ADVERTISEMENT

Florida and Georgia continue to see decline in covid cases

Daily focus on Covid cases is a waste of time it isn't a key metric.

As far as immunity goes that's a positive. The more people who get Covid and recover is a plus.

Covid will spread and most will recover.

A key metric is hospitalizations compared to equivalent hospital capacity.

If hospitalizations increase that means the at risk group isnt being managed or protected.
Thats a concern.

One HC scientist said Covid is likely to be around for a long time. Covid cases will increase over time for a while not decrease regardless of what we do. A vaccine may never be available, many treatments will be available, population immunity is the key maybe 70%, at that time Covid cases will turn down and Covid will be easily managed.

As far as immunity goes that's a positive. The more people who get Covid and recover is a plus.

If hospitalizations increase that means the at risk group isnt being managed or protected.
Thats a concern.

One HC scientist said Covid is likely to be around for a long time. Covid cases will increase over time for a while not decrease regardless of what we do. A vaccine may never be available, many treatments will be available, population immunity is the key maybe 70%, at that time Covid cases will turn down and Covid will be easily managed.
If immunity is actually conferred -
Which isn’t known
And since recovered patients were reinfected

which isn’t hopeful

Reactions: lilspainishflea

Thats a concern.

Or deaths. Sometimes the people aren’t even being hospitalized like at nursing homes. Need to watch the rate carefully.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Right.

And nothing can be done to reduce cases. “Regardless of what we do”. Apparently someone can do it - plenty of other countries have. A few have had relatively few problems to begin with.

Depends on population, population density and population mobility.
Europe, China, & the US had the big challenges.
Smaller countries on % of population had issues, and very small isolated countries had no Covid.

Depends on population, population density and population mobility.
Europe, China, & the US had the big challenges.
Smaller countries on % of population had issues, and very small isolated countries had no Covid.

I’m certain that’s a factor. However, Germany seemed to do ok. And I was addressing reducing cases - which many countries did.

I’m certain that’s a factor. However, Germany seemed to do ok. And I was addressing reducing cases - which many countries did.
Germany and the US had approx the same performance on a percentage basis.
Other than Africa or very small countries they were all similar on a percentage basis.
I guess you can find a hole in the wall country that noone goes to that did ok.

Last edited:
because mass testing , contact tracing , and responsible social distancing are too hard concepts for Americans

We have 4.2% of the worlds population and well over 20% of the cases. And as of the other day at least 30 countries were ahead of us in per capita testing so it’s not because we’re testing more. I would imagine a deeper analysis is needed to know exactly what all that all means but I’m pretty confident it’s not good even though countries like Russia and China are likely underreported.

Or deaths. Sometimes the people aren’t even being hospitalized like at nursing homes. Need to watch the rate carefully.
Yes but the nursing home death rate isn't representative of the communities the homes are located in..
Nursing home Covid management is a area of its own.
Some areas have a lot of nursing homes with high death rates yet the communities they're located in have low Covid numbers.
FL with a high level of nursing homes managed them well.
NY didn't, WA didn't, which made the Covid issue worse in those states.
Of the US deaths NY, NJ, and WA were around 50% of the total.

Yes but the nursing home death rate isn't representative of the communities the homes are located in..
Some areas have a lot of nursing homes with high death rates yet the communities they're located in have low Covid numbers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article242780116.html

Any report is inaccurate. If want a lot of what "experts" say is true that most cases show minor or no symptoms, then how the hell can you tell how many people have it. So many people have not been tested. Hell, both me and my wife were under the weather two months ago. Maybe we had it, maybe we didn't. We don't know.

Plus, I heard (will have to try and find the source, it was an interesting article). that hospitals get more money if cause of death is COVID 19. So a patient could have it, but actually died from something else, but cause of death will be listed as COVID 19.

Not down playing the severity, but questioning any numbers. I wonder want the death rate is if they factor out nursing homes.

Buffet is like Sybil!
He wants to talk accurate statistics, but he can't even keep up with his multiple posting identities!
I wonder if they all plan to vote?

Reactions: PittPanther44
Buffet is like Sybil!
He wants to talk accurate statistics, but he can't even keep up with his multiple posting identities!
I wonder if they all plan to vote?

Weird bird he is. It’s like he thinks he’s a Dear Leader surrogate and that posting misinformation is gonna be influential. His opinions are whatever. Who cares. But the constant posting of stuff as if it’s fact - stuff that’s easily disprovable with a simple google search - it’s quite something.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Weird bird he is. It’s like he thinks he’s a Dear Leader surrogate and that posting misinformation is gonna be influential. His opinions are whatever. Who cares. But the constant posting of stuff as if it’s fact - stuff that’s easily disprovable with a simple google search - it’s quite something.
It’s the pure gameplan to hope those reading lack critical thinking skills - so are dazZled by bullshi

Any report is inaccurate. If want a lot of what "experts" say is true that most cases show minor or no symptoms, then how the hell can you tell how many people have it. So many people have not been tested. Hell, both me and my wife were under the weather two months ago. Maybe we had it, maybe we didn't. We don't know.

Plus, I heard (will have to try and find the source, it was an interesting article). that hospitals get more money if cause of death is COVID 19. So a patient could have it, but actually died from something else, but cause of death will be listed as COVID 19.

Not down playing the severity, but questioning any numbers. I wonder want the death rate is if they factor out nursing homes.

Here is an article discussing the benefits of listing death as COVID
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ore-covid-19-patients-coronavirus/3000638001/

It’s the pure gameplan to hope those reading lack critical thinking skills - so are dazZled by bullshi

Oh yea I get that. I know that’s the broad game plan. Just odd to me that it’s being done in this board. But I guess every little bit counts. It’s become clear rubes and marks are abundant so maybe it will work. For some it’s become a cult. And not cult like. An actual cult.

People will refuse to get immunized. Have you read your facebook friends posts lately? We should barricade the nursing homes and quarantine everybody greater than 65yyrs old for 1 month. We can then move the Fourth of July up to next week and tell everybody to show up without face masks. Heavy drinking and fornication will be encouraged. It can be a national 3 day Woodstock like event. It's time to let it rip.

Last edited:
You are trying to use reason with posters who react with emotion and just hate "orange man".

Oh yea I get that. I know that’s the broad game plan. Just odd to me that it’s being done in this board. But I guess every little bit counts. It’s become clear rubes and marks are abundant so maybe it will work. For some it’s become a cult. And not cult like. An actual cult.

I thought it was mostly uneducated, middle age to old, straight white dudes who lost their feeling of superiority in a world that they never adapted to.

But I see it in the OT portion of this board (who you would think are PITT educated folks, right?)

Its not so much that people have to hate on the “orange man no matter what” as someone said. It’s that he is so far removed from being qualified to do that job, that it’s impossible not to react. And then the “defense” becomes very cult like since you would think most reasonable people wouldn’t even engage in that defense.

As a political neutral, I love healthy debate. But for the aforementioned reasons, it’s not possible with some.

Very Paterno like. A guy that is different that what people thought still gets blindly defended by this provincial, false supremacy. I’m surprised Pitt folks fall for it because it’s a lot of mentality we see with PSU

Yes, that is it. Thanks!

any back and forth nuances of undercount/overcount
have to be settle through the excess death equation.

Many people think it’s undercounted because people die at home. Others think there might be some shady people that over count for reasons in that article. Great, let’s say BOTH happen and even more are OVER counted

But the bottom line is the person is dead. And there are remarkably consistent “average deaths per month” in a given area over the last 5 years. Therefore the “excess deaths above previous max” either have to be COVID or another unknown anomaly.

The aggregate total of “COVID less excess deaths” is short by about 10K deaths. So either they are undercounted by that amount or there is another anomaly not seen in the previous 60 months. So if even if you say shady hospitals contributed to 5K,10k, 15k that are over counted, all that does is move more to the part of the afore mentioned equation that is short.

So that either means it was undercounted in other ways OR there is another (perhaps even bigger) anomalous death factor that didn’t exist in the last 60 months in all these places. If so what is it? There is no answer to that other than conjecture and hyperbole.

This is why...unfortunately...In aggregate we likely have an undercount regardless of the contributing nuances that influence the ups and downs.

Last edited:
I live in GA

GA is not seeing any decline in cases at all any way you try to spin the data.

in fact since Kemp’s brain dead decision it’s gotten worse

in fact since Kemp’s brain dead decision it’s gotten worse

How has it gotten worse? Did something happen in the last 3 days?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/15/business/georgia-reopening-3-weeks-later/index.html

Since reopening late last month, Georgia hasn't seen a spike in coronavirus cases, Johns Hopkins said. But there also hasn't been a significant decrease in new case counts.
Georgia's rate of new cases has been trending unsteadily downward in recent days, per Johns Hopkins. The state averaged 669 new cases a day over a seven-day period that ended May 13, down about 6% from the previous week.

If immunity is actually conferred -
Which isn’t known
And since recovered patients were reinfected

which isn’t hopeful
If that's the case it's unlikely a vaccine will work either. But since people are making antibodies( including t cells) the chance that there won't be some immunity is very very low. How long that last is anyone's guess but the tcells typically last for years.

Germany and the US had approx the same performance on a percentage basis.
Other than Africa or very small countries they were all similar on a percentage basis.
I guess you can find a hole in the wall country that noone goes to that did ok.
And how many of those countries are actually testing and reporting cases accurately. North Korea seems to have done better than anyone else

How has it gotten worse? Did something happen in the last 3 days?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/15/business/georgia-reopening-3-weeks-later/index.html

Since reopening late last month, Georgia hasn't seen a spike in coronavirus cases, Johns Hopkins said. But there also hasn't been a significant decrease in new case counts.
Georgia's rate of new cases has been trending unsteadily downward in recent days, per Johns Hopkins. The state averaged 669 new cases a day over a seven-day period that ended May 13, down about 6% from the previous week.

because looking at county data they’ve had overnight jumps in more than one area. Neighboring Monroe county for example.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu...-georgia-coronavirus-case-data-lag-2020-5?amp

The number cases are going to get worse as the states start to open. The vast majority will recover. The ones who are the most vulnerable (elderly, people with health issues) need to be cautious moving forward. We can't stay hunkered down forever.

Ultimately, the people will decide when things will open up, not the government. In Virginia, the beaches were closed on Saturday, but that didn't stop people from going. This will continue...

EYL2tGoXQAIfZv9

https://www.pilotonline.com/busines...0200516-bwnano4lhrhhhmjc6iw35d6t6m-story.html

Reactions: palpitt
The article may prove to be true. However, I'm not seeing how things are worse?
Because CNN isn’t telling you about overnight jumps in particular counties

for gods sake look at Texas... pretty massive jumps in the past week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT