ADVERTISEMENT

Former Pitt players affected by AAF collapse

Another example of a douchebag local media rip.

Hey Dipola, plenty of PSU players also played for multiple head coaches ... head coaches who enabled and engineered sexual assaults. Winslow's coaches didn't.

Just mention the guy and his feat, no need for the dig. Esp when your favored program was exposed as satanic a-holes.

The NFL is like Amazon. They just rule everything. These other leagues just can’t cut it in the end and will always struggle.

The NFL is like Amazon. They just rule everything. These other leagues just can’t cut it in the end and will always struggle.
Isn't this the way the market works? The NFL offers a product that people want to watch, and the AAF offered a product that people did not want to watch.

Isn't this the way the market works? The NFL offers a product that people want to watch, and the AAF offered a product that people did not want to watch.
Exactly. Which is why I used the amazon example. People just go straight to amazon to buy stuff. And NFL is what you want for pro football.

Exactly. Which is why I used the amazon example. People just go straight to amazon to buy stuff. And NFL is what you want for pro football.
The difference is that you can get the same products, or many of them, at outlets other than Amazon. You cannot watch the NFL players anywhere other than the NFL.

Hey Dipola, plenty of PSU players also played for multiple head coaches ... head coaches who enabled and engineered sexual assaults. Winslow's coaches didn't.

Just mention the guy and his feat, no need for the dig. Esp when your favored program was exposed as satanic a-holes.
Its always a dig at Pitt somehow, PSU is a joke of an institution and shouldnt have a football program

One item that fans of the defunct AAF might have missed: Ryan Winslow, who punted four seasons for Pitt through two coaches, led the league in average yards per boot (47.8) for Memphis and San Diego.]
It's funny how this comment offends people? As if it's a huge dig? Seriously?

Reactions: Ronnyp91
I'm surprised it failed? It was on 3 TV networks and some of those teams where drawing like 25000 fans. I think that Dundon, the guy that bought into it had ulterior motives? He claimed he shut it down because the NFLPA wouldn't let him use NFL practice squad players? So what? They had decent enough players, and nobody is going to turn out because they might get to see the Bengals #4 QB or someone like that.

I'm surprised it failed? It was on 3 TV networks and some of those teams where drawing like 25000 fans. I think that Dundon, the guy that bought into it had ulterior motives? He claimed he shut it down because the NFLPA wouldn't let him use NFL practice squad players? So what? They had decent enough players, and nobody is going to turn out because they might get to see the Bengals #4 QB or someone like that.

I was surprised it lasted as long as it did. The problem with football leagues that aren't billion dollar industries is that they're just too expensive to run. Logistics are awful. Besides the NFL and CFB, Arena 1 was as close as you'll ever get back in its "glory days". And those didn't exactly last more than a few years.

The "development" part was oversold. I think the NFL is quite satisfied with their free meat market that the NCAA provides. But I do feel bad for guys that went to play in this league and got hurt or are stranded with no place to live in some cases.

Reactions: DiehardPanther

I gotta agree. I’d like the writer to explain: (1) why he mentioned the number of coaches whom the player played for, and (2) what that tidbit contributed to the story.

The player is a freakin’ punter, for heaven sakes. If the guy was a QB and had to learn a series of new offenses because of the coaching changes, it might have interest and relevance. But for a punter? No.

I don’t think the coach comment was a “dig”....just the reality that the kid has done a nice job and stuck through some things.

Reactions: Pitt79
They need to sue Dundon, he has the money, he just stopped spending it.
I’m sure he had his ownership interest structured in such a way that he won’t be personally liable for the unpaid expenses of the league.

I’m sure he had his ownership interest structured in such a way that he won’t be personally liable for the unpaid expenses of the league.
Of course, but there has to be something they can try. Also the players need some sort of class action lawsuit. I get that the league went out of business, but these guys where kicked out of their housing the instant they where told it was over. They stopped paying medical bills for injured players too.

Except that the NFL is a "legal" monopoly as ordained by congress.
It is not a legal monopoly, it was given anti-trust exemption only in relation to negotiating broadcast rights as a league rather than as individual franchises. Obviously that exemption did not prevent the AAF from also negotiating those same rights.

What idiotic lawyer or controller signed a seven-figure lease with no deposit or payment schedule?!?
Jail-lawyer-700107.jpg

It is not a legal monopoly, it was given anti-trust exemption only in relation to negotiating broadcast rights as a league rather than as individual franchises. Obviously that exemption did not prevent the AAF from also negotiating those same rights.

By being allowed to negotiate as a collective, the teams have a legally created an entity that casts a bigger market influence. That's the exact definition of a monopoly.

By being allowed to negotiate as a collective, the teams have a legally created an entity that casts a bigger market influence. That's the exact definition of a monopoly.
A monopoly has exclusive control of a market - not just a bigger influence - which the NFL clearly does not. Other professional football leagues have had tv contracts, which they would not have been able to do if the NFL had a monopoly.

All of the major sports in the US are able to negotiate media contracts as a unit, rather than as individual teams.

Who cares play ball!

This is sports, all I want are successful leagues with great players so I can watch really good sports.

Were not talking about breaking up ATT, Microsoft, IBM, the tech companies, this is just sports.

Play ball!

You can't run a hot dog stand unless you have a comprehensive successful business plan, fully capitalized, and have access to lines of credit to keep things moving forward if elements of the business plan don't work out.

Interesting story IMO:
Why the XFL could succeed where the AAF failed
Brent Schrotenboer
3 hrs ago
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ere-the-aaf-failed/ar-BBVEZGP?ocid=spartandhp

Last edited:
Who cares play ball!

You can't run a hot dog stand unless you have a comprehensive successful business plan, fully capitalized, and have access to lines of credit to keep things moving forward if elements of the business plan don't work out.

I guess the AAF didn't know this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT