ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia Tech Lands a 5-star

What do I say? Identify a few high level players per class and pay them big money. The 3 star dudes.........everyone is a 3 star, complete lottery tickets and most will transfer anyway. Pay some 4 and 5 stars. Or dont and use it for hoops.

Well a 5-star offensive linemen would probably be the worst possible investment under that logic. Expensive and not likely to contribute for a year or two.

Plus, isn't that what Pitt has basically been for 25 mostly mediocre years? Big time talent (Fitzgerald, Revis, Donald, McCoy, etc.) surrounded by too much low end talent for it to matter much.

Well a 5-star offensive linemen would probably be the worst possible investment under that logic. Expensive and not likely to contribute for a year or two.

Plus, isn't that what Pitt has basically been for 25 mostly mediocre years? Big time talent (Fitzgerald, Revis, Donald, McCoy, etc.) surrounded by too much low end talent for it to matter much.

You make excellent points.....but we had some 8-4's and 9-3's with those teams.

I think this is our only chance though unless you luck out. Like maybe Yarnell suddenly becomes a 1st Rounder or something and maybe more than any position, you see obscure QB recruits become 1st Rounders. You need luck or you need to pay.

Especially one that is 265 lbs ... he is gonna have to bulk up, he isn't even big enough to play tackle at the FCS level right now. Will probably have to be in the program at least 1 year before he sees the field.

It's a horrible spot to invest the money for a team like Pitt or GT.

Yeah, if you are going to pay that kind of money for a lineman, pay one who maybe had a pretty good freshman year and is looking to transfer. A guy where you have a much better idea what you are going to end up with, and who you can be reasonably sure will be a contributor all three years that you are paying him.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

It would be a better idea if he had played elsewhere for at least a season or two so he was at least ready to contribute this season.

... and if he was a QB. But I digress on that one.

That said, some of these deals aren't just unwisely spending from a limited fund (which is how this looks from the outside). Sometimes the donor earmarks the money for a specific player(s). That was supposedly the case with Bub Carrington. Someone was going to cover his NIL price if he came back, but that money wasn't going to be available for anyone else if he didn't.

No idea if that was the case here or not. I could just see some GT alum who is tired of losing local recruits doing that in this case.

So What.

In the last 4 years, Pitt has had 17 players drafted by the NFL (7 Rounds). If Pitt could have added WR Addison who won the Bilitnikoff while playing at Pitt it would have been 18. Almost all of those players were Rival 3-Star.

By comparison GT has had 5 players drafted by the NFL (7 Rounds) in the last 4 years.

Florida State recruits many Rival 5/4 Star players but in the last 4 years FSU have only had 16 players drafted by the NFL (7 Rounds).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

It would be a better idea if he had played elsewhere for at least a season or two so he was at least ready to contribute this season.

... and if he was a QB. But I digress on that one.

That said, some of these deals aren't just unwisely spending from a limited fund (which is how this looks from the outside). Sometimes the donor earmarks the money for a specific player(s). That was supposedly the case with Bub Carrington. Someone was going to cover his NIL price if he came back, but that money wasn't going to be available for anyone else if he didn't.

No idea if that was the case here or not. I could just see some GT alum who is tired of losing local recruits doing that in this case.
^^ This

Yeah, if you are going to pay that kind of money for a lineman, pay one who maybe had a pretty good freshman year and is looking to transfer. A guy where you have a much better idea what you are going to end up with, and who you can be reasonably sure will be a contributor all three years that you are paying him.

The problem is those guys aren’t in the portal, and are already getting paid that.

OT and DT (and probably DE to a somewhat lesser degree). You can’t look to the portal to get high end talent at those positions. It just isn’t there.

I did a breakdown of OL when CBS released its Top 100 players for the 2024 Season.

Almost all had very high rankings coming out of high school.
And the only transfer was the kid from Bama that went to OSU after Saban retired.

You either get them out of high school or you don’t get them.

Last edited:
Reactions: singregardless
so he's going to make 800k redshirting and hanging out in the weight room and by this time next year, looking for more money from a blue blood.

so he's going to make 800k redshirting and hanging out in the weight room and by this time next year, looking for more money from a blue blood.

To the extent that the terms of that are even real (and I have serious doubts, as most of these NIL deals aren't so publicly accessible), I would be upset if I pledged that kind of coin to any T who ended up being less than someone like an Orlando Pace. Like, Dorian Johnson was a 5-star hit, but I don't know that I would call him an $800k hit (I realize he also moved to G).

Last edited:

I disagree. Assuming this kid is really good right away, I think its a great spot to invest in.

I think Pitt should identify 5 positions wher3 they can pay blue blood money. What would those be? For me its:

1 QB
2 WR
3 OL
4 DL
5 OL

I disagree. Assuming this kid is really good right away, I think its a great spot to invest in.

I think Pitt should identify 5 positions wher3 they can pay blue blood money. What would those be? For me its:

1 QB
2 WR
3 OL
4 DL
5 OL
i dont think we are saying its the position so much as it is investing that into a high school recruit at the OL position. WIth the Transfer portal and basically zero restrictions anymore, probably a long shot this kid is at Ga Tech for 4-5 years.

Better off going after an older and proven college Tackle in the portal than investing 800k in a high school kid who probably wont be ready to even compete in the ACC for a year or two..

It's like ohio state paying that ewers kid as a 17 year old to come play at columbus. great, you paid him to redshirt and texas got him a year later with a season of experience under his belt, all on OSU's payroll.

of course it's ohio state and they have 10 other blue chips ready to go so they'll live but same point..

i dont think we are saying its the position so much as it is investing that into a high school recruit at the OL position. WIth the Transfer portal and basically zero restrictions anymore, probably a long shot this kid is at Ga Tech for 4-5 years.

Better off going after an older and proven college Tackle in the portal than investing 800k in a high school kid who probably wont be ready to even compete in the ACC for a year or two..

It's like ohio state paying that ewers kid as a 17 year old to come play at columbus. great, you paid him to redshirt and texas got him a year later with a season of experience under his belt, all on OSU's payroll.

of course it's ohio state and they have 10 other blue chips ready to go so they'll live but same point..

Yea, I get that but maybe this kid is thought to be an All-American type as a frosh and maybe there's wink wink incentives to get him to stay. I agree he isnt worth 800K for 1 year but there could be something in his contract as a retention bonus and salary increases yearly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT