ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin Safesport violation

Macchiato

Freshman
Oct 15, 2017
Coach Franklin was recently implicated in a civil lawsuit for allegedly pressuring the medical staff to play injured players. He was fortunate to be dropped from the case due to a filing deadline not being met. However, the doctor involved received payment, lending credibility to the claims. This incident clearly violates Safesport's physical abuse policy. Anyone aware of this situation is a mandatory reporter and is also in violation of Safesport regulations. This violation must be assessed at both state and federal levels to determine appropriate repercussions, which could include revoking the coaching certificate. These serious allegations could potentially end Jimmy's career, especially considering PSU's history of covering up abuse.

Isn’t that governing body only charged with Olympic & Paralympic athletes well being?

Isn’t that governing body only charged with Olympic & Paralympic athletes well being?
Safesport applies to all youth sports and certifies individuals to be coaches, volunteers, team managers, and more. Certification is done at both the national level and by Pennsylvania, which has specific reporting requirements due to the Penn State sex scandal. Reporting abuse is mandated by law. Playing injured players is considered abuse, and pressuring the team doctor to clear such players is a clear violation. Anyone aware of this situation who did not immediately report it to the authorities is also in violation. I am currently completing my annual Safesport training, and these requirements are clearly outlined.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Penn State is in clear violation of athlete abuse regulations established as a result of the sex scandal at their university.

Reactions: Blue Goose
Safesport applies to all youth sports and certifies individuals to be coaches, volunteers, team managers, and more. Certification is done at both the national level and by Pennsylvania, which has specific reporting requirements due to the Penn State sex scandal. Reporting abuse is mandated by law. Playing injured players is considered abuse, and pressuring the team doctor to clear such players is a clear violation. Anyone aware of this situation who did not immediately report it to the authorities is also in violation. I am currently completing my annual Safesport training, and these requirements are clearly outlined.
So are you reporting it?
Does this apply to professional sports?

College is not professional sports. Its now common knowledge as this violation is in the news that the former team doctor won his lawsuit. Thats a great question about reporting responsibilities. Every ody is a mandatory reporter and required to report even if they presume and dont know all of the facts

Thanks

College is not professional sports. Its now common knowledge as this violation is in the news that the former team doctor won his lawsuit. Thats a great question about reporting responsibilities. Every ody is a mandatory reporter and required to report even if they presume and dont know all of the facts
You might have just gotten us all in trouble.

Just last night I was match doctor for national league ice hockey. We work as a team of 2 docs. My partner for the game is sports med and was a team doc for the NZ Olympic team last Olympics. One team wasn't allowing him to assess a player who had hit his head on the ice. They said their physio said he was fine. The doc told them he could have the ref stop the game and remove him from play for a formal assessment if he couldn't assess him on the bench. They let him see him then. The player was fine and returned to play.
This stuff happens at all levels of sport. It amazes me that coaches (and players) would risk their brain health for fairly meaningless games.

Reactions: pittdan77
You and I are mandatory reporters due to our career. Im emergency medicine
I think this version of safesport is US centric.
NZ Safesport is mainly focused on sports groups having policies set up for police vetting and protection of youth participants from paedophiles and predators.
I was the ice hockey club president when this all happened. Everyone here called it the Penn State rules. Well, I started calling it that, but everyone knew what that meant, and a lot of the policy nationally was in response to that. We 100% police vet all coaches and volunteers.
As far as medical, most sports codes do nothing. NZ Ice Hockey just mandated game medics and some minimum standards for national league games. Mainly concussion assessment and removal and return to play. Modelled after NZ Rugby.
The other standards include equipment and training for safe removal of injured players from the ice, and preparedness to treat emergencies occurring with spectators.

I think this version of safesport is US centric.
NZ Safesport is mainly focused on sports groups having policies set up for police vetting and protection of youth participants from paedophiles and predators.
I was the ice hockey club president when this all happened. Everyone here called it the Penn State rules. Well, I started calling it that, but everyone knew what that meant, and a lot of the policy nationally was in response to that. We 100% police vet all coaches and volunteers.
As far as medical, most sports codes do nothing. NZ Ice Hockey just mandated game medics and some minimum standards for national league games. Mainly concussion assessment and removal and return to play. Modelled after NZ Rugby.
The other standards include equipment and training for safe removal of injured players from the ice, and preparedness to treat emergencies occurring with spectators.
Im sitting in clinic having this discussion. If we as medical providers witness a coach playing a player that was not cleared by Medical, are we required by law to report as abuse. We could use concussion as an example. The player was evaluated and diagnosed with instruction to rest until cleared by concussion clinic

Reactions: USN_Panther
Im sitting in clinic having this discussion. If we as medical providers witness a coach playing a player that was not cleared by Medical, are we required by law to report as abuse. We could use concussion as an example. The player was evaluated and diagnosed with instruction to rest until cleared by concussion clinic
Do most sports have an independent match doctor who can remove from play? Or is this left up to team staff? NZ Rugby mandates a group of match doctors who are independent and can call for any player to come off for an HIE head injury assessment.

You are reaching here. PSU will have 10 wins for getting off the bus, lose in the first round of the CFP to an SEC team and everyone in Pennsyltucky will rejoice

You are reaching here. PSU will have 10 wins for getting off the bus, lose in the first round of the CFP to an SEC team and everyone in Pennsyltucky will rejoice
No doubt they have great resources but not great success. They have never made the CFP despite spending like crazy. Expanding to 12 teams should help them but we shall see. Their QB is questionable.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
I'm not so sure anymore. They always think they should be in the CFP and that theOSU a nd Michigan were holding them back. Now that they will make it, I think the nitwit fans will not be satisfied with a 1st round exit, and everyone up there is going to turn up the heat on Jimmy Franks. I mean, they will only accept a couple 1st round exits before they blame the milk-dud, and realize it will take more to win it all. Nitwit fans are the dumbest, they actually think they are close to competing with the Georgia's and Bama's and theOSU's of the world. They make me laugh, especially the turds in our local media.

I'm a little surprised they haven't done better in the NIL portal era. Jimmy Franklin is tailor made for it. Maybe with Harbaugh gone he can win 11 one year.

I'm a little surprised they haven't done better in the NIL portal era. Jimmy Franklin is tailor made for it. Maybe with Harbaugh gone he can win 11 one year.
They don’t have the NIL resources to win a bunch of battles in the transfer portal. They got Chop Robinson from Maryland out of the portal who ended up being a first round pick, but I think everyone has been more of a depth piece.

No doubt they have great resources but not great success. They have never made the CFP despite spending like crazy. Expanding to 12 teams should help them but we shall see. Their QB is questionable.

The QB is beyond atrocious. Almost Jurkovec-level but it doesnt matter. You could put Phil or me or you out there vs the girls teams they play and they win 10.

Reactions: WillyDavis33
I hate that you made me look it up. They won 11 in 2022. He’s won 11 games 4 times in 8 seasons.

No CFPs with all that money spent Mrs Franks
Then post that as the criticism, there are many valid arguments to be made without outright making shit up. Sorry if I triggered you, I'll put a content warning next time for those easily offended by reality.

Then post that as the criticism, there are many valid arguments to be made without outright making shit up. Sorry if I triggered you, I'll put a content warning next time for those easily offended by reality.

My point all along has been no CFPs with SOOO much money spent. Try to keep up!

The QB is beyond atrocious. Almost Jurkovec-level but it doesnt matter. You could put Phil or me or you out there vs the girls teams they play and they win 10.
Didn’t like 4 WRs also transfer out in the portal?

I’m not sure what kind of offense they’ll have

Didn’t like 4 WRs also transfer out in the portal?

I’m not sure what kind of offense they’ll have

Again, it doesn't matter. They are playing girls 10 games/year. Their defense wont give up more than 10 PPG in those games.

I want them in the CFP. I can't wait to see them playing with the big boys. There will be no Maryland or Butgers or Indiana, the type of teams they beat down. They will not have the explosive offense that is needed to compete with the big boys. They can run it a little, but the qb and receivers just aren't good enough. They will lose by 3 tds to any of the top teams, so I hope they get there this year.

Again, it doesn't matter. They are playing girls 10 games/year. Their defense wont give up more than 10 PPG in those games.
If the offense is shitty enough they might drop a few to the soup cans as well

They weren’t exactly spectacular last year

Coach Franklin was recently implicated in a civil lawsuit for allegedly pressuring the medical staff to play injured players. He was fortunate to be dropped from the case due to a filing deadline not being met. However, the doctor involved received payment, lending credibility to the claims. This incident clearly violates Safesport's physical abuse policy. Anyone aware of this situation is a mandatory reporter and is also in violation of Safesport regulations. This violation must be assessed at both state and federal levels to determine appropriate repercussions, which could include revoking the coaching certificate. These serious allegations could potentially end Jimmy's career, especially considering PSU's history of covering up abuse.
SafeSport was sort of derived from what happened with Sandusky and Michigan State. While there was a law that created penalties for failing to report SA, SafeSport covers much more. I don't know that there are "mandatory reporters" for SafeSport but I think failing to report would be professional misconduct for a doctor or trainer. Just my opinion, though.

SafeSport was sort of derived from what happened with Sandusky and Michigan State. While there was a law that created penalties for failing to report SA, SafeSport covers much more. I don't know that there are "mandatory reporters" for SafeSport but I think failing to report would be professional misconduct for a doctor or trainer. Just my opinion, though.

I just did my recertification. it makes it clear that you must report even if you are unsure or don't have all of the facts.

Reactions: pittdan77
I just did my recertification. it makes it clear that you must report even if you are unsure or don't have all of the facts.
That seems to line up with how PA law mandates a report for people working with children.

Per your original post, I do believe that this situation would be a SafeSport violation, btw.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT