went for 9 pts. Go back and
look at the highlights and
Im sure you'll see it.

Against Northwestern we
worked the ball even better
with good quick passes. We
played textbook ball on the
offensive end in that game.
I'm right there with you on the zone issue. I think it cost us big time in the last 2 minutes vs Clemson. I cringe every time I see them run down the shot clock and call for high ball screens against the zone. Seems like having Hinson flash the the foul line and getting that pass into him is the best option. Also like to see Jorge in that spot cause of his instincts. Has to be someone who is somewhat comfortable with getting passes with back to the basket and someone who has good fundamentals with footwork, pivoting and passing.

Reactions: FireballZ
Always need the right players to get done what a coach wants.

Capel‘s biggest issues here have been around his rosters, IMO. Not so much his coaching.

THAT is also on him. The HC is absolutely responsible for the acquisition of talent and roster make up. The lack of experienced players - especially at the guard spot - had been a big hindrance.

Last year, Femi Odukale was NOT an ACC caliber PG. Nike was out all year. Horton missed time and then underperformed. Burton was basically on his own. This year he has some help.

Now it’s on Capel to keep it going. And not let the talent level backslide. He’s losing 4 G’s after this season. So he’ll have a challenge that he’ll have to overcome.

I agree with this. I think its been not having good enough talent overall, lack of experienced players, lack of shooters, lack of a true leader in the locker room on the team, etc..

This program was in a giant hole when Stallings left. But, lets also remember, the facilities needed a lot of work too since Stallings left when Capel got here. Everything in general needed a lot of work.

Then Capel had to try to recruit players here without even being allowed to have them on campus while the program was still in shambles which was a hard task because a lot of people really have no idea what Pittsburgh is all about until actually getting in the City itself. Then the transfer rules changed. Then Nil changed the recruiting game. I mean, a ton of stuff has happened over the course of the last 5 years both at Pitt and in college basketball in general.

We have reached the tipping point here. Because right now, we have a team that is winning, we have a good recruiting class, the facilities are better, we have talent returning to next years team, and we are getting pieces back next year that aren't even playing this year. Its hard to believe that we only have 9 players eligible to play right now and we are in a position to make the NCAA Tournament this year.

If Capel is our future coach for the foreseeable future, he has to capitalize on the real momentum that we now have. We have wins, we have good recruits coming in with 2023 and 2024, and we have talent coming back next year. I said this in another thread. Capel needs to close this season strong and then there are no excuses to bringing talent here, we currently have the momentum going for us to get this program going again.

Reactions: rockypanther
I agree with this. I think its been not having good enough talent overall, lack of experienced players, lack of shooters, lack of a true leader in the locker room on the team, etc..

This program was in a giant hole when Stallings left. But, lets also remember, the facilities needed a lot of work too since Stallings left when Capel got here. Everything in general needed a lot of work.

Then Capel had to try to recruit players here without even being allowed to have them on campus while the program was still in shambles which was a hard task because a lot of people really have no idea what Pittsburgh is all about until actually getting in the City itself. Then the transfer rules changed. Then Nil changed the recruiting game. I mean, a ton of stuff has happened over the course of the last 5 years both at Pitt and in college basketball in general.

We have reached the tipping point here. Because right now, we have a team that is winning, we have a good recruiting class, the facilities are better, we have talent returning to next years team, and we are getting pieces back next year that aren't even playing this year. Its hard to believe that we only have 9 players eligible to play right now and we are in a position to make the NCAA Tournament this year.

If Capel is our future coach for the foreseeable future, he has to capitalize on the real momentum that we now have. We have wins, we have good recruits coming in with 2023 and 2024, and we have talent coming back next year. I said this in another thread. Capel needs to close this season strong and then there are no excuses to bringing talent here, we currently have the momentum going for us to get this program going again.
His main best players are all pretty old compared to many teams. So he hasn’t had to develop them from as young of an age as he will with the incoming freshman he will have next year. I am curious to see him develop younger talent and of course supplement them with transfers. But so far Capel hasn’t shown he can take a high school recruit as a freshman and develop him. Many examples where they just left or something happened.

His main best players are all pretty old compared to many teams. So he hasn’t had to develop them from as young of an age as he will with the incoming freshman he will have next year. I am curious to see him develop younger talent and of course supplement them with transfers. But so far Capel hasn’t shown he can take a high school recruit as a freshman and develop him. Many examples where they just left or something happened.
Champagnie?

Remember it vividly. Friends were having a Steeler watch party. I told my wife to go to the party for the start of the Steeler game and tell them I’d be over after the Pitt basketball game.

None of them are Pitt basketball fans, so I got some very weird looks when I walked in, in the middle of the Steeler game. But at least I was happy because the Panthers won!

That game was at Freedom Hall wasn’t it?
I did the same thing. LOL. Couldn't care less if the Steelers won that day.

Tech having 10 more shots than us is not due only to their 2nd chance points, but also because we put shot them 20-3 at the line. That, makes up for the offensive rebounds in my mind.
Yep. Can't record shot attempts with a foul call.

One player.
Well the definition of developing a player has changed. You don't get players for 4-5 years anymore. You have 2 or maybe 3 at the most if you're lucky. Due to the portal and now online courses where a kid can easily graduate in 3 years and grad transfer. You really have to judge a coaches ability develop from year one to year two which is really not a fair barometer.

Reactions: rockypanther
Well the definition of developing a player has changed. You don't get players for 4-5 years anymore. You have 2 or maybe 3 at the most if you're lucky. Due to the portal and now online courses where a kid can easily graduate in 3 years and grad transfer. You really have to judge a coaches ability develop from year one to year two which is really not a fair barometer.
And it’s tough because I like more so than ever big men skills are not developed pre college anyway. They could probably just erase the block. Nobody uses it much any more.

Reactions: FrogmoreZeke
True. Same holds true in FB now. Makes redshirting problematic in many cases.

Right ... that's basically what I also said in my very next paragraph, but I can't blame you for not reading all of my way-too-many words. LOL!
I answered before reading the rest.

I always complete the Dribbles!

I did the same thing. LOL. Couldn't care less if the Steelers won that day.

We had some memorable losses there. We were #1 when they beat us in a huge Saturday night game. Then a few years later, there was the Male Cheerleader Game when that guy got a T that afforded us a chance at the end. Still cant believe its been 17 years. That honestly has to be one of the most random, unbelievable steaks in college basketball.

Always need the right players to get done what a coach wants.

Capel‘s biggest issues here have been around his rosters, IMO. Not so much his coaching.

THAT is also on him. The HC is absolutely responsible for the acquisition of talent and roster make up. The lack of experienced players - especially at the guard spot - had been a big hindrance.

Last year, Femi Odukale was NOT an ACC caliber PG. Nike was out all year. Horton missed time and then underperformed. Burton was basically on his own. This year he has some help.

Now it’s on Capel to keep it going. And not let the talent level backslide. He’s losing 4 G’s after this season. So he’ll have a challenge that he’ll have to overcome.
The biggest thing that all very successful coaches have is talented players and in college recruiting that talent is not only the most important part of the job it’s the hardest . Those thinking Pitt is an easy place to recruit too is mistaken and the fact that Pitt hasn’t been able to convince any big time coaches to come here it says it all . Just look at the coaches Pitts has hired recently . Who was Ben Howland before Pitt , Northern Arizona HC really , then having to hire JD because no one else wanted the job when Howland left , next up was the great KS fiasco and then Hurly toyed with Pitt and turned down more money to go to Conn . Heather found JC when the search was looking embarrassing inept . It’s not the money that’s hindered Pitt in hiring a great coach , great coaches realize there’s better places to go to that are easier to win ( recruit) at .

To me it looks like JC has finally found his footing in recruiting high school talent and it’s taken him 5 yrs , now he needs to add a few portal pieces to the mix next yr . Pitts program is on the upswing . Looks like Heathers patience ( or reluctance to buy him out ) will pay off because the rest of us had him fired !

The biggest thing that all very successful coaches have is talented players and in college recruiting that talent is not only the most important part of the job it’s the hardest . Those thinking Pitt is an easy place to recruit too is mistaken and the fact that Pitt hasn’t been able to convince any big time coaches to come here it says it all . Just look at the coaches Pitts has hired recently . Who was Ben Howland before Pitt , Northern Arizona HC really , then having to hire JD because no one else wanted the job when Howland left , next up was the great KS fiasco and then Hurly toyed with Pitt and turned down more money to go to Conn . Heather found JC when the search was looking embarrassing inept . It’s not the money that’s hindered Pitt in hiring a great coach , great coaches realize there’s better places to go to that are easier to win ( recruit) at .

To me it looks like JC has finally found his footing in recruiting high school talent and it’s taken him 5 yrs , now he needs to add a few portal pieces to the mix next yr . Pitts program is on the upswing . Looks like Heathers patience ( or reluctance to buy him out ) will pay off because the rest of us had him fired !
Pitt’s lack of NCAAT success when opportunities presented themself in the Big East days was a factor. Then the change to the ACC, where Pitt was an unknown brand, in a league playing generally a different style and attracting players from non-typical recruiting territories, also played a part.

Then along came Barnes. He completely demolished what was left after JD. So Pitt was left to start from scratch with a lethargic, older HC in KS and not much recruiting cachet.

There are indications that Jeff Capel is maybe turning things around. Finally. On the court and in recruiting. But it’s still TBD. Agree with you that Pitt can be a tough place to recruit to. Rust Belt city. Not a great tradition or basketball pedigree, especially in comparison to several of the ACC old guard elite. Or even to newer ACC programs like ‘Cuse or Louisville that had NCAAT championships to their credit.

Being able to get recruits on campus here again to see the facilities and the city is huge. Pitt is also a GREAT school. Winning and the positive exposure it brings is also critical. HCJC is articulate, intelligent and plays the type of game lots of guys want to play. Making the post season and having some success there would be the biggest thing.

If they can do that, with the Portal now being available as a tool to make quick upgrades possible, Pitt has a chance to get this turned around. Have to see if they can do it?

Who can blame you for not doing so ... we need @NTOP to bring back the Cliff Notes.
I may just do that, just for sh4ts & giggles. Right now I'm in my daughters home in Flagstaff....surrounded by 4 feet of heavy snow. We haven't been able to get to our hotel for 3 days...thankful for good laundry gear....but the big deal is all the time with our 1 month old grandson. He already knows the Victory Song & HTP.
Gotta slide down from this mountain to catch a plane in Phoenix Friday afternoon. We caught the GT game, will see the Lousyville cast tomorrow.
There's a lot of reasons to watch these days. Nelly is a tough little guy, just too many fouls. He and Burton are a solid backcourt. Fun !
Finally, my son-in-law has admitted that he was wrong about Pickett.
Oooops...I'm approaching Dribbles weight......later!

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn

Howland was a giftwrapped Adidas guy. And I doubt no one wanted the job when Ben left. We were really getting good players like Gray/ Kendall/Troutman/Krauser, etc. We had an interim A.D., so Nordie made the deal after a couple of the players approach him on the street. Best hire of that era. FB was a mess.

Howland was a giftwrapped Adidas guy. And I doubt no one wanted the job when Ben left. We were really getting good players like Gray/ Kendall/Troutman/Krauser, etc. We had an interim A.D., so Nordie made the deal after a couple of the players approach him on the street. Best hire of that era. FB was a mess.
They reluctantly gave JD the job after the players lobbied for him after Skip Prosser turned them down . Was the best thing that has ever happened coaching wise for Pitt . ( well maybe Johnny Majors 1 was better ! )

Sonny Varacco found Howland for Pitt , but the reaction was Ben Who from where !

They reluctantly gave JD the job after the players lobbied for him after Skip Prosser turned them down . Was the best thing that has ever happened coaching wise for Pitt . ( well maybe Johnny Majors 1 was better ! )

Sonny Varacco found Howland for Pitt , but the reaction was Ben Who from where !
It was my reaction
The irony was he came in as “recruit to shoot “ and won with bully ball

No disagreement- but certainly I wasn’t here or elsewhere online when we hired coach from northern Arizona who said “ slam dunk !”

I was ... started frequenting the Pitt message boards when Willard was still around! (although I shouldn't be proud of this I think)

I was ... started frequenting the Pitt message boards when Willard was still around! (although I shouldn't be proud of this I think)
I’ll defer then
I was excited about the shooting concept
But more excited about winning games

And it’s tough because I like more so than ever big men skills are not developed pre college anyway. They could probably just erase the block. Nobody uses it much any more.
I honestly don’t see the point in taking big men out of HS unless they’re elite (top 50) talents. Most end up not contributing much for two years, and a decent amount never end up contributing much of anything. The hit rate isn’t that high and they usually clog up a roster spot for two years. Now that you can go get developed, proven, and old big men who can contribute right away, I don’t see the point in taking one out of HS.

I honestly don’t see the point in taking big men out of HS unless they’re elite (top 50) talents. Most end up not contributing much for two years, and a decent amount never end up contributing much of anything. The hit rate isn’t that high and they usually clog up a roster spot for two years. Now that you can go get developed, proven, and old big men who can contribute right away, I don’t see the point in taking one out of HS.
That’s why you have 13 scholarships .

Unless home grown like Blair or a gift like Adams Pitts not in the game of getting elite big men who make instantly become impactful as freshman . Being patient worked very well with fellows like Grey , Zanna and McGhee

SP claimed he saw him in a game for NAU. Doubt it. I'm currently snow plowed in about 4 miles from their campus. When Ben & Jamie got there, there was 5000 students. Now around 30K, I think. Prosser was doing quite well at WF can't blame him for staying. At least Pitt tried to get a proven winner...who died shortly after that. This with no AD. Majors walked into a destroyed FB program and delivered a Natty. As big a turnaround I've ever seen.

SP claimed he saw him in a game for NAU. Doubt it. I'm currently snow plowed in about 4 miles from their campus. When Ben & Jamie got there, there was 5000 students. Now around 30K, I think. Prosser was doing quite well at WF can't blame him for staying. At least Pitt tried to get a proven winner...who died shortly after that. This with no AD. Majors walked into a destroyed FB program and delivered a Natty. As big a turnaround I've ever seen.
There were no limits on the number of recruits back then , I believe they brought in 100+ players and most importantly a guy who wore #33 . Great things were about to happen !

TD was without a doubt the greatest college Fb player I ever saw play .

There were no limits on the number of recruits back then , I believe they brought in 100+ players and most importantly a guy who wore #33 . Great things were about to happen !

TD was without a doubt the greatest college Fb player I ever saw play .
Nowhere near 100....I think 69 was the count. (Possibly because some kids, regardless of the open door, couldn't get admitted.) That was the LAST year to do that, it was Johnnie's only shot. 85/25.

ADVERTISEMENT