ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia Tech Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** This Panther win today wasn’t exactly perfect. But it was actually kinda perfect.

** Today the Panthers needed precisely this type of win to rekindle the notion that they are indeed a solid squad, and a true NCAA Tournament contender. An 11 point ACC road win certainly fits the bill.

** Additionally, it was the Panthers first win ever in Atlanta, which seems a little tough to believe until one recalls that we haven’t actually sported a winning record in this league since the first year we arrived.

** I think I’d be more inclined to call this a perfect Panther victory had we not turned the ball over. But instead we fans had to endure three such mishaps for the entire duration.

** Think about that though. The Panthers turned the ball over just three times. Of course that ties the Panther record. And with the way the Panthers typically move the ball with the dribble, it’s actually pretty difficult to believe.

** During any basketball game, since no team is perfect, there are the things they need to do really well to make up for the things they don’t. And for the second straight game, our Panthers were not very good on the defensive glass.

** Largely because of Tech’s offensive rebounds, they were able to shoot 10 more field goals than the Panthers. Along the same lines, the Yellow Fellows doubled up the Panthers from beyond the arc. More often than not, these are numbers that add up to a loss instead of double digit conference road win.

** Yet, the field goal differential was offset because the Panthers made 17 more free throws than their foes who made, well, none. And the Panthers weren’t perfect from the foul line. But gosh, 85% is pretty close to that.

** Still, I can’t recall a game when a team recorded nary a free throw. That’s probably the more remarkable number than the Panthers' three turnovers.

** And this number is a strong testimonial to the notion that the Panthers played almost perfect interior defense. This was likely the best defensive game the Fede has played as a Panther. It’s worth noting that Georgia Tech doesn’t pose much of a thread in the paint. Still to man, the Panthers did near perfect job of keeping their man in front of them.

** Along the same lines, perhaps as many as four or even five of Tech’s threes were a result of offensive chaos or off of scrambles from offensive rebounds.

** One number which still has me a bit perplexed however is the paltry sum of just five assists for the good guys. I suspect this could have a little to do with an overly stingy statistician. But we should also recognize that only five assists is largely indicative of our style of play which looks to break down defenders off the dribble, or sometimes relies a little too much on straight up jump shots. This concerns me some, but it also didn’t appear that Tech offense moved the ball that much better than we did, and they were credited with 15.

** Fortunately, Nike Sabande hit his share of straight up jump shots. It’s great to see him coming on the way he has of late. He’s averaging 11.7 ppg over his last four while shooting 44.4% from three over the same stretch.

** Nike’s an easy guy to root for because he plays with all of his energy and emotions on his sleeve and his shorts. And he’s been through a lot during his days as a College Basketball player, but he’s stuck around for a long time when he really didn’t have to.

** It certainly would be a nice thing to be able to reward Nike at the end of his career with a trip to the NCAA Tournament. The same can certainly be said as well for Blake, Jarmarius and Nelly who have been through their own career journeys too.

** From this point on, the Panthers definitely don’t need to be perfect to make the NCAA Tournament. Going 8-5 the rest of the way will probably be good enough to do the trick. And more less-than-perfect performances like we got today should be good enough to get us there.

** And at the moment, we sit behind the perfect Clemson Tigers tied for second place in the ACC. It's a pretty nice place to be, and without a doubt, a much better place than we've been for quite a long, long time.

** Additionally, it was the Panthers first win ever in Atlanta, which seems a little tough to believe until one recalls that we haven’t actually sported a winning record in this league since the first year we arrived.

I said this is in the game thread, but I'll repeat it here. People keep saying that. Bill Hillgrove said it at least twice on the post game show after the game today. It is simply not correct. On January 14, 2014, the first time we played Georgia Tech as a member of the ACC, we beat them 81-74 in Atlanta. For whatever reason, it appears that the game was not played at McCamish Pavilion, it was played at the then Phillips Arena (currently the State Farm Arena, the building where the Hawks play).

It was, however, the first time we've ever beaten them at McCamish. 0-5 there before today.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
There have been quite a few people on here wanting change to the offense, the defense, the subs, the plays etc...

We have been successful with what we have been using. In other words, don't try to fix what isn't necessarily broken. We got a double digit road win today, that is what counts.

My concern however is team stamina. 3 Games in a row we look lazy rebounding on the glass with a lot more watching and a lot less attacking the boards, especially on the defensive end. This team needs to find another gear on the glass to finish the season off. We have been better on defense though which is in the numbers the last few games. That in itself is encouraging.

Outside of that, good win, and keep moving forward.

I said this is in the game thread, but I'll repeat it here. People keep saying that. Bill Hillgrove said it at least twice on the post game show after the game today. It is simply not correct. On January 14, 2014, the first time we played Georgia Tech as a member of the ACC, we beat them 81-74 in Atlanta. For whatever reason, it appears that the game was not played at McCamish Pavilion, it was played at the then Phillips Arena (currently the State Farm Arena, the building where the Hawks play).

It was, however, the first time we've ever beaten them at McCamish. 0-5 there before today.

That was indeed where I heard it (I did say it was a little tough to believe LOL). Still, I included this piece of info (now shown to be wrong) because it was a reminder of how bad we have been in the ACC following our first year when we went 11-7.

Our records since then were 8-10, 9-9, 4-14, 0-18, 3-15, 6-14, 6-10, and 6-14.

In the ACC tournament after year one, we are 4-8 which is also a pretty sad record knowing we we've been a very low seed during that entire time.

Last edited:
That was indeed were I heard it (I did say it was a little tough to believe LOL). Still, I included this piece of info (now shown to be wrong) because it was a reminder of how bad we have been in the ACC following our first year when we went 11-7.

Our records since then were 8-10, 9-9, 4-14, 0-18, 3-15, 6-14, 6-10, and 6-14.

In the ACC tournament after year one, we are 4-8 which is also a pretty sad record knowing we we've been a very low seed during that entire time.

FWIW (not a whole lot), the Pitt media guide says that game was at Phillips. I just looked at the Georgia Tech media guide and it makes no mention of that game (or any others they played that season) being played at Phillips (they did play games there in other seasons). The way they have it listed I assume the game was at McCamish.

ESPN also thinks the game was at McCamish

Looking at the box score from the ESPN link, Talib Zanna with 22 and 9, James Robinson with 16 and 3, plus 5 assists to only 1 turnover and 4 steals.

And then there was Lamar Patterson. 12 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 7 turnovers. Wow.

Reactions: jpklein and jctrack
FWIW (not a whole lot), the Pitt media guide says that game was at Phillips. I just looked at the Georgia Tech media guide and it makes no mention of that game (or any others they played that season) being played at Phillips (they did play games there in other seasons). The way they have it listed I assume the game was at McCamish.

ESPN also thinks the game was at McCamish

The game was at McCamish. I remember this game. 9PM weeknight, Len Elmore doing the play by play. Frustrating game to watch because GT stuck around the whole game.

What I always find interesting about GT is that they always seem to have good crowds relative to how poor the program has been. They have an NBA team across town and you'd think they'd get lost in the pro sports scene down there. Speaking of crowds, surprised Syracuse packed it out today like it was a Top 15 2005 game vs ND. And Louisville's crowds have been great all year. If you turn them on, you would have no idea they are one of the worst ACC teams in history. The crowds are fairly large and they are supportive.

I had a lot of projects and stuff going on today, so the best I could do is watch the highlights on YouTubeTV. What I saw looked quite good, and the result being an 11 point win on the road is exemplary. The team can't let down vs Louisville. That's always been a tough place to play but clearly, the Cards are having a tough go of it this year. 9-4 down the stretch and at least one win in the ACCT should get us into the dance. I'd take Dayton right now; no questions asked!

I don't see us missing the NCAAT at 14-6 in ACC. Would certainly be sweating it out if we lost to a bad team in our first ACCT game, but unless there are a bunch of conference tournament bid stealers, it would likely still be enough IMO.

Hope VCU continues playing well in the A-10 and that NW and Michigan can stay in the middle of the Big Ten pack.

WVU's schedule is insane. It's great for college basketball fans, but who the hell thought scheduling the Big 12 / SEC Challenge in late January was a good idea? Both of those conferences already have meat grinder in-conference schedules every game.

** This Panther win today wasn’t exactly perfect. But it was actually kinda perfect.

** Today the Panthers needed precisely this type of win to rekindle the notion that they are indeed a solid squad, and a true NCAA Tournament contender. An 11 point ACC road win certainly fits the bill.

** I think I’d be more inclined to call this a perfect Panther victory had we not turned the ball over. But instead we fans had to endure three such mishaps for the entire duration.

** Think about that though. The Panthers turned the ball over just three times. Of course that ties the Panther record. And with the way the Panthers typically move the ball with the dribble, it’s actually pretty difficult to believe.

** During any basketball game, since no team is perfect, there are the things they need to do really well to make up for the things they don’t. And for the second straight game, our Panthers were not very good on the defensive glass.

** Largely because of Tech’s offensive rebounds, they were able to shoot 10 more field goals than the Panthers. Along the same lines, the Yellow Fellows doubled up the Panthers from beyond the arc. More often than not, these are numbers that add up to a loss instead of double digit conference road win.

** Yet, the field goal differential was offset because the Panthers made 17 more free throws than their foes who made, well, none. And the Panthers weren’t perfect from the foul line. But gosh, 85% is pretty close to that.

** Still, I can’t recall a game when a team recorded nary a free throw. That’s probably the more remarkable number than the Panthers' three turnovers.

** And this number is a strong testimonial to the notion that the Panthers played almost perfect interior defense. This was likely the best defensive game the Fede has played as a Panther. It’s worth noting that Georgia Tech doesn’t pose much of a thread in the paint. Still to man, the Panthers did near perfect job of keeping their man in front of them.

** Along the same lines, perhaps as many as four or even five of Tech’s threes were a result of offensive chaos or off of scrambles from offensive rebounds.

** One number which still has me a bit perplexed however is the paltry sum of just five assists for the good guys. I suspect this could have a little to do with an overly stingy statistician. But we should also recognize that only five assists is largely indicative of our style of play which looks to break down defenders off the dribble, or sometimes relies a little too much on straight up jump shots. This concerns me some, but it also didn’t appear that Tech offense moved the ball that much better than we did, and they were credited with 15.

** Fortunately, Nike Sabande hit his share of straight up jump shots. It’s great to see him coming on the way he has of late. He’s averaging 11.7 ppg over his last four while shooting 44.4% from three over the same stretch.

** Nike’s an easy guy to root for because he plays with all of his energy and emotions on his sleeve and his shorts. And he’s been through a lot during his days as a College Basketball player, but he’s stuck around for a long time when he really didn’t have to.

** It certainly would be a nice thing to be able to reward Nike at the end of his career with a trip to the NCAA Tournament. The same can certainly be said as well for Blake, Jarmarius and Nelly who have been through their own career journeys too.

** From this point on, the Panthers definitely don’t need to be perfect to make the NCAA Tournament. Going 8-5 the rest of the way will probably be good enough to do the trick. And more less-than-perfect performances like we got today should be good enough to get us there.

** And at the moment, we sit behind the perfect Clemson Tigers tied for second place in the ACC. It's a pretty nice place to be, and without a doubt, a much better place than we've been for quite a long, long time.
No mention of Santos? His shot obviously isn't falling but he has played some damn good defense when he's been called upon the past 2 games.

Perhaps at that point, we were considered important enough to play at the bigger arena :). Like the old civic arena games.

I had a lot of projects and stuff going on today, so the best I could do is watch the highlights on YouTubeTV. What I saw looked quite good, and the result being an 11 point win on the road is exemplary. The team can't let down vs Louisville. That's always been a tough place to play but clearly, the Cards are having a tough go of it this year. 9-4 down the stretch and at least one win in the ACCT should get us into the dance. I'd take Dayton right now; no questions asked!

I always got a bad feeling at Louisville, even when we were good. But we need to thrash this current team.

Reactions: jctrack
There have been quite a few people on here wanting change to the offense, the defense, the subs, the plays etc...

We have been successful with what we have been using. In other words, don't try to fix what isn't necessarily broken. We got a double digit road win today, that is what counts.
Not so fast, Vader. What
"some" of us on here do
is take a different look at
some things Capel may be
doing on offense or on D.
That doesn't mean that we
want to change everything
and that we don't appreciate
wins.

Here's an example. I've been
criticizing Capel's offensive
approach and strategy
against zones for years.
Yesterday Burton (who
played well), dribble
penetrated and was able
to score. It worked only
because GT is bad talent
wise and their zone stunk.
Point being..this will hurt
us in the furure.

This IS a message board, and
there is a place for different
viewpoints while still liking the
wins and the good Capel is
now doing.

No mention of Santos? His shot obviously isn't falling but he has played some damn good defense when he's been called upon the past 2 games.
-I like Capel working Nate into the rotation. He does the little things we need well. I just cringe when he shoots.

- Fede did play really solid post defense. He just held his ground with hands up and tortured GT players trying to shoot over him. He is doing it without fouling, which is huge. He needs to get stronger and finish his opportunities at the other end.

- I worry about Hinson wearing down. We need him. I notice when his shot is off, he always leaves it short. Could it be fatigue??

- Overall, a solid win on the road. I do worry about what DT posted above?? Can we sustain what we are doing as a dribble drive and jump shooting team?? We may win our share against weak teams, but, against the better teams it spells trouble. It may be time for Capel to break out film of our ball movement in the Northwestern game. This team is at its best when we are passing and moving without the ball.

I always got a bad feeling at Louisville, even when we were good. But we need to thrash this current team.

Not sure we've won at Louisville since the 2006 Sunday afternoon that was on the same time as the Steelers/Colts playoff game. How was that 17 years ago? I can kinda remember winning a Big Monday game down there when they had Montrezl Harrell.

Not sure we've won at Louisville since the 2006 Sunday afternoon that was on the same time as the Steelers/Colts playoff game. How was that 17 years ago? I can kinda remember winning a Big Monday game down there when they had Montrezl Harrell.
Yep -2006

Reactions: Drew1208
I don't see us missing the NCAAT at 14-6 in ACC. Would certainly be sweating it out if we lost to a bad team in our first ACCT game, but unless there are a bunch of conference tournament bid stealers, it would likely still be enough IMO.

Hope VCU continues playing well in the A-10 and that NW and Michigan can stay in the middle of the Big Ten pack.

WVU's schedule is insane. It's great for college basketball fans, but who the hell thought scheduling the Big 12 / SEC Challenge in late January was a good idea? Both of those conferences already have meat grinder in-conference schedules every game.
Crazy to think 13-7 in the ACC would be iffy, but as mentioned in some other recent threads, that record got Wake a 2 seed in the NIT last year (weak OOC schedule & one and done to a bad BC team in the ACCT did them in).

Since you mentioned WVU, the computers still love them even with their 0-5 conference record. Still 24 in KenPom and 30 in NET. Mostly a testament to their schedule I figure.

Reactions: FireballZ
-I like Capel working Nate into the rotation. He does the little things we need well. I just cringe when he shoots.

- Fede did play really solid post defense. He just held his ground with hands up and tortured GT players trying to shoot over him. He is doing it without fouling, which is huge. He needs to get stronger and finish his opportunities at the other end.

- I worry about Hinson wearing down. We need him. I notice when his shot is off, he always leaves it short. Could it be fatigue??

- Overall, a solid win on the road. I do worry about what DT posted above?? Can we sustain what we are doing as a dribble drive and jump shooting team?? We may win our share against weak teams, but, against the better teams it spells trouble. It may be time for Capel to break out film of our ball movement in the Northwestern game. This team is at its best when we are passing and moving without the ball.
Hinson is 8-15 on free throws in the last 3 games, and my memory is that all of his misses are short. His 4 misses against Clemson really hurt.

Crazy to think 13-7 in the ACC would be iffy, but as mentioned in some other recent threads, that record got Wake a 2 seed in the NIT last year (weak OOC schedule & one and done to a bad BC team in the ACCT did them in).

Since you mentioned WVU, the computers still love them even with their 0-5 conference record. Still 24 in KenPom and 30 in NET. Mostly a testament to their schedule I figure.

Forget the computers. The eye test tells me they aren't very good at all. I watched their game against OU and they are a marginal middle of the pack team with a 0.500 record at the end of the year. I'd love to play them today at The Pete. The result would be different than earlier in the year and heavily in our favor.

Missed the game while traveling to visit some family
Thanks for the recap
It’s a good road win to stop the slide
Let’s get another in Louisville !

Yet, the defensive rebounding has stunk the past 2 games. I get that it's not all on Fede, but there was at least one play where he was totally abused by a GT player who practically went over his head for a putback. And I noticed a lot of swatting at rebounds, even under our own basket. Fede has been a nice surprise, but I'd like to see him man up more on the boards.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Yep -2006
Remember it vividly. Friends were having a Steeler watch party. I told my wife to go to the party for the start of the Steeler game and tell them I’d be over after the Pitt basketball game.

None of them are Pitt basketball fans, so I got some very weird looks when I walked in, in the middle of the Steeler game. But at least I was happy because the Panthers won!

That game was at Freedom Hall wasn’t it?

-I like Capel working Nate into the rotation. He does the little things we need well. I just cring even thoughe when he shoots.

I feel like you read my mid,
with your post. I agree
about Santos even though
I've been critical about his
awful shooting. He' has very
good form and technique,
but cant hit. As you said,
he's helping on D, and also
rebounds. Fede and your
comments on Hinson are
right on target IMO.

Yes, a "solid road win" but
GT is really bad. The "dribble
drive" you mentioned will
not work against any normal
good zone. That Northwestern
game was textbook passing
by us. Where was it yesteray?

Last edited:
I feel like you read my mid,
with your post. I agree
about Santos even though
I've been critical about his
awful shooting. He' has very
good form and technique,
but cant hit. As you said,
he's helping on D, and also
rebounds. Fede and your
comments on Hinson are
right on target IMO.

Yes, a "solid road win" but
GT is really bad. The "dribble
drive" you mentioned will
not work against any normal
good zone. That Northwestern
game was textbook passing
by us. Where was it yesteray?
What did we do at the dome vs the Cuse zone to score over 80? Was the approach different than yesterday’s?

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty

Tech having 10 more shots than us is not due only to their 2nd chance points, but also because we put shot them 20-3 at the line. That, makes up for the offensive rebounds in my mind.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty

McCammish was being refurbed at one time, I think that is why we played in Phillips.

What did we do at the dome vs the Cuse zone to score over 80? Was the approach different than yesterday’s?
Man am I glad you asked.
We did A LOT different in
that game. We hit threes
13-32 (40.6%), Fg's we were
29-60 (46.7%). Hinson had
25 pts, Cummings 22, and
Elliott 12.
But here's the big point IMO
Burton only had 9 pts. but he
had 7 assist (v. good) but he
also had 5 TO's. He was not
able to dribble drive against
that zone. BTW against a
zone you're not supposed
to be able to do that. GT's
zone as I said above stunk.
What Burton was able to do
for 19 pts. against a zone
should not happen. But
then again, Cuse as you
know specializes in zone D.

We didn'r rely on Burton's
specialty.....his one on one
drible drive. We worked the
ball and got good looks. Hell,
even Diaz hit a three, and
went for 9 pts. Go back and
look at the highlights and
Im sure you'll see it.

Against Northwestern we
worked the ball even better
with good quick passes. We
played textbook ball on the
offensive end in that game.

The way we have been running our offense all year is mainly dribble drive and passing and moving to find good shots. That will keep working as long as Hinson can be more consistent and we aren’t playing too much one on one ball.

The way we have been running our offense all year is mainly dribble drive and passing and moving to find good shots. That will keep working as long as Hinson can be more consistent and we aren’t playing too much one on one ball.
With little scoring threat from the 5 spot, that’s pretty much the way it’s going to have to be.

I think we can set some back screens and score on some back door cuts when these guys extend and play us tight. Other than that, we are playing to our strength, which is letting our bigger stronger guys like JB and Nike drive their man and create. It is the best option considering we don't have a low post guy who can challenge a defense by scoring or drawing fouls. I think Capel is doing a pretty good job letting these guys play to their strengths. I think he is getting the best out of these guys and it is hard to complain when they are turning the ball over at a historically low rate.

Reactions: Drew1208
Yeah but that’s ok. Most teams now a days don’t get a lot of scoring from their 5
No question. That’s today‘s game. 4 or 5 out. Space the floor and spread the D. Create room for drivers. Don’t clog the lane. Kick out for 3’s.

So no surprise that Pitt is playing that way.

Reactions: rockypanther
No question. That’s today‘s game. 4 or 5 out. Space the floor and spread the D. Create room for drivers. Don’t clog the lane. Kick out for 3’s.

So no surprise that Pitt is playing that way.
Yeah. I started a thread about what we are specifically doing with our offense. It is so much more than the traditional 5 out. The old 5 out is easy to defend. I have to give Capel a lot of credit for using these new offensive systems

Yeah. I started a thread about what we are specifically doing with our offense. It is so much more than the traditional 5 out. The old 5 out is easy to defend. I have to give Capel a lot of credit for using these new offensive systems
There have been - maybe still are? - posters who have claimed Capel doesn’t coach any offensive system. LOL!!!!

Coaches coach. But the players have to execute.

Tech having 10 more shots than us is not due only to their 2nd chance points, but also because we put shot them 20-3 at the line. That, makes up for the offensive rebounds in my mind.
Right ... that's basically what I also said in my very next paragraph, but I can't blame you for not reading all of my way-too-many words. LOL!

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
There have been - maybe still are? - posters who have claimed Capel doesn’t coach any offensive system. LOL!!!!

Coaches coach. But the players have to execute.
I was one of those. I don’t think he ran many offensive sets until last year when he ran a lot of Horns which I think is a terrible offense. This years offensive sets work so well because Fede can screen, we have outside shooters, and mid range threat in Burton.

I was one of those. I don’t think he ran many offensive sets until last year when he ran a lot of Horns which I think is a terrible offense. This years offensive sets work so well because Fede can screen, we have outside shooters, and mid range threat in Burton.
Always need the right players to get done what a coach wants.

Capel‘s biggest issues here have been around his rosters, IMO. Not so much his coaching.

THAT is also on him. The HC is absolutely responsible for the acquisition of talent and roster make up. The lack of experienced players - especially at the guard spot - had been a big hindrance.

Last year, Femi Odukale was NOT an ACC caliber PG. Nike was out all year. Horton missed time and then underperformed. Burton was basically on his own. This year he has some help.

Now it’s on Capel to keep it going. And not let the talent level backslide. He’s losing 4 G’s after this season. So he’ll have a challenge that he’ll have to overcome.

Having real offensive talent makes a difference. We haven't had that here for sometime. It's fun to watch guys who have ability.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT