ADVERTISEMENT

Gattis fired at Miami

Most OCs at the college level, and certainly most that stick around at a coordinator level for a long time know what they are doing.

Maybe, although not all

But this seems to be a completely different argument. I was wondering how you square your “he has done what most OCs would do based on the schools he has been at” argument with “he’s a quality OC” point. If he’s just done what they all would do at Rutgers, then he isn’t a quality above most every OC.

I’d also argue he hasn’t really been an OC that long. At least not in the last 10 years.

Obviously the head coach gets the wins and losses but as a general idea of how their teams did with them as OC's ....... admittedly there are much better criteria for OC, so your point is well taken !

If you use total offense as a criteria to evaluate OC's ....... in 4 years, Gattis teams have averaged a ranking of #64 (skewed by one great year at Michigan) and Cignetti teams in 12 years have averaged #66 (skewed by 2 great years at Fresno State) ........ in the last 3 years (since Cignetti came back to the college game), Gattis (at Michigan and Miami) teams averaged #63 and Cignetti (at BC and Pitt) #75 ...... Gattis in 3 years at Michigan averaged #57 in total offense and Cignetti in 3 years at Pitt has averaged #58 ........

In scoring offense, in 4 years Gattis teams average ranking is #56 and in 12 years Cignetti #53 ..... in the last 3 years, Gattis teams averaged #60 in scoring offense and Cignetti #68 ...... if you take out the Fresno State years from Cignetti's record (posters say that skews his record), then in his last 8 years that he has been an OC (without Fresno State) Cignetti's teams have averaged #60 in scoring offense.

I would say that even though he has coached at lower rated football schools, Cignetti's record stacks up very well compared to Gattis and I think highly of Gattis.

You’re using too many words to try to convince me that FCJ is on par with an OC that was fired after one year.

I believe you. That’s why I wondering why anybody would want Gattis?

I’d run as far as I could from both of them.

Along with, oh, another 130 or so OCs.
I’m reporting this post for ridiculously being stupid
Since its premise is a guy. With 6x More experience has never been considered a top assistant because no top proram
His mediocre ass A whereas the other guy climbed fast through top programs to win an award .

And his suggestion is the guy with 20 years of mediocrity is a better choise that the young and dynamic guy with. 6 years of advancement - is
Well
Reasons ?!?

Correct
Their stud qb was injured aand they played. 3rd stringer multiple games

Pitt - um played Yarnell 1 game
Gattis didn't get fired by Miami because his 3rd string QB played poorly ...... he got fired because their stud QB who started the first 7 games before getting injured regressed significantly and struggled under Gattis.

3 of 4 years Gattis has been an OC, his total offense has been ranked less than average ..... then he leaves Michigan after his one really good year and goes to a lesser ranked program and Michigan's offense certainly didn't miss him ..... he then gets fired after one year at Miami .....

I actually like Gattis and think he is a good young coach with good potential ..... I just am not convinced he is a sure fire Hall of Famer like you do, especially since the rankings of his offenses to date are basically the same as the "mediocre" Cignetti.

I’m reporting this post for ridiculously being stupid
Since its premise is a guy. With 6x More experience has never been considered a top assistant because no top proram
His mediocre ass A whereas the other guy climbed fast through top programs to win an award .

And his suggestion is the guy with 20 years of mediocrity is a better choise that the young and dynamic guy with. 6 years of advancement - is
Well
Reasons ?!?
Where have I said either is a better choice?

Great point and spot on…. Remember: Belichek was a genius until Brady left…. Players make the difference…
I think Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan are two excellent offensive coaches who actually make their players look better. Other than those two exceptions I agree with your statement

Gattis didn't get fired by Miami because his 3rd string QB played poorly ...... he got fired because their stud QB who started the first 7 games before getting injured regressed significantly and struggled under Gattis.

3 of 4 years Gattis has been an OC, his total offense has been ranked less than average ..... then he leaves Michigan after his one really good year and goes to a lesser ranked program and Michigan's offense certainly didn't miss him ..... he then gets fired after one year at Miami .....

I actually like Gattis and think he is a good young coach with good potential ..... I just am not convinced he is a sure fire Hall of Famer like you do, especially since the rankings of his offenses to date are basically the same as the "mediocre" Cignetti.

Gattis’ offensive rankings are actually pretty good before Miami.

F+ Offensive Rankings:

‘19: 22
‘20: 36
‘21: 10

2020 wasn’t great. But not horrible. And COVID probably hit the Big 10 and Pac12 the hardest. The other two you probably take that range every year at a school like Michigan.

The problem for Gattis is Michigan was 16th in 2018, the year before he got there.

So he walked into a situation that was looking for something new and dynamic. And his “speed in space” concepts was suppose to be it.

It didn’t really do that. Michigan eventually just reverted back to what Harbaugh was doing before Gattis.

And thanks to Harbaugh being there a while and stacking OL classes, he walked into a situation that was already elevating and was set up to continue having success doing that. Both before and after Gattis (they finished 11th this year in F+ offense).

Then Gattis goes to Miami and tries to implement a lot of what Harbaugh did but it doesn’t work because there aren’t a bunch of stud OL recruiting classes already stacked.

And without that he was kind of exposed. His passing concepts weren’t worth much, just like they weren’t at Michigan and had to be abandoned.

So you end up with the lack of explosiveness that has plagued Michigan under Gattis (and really Harbaugh as well). Without the play to play efficiency run success rate that was what carried Gattis at Michigan.
A horrible combo. And that’s how you get fired after one year.

guys, souf is right, i'd give my right arm for this guy but honestly, even if we had an opening, he's not coming to pitt as a coordinator, he will have better offers. his resume is great.

What's great about his resume?

He's been a Co-Coordinator everywhere but Miami. At Alabama and Michigan they have clear talent advantage over the majority of teams they play. So far, it looks like he sucks out loud on his own.

The Michigan fans weren't upset to see Moore take over as their full-time OC.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Gattis has been driving a nice newer Porsche but drove it like an 87 VW Scirocco..
i had to google image this to get the analogy.

R.e8639d35bebd11d343820eeff2512366

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
Gattis’ offensive rankings are actually pretty good before Miami.

F+ Offensive Rankings:

‘19: 22
‘20: 36
‘21: 10

2020 wasn’t great. But not horrible. And COVID probably hit the Big 10 and Pac12 the hardest. The other two you probably take that range every year at a school like Michigan.

The problem for Gattis is Michigan was 16th in 2018, the year before he got there.

So he walked into a situation that was looking for something new and dynamic. And his “speed in space” concepts was suppose to be it.

It didn’t really do that. Michigan eventually just reverted back to what Harbaugh was doing before Gattis.

And thanks to Harbaugh being there a while and stacking OL classes, he walked into a situation that was already elevating and was set up to continue having success doing that. Both before and after Gattis (they finished 11th this year in F+ offense).

Then Gattis goes to Miami and tries to implement a lot of what Harbaugh did but it doesn’t work because there aren’t a bunch of stud OL recruiting classes already stacked.

And without that he was kind of exposed. His passing concepts weren’t worth much, just like they weren’t at Michigan and had to be abandoned.

So you end up with the lack of explosiveness that has plagued Michigan under Gattis (and really Harbaugh as well). Without the play to play efficiency run success rate that was what carried Gattis at Michigan.
A horrible combo. And that’s how you get fired after one year.

And he was working for dipshit as HC. Gattis is scapegoat. He ran the offense he was hired to run.

And he was working for dipshit as HC. Gattis is scapegoat. He ran the offense he was hired to run.

Eh.

People pretend like Mario’s offenses have all been horrible.

F+ ranking:

Oregon was:

16th in 2021
23rd in 20.
19th in 19.
41st in 18, his first year.

He had 3 Top 25 offenses in 4 years. Not exactly Will Muschamp type rankings.

I think Gattis probably just doesn’t have much of an offensive identity. He didn’t at Michigan. And didn’t at Miami. And at Miami he was exposed because there wasn’t a Harbaugh or Locksley there doing the heavy lifting.

Reactions: TD_6082
Eh.

People pretend like Mario’s offenses have all been horrible.

F+ ranking:

Oregon was:

16th in 2021
23rd in 20.
19th in 19.
41st in 18, his first year.

He had 3 Top 25 offenses in 4 years. Not exactly Will Muschamp type rankings.

I think Gattis probably just doesn’t have much of an offensive identity. He didn’t at Michigan. And didn’t at Miami. And at Miami he was exposed because there wasn’t a Harbaugh or Locksley there doing the heavy lifting.

Pac-12 defenses can make most any offense look good.

ADVERTISEMENT