ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia tech rebranding video

I wonder how many good recruits they failed to land because they had an apparel deal with Russell Athletic?

I wonder how many good recruits they failed to land because they had an apparel deal with Russell Athletic?
Agree, they have the worst uniforms in major college football. I hate the gold they use and the uniforms in general just miss the mark.

I am not kidding you, they are changing their helmets to this....

DbPlktGWsAQwSGB.jpg

Like it

And at least their Ath Dept had enough sense not to change the schools colors from gold and blue to bananas and periwinkle.....and call it a throwback

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
So they modernized the letters. Looks good. Sort of kind of sort of mid century modern torch cut. That’s what the experts just said in HGTV.

If they gonwith that helmet they will look like some tiny school from the SWAC conference.

On a side note, I have been to bobby dodd twice and it’s a nice walk from midtown into campus and right into the stadium. Very good venue to watch a football game

Also their coach is a slap dick

Like it

And at least their Ath Dept had enough sense not to change the schools colors from gold and blue to bananas and periwinkle.....and call it a throwback

Ummmm... Georgia Tech’s official ‘school color’ is Old Gold, just like Pitt. I’m not sure how many times the point needs to be made that none of the countless Old Gold schools actually use it.

Ummmm... Georgia Tech’s official ‘school color’ is Old Gold, just like Pitt. I’m not sure how many times the point needs to be made that none of the countless Old Gold schools actually use it.
I’m not sure how many time the point needs to be made that bananas ain’t gold nor old gold...

So I’ll repeat it at least they had enough sense not to turn gold into babanas and blue into periwinkle...And call it throwback

I’m with Paulie B on this one! The more I look at our “throwback” uniforms, the more I dislike them. They’re very cheesy looking. They are not at all satisfying. The yellow is horrific and the blue is worse.

They aren’t “throwbacks” in any real sense and they don’t really invoke any sort of the emotions the throwbacks are supposed to invoke. It just looks like more new colors or typical Pitt incompetence.

If we’re just randomly picking colors on the theory that we think kids might like them, how is that any different than what Steve Pederson was so viciously criticized for?

People didn’t protest what he did because they hate the colors beige and navy blue. They protested because it was departure from our established identity. This is also a departure from our established identity. Now, it is closer to that identity but why not go all the way? Why does everything Pitt does have to be so incremental?

It seems like the trainer or “Chad from marketing” just kind of up and decided on some random yellow and blue that kinda/sorta looked like what Pitt used to wear and they just kind of went from there. That’s definitely unprofessional and that’s not remotely acceptable!

I don’t care what some 48 year-old white dude theorizes what 17 year-old black kids might like. I guarantee you they will like anything you put in front of them because they’re GD 17 years-old! They will like anything shiny and new – because that’s how children’s minds’ work.

Market to the base. Market to the people that actually have money to spend and fund the entire enterprise!

That’s what this program needs – more money!

Give all those people that have stood by the program through thick and mostly thin – and often very, very thin – something for one phucking time in the last 30 years! Give them something to latch onto for God’s sake!

This is not remotely complicated! In fact, it’s embarrassingly easy.

Literally just take a photo of Dan Marino or Tony Dorsett or Hugh Green and hand it to the designer and say, “Here, match this.”

That’s literally all people want.

If you want to put white trim around the script Pitt on the helmet, that would be great! Otherwise, keep the damn colors the same. That’s what people identify with and is all they have wanted for 20 some years now.

Why can’t we do this?! Why does everything we do have to be so unnecessarily complicated? It doesn’t make any sense!

I’m with Paulie B on this one! The more I look at our “throwback” uniforms, the more I dislike them. They’re very cheesy looking. They are not at all satisfying. The yellow is horrific and the blue is worse.

They aren’t “throwbacks” in any real sense and they don’t really invoke any sort of the emotions the throwbacks are supposed to invoke. It just looks like more new colors or typical Pitt incompetence.

If we’re just randomly picking colors on the theory that we think kids might like them, how is that any different than what Steve Pederson was so viciously criticized for?

People didn’t protest what he did because they hate the colors beige and navy blue. They protested because it was departure from our established identity. This is also a departure from our established identity. Now, it is closer to that identity but why not go all the way? Why does everything Pitt does have to be so incremental?

It seems like the trainer or “Chad from marketing” just kind of up and decided on some random yellow and blue that kinda/sorta looked like what Pitt used to wear and they just kind of went from there. That’s definitely unprofessional and that’s not remotely acceptable!

I don’t care what some 48 year-old white dude theorizes what 17 year-old black kids might like. I guarantee you they will like anything you put in front of them because they’re GD 17 years-old! They will like anything shiny and new – because that’s how children’s minds’ work.

Market to the base. Market to the people that actually have money to spend and fund the entire enterprise!

That’s what this program needs – more money!

Give all those people that have stood by the program through thick and mostly thin – and often very, very thin – something for one phucking time in the last 30 ****ing years! Give them something to latch onto for God’s sake!

This is not remotely complicated! In fact, it’s embarrassingly easy.
Somebody gets it.

They are throwaway, not throwback

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
I’m not sure how many time the point needs to be made that bananas ain’t gold nor old gold...

So I’ll repeat it at least they had enough sense not to turn gold into babanas and blue into periwinkle...And call it throwback

Except it's not just a Pitt thing like you are implying... Iowa, WVU, Missouri, Minnesota, ECU, and others have all replaced their "official" school color of Old Gold for more marketable and attractive bright yellows over the years... some of them also with variable shades of yellow and some those yellows are even very 'banana-like".

'Authentic' throw-back color variants or not, Pitt's uniforms are a nod to the past that has received near universal rave feedback both internally and externally, which is all that really matters from a marketing, brand image, and recruitment sense.

Except it's not just a Pitt thing like you are implying... Iowa, WVU, Missouri, Minnesota, ECU, and others have all replaced their "official" school color of Old Gold for more marketable and attractive bright yellows over the years... some of them also with variable shades of yellow and some those yellows are even very 'banana-like".

'Authentic' throw-back color variants or not, Pitt's uniforms are a nod to the past that has received near universal rave feedback both internally and externally, which is all that really matters from a marketing, brand image, and recruitment sense.
Bananas and periwinkle are not Navy and Old Gold.

I don’t give a Flip what the hoopies or Iowa have done.
Those so-called throwbacks are hideous

We have a great color scheme that shouldn’t be changed to garbage just because it focused group well.

At the end of the day I will be very surprised if even the Yummies in the Pitt Ath Dept vote to keep that crap.

We should end up with something close to Navy and maybe a bit brighter Gold than currently showing.

Honestly, the only place I ever remember seeing that logo was on banners and pennants. I think I may have seen on a few T-shirts as well but not in large quantities. That would’ve been the late 70s and early 80s. I don’t remember seeing that any other time and I’m not sure it was ever really officially used?

It was almost like an unofficial logo whenever an item needed a graphic panther rather than a woodmark. It’s a little bit like what you see with a lot of Big 10 schools and their musclebound Buckeye/Badger/Wolverine/ Spartan/whatever.

It was a much more innocent time.

All I remember from that time is the script Pitt and the long full-bodied panther which was slinking across the name – which also looked awesome! They used those pretty interchangeably and I really liked both of those logos. I especially liked/like those colors.

Honestly, the only place I ever remember seeing that logo was on banners and pennants. I think I may have seen on a few T-shirts as well but not in large quantities. That would’ve been the late 70s and early 80s. I don’t remember seeing that any other time and I’m not sure it was ever really officially used?

It was almost like an unofficial logo whenever an item needed a graphic panther rather than a woodmark. It’s a little bit like what you see with a lot of Big 10 schools and their musclebound Buckeye/Badger/Wolverine/ Spartan/whatever.

It was a much more innocent time.

All I remember from that time is the script Pitt and the long full-bodied panther which was slinking across the name – which also looked awesome! They used those pretty interchangeably and I really liked both of those logos. I especially liked/like those colors.

It appeared on all sorts of merchandise in the 80s. Stickers, wastebaskets, games, hats, seat cushions, clothes, flags, mugs...almost everything in the 80s. Of course, it was only one of multiple logos that appeared on things, as did the Panther crawling along the block Pitt and the script Pitt with and without various different Panthers. I think at any one time there were probably like 5 Panther logos.

s-l1600.jpg
vintage-ncaa-pittsburgh-panthers-pitt_1_927f717dcae61a0039498014d9ff078d.jpg
vintage-pitt-panther-wall-clock-14-11_1_58b82a4b04d7c0fbb5e8c34c8b53979b.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
pitt-panthers-collectibles-pin-hand_1_92b1104e5d4d1db69ed8c48beb360bca.jpg
university-pittsburgh-pitt-panthers_1_61735394f3ae5acc49494c9c018e741c.jpg

It's seen here on a currently sold heritage banner.
112123318371707p

By the way, the "muscle bound Panther", as below, dates to the 1950s. It is one of my favorites and has been making a comeback of late on some throwback items.
pitt_cv15.png

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT