ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin still pegged to coach USC

Teh Teh

Senior
Aug 25, 2005
According to CBS and Danny Kanell on their podcast I just heard. Said there seemed to be mutual interest.

Franklin can make Saban money in state college but will still be in state college. He can make Saban money in LA. Hmmm what to do.

Reactions: kma0043
I’m guessing everyone thinks it’s a no-brainer. Big fish in a mud puddle is very appealing to some. See:
Paterno, joe
Saban, Nick
Knight, bobby
Smith, Dean
Coach K

People who regretted going to LA:
Howland, Ben
Lavin, Steve
Alford, Steve

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I’m guessing everyone thinks it’s a no-brainer. Big fish in a mud puddle is very appealing to some. See:
Paterno, joe
Saban, Nick
Knight, bobby
Smith, Dean
Coach K

Howland, Ben
Lavin, Steve
Alford, Steve
I don’t think anyone really knows except for Franklin. It just depends on what he and his family want.

I’ve come to realize PSU football is a machine and can recruit itself. If Franklin leaves the next guy will step in and produce similar results. They’ll always be close to the top in the B1G and with Meyer out at OSU they’ll split positioning with OSU and UM most years.

USC can be king out there. PSU will never be bigger than OSU or Mich. Good spot to be in for him that's for sure.

According to CBS and Danny Kanell on their podcast I just heard. Said there seemed to be mutual interest.
The USC twitter folks were eliminating all kinds of candidates yesterday after all of the bad losses from potential candidates. Franklin may have been only guy to have won.

I’ve come to realize PSU football is a machine and can recruit itself. If Franklin leaves the next guy will step in and produce similar results. They’ll always be close to the top in the B1G and with Meyer out at OSU they’ll split positioning with OSU and UM most years.
I tend to agree with this, especially after them barely hitting a speed bump following the Penn State Rape Scandal. But a bad coaching hire will set back any program. Even Alabama had a few lean years because of bad coaches.

Reactions: Jakey_John
Penn St or USC? Think about it for about 5-7 seconds. It’s not about Penn St (a fine program). It’s about what USC can be. They are isolated (relative to other conferences) and they still have a ton of good players in SoCal. Many are going to SEC. With Franklin (an elite recruiter)?They are going to Southen Cal.

That program can win a natty. Penn St can’t. Every big name coach asks themselves that question.

Last edited:
Kinda weird how so many people worry about what that team does. Who cares if he stays or goes that’s on them, not a Pitt problem.
I think some people (definitely not all) prefer to engage in dialogue with college football fans about all sorts of topics. I’m a WVU fan and Penn St truly isn’t much of a rival to us BUT it’s certainly an interesting topic.

It includes 2 historical programs and also an arch rival to Pitt fans. There’s nothing wrong with acknowledging a story from another program....especially if it’s the program that happened to cover up child rape by its defensive coordinator.

Obviously not a Pitt fan but I respect that program wayyy more than State College. Any news story that could possibly result in a detriment to Penn St sounds good to me.

I think some people (definitely not all) prefer to engage in dialogue with college football fans about all sorts of topics. I’m a WVU fan and Penn St truly isn’t much of a rival to us BUT it’s certainly an interesting topic.

It includes 2 historical programs and also an arch rival to Pitt fans. There’s nothing wrong with acknowledging a story from another program....especially if it’s the program that happened to cover up child rape by its defensive coordinator.

Obviously not a Pitt fan but I respect that program wayyy more than State College. Any news story that could possibly result in a detriment to Penn St sounds good to me.
Ohio St, Michigan & Michigan St all had hundreds of sexual assaults by active team doctors. That is gross and disgusting also. Not downplaying what happened their but Sandusky was a former DC correct?
Franklin is the current coach, so I give you it’s a topic. I don’t see him leaving, more as wishful thinking by other schools.

Ohio St, Michigan & Michigan St all had hundreds of sexual assaults by active team doctors. That is gross and disgusting also. Not downplaying what happened their but Sandusky was a former DC correct?
Franklin is the current coach, so I give you it’s a topic. I don’t see him leaving, more as wishful thinking by other schools.
You don't see him leaving, but what if you were in the same situation?
Seriously, as good as he has it at Penn St, you wouldn't trade cow fields for Hollywood? That is a complete fairy tale on your part. If USC wants him, no money will keep him there. Too much glitz and glamour in LA. Also USC has a national recruiting base. When their program is right, it is on par with Alabama as far as the kids they are recruiting.

You don't see him leaving, but what if you were in the same situation?
Seriously, as good as he has it at Penn St, you wouldn't trade cow fields for Hollywood? That is a complete fairy tale on your part. If USC wants him, no money will keep him there. Too much glitz and glamour in LA. Also USC has a national recruiting base. When their program is right, it is on par with Alabama as far as the kids they are recruiting.
I’m not a coach, I own a engineering company so I can’t answer that. My daughter went to Pitt for dentistry. In my opinion it’s nothing more than wishful thinking. In the last 5 years their were RUMORS of him going to USC, Texas, FSU, Miami & now USC again. Did he leave for them? I don’t know what he’ll do not honestly a me issue. He said before and reiterated it again Penn State was his “dream job”. All I know is he’s from Pa and by all reports I have read he’s happy as is his family.
How much money is enough? He’s making roughly $7M now, he would need to get around $10M to break even with a 14% tax rate. Saban only makes $9.3M so I don’t see USC paying more for him. It’s not my money if they want too great.
Honestly not looking to debate this further, my granddaughter wants to go riding horses. Enjoy your day gents.

Penn St or USC? Think about it for about 5-7 seconds. It’s not about Penn St (a fine program). It’s about what USC can be. They are isolated (relative to other conferences) and they still have a ton of good players in SoCal. Many are going to SEC. With Franklin (an elite recruiter)?They are going to Southen Cal.

That program can win a natty. Penn St can’t. Every big name coach asks themselves that question.
Yeah but…. The Creamery….

You always say that but it’s not true. If Texas A&M wanted Franklin tomorrow they could offer him way more than Penn St could ever hope to match. Not that they would, but they certainly could.

I mean, yea, but what I mean is that it would get to a point where that team would move on. PSU will pay Franklin up to $10 million/year and I don't see anyone else paying that for him.

If Penn St were smart they would let him walk. They can win with or without him. They should win the big 10 this year and should be a CFP team. The reason is Yurcich their OC , just like it was Moorhead several years ago when they were relevant in the Big Ten. Their defense is always solid. Franklin is a great recruiter, but he is only as good as his assistants. Many have left over the years. He is almost as bad as Narduzzi with in game decision-making and many times looks more lost. Franklin would be stupid not take the USC job.

If Penn St were smart they would let him walk. They can win with or without him. They should win the big 10 this year and should be a CFP team. The reason is Yurcich their OC , just like it was Moorhead several years ago when they were relevant in the Big Ten. Their defense is always solid. Franklin is a great recruiter, but he is only as good as his assistants. Many have left over the years. He is almost as bad as Narduzzi with in game decision-making and many times looks more lost. Franklin would be stupid not take the USC job.
So you're saying Franklin is a great recruiter, he always has a solid defense, he hires quality coordinators to run his offense, he wins a lot, and they should totally let him walk?

That's some sound logic. :rolleyes:

So you're saying Franklin is a great recruiter, he always has a solid defense, he hires quality coordinators to run his offense, he wins a lot, and they should totally let him walk?

That's some sound logic. :rolleyes:
Hire his assistants to take over. The reality is there it doesn’t matter. Anyone can win with the resources and following they have.

Thanks for the philosophical analysis. You must have been a graduate of Pitt’s philosophy program. Top’s in the country.

Hire his assistants to take over. The reality is there it doesn’t matter. Anyone can win with the resources and following they have.

Thanks for the philosophical analysis. You must have been a graduate of Pitt’s philosophy program. Top’s in the country.

That type of thinking is exactly why USC is where they are today.

The reality is that many schools on PSU's schedule have equal resources and massive followings. Franklin knows how to run a program. Just ask Vanderbilt.

I’m not a coach, I own a engineering company so I can’t answer that. My daughter went to Pitt for dentistry. In my opinion it’s nothing more than wishful thinking. In the last 5 years their were RUMORS of him going to USC, Texas, FSU, Miami & now USC again. Did he leave for them? I don’t know what he’ll do not honestly a me issue. He said before and reiterated it again Penn State was his “dream job”. All I know is he’s from Pa and by all reports I have read he’s happy as is his family.
How much money is enough? He’s making roughly $7M now, he would need to get around $10M to break even with a 14% tax rate. Saban only makes $9.3M so I don’t see USC paying more for him. It’s not my money if they want too great.
Honestly not looking to debate this further, my granddaughter wants to go riding horses. Enjoy your day gents.
That is 100% spot on. He’s not leaving PSU.

But isn’t Franklin only being “as good as his assistants” a testament to him? If they’ve had that kind of success under him while having numerous assistants come and go, doesn’t that mean he’s pretty good at evaluating coaching talent?

I don’t love defending him, but from the perspective of a Pitt fan, I wouldn’t want to let him walk with what he has going on there if I were a PSU fan. We found out the hard way, there’s no guarantee the next guy will be just as good! Just my opinion, though.

Reactions: chirurgo
Paterno, joe
Saban, Nick
Knight, bobby
Smith, Dean
Coach K

Howland, Ben
Lavin, Steve
Alford, Steve
Why would Ben Howland regret going to LA? He did Good at UCLA

Franklin just wants more money from PSU and he will get it.

Im wondering if PSU are that delusional to actually believe this?

He is already making great money. Why would he entertain USC to make alittle more? I actually like USC, so I dont want the guy there and running their program afoul

ADVERTISEMENT