ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia Tech: model “trap game”

Saboteur II

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2020
Every team faces a “trap game” in which all indicators point to a W but can easily end up an L.
GTech has nothing to lose.
Pitt does.
Field will be sloppy: a notorious equalizer.
We have a ton of injuries.
GTech has a QB who can run.
We do not.

I expect to win. But I am very much aware that young men (and women) sometimes look beyond the task before them. As a “program” (a team with a sense of itself) we are young.
This game is a big test in my eyes. We have to play every down with intensity and discipline.
If for no other reason, this is a big game.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I agree, they can not overlook Georgia Tech. I still think about when Miami spoiled our chances at a 9-win season in 2015 after they fired Al Golden. You never know how far a team will deviate from what’s on tape under an interim coach.

Reactions: Saboteur II
Also this isn’t the case of a good team on paper that was kept down by a bad coach. This was and is a bad team. No “throw the rule books to the Wind” coach is coming in and suddenly making them good.

GT is as bad as any conference team we've ever played. And VT isnt that far off of that. If this was Syracuse or Duke, maybe even BC, ok, but not GT

giphy_s.gif

To the original post

They have nothing to lose but who is designing a game plan for them to win? It’s an absolute mess and college players need consistency.

That's the most important part. Even if the players want to throw caution to the wind and feel they have nothing to lose, there is no indication the coaches have a gameplan to help them. They haven't so far.

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
Every team faces a “trap game” in which all indicators point to a W but can easily end up an L.
Pitt does.
We do not.

I expect to win. But I am very much aware that young men (and women) sometimes look beyond the task before them. As a “program” (a team with a sense of itself) we are young.
This game is a big test in my eyes. We have to play every down with intensity and discipline.
No, a trap game is an inferior opponent that comes either right after or right before a big, emotional game.

WMU was more of a trap game than GT is.

A game against a conference foe after playing an FCS team is the OPPOSITE of a trap game.

Pitt is going to roll.

What do they have to lose?
nothing (just like Rhode Island) ..not sure how that takes away from the fact that they suck...A bunch of 10 year old pee wees would have nothing to lose playing Pitt either but I would not call it a trap game..

Last edited:
Reactions: USN_Panther
This team is different than RI in that they have players that mostly/likely/possibly were coveted by other FBS programs. Many of them have played competitively against other FBS teams. There are also FBS coaches still working there. Some of them might legitimately stink, but a good number likely have mostly been poorly coached / led by their wayward HC. They were shocked out of their relative stupor this week. Almost always, you get an initial rallying of the troops in these situations, and they are able to run on adrenaline … for a little while. I’d imagine you’ll see this team very keyed up for the initial part of the game. It will be our challenge to absorb their initial blow(s), and then quickly snap them back into their lousy reality. I just hope we’re able to do so quickly, because the longer you let this kind of team hang around, the more momentum they gain. Foot in the neck please.

This is NOT a trap game.

The trap game was the Western Michigan game after playing West Virginia and Tennessee in back to back weeks. Or maybe the Rhode Island game if you think that the Western Michigan game was too much of a revenge game for that to be a let down.

Either way, neither of those two teams was good enough to spring the trap.

Tomorrow is in no way, shape or form a trap game. Unless someone thinks that it will be too hard coming down from that emotion high of playing Rhode Island or that we will get caught looking ahead to the team that lost to Old Dominion and got clobbered by the Hoopies.

This team is different than RI in that they have players that mostly/likely/possibly were coveted by other FBS programs. Many of them have played competitively against other FBS teams. There are also FBS coaches still working there. Some of them might legitimately stink, but a good number likely have mostly been poorly coached / led by their wayward HC. They were shocked out of their relative stupor this week. Almost always, you get an initial rallying of the troops in these situations, and they are able to run on adrenaline … for a little while. I’d imagine you’ll see this team very keyed up for the initial part of the game. It will be our challenge to absorb their initial blow(s), and then quickly snap them back into their lousy reality. I just hope we’re able to do so quickly, because the longer you let this kind of team hang around, the more momentum they gain. Foot in the neck please.
"Almost always, you get an initial rallying of the troops in these situations."

This is demonstrably false.

Almost every team that has a head coach fired mid season gets pummeled in their next game.

See Arizona State and Nebraska in just the past few weeks.

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
One team has indeed crawled into the fetus position and given up early. So you geniuses can take solace in being half right.

No first downs in the 1st Q hardly fulfills your prophesy..

My prophesy was that GT would play a spirited game to start, and not roll over and present it’s naked Heinie immediately.

I was a trillion percent correct. Unfortunately.
Here is what you wrote
…and they are able to run on adrenaline … for a little while. I’d imagine you’ll see this team very keyed up for the initial part of the game…,
Maybe you and I have different definitions for “initial part of the game.”

Here is what you wrote
…and they are able to run on adrenaline … for a little while. I’d imagine you’ll see this team very keyed up for the initial part of the game…,
Maybe you and I have different definitions for “initial part of the game.”
I’m not quite sure what you are arguing here. My point was that they’d come out and play tough, and that we needed to stomp on their necks to demoralize them. They did that, but we did not do our part, and they continued on playing tough because we did not crush their skulls like we needed to. A couple of the usual board d-bags made sniveling remarks to contrary, claiming GT would fold immediately and we would roll to an easy slaughter. They were clearly proven wrong. Is your argument was that the prediction I made of GT starting tough was somehow rendered incorrect because they CONTINUED playing somewhat tough?

I’m not quite sure what you are arguing here. My point was that they’d come out and play tough, and that we needed to stomp on their necks to demoralize them. They did that, but we did not do our part, and they continued on playing tough because we did not crush their skulls like we needed to. A couple of the usual board d-bags made sniveling remarks to contrary, claiming GT would fold immediately and we would roll to an easy slaughter. They were clearly proven wrong. Is your argument was that the prediction I made of GT starting tough was somehow rendered incorrect because they CONTINUED playing somewhat tough?
Trap game and we took the bait.

Reactions: pbrad
Pitt does.
We do not.

Sorry folks.
It was a trap game.
The easy jaunt into the end zone by their QB was icing on the cake.

Reactions: 303vND
I think it was painfully obvious our players felt they just had to show up and they would win. That’s on the coaching staff. This is why the ACC was smart to get rid of divisions. The Coastal is just a terrible mess.

You were saying…,
Still say it. A trap game is where a team comes in and overwhelms you with some undiscovered talent and success. Georgia Tech sucked and we still lost to them. Pitt was absolutely unprepared to even play a high school team yesterday. Yeah they lost as YOU predicted. Woo Hoo you are a Football genius. Send your CV in to Narduzzi and maybe he will hire you. You can go in each week and just say “Coach, this is a trap game.”

LOL. You are a football God!!! Ha ha ha.

ADVERTISEMENT