ADVERTISEMENT

For those soccer fans, especially SMF who think they run the entire game...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
The announcers of this WC game today said something that I think most of us knew already. That is with the exception of SMF when he stated that soccer players run constantly for 90 minutes a game . In fact if I remember correctly, he said they run for over 7 miles in a game (in 90 minutes) and most of them could run a marathon.
Today during the Argentina-Croatia game, they were talking about Lionel Messi (a man who is viewed around the world as one of the top soccer players in the world) and they stated it is going to be hard to tell if Messi hurt his leg or not because he walks around on the field 75% of the time he is out there.
Thank you to the announcers of this soccer game for helping to show that SMF was wrong.

Reactions: Dan1911
The announcers of this WC game today said something that I think most of us knew already. That is with the exception of SMF when he stated that soccer players run constantly for 90 minutes a game . In fact if I remember correctly, he said they run for over 7 miles in a game (in 90 minutes) and most of them could run a marathon.
Today during the Argentina-Croatia game, they were talking about Lionel Messi (a man who is viewed around the world as one of the top soccer players in the world) and they stated it is going to be hard to tell if Messi hurt his leg or not because he walks around on the field 75% of the time he is out there.
Thank you to the announcers of this soccer game for helping to show that SMF was wrong.

That is correct. Messi is notorious for walking most of the game. He covers the least ground that probably anyone else in the world. But he is unique. Also, forwards and center backs do less running than forwards (which Messi is) and outside backs.

Tyler Adams covered 24 miles in his 4 WC games. Now, sure, he wasnt running the entire time but covering 24 miles in 360 minutes is very difficult to do even with breaks and days off. Now try playing a sport while trying to cover 6 miles in 90 minutes. Pretty hard. This isnt difficult. There is a reason you dont see fat soccer players. You cant be. You cant compete at this level unless you are in marathon shape. The running is extreme.

They actually have stats for how many miles each player walks, jogs and runs each game. So while it’s fun to prove SMF wrong and often easy to do, I’m not sure what your point actually is. The amount of miles they run, even when you take away the jogging and walking, dwarfs all the other sports.

They actually have stats for how many miles each player walks, jogs and runs each game. So while it’s fun to prove SMF wrong and often easy to do, I’m not sure what your point actually is. The amount of miles they run, even when you take away the jogging and walking, dwarfs all the other sports.
high schools in Western PA, wpial schools, actually use gps technology to track how far, how fast and where exactly players run/jog in football practices. if high schools across pa are doing this in practices, im sure national soccer teams are too..

not a soccer expert but these players absolutely dont sprint the whole time or even jog but they are in ridiculous shape and running miles upon miles with incredible endurance. it's not one or the other. SMF went overboard but to act like these soccer players arent in insane shape and running miles per game is stupid as well.

Hey FK, one thing that has jumped out at me with the topic of endurance is these women volleyball players. man, these games are long and these players jumping like this so many times, that cant be easy. try jumping and spiking the ball that many times in a 2 hour window..

That is correct. Messi is notorious for walking most of the game. He covers the least ground that probably anyone else in the world. But he is unique. Also, forwards and center backs do less running than forwards (which Messi is) and outside backs.

Tyler Adams covered 24 miles in his 4 WC games. Now, sure, he wasnt running the entire time but covering 24 miles in 360 minutes is very difficult to do even with breaks and days off. Now try playing a sport while trying to cover 6 miles in 90 minutes. Pretty hard. This isnt difficult. There is a reason you dont see fat soccer players. You cant be. You cant compete at this level unless you are in marathon shape. The running is extreme.
Your post undersells it. I posted the World Cup stats here after group stages for the top 10 players in ground covered running, walking, jogging, and combined. I am pretty sure Adams stats were even higher. I think he and Pulisic sprinted almost 6 miles per game and over 10 miles each combined with jogging. There’s several World Cup posts on these boards so I’m not about to look for it. But do we want to compare 35 year old Messi to a 35 year old QB? Or a 35 year old infielder?

There’s two things people like to do on this board.

1) tell everyone how much soccer sucks

2) make fun of you.

I think the OP was an attempt to kill two birds with one stone. Lol.

high schools in Western PA, wpial schools, actually use gps technology to track how far, how fast and where exactly players run/jog in football practices. if high schools across pa are doing this in practices, im sure national soccer teams are too..

not a soccer expert but these players absolutely dont sprint the whole time or even jog but they are in ridiculous shape and running miles upon miles with incredible endurance. it's not one or the other. SMF went overboard but to act like these soccer players arent in insane shape and running miles per game is stupid as well.

Hey FK, one thing that has jumped out at me with the topic of endurance is these women volleyball players. man, these games are long and these players jumping like this so many times, that cant be easy. try jumping and spiking the ball that many times in a 2 hour window..
Good point - Volleyball players display impressive athleticism. I’m taking a liking to the sport.

Yeah tell me about it. The lactate levels in my arms and legs drop just watching our ladies on the court. !!

Stu Holden now during the game. “Does Molina have a 3rd lung? He’s non stop running the entire game.”

No one is saying they sprint the whole game. But the ground they cover, which includes walking is very very high so obviously there is a lot of running and sprinting if you are going to cover 6-7 miles in 90 minutes. Its why you can be fat and play most other sports but you cannot be fat and play soccer. These guys are literally in marathon shape. If you give them a week off after the game, they can go complete a marathon. A 1st Basemen, WR, or point guard cannot do that on 1 week's notice.

No one is saying they sprint the whole game. But the ground they cover, which includes walking is very very high so obviously there is a lot of running and sprinting if you are going to cover 6-7 miles in 90 minutes. Its why you can be fat and play most other sports but you cannot be fat and play soccer. These guys are literally in marathon shape. If you give them a week off after the game, they can go complete a marathon. A 1st Basemen, WR, or point guard cannot do that on 1 week's notice.
Only sport that compares for me to play is hockey. There’s a reason why their shifts are only less than minute each. It’s because it’s like a non stop sprint during that shift.

Soccer and hockey are brutal when it comes to fitness level needed.

I think it's a safe bet to assume that soccer players tend to run more during a game then football players.

Only sport that compares for me to play is hockey. There’s a reason why their shifts are only less than minute each. It’s because it’s like a non stop sprint during that shift.

Correct. If I had to pick a group of athletes to complete a marathon without training, I would pick hockey players.

Many will probably laugh but to me, it’s always been men’s tennis at the very top level. Always impressed by the physical and mental toughness of these guys when it’s a 5-hr or longer match against an opponent of fairly equivalent skill.

The point that I was trying to make was that SMF stated that professional soccer players could basically run a marathon with little training and I disagreed with that statement. Do they run? Absolutely, but the amount that they run when compared to the running of a marathon is two completely different issues.

The point that I was trying to make was that SMF stated that professional soccer players could basically run a marathon with little training and I disagreed with that statement. Do they run? Absolutely, but the amount that they run when compared to the running of a marathon is two completely different issues.

They absolutely can. Even a guy like Messi, who runs the least of anyone could complete a marathon with no training.

My son played high school/cup soccer and completed a 50k and 34 mile race without specific endurance running training (to be fair, he is also a mid distance runner in track). As long as they pace themselves, professional soccer players would have no problem completing a marathon.

SMF...Again, you make a statement that I disagree with. Let's just say that your data on Tyler Adams (and I will admit that I have no idea who that person is) is accurate. What does running 24 miles in 4 WC games, spread out over the course of 10 days (my guess on how long it took for his team to play those 4 games) have to do with being in the shape of a marathon runner???
Also, I don't see "fat" hockey players or "tennis players". Are you telling me that they ccould run a marathon as well? If you are, they I again, disagree with you.

Messi is not “notorious” for not running. He is 35 and plays a position where he doesn’t have to run that much. I would bet that he runs more miles in a game than Oliver Giroud or Robert Lewandowski. And probably more than CR7.

I have followed him since he was 18. He ran more when he was younger, but basically he runs as much as he has to run. And, when he does run he is as fast dribbling the ball while running as most players are without the ball.

Six miles in 90 minutes is the opposite of difficult. I was never a competitive runner or anything, but I could do 6 miles in 45-50 minutes after drinking a 5th the night before. 90 minutes might be an okay time if you were running backwards, I guess.

Not suggesting what they do isn't difficult; I just don't know if that would be my selling point.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt

There is no doubt that soccer players run a lot, but to compare them to the amount of running that a marathon runner would be wrong.

SMF...Again, you make a statement that I disagree with. Let's just say that your data on Tyler Adams (and I will admit that I have no idea who that person is) is accurate. What does running 24 miles in 4 WC games, spread out over the course of 10 days (my guess on how long it took for his team to play those 4 games) have to do with being in the shape of a marathon runner???
Also, I don't see "fat" hockey players or "tennis players". Are you telling me that they ccould run a marathon as well? If you are, they I again, disagree with you.

He is covering 6 miles in 90 minutes. A baseball player might cover 1/10 of a mile in 3 hours. A football player, maybe a 1/4 mile in 3 hours. Etc, etc. The ground they cover is EXTREME compared to other sports. You have to be in marathon shape and of a certain body type. The same can be said for hockey and tennis though they dont have to have the same cardio training as hockey. Basically, if you cant go out and run a marathon on command, you cannot play soccer at the highest level.

Six miles in 90 minutes is the opposite of difficult. I was never a competitive runner or anything, but I could do 6 miles in 45-50 minutes after drinking a 5th the night before. 90 minutes might be an okay time if you were running backwards, I guess.

Not suggesting what they do isn't difficult; I just don't know if that would be my selling point.

If I told you that you had to cover 6 miles in 90 minutes while playing simultaneously playing a sport at the highest level, could you do it?

There is no doubt that soccer players run a lot, but to compare them to the amount of running that a marathon runner would be wrong.
Marathon runners run 26 miles in 2.5 hours. Soccer players, depending on position run half marathons in 90 minutes twice a week.

When you take in consideration muscle injuries due to fitness and fatigue, soccer players have to be incredibly fit to play.

I guess my point is I see yours. And I see his.

If I told you that you had to cover 6 miles in 90 minutes while playing simultaneously playing a sport at the highest level, could you do it?

I mean, I can't play any sport at the highest level. Can I run 6 miles in 90 minutes? Easily. Even right now, after not having ran for distance in years. I've ran 13 miles in just a little bit over 90 minutes. That's all I was saying: Running that far in 90 minutes isn't much of a feat.

I mean, I can't play any sport at the highest level. Can I run 6 miles in 90 minutes? Easily. Even right now, after not having ran for distance in years. I've ran 13 miles in just a little bit over 90 minutes. That's all I was saying: Running that far in 90 minutes isn't much of a feat.

And I'm not saying it is. I can run 6 miles in 90 minutes also. I'm saying you or I or an MLB or NFL player cannot do so while also playing a sport. Example, if you told Aaron Judge or Pat Mahomes to go play a soccer game and they could not come out and had to run as much as everyone, they seriously might die.

He is covering 6 miles in 90 minutes. A baseball player might cover 1/10 of a mile in 3 hours. A football player, maybe a 1/4 mile in 3 hours. Etc, etc. The ground they cover is EXTREME compared to other sports. You have to be in marathon shape and of a certain body type. The same can be said for hockey and tennis though they dont have to have the same cardio training as hockey. Basically, if you cant go out and run a marathon on command, you cannot play soccer at the highest level.
Tyler Adams RAN 24 miles in 3 World Cup games. Not jogged. Not jogged and walked, not jogged, walked and ran. He RAN 8 miles per game, without including anything else.

And I'm not saying it is. I can run 6 miles in 90 minutes also. I'm saying you or I or an MLB or NFL player cannot do so while also playing a sport. Example, if you told Aaron Judge or Pat Mahomes to go play a soccer game and they could not come out and had to run as much as everyone, they seriously might die.

I think there are plenty of NFL guys who could pull it off. Receivers, DBs, and running backs anyway. Probably some linebackers. And I'm saying they could do it if they had to tomorrow. If they had time to train, it wouldn't even be a question.

It is if you’re running. And it is when you have to do it and recover for a match 3 days later. And rinse wash and repeat for 48 weeks out of the year.

Tyler Adams RAN 24 miles in 3 World Cup games. Not jogged. Not jogged and walked, not jogged, walked and ran. He RAN 8 miles per game, without including anything else.

I thought it was 24 in 4. I was going to say 6 miles sounded very low.

I think there are plenty of NFL guys who could pull it off. Receivers, DBs, and running backs anyway. Probably some linebackers. And I'm saying they could do it if they had to tomorrow. If they had time to train, it wouldn't even be a question.
Sure they can. But they have to build themselves up to the level of fitness the soccer managers demand. And to a level that can make the physio staff comfortable for the players health.

Give them a few months to train, sure. I'm saying none of them are in natural shape to be able to do it on command. They would have to be hospitalized or would die.

It is if you’re running. And it is when you have to do it and recover for a match 3 days later. And rinse wash and repeat for 48 weeks out of the year.

Maybe, I don't know. For at least three years, 6 miles was the absolutely bare minimum I would do every day (aside from days I was sick or something). And I was just some dude who liked running; I wasn't some track guy or D1 athlete or anything.

I'm sure it's not easy being a soccer player; I don't mean to suggest that it is. I was just referring to the amount of running.

Maybe, I don't know. For at least three years, 6 miles was the absolutely bare minimum I would do every day (aside from days I was sick or something). And I was just some dude who liked running; I wasn't some track guy or D1 athlete or anything.

I'm sure it's no easy being a soccer player; I don't mean to suggest that it is. I was just referring to the amount of running.

I think what you arent realizing is that its a lot easier to jog or run slow for 6 miles. If you had to simulate Tyler Adams runs for 90 minutes, you simply wouldn't be able to. So much of that is sprinting at top speed. You have to sprint 80 yards, the ball goes out of bounds, then you may have to sprint 80 yards the other way. There's too much sprinting along with other running/jogging. Your heart and lungs would not hold up.

Maybe, I don't know. For at least three years, 6 miles was the absolutely bare minimum I would do every day (aside form days I was sick or something). And I was just some dude who liked running; I wasn't some track guy or D1 athlete or anything.

I'm sure it's no easy being a soccer player; I don't mean to suggest that it is. I was just referring to the amount of running.
I know man. I don’t even know what I’m doing here in this thread. Lol.

I just know, as an example, this World Cup is in the middle of all the players club seasons…and some of these guys who weren’t regularly playing 90 minutes at the club level for their team were a real concern for their international managers in the World Cup. Weston McKennie, as an example, because of injuries was not built up to a 90 minute player yet. Therefore the USA Manager couldn’t be comfortable playing him any more than 60 minutes. It takes a while to build them up to 90 minute level.

I think what you arent realizing is that its a lot easier to jog or run slow for 6 miles. If you had to simulate Tyler Adams runs for 90 minutes, you simply wouldn't be able to. So much of that is sprinting at top speed. You have to sprint 80 yards, the ball goes out of bounds, then you may have to sprint 80 yards the other way. There's too much sprinting along with other running/jogging. Your heart and lungs would not hold up.

Yeah, but that isn't the point I took issue with. You made it sounds like 6 miles in 90 minutes is some monumental feat, and I was just saying that I don't think that would be my selling point in arguing how good of shape they're in. I agree that the sprinting adds a whole different element and I wouldn't last ten minutes in a soccer game today. Though I think some NFL guys might last longer than you're giving them credit for.

Sprinting for an entire soccer game as way harder than running a marathon and requires way more fitness.

You cannot compare sprinting vs jogging for long periods of time

I used to run 5-6 miles a day. AFTER WORK.

ADVERTISEMENT