ADVERTISEMENT

Florida has a dude signed who is 7'9"

Last edited:
Cue the old chant" great big white guy". from the BE Miami days.

I wasn't aware of those chants, haha, but I do remember watching him back in the day.

constantin-popa-c069a6ed-167c-43a7-9c7d-6ea422a06c1-resize-750.jpeg

Saw about this kid on ESPN. We'll see how long his body holds out under the pounding.

Saw a video from a few years ago about Ralph Sampson. He was back at Virginia for a hoops game. Someone tossed him a basketball. He tried to dunk multiple times and couldn't. His knees are that bad. Imagine being 7'4" and not being able to dunk. Sad.

Saw about this kid on ESPN. We'll see how long his body holds out under the pounding.

Saw a video from a few years ago about Ralph Sampson. He was back at Virginia for a hoops game. Someone tossed him a basketball. He tried to dunk multiple times and couldn't. His knees are that bad. Imagine being 7'4" and not being able to dunk. Sad.
He is 60 years old.

https://247sports.com/recruitment/olivier-rioux-161232/recruitinterests/

Profile lists him at 7'6", but I read he is now 7'9" and I believe it said he will be the tallest college basketball player ever. Doubt he'll ever amount to anything (in the videos I watched, he looks "okay" athletically but certainly well below D1 caliber athleticism), but it's interesting nonetheless.
He actually looks well-proportioned and somewhat athletic, most of those super tall guys are usually very geeky or super anorexic.

https://247sports.com/recruitment/olivier-rioux-161232/recruitinterests/

Profile lists him at 7'6", but I read he is now 7'9" and I believe it said he will be the tallest college basketball player ever. Doubt he'll ever amount to anything (in the videos I watched, he looks "okay" athletically but certainly well below D1 caliber athleticism), but it's interesting nonetheless.
My social media algorithms keep pulling up clips of him because you know how it is, you watch one and then you get flooded with others. And when I first watched I swore the basket was shorter The kid doesn’t even need to jump to dunk.

If you're 7'9" and can't start in high school, regardless of which school it is, the odds of thriving in D1 would seem to be slim.
Well, he could develop into Zack Edey, that would be good for his team, even if he's the next Tacko Fall that's ok too. I'm sure he could make a living playing basketball somewhere for a while.

Reactions: passedout
Well, he could develop into Zack Edey, that would be good for his team, even if he's the next Tacko Fall that's ok too. I'm sure he could make a living playing basketball somewhere for a while.

Ha, maybe. But I feel like 7'9" is approaching a debilitating height. Like instead of "still developing," I'm thinking he might be more like "has a limited number of years left to walk without leg braces." Hope that's not the case, obviously.

Ha, maybe. But I feel like 7'9" is approaching a debilitating height. Like instead of "still developing," I'm thinking he might be more like "has a limited number of years left to walk without leg braces." Hope that's not the case, obviously.
You're probably right, then again, Manute Bol and George Muresan played somewhat effectively for a few NBA seasons.

I doubt he's actually 7'9. Probably 7'5 or 7'6. I have seen clips on him and he seems fairly skilled for being that big. This isnt that Slenderman dude from that prep school in NE Ohio or Kenny George from UNC-Asheville. I think he's an above average multi-year starter eventually.

I doubt he's actually 7'9. Probably 7'5 or 7'6. I have seen clips on him and he seems fairly skilled for being that big. This isnt that Slenderman dude from that prep school in NE Ohio or Kenny George from UNC-Asheville. I think he's an above average multi-year starter eventually.

Supposedly was up to 7'7" and then he grew two inches to 7'9". I mean this isn't like a Rivals listing or something. This is CNN, Fox, etc.

The kid is almost 8 feet tall, which is insane. And he might even get to 8.

Supposedly was up to 7'7" and then he grew two inches to 7'9". I mean this isn't like a Rivals listing or something. This is CNN, Fox, etc.

The kid is almost 8 feet tall, which is insane. And he might even get to 8.

You believe CNN and Fox News? JK but where do you think they got their info? From the Florida roster website. Its possible he is 7'9 but I doubt it. If anything, its with shoes on, which is usually how basketball player heights are measured until you get to the NBA. Hinson was measured at 6'5 and that's hurt his stock.

You believe CNN and Fox News? JK but where do you think they got their info? From the Florida roster website. Its possible he is 7'9 but I doubt it. If anything, its with shoes on, which is usually how basketball player heights are measured until you get to the NBA. Hinson was measured at 6'5 and that's hurt his stock.

Maybe he is 5'7". If he flips from Florida basketball to play wide receiver at Pitt, that will basically settle it.

Maybe he is 5'7". If he flips from Florida basketball to play wide receiver at Pitt, that will basically settle it.

I have crazy youth bball clips in my algorithm and I saw this 6'6 6th grader monstering people. Like how can you be that big at that age? Kid looked like a D1 TE right now. Not like some super skinny uncoordinated dude. BTW, at the same tournament in Myrtle Beach, I saw clips of Micah Mason's son going off. His dad is trying to make him be like a social media star. He's actually really good. Definite D1. Not sure what level yet but really really skilled for his age.

Kenny George actually played OK, his legs must have gave out or something?

Fwiw he claims on Instagram he's 7'7" barefoot and 7'9" in shoes. Looks about right, seems to be roughly Muresan sized. That's probably his ceiling as a player if he doesn't get hurt. Yao Ming is the only guy over 7'5" I can think of who had good skills.

it happens...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT