ADVERTISEMENT

From PG: Pitt Weekly Chat with Brian Batko

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
Enjoy!!!

Panther Blue '86: I live in New England, yet I made the effort to travel to the (Joe) Pa. State game as well as the Okla. State game. On TV, I watched GT beat us and YSU almost beat us. I still want to believe Coach Narduzzi is the right coach. Can you give me some solid reasons to watch any more games this year and/or hope that Pitt can turn this around next year?
Brian Batko: Hi, Panther Blue. Sounds like you're asking for a "bright spots" report. Here's what I've got:

1. Quadree Henderson returned another punt for a TD last week, so maybe he's close to breaking out
2. He hasn't been great, but aren't you at least a little intrigued by what Ben DiNucci does and how much progress he might be making toward being next year's starter?
3. The defense as a whole is probably a bit better than the numbers would indicate. It's also very young, so guys to keep an eye on there include Rashad Weaver, Dewayne Hendrix, Jordan Whitehead and Damar Hamlin.

M96: Where are the playmakers on defense for this team? There is no one that the other team has to account for on every play.
Brian Batko: Agreed, the lack of a pass rush continues to hurt this team. Granted, Georgia Tech doesn't give you a chance for many sacks, but the D-line hype entering the season hasn't been met. The best playmaker on this unit is probably Jordan Whitehead, and he's back in for the remainder of the year now. I'd say the linebackers need to step things up and make a play happen, though.
Brian Batko: please don't leave

PittMan: Do you agree that this team and program are in trouble now and in the future? The recruiting is below average and last in the ACC. The coaching has been terrible with zero game adjustments.
Brian Batko: I certainly agree they're in trouble right now. Looking at the rest of the schedule, there are no layup wins. Coming into the year, I'd have told you Syracuse is close to a layup. I'd have told you Virginia is very much a layup. But now? I half expect Rice to make it closer than expected.

As for the future, indeed recruiting needs to pick up. But any program would tell you that. Narduzzi has shown a willingness to go after big fish, but he just hasn't landed many lately. The 2017 class had some solid gets, so now it's just a matter of those young players developing. Of course, everyone else in the conference is working toward the same.

PittisLit: Is the honeymoon period over for Narduzzi?
Brian Batko: My honeymoon lasted a week, so yeah, I'd say it's been over. I'd have said that if Pitt was 3-1, too.

Pitt Man33: In year 3 of Narduzzi, recruiting has fallen NOT risen. It appears that Narduzzi can't recruit or coach. What do Pitt football fans have to look forward to next season?
Brian Batko: Not entirely sure why you're already moving on to next season, Pitt Man33. Obviously most expected this team to look better than it has so far, but didn't you anticipate a 1-3 start? I know I did. If you really want me to answer that question, you guys and myself will look forward to the same things we always do: who's the quarterback, who's the running back, which young guys are stepping up, etc.

Time is a flat circle.

Brian Batko: Also, to be more specific, Pitt plays at Notre Dame next year. That's always fun, right?

Blawnox Panther: Pitt's current football team is a disgrace and an embarrassment! Any chance Narduzzi is fired after this season or at least on the HOT seat next year?>
Brian Batko: *shakes magic 8-ball*

Don't count on it

Pope: How do we NOT hold the Pitt coaches responsible for converting zero points off 4 turnovers? The comment from Ga Tech coach Paul Johnson was spot on. Pitt is NOT a good team.
Brian Batko: You do, and I do, and they did. There's plenty of blame to go around, from coaches to players. Like any HC, Narduzzi is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't when it comes to talking about a loss. Blame the players, and you're throwing them under the bus. Blame yourself, and fans say, "Geez, man, what the heck are you doing???"
Brian Batko: And to address the Paul Johnson dart quickly, as smarmy as it may have been, I still think Narduzzi would probably agree with him if he's being honest. In fact, here's a sampling of Narduzzi's own postgame quotes in Atlanta:

"We have to get a lot better offensively and defensively. "
"We’re not there yet."
"They’ve got guys on scholarship, too, but we blocked other guys like that so we’re supposed to block them, right?"

DB1976: Has Narduzzi lost this team? Last week, there was no blocking, no heart, no guts, and no pressure from the players and no imagination from the coordinators.
Brian Batko: Too early for me to say that, DB. I don't think the protection or run-blocking issues are lack of heart, I think it's lack of ability in some cases, at least right now. Do I think Pitt played as hard as Narduzzi said it did? Not necessarily, but he has to say that. Still, I think it's tougher to "lose" a college team than a pro team. I will agree the offense looks very unimaginitive from where we all sit.

Pitt Girl: What is your revised prediction for the season? Sadly, I say 3-9 or 4-8 at best. Losing is one thing but being this bad is unacceptable!
Brian Batko: Good question. I'll say 4-8 with wins over Syracuse and Virginia still. UNC and Duke probably still potential victories, but we'll see.

Mad Pitter: How bad will the attendance be against Rice this Saturday? Please tell me the game is not nationally televised so we don't get ridiculed about the empty yellow seats, sleepy fans or free drinks.
Brian Batko: I think it'll be quite poor, Mad Pitter, but embarrassment factor won't be the same when Pitt isn't losing 35-0 with the quickness. Still, it'll be bad, and people will notice. Just the nature of the beast.

OHIO412FAN: Brian, with Pitt struggling right now to find any ground, no matter who is QB, Brown or Dinnucci, what can this team including Narduzzi, do to boost the overall state of being moving forward for winning football games?
Brian Batko: Run the ball better http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2017/09/26/Pitt-football-Qadre...

Terry: Is there anyway they get AJ Davis more involved feel like burning his redshirt has been completely wasted. And it's not like moss ollison and hall have showed anything special.
Brian Batko: Pat Narduzzi and RBs coach Andre Powell have both said AJ Davis is making progress, but we haven't seen him since that opener. As Pitt's run game stays grounded, I think they'll try to get Davis involved, or at least it wouldn't surprise me just to switch things up and see what happens.

Daddy Ben: I think everyone is overlooking how bad our defensive line is. I understand they’re young but little pressure from the ends and when there is pressure they can’t tackle. Hendrix and Weaver are highly praised among fans but I’m pretty sure they combined for 2 tackles this past week and little impact on the season overall
Brian Batko: Thank you, Daddy. I agree, as I noted above, it's been disappointing. But I think the interior has been worse than those two ends. They've each made a couple plays at times this year, sacks or TFL, in their first real season of action.

SOMDPanther: It seems like we are in yet another era of "Waiting for a QB Savior" in Pitt Football World. Outside of QB, what do you think is Pitt's biggest concern: A. Play Calling B. Offensive Line Quality C. Recruiting D. Slow Development of "Duzz's Recruits."
Brian Batko: Good afternoon, SOMD. Tough to pinpoint that, but I guess I'll say D. I expect more out of some of these players Narduzzi has brought in, on both sides of the ball.

GregBrownsToupee: What's up with the short passes on third and long? Are the coaches telling the QB to check down if no one's open? I would have rather have seen them throwing into double coverage than witness another two yard pass last Saturday.
Brian Batko: I essentially asked Narduzzi this on Monday, and he replied, "Well, I think [Ben DiNucci's] supposed to go through his progressions and key what he's supposed to key, and sometimes you look there and sometimes you don't, and that's maybe a little bit of the problem, too. I'll leave it at that."

Rico Bosco: How hot is Narduzzi’s seat? These are mostly his guys now and the result is garbage. His recruiting is god awful aside from a few WPIAL wins and Aj Davis. The way he’s handling the QB situation is setting the program back even further. It is clear no QB will succeed with how poor the offensive line is, but with this season being essentially over, wouldn’t it be nice to get Macvittie some game experience?
Brian Batko: Oh he's getting the game experience all right - on the punt return team. Obviously, Narduzzi and OC Shawn Watson don't believe he's ready, and of course it's too early to just punt on this season with a QB isn't ready in their eyes.

H2P: David hale had some stats about Pitts offense it went 18 straight games putting up 24 points or more through the last 2 years while through the first 4 games failed to reach the mark in regulation. I known the offense lost a lot but most of the blame has to be put on Watson. What say you
Brian Batko: I don't necessarily agree with that. As you said, H2P, the offense lost a lot. At literally every position, they're working in some new faces. Granted, lots of teams do that around the country, but Peterman-Conner-Bisnowaty-Johnson-Orndoff is a lot to replace. Watson has to figure it out, though.

I wonder how many of the chat people are Nitters posing as Pitt fans?

Or WVU etc. Or other local media!

Sadly i say that because I don't think Pitt fans would be likely to bother. It's like a collective shrug. I only joined here to try to follow my local player and find out why he can't break the depth chart with fairly pedestrian players ahead of him. That ship seems to have sailed by now. Redshirt or transfer seems possible. But since then I've been struck not so much by the bad results but the relatively little outright anger over it. There is far more anger in my area over Ohio State after WINS (in this case that poll drops occur after). Here there just seems either acceptance or outright antagonism of the FANS, who are the victims!

A lot- that ups scum always infiltrates these discussions impersonatingPitt fans! They have been playing these tricks for years

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT