ADVERTISEMENT

From Post-Gazette: AD Lyke says Stallings wants to be here

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
In one of her first meetings with Pitt men’s basketball coach Kevin Stallings, athletic director Heather Lyke asked him a simple question.

“Do you want to be here?”

According to Lyke, there was nothing uncertain about his response: Stalling is committed to coaching at Pitt and getting his program back on track. That meeting was scheduled to last an hour, and it ended up going for about three and a half, Lyke told reporters during a sitdown Tuesday morning at Petersen Events Center.

She’s about 90 days into the job, stepping into a situation where the football team is stable but fan excitement has waned for what was the university’s flagship sport for much of the decade.

Asked about some of her top priorities so far at Pitt, Lyke said, “Obviously, there’s a huge focus on building our basketball brand back. I think that’s a necessity, it’s important and it’s doable here.”

Last season, in Stallings’ first year, the Panthers finished just 4-14 in ACC play, missed the NCAA tournament, then lost Cameron Johnson, their leading returning scorer, in a highly publicized transfer struggle between him and the athletic department.

But Lyke sounds confident that once fans meet the team’s host of newcomers and hear about Stallings’ vision for the future, they’ll be back on board with plenty of enthusiasm even for a roster that has been entirely revamped.

“I’ll just tell you, [Stallings] parks right next to me, and his car’s usually here in the morning before I get here and often here after 11 o’clock when I leave,” Lyke said. “His staff is working incredibly hard to get the right kids here. We’re obviously in a very unique and unusual recruiting situation, one we hope to never have to be in again.”

Brian Batko: bbatko@post-gazette.com and Twitter @BrianBatko.

Who cares if he wants to be here, does he realize that most people don't want him here. Heck does Ms. Lyke realize this or even care? She sounds like Neal Huntington, spinning Bob Nutting's cheapness over and over. Good grief.

Most not wanting him here is likely correct. That could change. But it wont if we don't make the NCAAs by Stalling's season #3 (2018-19)--or so close that season #4 (2019-20) appears to be a certainty for making the NCAAs.

Stallings will stick around long enough to collect his buyout....

Most not wanting him here is likely correct. That could change. But it wont if we don't make the NCAAs by Stalling's season #3 (2018-19)--or so close that season #4 (2019-20) appears to be a certainty for making the NCAAs.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
The man has a signed contract and nobody held a gun to Pitts head to hire him or to offer him a 6 yr contract . It's time to stop blaming him for Pitts decision . No ones going to voluntarily walk away from that amount of cash , would you ? I'm willing to bet the mans independently wealthy after his 17 yrs at Vanderbilt and he's going to try as hard as he can to be successful at Pitt . Nothing I've seen so far suggests to me that he's a quitter , if he goes down it's not because he isn't trying . If he does wake up one day and decides he's had enough I'll bet he'll just retire ...no buyout ....but it's not going to happen .

Last edited:
You heard it here and mark it down.
Stalling will slowly improve the team, recruiting, will approach Dixon last three year levels ( which were his worst) , he's a cheap date, and will hang on atleast thru his six year deal!
Who knows maybe the AD after Lyke will sign him on for six more years???

You heard it here and mark it down.
Stalling will slowly improve the team, recruiting, will approach Dixon last three year levels ( which were his worst) , he's a cheap date, and will hang on atleast thru his six year deal!
Who knows maybe the AD after Lyke will sign him on for six more years???
Fully agree. Stallings won't leave unless he himself decides to. And Lyke has short timer written all over her. Not as a knock on her but either there will be general success (not in hoops, but football will stay decent, and there'll be some progress in the unimportant sports that impresses people more in academic circles), and she'll cover herself in it and get the call to a better program; or, things will slide and she'll slither off to a different job to avoid the stain, as Barnes did. The Pitt admin will plop the pharmacist guy back into the job as interim for half a year, which is perversely the only time there seems to be consistency.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT