ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Tech drops football

joefromlancaster

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 26, 2017
Florida Tech a division II school has announced that it is dropping football
due to financial constraints. I'm sure there will be more to follow.
Have to wonder if any division 1 schools will drop Olympic sports due to the
virus mess.

Reactions: PITTF2
virus mess.

Crazy... I know a few of their coaches. Sad state we're in.

Reactions: TFBaum
virus mess.
Or the big schools like Pitt could just drop to D3 in those "Olympic Sports", they make no money, nobody pays attention, just have non scholarship players 100% and play against CMU, Geneva and W&J. So what?

Reactions: Parkview57
Or the big schools like Pitt could just drop to D3 in those "Olympic Sports", they make no money, nobody pays attention, just have non scholarship players 100% and play against CMU, Geneva and W&J. So what?
Why. Pitt has a wonderful tradition of PA athletes success in those sports.

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
Honestly, all non revenue sports should go more regional and not be under the conference guidelines of revenue sports like football and hoops.

Pitt wrestling should compete regionally with some of the good programs in pa. Why a women’s softball or baseball teams compete with other acc. Programs with the cost of travel is stupid.

Football and hoops revenue Used to pay for travel and lodging of non revenue programs to compete out of state because their football team is in a conference is idiotic.

I agree completely with this. Pitt women’s hoops can play many schools within a 3 hour radius, same with wrestling, gymnastics, etc.

Reactions: Pitt79 and Dan1911
Pitt women’s hoops can play many schools within a 3 hour radius

Title IX will (rightfully so,IMO) require equal amounts of funds be spent on Men's and Women's sports, so leave Women's Basketball, Volleyball, and maybe soccer (because of the numbers) alone and go from there...

virus mess.
Title 9

They can’t because NCAA rules prohibit it. The NCAA requires a minimum amount of scholarships and sports to be sponsored at the d1 level. In addition Title IX would essentially prohibit dropping any women sports to non scholarship level.

Reactions: ThePanthers
They can’t because NCAA rules prohibit it. The NCAA requires a minimum amount of scholarships and sports to be sponsored at the d1 level. In addition Title IX would essentially prohibit dropping any women sports to non scholarship level.
I was just about to post this exact same thing. Division I programs need to have a minimum of 14 Varsity sports along with the funding and scholarship minimums and equalities that you mention.

virus mess.
Yes.
Watch the news for D1/P5 schools calling it quits for football also.
I would think marginal D1/P5 programs, programs losing money, have this on their lets take a look at this list, especially state school programs.

States are going to go belly up with NJ and NY leading the way.
NJ has already officially mentioned this as a possibility.
The Moody’s report — New Jersey Reports Surge in Unfunded Liabilities Under New Pension Accounting Rule — found the state of New Jersey has almost no time to fix its insufficiently funded public...

Last edited:
Yes.
Watch the news for D1/P5 schools calling it quits for football also.
I would think marginal D1/P5 programs, programs losing money, have this on their lets take a look at this list, especially state school programs.

States are going to go belly up with NJ and NY leading the way.
NJ has already officially mentioned this.
Well one of the worst programs in the country, UCONN, just signed a TV deal with CBS Sports Network. I’m sure it’s not big money, but there is still money out there for even the worst, least-marketable programs.

They do need a "new normal" for this then. It's stupid wasting money for a wrestling or gymnastics team that LOSES MONEY to travel by plane 3 hours. Use the money for something more worthwhile, like LOWER TUITION for non sports students.

Well one of the worst programs in the country, UCONN, just signed a TV deal with CBS Sports Network. I’m sure it’s not big money, but there is still money out there for even the worst, least-marketable programs.
I hope no program drops football but I see lots of pressure coming if a program is losing money especially state programs.
But college football=money for some.

If they don't get this going with TV, fans a lot of the conf, and media money might not be there.

Schools of all levels must open in September.
Talk to parents of k-hs students. Even for the best, most talented parents this is difficult.
Losing a year would be a disaster at all levels!

Last edited:
Reactions: TFBaum
They do need a "new normal" for this then. It's stupid wasting money for a wrestling or gymnastics team that LOSES MONEY to travel by plane 3 hours. Use the money for something more worthwhile, like LOWER TUITION for non sports students.

1st sport I hope gets cut is that stupid D3 woman's soccer team your daughters on. I bet that loses money also. Why not since you have no trouble wishing ill on others, let's wish ill on her too.

We have an all women's college in our area that had to canvas the student population to get enough women to volunteers to field a team in a particular sport.

Those sports should be on the quick hit list of sports to go like yesterday!

1st sport I hope gets cut is that stupid D3 woman's soccer team your daughters on. I bet that loses money also. Why not since you have no trouble wishing ill on others, let's wish ill on her too.
No, I was saying that D3 teams should remain and just play locally, vs. teams nearby, like an hour drive or less, real college students that just play sports on the side, that's what we should fund. I'd be good with dropping all D1 sports, eliminate all athletic scholarships, and just have the coaches be the gym teachers who make maybe $100k per year max. And the players just be regular students that show up for tryouts like in high school. Let the NFL and NBA fund their own minor league. So what I'm saying is teams like my daughters are valid college sports that should be funded, not the pseudo pro sports teams that give scholarships to morons that wouldn't be accepted to the schools based on academics.

We have an all women's college in our area that had to canvas the student population to get enough women to volunteers to field a team in a particular sport.

Those sports should be on the quick hit list of sports to go like yesterday!
Why? that's great actually! That gives regular students an opportunity to participate in an intercollegiate sport, that's how it was meant to be when college sports started.

An I WAS NOT WISHING ILL ON OTHERS, I didn't say to eliminate Pitt's Olympic sports teams, or women's teams, just make them D3 which is justified, based on their own economic value.

An I WAS NOT WISHING ILL ON OTHERS, I didn't say to eliminate Pitt's Olympic sports teams, or women's teams, just make them D3 which is justified, based on their own economic value.
Except that’s not even an option. If you want Pitt’s Olympic sports to do something like that, then you are saying you are ok with Pitt football and basketball being de-emphasized because one would have to be tied to the other. Is that what you wish?

Except that’s not even an option. If you want Pitt’s Olympic sports to do something like that, then you are saying you are ok with Pitt football and basketball being de-emphasized because one would have to be tied to the other. Is that what you wish?
It doesn't matter to me at all. and no, the NCAA and the universities can CHANGE THE RULES, that's how it is now, doesn't mean it can't be different if it makes economic sense. And it really doesn't matter to me, if Pitt was D3 in football and playing CMU in a 10 thousand seat stadium in Oakland, I'd watch that over Bama vs. Clemson in the NC Game.

College sports are becoming and already are stupid! Sports coaches being the highest paid employees of the state? PAYING players to play football or basketball, this is not what universities are supposed to be about. Maybe it's time to change the whole damn thing.

Why? that's great actually! That gives regular students an opportunity to participate in an intercollegiate sport, that's how it was meant to be when college sports started.
He clearly stated they were struggling to even put a team together. How is that possibly a good thing, and a reason to keep it going?

He clearly stated they were struggling to even put a team together. How is that possibly a good thing, and a reason to keep it going?
Maybe somebody who had given up the sport, now thinks, hey? This is my chance to try again, and they actually get a chance to try to compete at the college level. Even if it's just for a year, or even a few games, it's something to tell their grandkids. Everything doesn't have to be about "the highest level".

ADVERTISEMENT