/ French Poodle....Stan Savran. To this day hearing his voice makes me want to puke.
Stan and Bob Pompeani I never got? They where BORING! Especially Bob, to this day just looking at the dull expression on his face as he drones on and on in that monotone puts me to sleep.

Adding to my own post above...like Tatum or Atkinson etc ... likewise Myron Cope (or Harey Carey etc) are typically the kind of announcers that are loved in THEIR town, and mocked or scoffed at in others.
Makes total sense, they meant for it to be that way, their whole schtick was "being one of us".

Wagner was ahead of his time. Knew the dangers of helmet to helmet contact and CTE so he went low.

These head to head penalties in the nfl, this is the only way to play it anymore. Go low.

The best safeties, then and now, have that "mess you up" attitude wired ... for better or worse. Better then; worse now!

Donnie Shell, Glen Edwards and Wagner were only slightly less head-hunty than those guys.

Given those guidelines, Pitt hasn't had a truly great safety since Ramon Walker (who definitely had it). One of my favs of the Mediocre Era (which we have been in since circa 1990).

Yep. Nailed it.

Stan and Bob Pompeani I never got? They where BORING! Especially Bob, to this day just looking at the dull expression on his face as he drones on and on in that monotone puts me to sleep.
But Pomp can dance and I do mean dance. Plus his wife is hot.

Stan worst EVAH, EVAH!!!!! sorry dude no comparison to Pomp...like him or not Pomp rules over the burgh

But Pomp can dance and I do mean dance. Plus his wife is hot.

Stan worst EVAH, EVAH!!!!! sorry dude no comparison to Pomp...like him or not Pomp rules over the burgh
I just find him boring, it's mostly his expressionless stone face and monotone droning voice.

PERSONAL NOTES:

WRONG. Tatum and Atkinson were filthy dirty as opposed to tough. Of course we always have to thank Tatum for the Immaculate Reception. If he would have done his job and knocked the pass down instead of trying to take Fuqua's head off the ball never ricoshets back to Franco.

However by contrast, Raiders safety Jack Tatum would have taken Barber's head off on that play and not given a penalty either. So there's that too back in that era of the NFL.
I like how Cope bought Noll’s explanation that Wagner lost the track of the ball and that’s why he did it. And I also like how Cope justifies it because Wagner was a nice guy. Nice guy or not, he likely knew what he was doing and if he didn’t, he should have. Geno Malkin is a nice guy too but he can be dirty. And you don’t get any nicer than crosby and he once punched a guy in the nuts.

Stan at least had talent enough to analyze the games and stir up conversation on both radio and his longtime TV show with Guy Junker.

Pomp is a boring TelePrompTer reader. Just watch him have to do something unscripted like The Nightly Sports Call or the Steelers preseason games. Nothing of substance and one “uh” and “um” after another. Rumor has it, some of the old school guys around Pittsburgh sports call him “Wink” after Wink Martindale because of his on air persona.

WRONG. Tatum and Atkinson were filthy dirty as opposed to tough. Of course we always have to thank Tatum for the Immaculate Reception. If he would have done his job and knocked the pass down instead of trying to take Fuqua's head off the ball never ricoshets back to Franco.
LOL! This made my point!

Steelers fans hate Ray Lewis. But HE'S A PERFECT STEELER and you all would of loved him if he wore black & gold.

Pomp is a boring TelePrompTer reader. Just watch him have to do something unscripted like The Nightly Sports Call or the Steelers preseason games. Nothing of substance and one “uh” and “um” after another. Rumor has it, some of the old school guys around Pittsburgh sports call him “Wink” after Wink Martindale because of his on air persona.

THIS^^^ I always wondered who he knew (or blew) to get this job! IMO he may be the absolute most drab and boring TV Sports talking head in world history.

LOL! This made my point!

Steelers fans hate Ray Lewis. But HE'S A PERFECT STEELER and you all would of loved him if he wore black & gold.
up until he was involved in a homicide.. actually, bunch of punks outside a night club, who really cares about that either.. i'd have probably liked him more..

up until he was involved in a homicide.. actually, bunch of punks outside a night club, who really cares about that either.. i'd have probably liked him more..
I don't buy that either. Ben and Harrison have been accused of "stuff", after they played REAL GOOD some more, most people got over it. WE WOULD OF LOVED HIM if he wore the correct colors.

I don't buy that either. Ben and Harrison have been accused of "stuff", after they played REAL GOOD some more, most people got over it. WE WOULD OF LOVED HIM if he wore the correct colors.
of course, you hate players for the other team if they are good.. you don't hate mediocre players for your rivals.. I hate the ravens so I hate suggs, lewis, ed reed.. If they weren't good, you wouldn't hate them.. that's how rivalries work.

No steeler fans have ever said the words "I hate Ed Dickson". As a steeler fan, I've never hated Justin Forsett. I haven't hated a Cleveland brown since Webster Slaughter in the late 80's..

us.

This quote summed up Donnie “The Torpedo” Shell’s approach to playing safety, and made him a perfect Steeler - he once said to his defensive teammates:

“If you’re not going to hit him, get out of the way so I can hit him!”

Go Pitt.

Reactions: HOF Coach
of course, you hate players for the other team if they are good.. you don't hate mediocre players for your rivals.. I hate the ravens so I hate suggs, lewis, ed reed.. If they weren't good, you wouldn't hate them.. that's how rivalries work.

No steeler fans have ever said the words "I hate Ed Dickson". As a steeler fan, I've never hated Justin Forsett. I haven't hated a Cleveland brown since Webster Slaughter in the late 80's..
Right, and your guy's hard hit is clean, and the other guy's is dirty. Ravens fans most hated Steeler is Hines Ward, they love to call him dirty for some of his blind side, yet legal blocks. But we LOVE that he jacked people up and got away with it, and they would too if his jersey was purple.

Right, and your guy's hard hit is clean, and the other guy's is dirty. Ravens fans most hated Steeler is Hines Ward, they love to call him dirty for some of his blind side, yet legal blocks. But we LOVE that he jacked people up and got away with it, and they would too if his jersey was purple.
no where is that more present than in hockey.. every hit against the pens (Or any home team, all fan bases are guilty) is cheap but if it's our guy, well "that's hockey."

one of our guys gets hit, well the NHL has to suspend him or else. that's why the NHL sucks, Canadian neandrathals running the league blah blah blah. A penguin lays a dude out? Meh, no big deal, it was close..

I even see the hypocrisy in local media with regards to hockey hits for and against penguins..

I agree. That forearm that Attkisson put to Swanns head for example. But... did you ever see the play where Glen Edwards hit Ken Anderson with a similar forearm to the head (and it was out of bounds)? I think it may even have been that same season. Knocked Anderson out of the game and the Steelers, losing at the time, came back to win. As a 11 years old or so Steelers fan, I screamed about Atkinson's hit... but i'm sure i cheered Edwards hit. And so did my 40 something dad...

Edit ... looked it up. The steelers actually still lost the game

Last edited:
LOL! This made my point!

I think Ray Lewis is the best MLB in history or at least in the top 3. I hated him because he was a Raven but he wasn't dirty and would have taken him in a second.

I agree. That forearm that Attkisson put to Swanns head for example. But... did you ever see the play where Glen Edwards hit Ken Anderson with a similar forearm to the head (and it was out of bounds)? I think it may even have been that same season. Knocked Anderson out of the game and the Steelers, losing at the time, came back to win. As a 11 years old or so Steelers fan, I screamed about Atkinson's hit... but i'm sure i cheered Edwards hit. And so did my 40 something dad...

Edit ... looked it up. The steelers actually still lost the game
The Steelers certainly went outside the limits at times. When you play the game as hard and tough as they did it is going to happen. But they didn't do it as a rule Like Tatum did or Burfect does today.

I like how Cope bought Noll’s explanation that Wagner lost the track of the ball and that’s why he did it. And I also like how Cope justifies it because Wagner was a nice guy. Nice guy or not, he likely knew what he was doing and if he didn’t, he should have. Geno Malkin is a nice guy too but he can be dirty. And you don’t get any nicer than crosby and he once punched a guy in the nuts.
The point is although that hit would have been dirty if Wagner did it knowing Barber didn't catch the ball, which no one really knows, Wagner wasn't known as a dirty player. He didn't have the rep of a guy who would take out someone's knees on purpose and he had been in the league 6 or 7 years at the time. He was well respected as a good hard but clean hitter. That was the point Myron was trying to make.

The Steelers certainly went outside the limits at times. When you play the game as hard and tough as they did it is going to happen. But they didn't do it as a rule Like Tatum did or Burfect does today.
You misspelled Burfect . It's a-s-s-h-o-l-e . There fixed it for you .

Reactions: wbrpanther
I do recall the Oilers were pretty annoying with that Luv Ya Blue stuff. Barber did seem to be a cocky yapping kind of player as I recall. Not saying that excused a cheap shot. But maybe didn't dissuade Wagner from taking advantage of the opp.

As a kid and Scooby Doo fan I gotta say it was not unamused to see him shaking his fist at Wagner like a Scooby villain chasing the Mystery Machine.

I do recall the Oilers were pretty annoying with that Luv Ya Blue stuff. Barber did seem to be a cocky yapping kind of player as I recall. Not saying that excused a cheap shot. But maybe didn't dissuade Wagner from taking advantage of the opp.

As a kid and Scooby Doo fan I gotta say it was not unamused to see him shaking his fist at Wagner like a Scooby villain chasing the Mystery Machine.
Yeah gotta love Bum though .
Believe Bum had the black n gold in mind .

Man. I totally forgot about that
Yeah Bum was always an entertaining dude that's for sure .
He didn't deserve that though .

Man. I totally forgot about that
Yeah Bum was always an entertaining dude that's for sure .
He didn't deserve that though .
I liked Bum. He tried his damnest and so did his players. I always respected them for that.

Reactions: mike 301
I liked Bum. He tried his damnest and so did his players. I always respected them for that.
Wow .
Big differences from then til now .
With the advent of slo-mo, hi def . Hell even a fans freakin cell phone. Having any of those , those days would have been way less nostalgic .
Thank God I grew up when I grew up .
Today , it's just watered down , let's take a look at it from 4 different angles
did he touch him or not bull crap . But first a word from Burger King .

Do any of you guys remember when channel 4 would break out Myron with his Cope-ro-scope for playoff matchups? He used to look into a little microscope and forecast what he saw coming for the upcoming game. It was some really funny stuff! It was pretty silly as well but he would say "YOI" like 10 times, and it really cracked me up!

Do any of you guys remember when channel 4 would break out Myron with his Cope-ro-scope for playoff matchups? He used to look into a little microscope and forecast what he saw coming for the upcoming game. It was some really funny stuff! It was pretty silly as well but he would say "YOI" like 10 times, and it really cracked me up!
Do you remember this TV classic?

Reactions: 88Pitt88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT