ADVERTISEMENT

Future Coach Blueprint

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Note. I posted this on the pay board.....BEFORE the UNC game. And at the time, I was just openly opining what I would do and look for when/if Pitt would look for their next coach. Well......I mean after this weekend, obviously this post is a bit more topical than just simply a wishlist.

I am not saying I want to fire Narduzzi. I am not saying Narduzzi is going to leave. And I am not saying I want Josh Heupel as the next Pitt coach. But.......................

He has that exact resume I would look for if I would have to hire a coach. Granted, geographically he is not someone who sticks out, but neither was Ben Howland, neither was Johnny Majors or Jackie Sherrill. Again, this is not about Josh Heupel but a resume, though some of you I can say this 1000 times and you will pick apart why Heupel is less qualified than Narduzzi. That's not the point. I am looking into the future.

QB. I like coaches who were QB's or Offensive Linemen. They seem more cerebral, and understand the game, like a Catcher makes a good baseball manager or a Point Guard makes a good basketball coach. So that is point #1.

Oklahoma. He played at a major program. Not absolutely a deal breaker, but this isn't a bad thing.

NFL. Cup of coffee in the NFL. Good exposure to a lot of different styles and coaches. You also establish a lot of contacts.

Career Progression. GA at Oklahoma, position coach at Arizona, position coach at OU, Passing game coordinator at OU, then OC and AHC at Utah State, then OC at Mizzou and now HC at UCF. So a progression through some different schools, not married to one coach, exposed to different coaches. Again, you also not only see many different coaching styles and schemes, you establish a lot of contacts that you don't if you just stayed at one place or under one coach.

40. Is the new 30. Just kidding, but 40 years old is a good age to get your first P5 Head coaching job.

Again, I am not advocating Josh Heupel as HC of Pitt. I am saying, this is the route I would like to pursue if necessary instead of taking a flyer on another Coordinator. Heupel was that, but also now will have HC experience. And I think college football is such an offensive game now, it is better to have your coach's expertise is better served there.

Addition to my post the other day.

Also, you can't live in fear of hiring a coach that will eventually be poached by a big time program. You want a guy who is upwardly mobile. You can't be fearful of leaving. I would rather take the following: A coach who comes in and goes:
8-5
9-4
11-3
12-2
And then maybe be swept up by big money power than a coach who surfs around that 7-5 wave, you know
8-5
7-6
8-5
5-7
7-6
9-4
5-7
Etc.................

Note. I posted this on the pay board.....BEFORE the UNC game. And at the time, I was just openly opining what I would do and look for when/if Pitt would look for their next coach. Well......I mean after this weekend, obviously this post is a bit more topical than just simply a wishlist.

I am not saying I want to fire Narduzzi. I am not saying Narduzzi is going to leave. And I am not saying I want Josh Heupel as the next Pitt coach. But.......................

He has that exact resume I would look for if I would have to hire a coach. Granted, geographically he is not someone who sticks out, but neither was Ben Howland, neither was Johnny Majors or Jackie Sherrill. Again, this is not about Josh Heupel but a resume, though some of you I can say this 1000 times and you will pick apart why Heupel is less qualified than Narduzzi. That's not the point. I am looking into the future.

QB. I like coaches who were QB's or Offensive Linemen. They seem more cerebral, and understand the game, like a Catcher makes a good baseball manager or a Point Guard makes a good basketball coach. So that is point #1.

Oklahoma. He played at a major program. Not absolutely a deal breaker, but this isn't a bad thing.

NFL. Cup of coffee in the NFL. Good exposure to a lot of different styles and coaches. You also establish a lot of contacts.

Career Progression. GA at Oklahoma, position coach at Arizona, position coach at OU, Passing game coordinator at OU, then OC and AHC at Utah State, then OC at Mizzou and now HC at UCF. So a progression through some different schools, not married to one coach, exposed to different coaches. Again, you also not only see many different coaching styles and schemes, you establish a lot of contacts that you don't if you just stayed at one place or under one coach.

40. Is the new 30. Just kidding, but 40 years old is a good age to get your first P5 Head coaching job.

Again, I am not advocating Josh Heupel as HC of Pitt. I am saying, this is the route I would like to pursue if necessary instead of taking a flyer on another Coordinator. Heupel was that, but also now will have HC experience. And I think college football is such an offensive game now, it is better to have your coach's expertise is better served there.

Also, you can't live in fear of hiring a coach that will eventually be poached by a big time program. You want a guy who is upwardly mobile. You can't be fearful of leaving. I would rather take the following: A coach who comes in and goes:
8-5
9-4
11-3
12-2
And then maybe be swept up by big money power than a coach who surfs around that 7-5 wave, you know
8-5
7-6
8-5
5-7
7-6
9-4
5-7
Etc.................

Back when he was playing, I posted that Tyler Palko would be the HC one day. He's like the Sean Miller of Western PA football. I cant believe he decided not to go into coaching. He's exactly as you described

Is Coach_Candidate worth a billion dollars?

If yes, then hire.

If no, then keep searching.

Only one viable candidate.

Back when he was playing, I posted that Tyler Palko would be the HC one day. He's like the Sean Miller of Western PA football. I cant believe he decided not to go into coaching. He's exactly as you described

Man, you come out with some wild stuff sometimes, but yeah on this one I am totally with you.......when he graduated Pitt and was bouncing around NFL practice squads I figured he would go become a GA somewhere and at some point would eventually end up being a good head coach. Not sure why he didn't go in that route. I find that interesting.

Is Coach_Candidate worth a billion dollars?

If yes, then hire.

If no, then keep searching.

Only one viable candidate.

Saban aside (assuming you are talking about him) but we talk about spending $500 million for a new, on campus stadium. Right now, the best money Pitt can spend on football is to seriously pay for a coach and a staff. They can probably do that for $490 million less than the new stadium costs.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr

Man, you come out with some wild stuff sometimes, but yeah on this one I am totally with you.......when he graduated Pitt and was bouncing around NFL practice squads I figured he would go become a GA somewhere and at some point would eventually end up being a good head coach. Not sure why he didn't go in that route. I find that interesting.

He met a girl from KC while he was with the Chiefs and married her. Maybe she just made it clear that she wanted to stay in KC and not live the life of a coach's life. Tough break for us of course

I think your staff is more imporant than your HC. Your HC needs to be able to talk and sell Pitt to the media, fans and recruits. The best HC’s imo are the ones who let their staff’s have control of their positions/side of the ball.

Who ever comes in next needs to get Kasperowicz on the staff. Needs to get the best recruiters from OH, PA, NJ, DMV and FL.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I think your staff is more imporant than your HC. Your HC needs to be able to talk and sell Pitt to the media, fans and recruits. The best HC’s imo are the ones who let their staff’s have control of their positions/side of the ball.

Who ever comes in next needs to get Kasperowicz on the staff. Needs to get the best recruiters from OH, PA, NJ, DMV and FL.
Not even close.....
It starts...progresses ...and ends w the HC

It is 100% on the top guy......but he must be given the resources to do the job in today’s P5 world

Many know the X and Os....only a few can make that very big leap from asisstant to HC w real success.

8-5
9-4
11-3
12-2
8-5
7-6
8-5
5-7
7-6
9-4
5-7
Etc.................

someone like this guy, perhaps

https://sports.yahoo.com/12-year-old-meet-countrys-unconventional-young-coach-212251713.html

8-5
9-4
11-3
12-2
8-5
7-6
8-5
5-7
7-6
9-4
5-7
Etc.................

Not one mention of recruiting ability. This is where Pitt fans go off the rails because it's the only thing that matters out of the gate. The X's and O's matter but only if you have the right talent. Right now, recruiting is the only way to fix the program.

Reactions: Pitt79

8-5
9-4
11-3
12-2
8-5
7-6
8-5
5-7
7-6
9-4
5-7
Etc.................

ABSOLUTELY! The coach being poached away after 3-4 years because I HAD FUN watching 3-4 great seasons is exactly what I want to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT