ADVERTISEMENT

France Beats USA

They really need to stop letting NBA coaches be a part of the process…

This is just my opinion, so it’s probably not a great one, college coaches treat every game like it’s life or death and most of these NBA coaches just treat it like oh well we have 82 of these. Does Pop even realize they can’t lose again?
I think Coach K was arrogant enough to tell guys like Lebron, "play my way" and expect them to listen.

I think USA Basketball needs a better commitment from the NBA to allow these guys to train together or else just go back to college players who actually care. Can't they pressure Nike to write Olympics incentives into their branding deals? This seems like an easily solvable problem

I understand why owners want the focus to be on their NBA seasons, but the league executives have to realize playing on the world stage brings in more money for everyone. It tarnishes the NBA brand for the biggest stars to be losing pool games.

BS - this false narrative is exactly why the National team concept was rolled out and perfected by Coach K for years up until that crusty old Geezer Pop took over. They train and play international ball together prior to the World Championships and Olympics to avoid what you typed above. Call it what it is: baffling and unacceptable with the talent assembled on that roster.
Dude this roster kept changing. Most of the players are in their first Olympics playing together. Thats a problem. We used to have good chemistry with LeBron and Melo. Who does this team have who are really good together?

Seven guys were playing in the exhibition games who didn't even come to the Olympics. Yeah sure covid and injuries happened but it's too inconsistent.

I think Coach K was arrogant enough to tell guys like Lebron, "play my way" and expect them to listen.

I think USA Basketball needs a better commitment from the NBA to allow these guys to train together or else just go back to college players who actually care. Can't they pressure Nike to write Olympics incentives into their branding deals? This seems like an easily solvable problem

I understand why owners want the focus to be on their NBA seasons, but the league executives have to realize playing on the world stage brings in more money for everyone. It tarnishes the NBA brand for the biggest stars to be losing pool games.

Yes, I think they should roster more high end college talent. More time to practice and become a cohesive unit. Problem is, you still have nba guys who won't be able to practice with the rest of the team.

Coach K was 52-1, he only lost to Greece in 2006, then never lost again.

Coach K was 52-1, he only lost to Greece in 2006, then never lost again.

He did a very good job but he also had LeBron for I think the majority of those games. People may forget how the 92 and 96 Dream teams lost and almost lost respectively to college select teams when Jordan didn't play as much/at all in those scrimmages.

Hilarious reading all the excuses in this thread. None of it should matter. Just like all the excuses we are hearing about the women’s soccer team.

Yet the most dominant team by far is USA women’s basketball, yet you don’t hear a word about them. I guess no one cares.

Well, its not like it's Trinidad and Tobago....
The dirty little secret was that wasn't even a good T&T team by T&T standards and they were missing their best players. I will never forgive Bradley and Altidore, friggin bums. Dempsey I feel like would have died to make the WC but he way past his prime (but 2nd best player on the field that night). Bradley and Altidore remind me of our entitled women's soccer team. Rich AF without ever having to do anything of note. Soft as tissue paper.

Hilarious reading all the excuses in this thread. None of it should matter. Just like all the excuses we are hearing about the women’s soccer team.

Yet the most dominant team by far is USA women’s basketball, yet you don’t hear a word about them. I guess no one cares.
USA Women's Basketball is not guaranteed the gold. They lost to the WNBA all stars and to Australia in exhibition games. They are beatable.

If they flew from LA to Tokyo, they spent 11.5 hours on a plane, not exactly the best way to prepare for a basketball game.

It was actually even worse than that. Booker flew from Phoenix to Seattle, where he met up with Middleton and Holiday who had flown from Milwaukee to Seattle, and the three of them flew together from there.

I mean they were all charter flights, so it's not like they were squished into a middle seat or had to deal with all the schmucks you run into on a normal day at the airport. But still, that's a heck of a trip to fly that far, completely flip you internal clock, and play a game a half a day after you arrive.

What do you mean the "none of it should matter"? You think the US should just be able to roll the ball out and beat anyone? Sorry sir, those days are over. We need to actually take this seriously now and treat the team like a real team.

What do you mean the "none of it should matter"? You think the US should just be able to roll the ball out and beat anyone? Sorry sir, those days are over. We need to actually take this seriously now and treat the team like a real team.
I get it. But when you invent the game and have an enormous head start over the rest of the world, have a talent pool far deeper than everyone else’s, have the financial resources thats far greater than anyone, and have a population that far exceeds everyone else by a wide margin, it’s malpractice allowing the world to catch up. Exhibition or not, we’ve lost a handful of games over a 2 week period.

The same amount as everyone else.

Perhaps you missed it, but those guys were actually busy doing something else earlier that week.
Stop it - They were up 7 with under 4 to play and the so called best players in the world should be able to close out a game with that kind of lead.

Stop it - They were up 7 with under 4 to play and the so called best players in the world should be able to close out a game with that kind of lead.

Is there anyone, and I do literally mean anyone, on this planet who thinks that the players on the current US Olympic team are the best players in the world?

Seriously, you could make up a US team of guys who aren't playing that would be better, probably by a lot, than the guys who are there playing. Do you really not know that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT