ADVERTISEMENT

Football is terrible

burrow will need to get a new contract this off-season. will the cheapa### owner pay it? if he does, the bengals can't keep chasse and higgins. or maybe neither. we'll see how long he keeps it up with half the weapons.
The Bengals signed a naming rights deal on their stadium to fund Burrows deal. He's going to get paid. There's no way they let Chase go, either. Higgins is the question mark. He's eligible for an extension this off season. Wouldn't be shocked if they trade him for a first and he gets huge money elsewhere.

The Bengals signed a naming rights deal on their stadium to fund Burrows deal. He's going to get paid. There's no way they let Chase go, either. Higgins is the question mark. He's eligible for an extension this off season. Wouldn't be shocked if they trade him for a first and he gets huge money elsewhere.

there's a salary cap.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
I find the jealousy being displayed by Yinzers to be hilarious. A lot of people seem to be upset because the Bengals and Chiefs are two of the NFL's more successful teams at this time.
Instead of whining and moaning about them and their young superstar QB's catching a break here and there, how about focus your attention on why the steelers organization finds itself in the position it is currently in. As much as I like Kenny Pickett and want him to be successful, objectively speaking Burrow and Mahomes are clearly better then him. Sadly, I do not think that it is because they are physically better them him, but those two studs have a HC and an OC that have allowed those two to be placed into a position where they can have success. They are both in charge of exciting and explosive offenses that can go up and down the field and put points on the board as needed. Kenny Pickett on the other hand has been held back and has not been put into a position where he can display his abilities.
Do you realize that Lenny Pickett has completed his 1st year in the NFL and still there are quite a few questions being asked if he is the steelers QB of the future. I actually heard people talking about the steelers drafting another QB in the 1st round if a good one is available. Foolish.

I said this to @Zeldas Open Roof on the other board, but I’m not ready to write in the Bengals as perennial AFC Championship Game attendees. I think Burrow is really good but I’m not sure he’s transcendent the way Mahommes is. And unless he goes the Brady route and takes a pay cut, the Bengals have a lot of expensive contracts coming up.

Yeah the Bengals coming up on a huge disadvantage. Mahomes is already signed through 2031; he'll be 36.

Burrow needs a new contract no later than 2025. And there's a good chance the Bengals do an extension next year and just roll the 5th year into his extension since that is all guaranteed. Then they need to pay Ja'Marr Chase $30 million per year the year after that. Half of their line is in their early 30s and only signed for the next 2 years. Their franchise LT is a free agent after 2023.

Burrow will have them in the conversation every year but things are about to get a lot trickier for them.

Reactions: Ski11585
I find the jealousy being displayed by Yinzers to be hilarious. A lot of people seem to be upset because the Bengals and Chiefs are two of the NFL's more successful teams at this time.
Instead of whining and moaning about them and their young superstar QB's catching a break here and there, how about focus your attention on why the steelers organization finds itself in the position it is currently in. As much as I like Kenny Pickett and want him to be successful, objectively speaking Burrow and Mahomes are clearly better then him. Sadly, I do not think that it is because they are physically better them him, but those two studs have a HC and an OC that have allowed those two to be placed into a position where they can have success. They are both in charge of exciting and explosive offenses that can go up and down the field and put points on the board as needed. Kenny Pickett on the other hand has been held back and has not been put into a position where he can display his abilities.
Do you realize that Lenny Pickett has completed his 1st year in the NFL and still there are quite a few questions being asked if he is the steelers QB of the future. I actually heard people talking about the steelers drafting another QB in the 1st round if a good one is available. Foolish.

Dang, a guy that won the Heisman, won a National Championship, and went 1st overall, who has the 2nd best WR in the league, and has 2 more years of experience is better than a rookie who went 20th and whose best WR constantly runs backwards?

Ace observation.

i looked it up. kelce's contract is like $12m this year. which is nothing compared to hill ($30m). higgins is a UFA after this season. he's going to get $20m-ish. then chasse who will be north of $30m.

kelce is older - i'm guessing it's not so much about the money at this point as he seems worth signficantly more than what he's getting.

they'll be drafting in the bottom of the 1st round for awhile. and the immediate need is OL, unless they want burrow to have a short career. so they'll be picking WR's in later rounds. or trying to get free agents but they won't have money for really good ones. burrow is going to have to take the path of brady and make it work with 2nd tier WR's. let's see how he does with a group of chase claypool's.

Mahomes is now approaching Brady levels of myth territory where offensive players might go to KC just to win a Super Bowl. That would help, although Mahomes seems to be getting it done just fine with Kelce and then a bunch of replacement level talent.

I'm at the point that I am sick of over positivity, yes Mahomes is great, but it just gets disgusting when every little thing he does is so smart and fabulous. now we have to listen to another whole game of hearing how fantastic and smart a 2-yard run or throwing the ball away is. :)
LMAO. The rest of the world heard nothing but slobbering over Joe Burrow all game long, and all season long. Burrow is excellent. So is Mahomes. They are both playmakers. But Mahomes has no equal in the playmaking/improv department. And he plays for a coach that knows how to take advantage of his talents.

LMAO. The rest of the world heard nothing but slobbering over Joe Burrow all game long, and all season long. Burrow is excellent. So is Mahomes. They are both playmakers. But Mahomes has no equal in the playmaking/improv department. And he plays for a coach that knows how to take advantage of his talents.
I don't think so, slobbering was harder over Mahomes, to Romo, everything he does is absolute genius. But it is pretty heavy on Burrow too.

nfl and signing your franchise QB is quite a conondrum. Take these two stats in mind:

4 Championship QBs that played yesterday, only one was among the 28 highest paid QBs in the NFL (Mahomes is 9th)..

The 4 higheste nfl QBs are "Rodgers, Wilson, Kyler Murray and Watson." All 4 rosters are a disaster.

so it means that signing your QB to a huge deal could and very well often kills your team and ability to compete.. But the chiefs wouldnt win squat without Mahomes and they'd be fools to let him go. Burrows will be the highest paid player in a year or two, will that help the bengals or hurt them?

The one thing i think i know is if you have a Franchise talent QB under his rookie contract, you have a short window so you better give him every thing he needs while he is making peanuts (like the bengals with higgins, boyd and chase). Because once that qb gets his second contract, you cant afford it (chiefs with Tyreke hill)..

If ravens sign lamar, when the bengals sign burrow, steelers will have a 1-2 year gap where Kenny is under his rookie contract while all 3 afc north teams are straddled paying their qbs with 9 digit contracts.
This all sounds good w/r to that couple year Kenny window, provided the Steelers have any cap space wo that big QB contract. Article I just read last week said the Steelers currently have next no cap space and a boat load of free agents. That didn’t make sense to me but I didn’t bother trying do any research to understand it. I guess that ‘most expensive defense in the NFL’ is part of the reason.

I don't think so, slobbering was harder over Mahomes, to Romo, everything he does is absolute genius. But it is pretty heavy on Burrow too.
Since you brought up Romo, he has become almost intolerable as a color guy. Last night he was definitely at his worst.

yeah, its tough to have both. chiefs down graded at WRs but it still worked for them. Ju Ju and some other hyphen guy as Wrs as a pretty big drop off from Tyreke.. They got a great pick in that Pacheco guy who they drafted 7th round..

i mean, you go big with QB, you have to find bargains at skill positions and hope it works. Although the chiefs do have Kelce so it's not like you cant have at least one other high profile skill player.
They also basically stole a top talent in Kedarius Toney. Granted he hasn't been healthy much, but he is still young and I bet he has a nice year for them next season. He could be a factor in the superbowl as well, if healthy.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Since you brought up Romo, he has become almost intolerable as a color guy. Last night he was definitely at his worst.
Romo was good when he simply analyzed formations, and predicted what would happen and why.
He showed great technical knowledge and could explain it in simple terms.

I don't know what happened to that guy. I had hoped he was another John Madden in the making, but now he just sounds like a babbling idiot!

Dang, a guy that won the Heisman, won a National Championship, and went 1st overall, who has the 2nd best WR in the league, and has 2 more years of experience is better than a rookie who went 20th and whose best WR constantly runs backwards?

Ace observation.
You left out the most important factor, he does not have matt canada as his OC

This all sounds good w/r to that couple year Kenny window, provided the Steelers have any cap space wo that big QB contract. Article I just read last week said the Steelers currently have next no cap space and a boat load of free agents. That didn’t make sense to me but I didn’t bother trying do any research to understand it. I guess that ‘most expensive defense in the NFL’ is part of the reason.

They're only $1 million under the cap right now but they can get $20 million in space just by cutting William Jackson (0 games played last year) and Trubisky. Another $3 million could come from Kendrick Green, McFarland, and Loudermilk.

Really, they don't need a ton of money right now. Their big contracts are pretty well sequenced. Basically everyone is locked up either to an extension or a rookie cost controlled deal. By the time Pickett needs an extension it will be 2027 and the $66 million per year we pay to Heyward, Watt, Minkah, and Diontae will have long ago been unnecessary, especially for Cam and Diontae.

They're only $1 million under the cap right now but they can get $20 million in space just by cutting William Jackson (0 games played last year) and Trubisky. Another $3 million could come from Kendrick Green, McFarland, and Loudermilk.

Really, they don't need a ton of money right now. Their big contracts are pretty well sequenced. Basically everyone is locked up either to an extension or a rookie cost controlled deal. By the time Pickett needs an extension it will be 2027 and the $66 million per year we pay to Heyward, Watt, Minkah, and Diontae will have long ago been unnecessary, especially for Cam and Diontae.
Cutting players on rookie contracts is an insane way to try to save cap space .
Especially loudermilk who played well in his opportunities .

I’m not sure if cutting trubinsky his last year to save “$4mil makes much sense - I mean there aren’t cheaper veteran backup options .

Heyward will be done by then - even though he’s proven to worth every dime of his deal

He's too much of a bias WORSHIPPER now, the type on his knees lips firmly planted on the ass cheeks of the favored MAIN NAME BRAND characters the entire game. Especially Mahomes, if Mahomes scrambles out of the pocket and completes a 2 yard pass he gushes about how only a hall of famer like him can do that.

He's too much of a bias WORSHIPPER now, the type on his knees lips firmly planted on the ass cheeks of the favored MAIN NAME BRAND characters the entire game. Especially Mahomes, if Mahomes scrambles out of the pocket and completes a 2 yard pass he gushes about how only a hall of famer like him can do that.
As a former NFL quarterback with pedestrian skills, maybe Romo truly is in awe of Mahomes abilities?

In any event, he talks way too much. When he predicts plays/formations/targets, and sticks with the technical analysis, he's quite good.
Needs to stick with that, and back off the fanboy stuff.

Reactions: Pitt79
As a former NFL quarterback with pedestrian skills, maybe Romo truly is in awe of Mahomes abilities?

In any event, he talks way too much. When he predicts plays/formations/targets, and sticks with the technical analysis, he's quite good.
Needs to stick with that, and back off the fanboy stuff.

Reactions: pittdan77
Burrow will have them in the conversation every year but things are about to get a lot trickier for them.
I think Cincy doesn't have a choice and is going to have to pay him. They aren't going to find anyone else quickly. But I also think Burrow has some issues that are holding him back. I'm certain being under pressure all the time and getting hit so often has a lot to do with it. Right now, Cincy needs to sign him and go find some OL-men that can keep him clean. Way more important than keeping stud WR's.

Yeah, that’s the part I didn’t investigate or try to quantify.

But as far as your examples, it sure doesn’t sound like they’re planning to cut Tribusky although that likely means Rudolph is gone. I’m also not sure they’re planning to cut Jackson unless that comes during camp/preseason cuts to get down to the roster limit. The other 3 don’t amount to much in cap space.

And the other side of the coin is all the free agents they have that either need resigned or replaced by someone else. Can Sutton the biggest of those but there are a few others of significance as well. ILBs come to mind as I think they’re all free agents and that position needs upgraded so one way or the other, it’s going to require cap space $.

Safety opposite of Fitzpatrick will also require cap space $. Edmunds resigned last year for a very friendly 1-year deal which I expect they’ll have to increase to keep him, if not it’s Kazee who will also require $ to keep or someone new.

Bottom line, it sure doesn’t sound like they have much cap space to work with this year, which is opposite of what I was previously thinking was going to be the case.

Cutting players on rookie contracts is an insane way to try to save cap space .
Especially loudermilk who played well in his opportunities .

I’m not sure if cutting trubinsky his last year to save “$4mil makes much sense - I mean there aren’t cheaper veteran backup options .

Heyward will be done by then - even though he’s proven to worth every dime of his deal

Acting like you can't cut a guy on a rookie deal is silly. Green and McFarland are sub-replacement level players. Kendrick Green lost his job and played 0 snaps last year. McFarland touched the ball 8 times all season (1 game). McFarland is on an expiring contract and Green has 2 years left. In any case, it's clear that neither fits the teams long term plans. The Steelers could very easily decide that literal street free agents are better investments.

Trubisky's cap hit is almost $11 million if they keep him. There are certainly many cheaper veteran backups available. Jameis' cap hit was $4 million this year just by way of example. So cutting Trubisky makes room for their entire rookie class. And Trubisky might not want to play for the Steelers anymore if the rumors are true that he feels misled about his career with the team.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Yeah, that’s the part I didn’t investigate or try to quantify.

But as far as your examples, it sure doesn’t sound like they’re planning to cut Tribusky although that likely means Rudolph is gone. I’m also not sure they’re planning to cut Jackson unless that comes during camp/preseason cuts to get down to the roster limit. The other 3 don’t amount to much in cap space.

And the other side of the coin is all the free agents they have that either need resigned or replaced by someone else. Can Sutton the biggest of those but there are a few others of significance as well. ILBs come to mind as I think they’re all free agents and that position needs upgraded so one way or the other, it’s going to require cap space $.

Safety opposite of Fitzpatrick will also require cap space $. Edmunds resigned last year for a very friendly 1-year deal which I expect they’ll have to increase to keep him, if not it’s Kazee who will also require $ to keep or someone new.

Bottom line, it sure doesn’t sound like they have much cap space to work with this year, which is opposite of what I was previously thinking was going to be the case.

Trubisky may not want to play for the Steelers anymore. I'm sure they'd like to keep him but not if he's unhappy.

Whether or not Jackson is in the plans, idk. I personally find it very unlikely they'll keep a replacement level CB for $11 million when he's never played a down for the team. I'm sure they could get someone with similar production for far cheaper.

Jameis's cap hit was $4 million this year. They could probably net $7ish million on replacing Trubisky with another veteran backup, one who has no illusions about starting, and $10 million replacing WJ3 with a veteran CB.

Part of their current lack of cap room also comes from guys that are no longer on the team, like Ben and Tuitt. All of that money comes off the books soon (Ben's is now off the books and Tuitt in 2023). The Steelers have $77 million in cap room in 2024. But for right now, $20 million to sign rookies and fill out your roster with some depth at DB is plenty of space.

I think Cincy doesn't have a choice and is going to have to pay him. They aren't going to find anyone else quickly. But I also think Burrow has some issues that are holding him back. I'm certain being under pressure all the time and getting hit so often has a lot to do with it. Right now, Cincy needs to sign him and go find some OL-men that can keep him clean. Way more important than keeping stud WR's.

I personally think Burrow is excellent and worthy of a major extension. But the Bengals made their decision to take Chase and not protect Burrow with a guy like Penei Sewell. So Burrow gets the benefit of a dude that can take an 8 yard slant to the house but his line suffered accordingly. It's patched together ok for now with veterans but dudes like Collins and Karras have something like 1-3 years left. And Tee Higgins is probably going to get a monster offer from someone else. Something like $20 million or more.

So we'll see if Burrow is still elite after his deal prevents the team from obtaining a lot of team talent. I think that's certainly hurt other teams, including Pittsburgh. I think he's going to be great for a long time despite all of that though.

Reactions: pittdan77
Acting like you can't cut a guy on a rookie deal is silly. Green and McFarland are sub-replacement level players. Kendrick Green lost his job and played 0 snaps last year. McFarland touched the ball 8 times all season (1 game). McFarland is on an expiring contract and Green has 2 years left. In any case, it's clear that neither fits the teams long term plans. The Steelers could very easily decide that literal street free agents are better investments.

Trubisky's cap hit is almost $11 million if they keep him. There are certainly many cheaper veteran backups available. Jameis' cap hit was $4 million this year just by way of example. So cutting Trubisky makes room for their entire rookie class. And Trubisky might not want to play for the Steelers anymore if the rumors are true that he feels misled about his career with the team.
I’m fine with cutting mitch , Jackson, along with Jack for cap space

I mean but with Green it’s about $900k, cutting him is only because you don’t see him as a backup even .

We must be looking at different sites Jameis Winston has a $15.6mil cap hit this upcoming season .

I’m fine with cutting mitch , Jackson, along with Jack for cap space

I mean but with Green it’s about $900k, cutting him is only because you don’t see him as a backup even .

We must be looking at different sites Jameis Winston has a $15.6mil cap hit this upcoming season .

I agree that it's unlikely they cut Green but if they draft 3 linemen he could totally be gone. Based on his play he probably should be. I think there's like a 50% chance, at best, he's on the final 53 in 2023.

Winston's cap hit was $4 million in 2022. That was just an example. There are plenty of guys under $5 million. You could get a Mike White type for under $3 million.

I personally think Burrow is excellent and worthy of a major extension. But the Bengals made their decision to take Chase and not protect Burrow with a guy like Penei Sewell. So Burrow gets the benefit of a dude that can take an 8 yard slant to the house but his line suffered accordingly. It's patched together ok for now with veterans but dudes like Collins and Karras have something like 1-3 years left. And Tee Higgins is probably going to get a monster offer from someone else. Something like $20 million or more.

So we'll see if Burrow is still elite after his deal prevents the team from obtaining a lot of team talent. I think that's certainly hurt other teams, including Pittsburgh. I think he's going to be great for a long time despite all of that though.
Your window doesn't stay open very long in the NFL if you don't draft well and develop talent. KC is a good, current example of a team that does this well.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
ADVERTISEMENT