ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** It’s not tough for me to remember the date. The last time I was this pissed after a Pitt Hoops game was March 18, 2016.

** On that day, I was pissed that the season had ended with an NCAA Tournament game I believe we should have won. I was pissed that Jamie Dixon played Alonzo Nelson-Adoda as much as he did instead of Ryan Luther. And I was also pissed that I spent most of the night within my rage fighting with dozens and dozens of my message board brethren who were convinced this game was the final evidence needed to demonstrate Dixon need to be fired.

** I was just about as pissed in the final minute of today’s game, not to mention afterward. I was pissed when it became clear we just weren’t going to pull this out, and I was pissed that I got into a pissing match with my good friend about referees.

** I’m still pissed. But to be perfectly honest, I’m pretty glad that I’m pissed.

** Being pissed means that I’m invested, and invested in a big way actually, and much more than I have been for almost seven years. It also means that losing this game is a big deal, or at least a much bigger deal than losing a game has been since the aforementioned date in since 2016.

** I get it that this loss is by no means the end of the world, let alone the end of this season. Even after the Louisville win, I said the following: "So now we come home for three, and our win probability for each is over 60%. Get at least two of them and perhaps even the most skeptical fan will completely put to rest that a big slide could still make a mark."

** The only problem of course is that of the three this was the one we expected to win the most. I suspect that only after the Miami game can we understand were things really stand.

** Nonetheless, I’ll confess I was really looking forward to a big and convincing win today. And when we went up by 10 points early on, I was mostly sure that’s what we would get. It felt like this would be the kind of steamroller at home that NCAA Tournament teams snag against inferior foes.

** But the Basketball gods are often fickle, and five Seminole three pointers later, it was clear they had other ideas.

** I watched this game to enjoy it instead of analyze it. I met friends at Fuel and Fuddle, where I ran into @Mike83 . We both agreed how great it was to care once again. But because of this particular kind of pregame disposition, I’ll have to do a rewatch to offer a better explanation of what went wrong.

** My general impression is that Florida State length bothered us on offense in the first half in much the same way that Duke’s length did.

** I don’t know exactly why, put we really seem to stop moving the ball against length. The first half didn't offer much ball movement. It was just lots of standing and shooting, or should I say bad shooting.

** I honestly didn’t have too much of a problem with our defense. Plain and simply, I felt Florida State just did a really great job hitting some really tough shots. And there are times when the only way to counter a hot shooting team is outscore them. That’s what I thought the Panthers could have done to win this. Instead, our guys only scored 5 points in the final five minutes.

** My Son’s take about what went wrong is that Nelly and Blake switched haircuts since Wednesday. That might be it.

** Whatever it is, I can only hope that Capel and company can get it figured out by Wednesday.

** While I’m certainly glad to be feeling something, even pissed, after a Pitt hoops loss, like the rest of you I’d surely much rather be excited while talking about NCAA tournament seeds. Let's get back to that!

** It’s not tough for me to remember the date. The last time I was this pissed after a Pitt Hoops game was March 18, 2016.

** On that day, I was pissed that the season had ended with an NCAA Tournament game I believe we should have won. I was pissed that Jamie Dixon played Alonzo Nelson-Adoda as much as he did instead of Ryan Luther. And I was also pissed that I spent most of the night within my rage fighting with dozens and dozens of my message board brethren who were convinced this game was the final evidence needed to demonstrate Dixon need to be fired.

** I was just about as pissed in the final minute of today’s game, not to mention afterward. I was pissed when it became clear we just weren’t going to pull this out, and I was pissed that I got into a pissing match with my good friend about referees.

** I’m still pissed. But to be perfectly honest, I’m pretty glad that I’m pissed.

** Being pissed means that I’m invested, and invested in a big way actually, and much more than I have been for almost seven years. It also means that losing this game is a big deal, or at least a much bigger deal than losing a game has been since the aforementioned date in since 2016.

** I get it that this loss is by no means the end of the world, let alone the end of this season. Even after the Louisville win, I said the following: "So now we come home for three, and our win probability for each is over 60%. Get at least two of them and perhaps even the most skeptical fan will completely put to rest that a big slide could still make a mark."

** The only problem of course is that of the three this was the one we expected to win the most. I suspect that only after the Miami game can we understand were things really stand.

** Nonetheless, I’ll confess I was really looking forward to a big and convincing win today. And when we went up by 10 points early on, I was mostly sure that’s what we would get. It felt like this would be the kind of steamroller at home that NCAA Tournament teams snag against inferior foes.

** But the Basketball gods are often fickle, and five Seminole three pointers later, it was clear they had other ideas.

** I watched this game to enjoy it instead of analyze it. I met friends at Fuel and Fuddle, where I ran into @Mike83 . We both agreed how great it was to care once again. But because of this particular kind of pregame disposition, I’ll have to do a rewatch to offer a better explanation of what went wrong.

** My general impression is that Florida State length bothered us on offense in the first half in much the same way that Duke’s length did.

** I don’t know exactly why, put we really seem to stop moving the ball against length. The first half wasn't ball movement. It was just lots of standing and shooting, or should I say bad shooting.

** I honestly didn’t have too much of a problem with our defense. Plain and simply, I felt Florida State just did a really great job hitting some really tough shots. And there are times when the only way to counter a hot shooting team is outscore them. That’s what I thought the Panthers could have done to win this. Instead, our guys only scored 5 points in the final five minutes.

** My Son’s take about what went wrong is that Nelly and Blake switched haircuts since Wednesday. That might be it.

** Whatever it is, I can only hope that Capel can get it figured out by Wednesday.

** While I’m certainly glad to be feeling something, even pissed, after a Pitt hoops loss, like the rest of you I’d surely much rather be excited while talking about NCAA tournament seeds. Let's get back to that!
Issue is we're gonna go from a 9 seed by Lunardi to out imo right now after this loss. Can't overstate how bad this loss was.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther

** I don’t know exactly why, put we really seem to stop moving the ball against length. The first half didn't offer much ball movement. It was just lots of standing and shooting, or should I say bad shooting.

** Whatever it is, I can only hope that Capel and company can get it figured out by Wednesday.

Capel agreed the problem was much like the Duke problem without mentioning Duke.

He said we would manage to get a guard isolated on a big but failed to move the ball to capitalize on it.

The most disappointing part about this game is that this team seemed to understand their roles and who they need to go to in the last few minutes of close games but seems like they all forgot about that today. Burton should always have the ball in his hands in those situations. Nobody else.

Reactions: jctrack
and I was pissed that I got into a pissing match with my good friend about referees.

10-1/2 minutes into the second half the refs called a foul on Pitt. Some guy sitting behind me and across the aisle started yelling at the refs that they sucked and that they better start calling things on the other end of the court too.

It was our first team foul of the half.

I don't remember what it ended up in the first half, but when we first shot a one and one we had been called for two team fouls.

10-1/2 minutes into the second half the refs called a foul on Pitt. Some guy sitting behind me and across the aisle started yelling at the refs that they sucked and that they better start calling things on the other end of the court too.

It was our first team foul of the half.

I don't remember what it ended up in the first half, but when we first shot a one and one we had been called for two team fouls.

Refs miss calls. It's a tough game to officiate and it's never going to be perfect. To me, constant complaining about the one you don't get seems like a bit of a waste of effort.

Reactions: rockypanther
Refs miss calls. It's a tough game to officiate and it's never going to be perfect. To me, constant complaining about the one you don't get seems like a bit of a waste of effort.

When you outscore a team 15-5 in the first 5:16 of the first half, and then 21-6 over the first 7:30 of the second half, and get outscored over the other 27:14 of the game 60-28 the problem is most certainly not the refs.

When you outscore a team 15-5 in the first 5:16 of the first half, and then 21-6 over the first 7:30 of the second half, and get outscored over the other 27:14 of the game 60-28 the problem is most certainly not the refs.
Correct. JC pointed out exactly what you are saying in his post game in the context of how they were not able to sustain the energy level after they took the lead early and then after they came back in the second half.

Reactions: rockypanther

We did not play well today on offense or on defense. Yes, Florida State hit both tough shots and a few lucky shots but we just didn't play well enough. And Florida State shot the ball really well.

Also, this is a bit of a different Florida State team. They had players hurt, suspended, sick, and all kinds of stuff this year. There is a reason nba scouts were at this game tonight. Players like Baba Miller who was suspended the first half of the season is now back.

They are going to finish better than what people think. With that said, we need to win games like today to turn the corner and we just didnt get the job done in multiple facets of the game.

Regroup and win the next 2, and we are right back to where we need to be. Cant dwell on a loss like this.

Good to see you today - 🍻

Hate to point to one guy but this one was on Nellie. Have to make some shots.

Capel agreed the problem was much like the Duke problem without mentioning Duke.

He said we would manage to get a guard isolated on a big but failed to move the ball to capitalize on it.

"move the ball". That was the key. Our ball movement was horrendous. A lot of dribbling once again and no ball movement.

This was our one best chance to get a win in this 3 game homestand. Now to get close to where we were before this game, we MUST win the next 2 against WF and Miami. That's a tall task for any team. I know we have to look at this in the total context of the whole season. But timing is everything. This loss came at a very inopportune time.

The game turned because of 2 huge plays. We had a lazy inbounds pass from Elliott to JB that ended up in FSU’s hands for an easy 3 and then after a rebound, Hinson had a terrible pass that was picked off and again they hit an open 3. Those 2 plays have them 6 and cost us 2 possessions.

You are correct in that the D was not that bad. FSU did make a bunch of really tough shots. However, our pick and roll D with their bugs was not good enough and if not for Fede, it could have been worse.

Also, once we cut it to 1 at 65-64, we again had 2 big plays that sealed the deal. Elliott was too worried about Green getting to the hoop when we had more than enough help at the top of the key and let Green drain a huge 3. Then on the next possession, Hinson should have pumped faked with Cleveland flying at him, but shot any way and got swatted.

The next 3 games will dictate where the season goes. We could very easily lose all 3 and go to 6-6. At the very least, we need 1 and if we could get 2, we’d still be in good shape at 8-4.

Of course, the size hurts, but that isn’t what always hurts us. Our offense can be going very well with great movement and then, the ball starts to stick. It happens for at least one stretch in most games. We get a little too carried away at times with the one on one ball and when we do, we take way to long to get into our offense. For the first 5-7 minutes of each half, we were moving the ball quickly and finding good shots. We scored 15 points in less than 5 minutes in the first half and then 21 points in about the first 7 minutes of the 2nd half and only scored 28 points in the remaining 28 minutes. The D didn’t change, the length didn’t change, but we stopped moving the ball.

We had a lazy inbounds pass from Elliott to JB that ended up in FSU’s hands for an easy 3

That wasn't so much a lazy pass as that Burton took his eyes off the ball, so the pass hit him right in the hands and he didn't catch it and it went right to the defender.

FSU had 13 turnovers and we had 12, yet for some reason most all of ours seemed glaring -- perhaps because many were of the unforced variety and, as Bethlehem John said, several led to big 3-pointers for FSU. We fouled a 3-point shooter late in the 2nd half which was a killer, too.

Nelly is a nice little player, and I'm glad he's here. But I think I'd like him better if he were Dior's backup. As the ACC grind continues, it's clear he's not quite the caliber of PG needed to excel in this league. And his lack of size is an issue. 1-8 from 3 today really hurt. Hitting 1 or 2 more and it's a different game.

Bench play was also important today. We've gotten nice contributions from Nike, GDG and Santos of late. Today, they gave us basically nothing. Nike was plain bad. Too often he goes one-on-one and just launches shots. We needed better from him today.

All in all, FSU was just better in just about every facet of the game today. They are definitely a better team than their record indicates, too.

For the most part this team plays as a collective. Any one of several guys could be the leader on a given day, but there seems to be no one guy that everyone turns to when needing To carry the team through a tough stretch.

For this team that mostly has been good because there isn’t a Justin to shut down to take Pitt out of the game. On the other hand there isn’t a Justin to take over the game either.

In the past you would just walk away from this loss with the hope that it is a step in team learning and if it doesn’t help the team this year it will certainly help next year. But I suspect for teams like Pitt ( at least under Jeff) one year will not translate to the next that much.

The grind has hit ALL college teams at this point and kids are mentally and physically tired. Hopefully the kids can get through it.

I still think the NCCA Tournament hopes aren’t completely gone just yet after this loss. Yes it will hurt and stick out but the good news is Pitt will have a chance to offset this loss at home this week by winning games against both Wake Forest and Miami. Their NET after this loss dropped from 50 to 65 which is a big drop but not terrible. We feared this would probably happen at least one time to one of these teams. It was better it happened against Florida State and not Georgia Tech or Louisville I think. We will see how Capel handles this and how this team bounces back moving forward.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Of course, the size hurts, but that isn’t what always hurts us. Our offense can be going very well with great movement and then, the ball starts to stick. It happens for at least one stretch in most games. We get a little too carried away at times with the one on one ball and when we do, we take way to long to get into our offense. For the first 5-7 minutes of each half, we were moving the ball quickly and finding good shots. We scored 15 points in less than 5 minutes in the first half and then 21 points in about the first 7 minutes of the 2nd half and only scored 28 points in the remaining 28 minutes. The D didn’t change, the length didn’t change, but we stopped moving the ball.
That is what frustrates me when we play hero ball for stretches and stop running our sets and moving the ball. That is all on the coach to get that corrected especially when it goes on for stretches and is so obvious the team needs to redirected. If it’s one player like Nell simply take him out for a period of time. I don’t get why it is so difficult to intervene and correct that when we get stuck in playing one on one for our offense. That cost us the Clemson game too.

For the most part this team plays as a collective. Any one of several guys could be the leader on a given day, but there seems to be no one guy that everyone turns to when needing To carry the team through a tough stretch.

For this team that mostly has been good because there isn’t a Justin to shut down to take Pitt out of the game. On the other hand there isn’t a Justin to take over the game either.

In the past you would just walk away from this loss with the hope that it is a step in team learning and if it doesn’t help the team this year it will certainly help next year. But I suspect for teams like Pitt ( at least under Jeff) one year will not translate to the next that much.

The grind has hit ALL college teams at this point and kids are mentally and physically tired. Hopefully the kids can get through it.
Can’t say I agree with you. Jamarius is the definition of a guy to lean on and we seem to lean on him plenty when we’re struggling on offense. That’s pretty much why we erased a 10-pt deficit at the start of the 2nd half.

We just couldn’t sustain it the last half of the second. Credit FSU for that.

The game turned because of 2 huge plays. We had a lazy inbounds pass from Elliott to JB that ended up in FSU’s hands for an easy 3 and then after a rebound, Hinson had a terrible pass that was picked off and again they hit an open 3. Those 2 plays have them 6 and cost us 2 possessions.

You are correct in that the D was not that bad. FSU did make a bunch of really tough shots. However, our pick and roll D with their bugs was not good enough and if not for Fede, it could have been worse.

Also, once we cut it to 1 at 65-64, we again had 2 big plays that sealed the deal. Elliott was too worried about Green getting to the hoop when we had more than enough help at the top of the key and let Green drain a huge 3. Then on the next possession, Hinson should have pumped faked with Cleveland flying at him, but shot any way and got swatted.

The next 3 games will dictate where the season goes. We could very easily lose all 3 and go to 6-6. At the very least, we need 1 and if we could get 2, we’d still be in good shape at 8-4.
This is correct. Unlike many, I wasn’t particularly pissed, nor do I think Pitt lost to a bad team. We lost to a team with a bad record, for sure. But FSU spread the court, moved the ball effectively, and most importantly drained their threes. Green is an amazing shooter — nothing but net. Gave me Gerry McNamara vibes with how quickly and accurately he got off shots. We got our share of open looks as well, but didn’t sink them. At one point in the first half FSU was 86% from 3. Toward the end of the game, we were 17%. I don’t recall where both teams finished, but we were less outplayed than outshot.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Ball movement runs throughout
this thread. We have done it
and done it well. Just go back
and watch the NW game, our
best performance IMO. Same
wth the Syracuse game where
they held Burton to 9 pts, BUT
he had 7 assists. They took him
out of the game and he got the
ball to Hinson, Elliiott, and
Nellie and they had career night
hitting 3's.

Capel mentioned ball movement
yeterday. As far as I'm concerned,
he can talk about it all he wants,
but he still pushes dribble drive,
dribble penetration from his
guards. We had years of X
and Odukale killing us with this
stradegy. Burton went off for
31 vs UNC, but it isn't going to
work all of the time. We had
good ball movement at the
beginning of both halves. We
then resorted back to dribble
drive and we saw the results.
Anyone who has ever played
this game knows good shots
come off good ball movement
which leads to good ball
rotation. It's much easier to
hit those kind of shots.

When a team shoots 50% from 3 and makes 3 more than you on 8 less attempts you’re going to lose .

Nelly was probably the man at Colgate and his scoring was needed , he needs to reign in his attempts unless he’s feeling it . There’s better options offensively at Pitt than him on a consistent basis .

I just wish Elliot would knock down a few open looks in crunch time .

When Nike plays well Pitts a far far better team .

There’s no reason to panic , FSU played well and made their 3’s , Pitts not going undefeated the rest of the season and they’re going to lose more games , but they’re also going to win their share . This team is capable of going deep in the ACC tournament.

Can’t say I agree with you. Jamarius is the definition of a guy to lean on and we seem to lean on him plenty when we’re struggling on offense. That’s pretty much why we erased a 10-pt deficit at the start of the 2nd half.

We just couldn’t sustain it the last half of the second. Credit FSU for that.
You compare Jamarius to Sam or Julius Or even Justin? I sure don’t.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
When a team shoots 50% from 3 and makes 3 more than you on 8 less attempts you’re going to lose .

Nelly was probably the man at Colgate and his scoring was needed , he needs to reign in his attempts unless he’s feeling it . There’s better options offensively at Pitt than him on a consistent basis .

I just wish Elliot would knock down a few open looks in crunch time .

When Nike plays well Pitts a far far better team .

There’s no reason to panic , FSU played well and made their 3’s , Pitts not going undefeated the rest of the season and they’re going to lose more games , but they’re also going to win their share . This team is capable of going deep in the ACC tournament.
I for the most part agree
with your opening premise.
However you then go on to
mention Elliot, Nellie, and
Nike. Had they done what
you describe (and they've
done it this season), we
more than likely would've
won despite Fl St's 50 %
from threes.

Last edited:
I for the most part agree
with your opening premise.
However you then go on to
mention Elliot, Nellie, and
Nike, Had they done what
you describe (and they've
done it this season), we
more than likely would've
won despite Fl St's 50 %
from threes.
Yeah, you and FS pretty much encompassed why we lost. FSU’s shooting %’s plus no secondary scoring on our part. Burton is our backbone but we need some secondary scoring and got none other than the few long range 3’s from Hinton that we’re used to getting from him in short spurts during each game.

Elliott had 9 pts but I think most of that came at the beginning to get us that 15-5 lead. I don’t recall if he had a bucket in the 2nd half.

And then only 4 from Nike. We’ve been winning with him and/or Elliot providing supplemental scoring but didn’t get it from them yesterday.

Nellie, I’d say if he’s taking 10+ shots in a game, thing’s probably aren’t going good. 2-12 compounds it big time.

Reactions: gary2
Why didn't Hinson continue to shoot the 3 ball after he made 2 in a row to get us the lead in the second half? He was obviously hot. Unfortunately Nelly decided that he was gonna try and be the "man" after that and continued to chuck up 3 point shot after 3 point shot that kept missing.

That's what irked me the most about yesterday's game. If Nelly wasn't so damn selfish and realized that he just wasn't on at all Pitt imo wins the game. He should have deferred to Burton and let Hinson try and shoot a few more 3's.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Nelly is a nice little player, and I'm glad he's here. But I think I'd like him better if he were Dior's backup.
Why I don't post much anymore.

Neither you nor nobody else has seen Dior Johnson play a college game.
He's never played a D1 game, much less a P6 game
He got himself in trouble--not a great indicator for a PG
While Cummings has 5..5 yrs of D1 experience, including 2 NCAA runs
Yet you have no trouble elevating DJ to starter status

Yes Cummings is a streaky shooter
Why he got a pass for his terrible play in the waning minutes of Clemson, I still don't know.
Yes he's a "nice little player"
Yes he's little--as in really short
But he's been serviceable, capable, for the most part steady ballhandler, and a great foul shooter.

I hope DJ's good
However, his film doesn't overwhelm
He doesn't look high-end athletic
Nor does he appear to have amazing PG skills

Maybe we'll find out nxt yr

Why I don't post much anymore.

Neither you nor nobody else has seen Dior Johnson play a college game.
He's never played a D1 game, much less a P6 game
He got himself in trouble--not a great indicator for a PG
While Cummings has 5..5 yrs of D1 experience, including 2 NCAA runs
Yet you have no trouble elevating DJ to starter status

Yes Cummings is a streaky shooter
Why he got a pass for his terrible play in the waning minutes of Clemson, I still don't know.
Yes he's a "nice little player"
Yes he's little--as in really short
But he's been serviceable, capable, for the most part steady ballhandler, and a great foul shooter.

I hope DJ's good
However, his film doesn't overwhelm
He doesn't look high-end athletic
Nor does he appear to have amazing PG skills

Maybe we'll find out nxt yr
Agreed 1000% .Nelly is a beyond serviceable point guard. These same guys salivated over justice kithcart

• Haha
Reactions: Protes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT