ADVERTISEMENT

Games in 4K?

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
I recently upgraded to a 4K TV from standard HD. Noticed that most games aren't typically airing in 4K. Do they make them available in 4K somewhere else?

I recently upgraded to a 4K TV from standard HD. Noticed that most games aren't typically airing in 4K. Do they make them available in 4K somewhere else?
Directv has a 4K station or two that they use for big sporting events, but for the most part there isn't any real 4K out there. Your TV will upscale what it gets into 4K, or close to it.

Lots of 4K streaming out there for movies, though. And if you get a 4K Bluray player and watch 4K Blurays, it's fabulous.

Reactions: HailtoPitt
Directv has a 4K station or two that they use for big sporting events, but for the most part there isn't any real 4K out there. Your TV will upscale what it gets into 4K, or close to it.

Lots of 4K streaming out there for movies, though. And if you get a 4K Bluray player and watch 4K Blurays, it's fabulous.

Thanks. What about streaming movies? I want to watch the new Mission Impossible and if I rent it on Prime it says it's in UHD. Will that be true 4k or will it just be upscaled?

As SMF mentioned, most over-the-air stations do not air in 4K, and the only occasional 4K programs are found on streaming services such as YouTube TV.

However, this will change as ATSC 3.0 TV becomes more widespread. If you wish to watch live 4K television, your best will actually be with an over-the-air antenna in the next 1-3 years.

Last edited:
I think it's just the year I bought the TV but oddly on my Samsung I had to turn 4k on in the settings it wasn't just native on the hdmi port. Netflix / Disney and other streaming services have a lot of 4k content.

YouTube TV has a few sporting events in 4K for an extra $10 a month, during football season it’s limited to one FOX college game, Notre Dame home games, and a Premier League game.

As SMF mentioned, most over-the-air stations do not air in 4K, and the only occasional 4K programs are found on streaming services such as YouTube TV.

Its not just OTA stations. There is very close to 0 4K content. OK, the World Cup was in 4K. I think the Super Bowl is. The CFP may be. Some movies are. Like no TV shows are. Its just not enough.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Its not just OTA stations. There is very close to 0 4K content. OK, the World Cup was in 4K. I think the Super Bowl is. The CFP may be. Some movies are. Like no TV shows are. Its just not enough.
Correct, I just mentioned OTA because HailToPitt mentioned games and assumed he meant NFL games on ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC.

The abc games are always available in 4k.

Do u notice a difference

The abc games are always available in 4k.

Do u notice a difference

I thought they said 720 yesterday. Maybe that was CBS and FOX though.

I notice a difference with some 4k YouTube videos. The HBO Max 4k didn't seem great.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT