ADVERTISEMENT

Getting Pitt Back into the Top 10

TFBaum

Junior
Jan 22, 2020
What does Pitt need to do to get its program into the Top 10. I get better recruiting and let's not dwell on the on grounds stadium and I get win more games, absent those items what would you do if you were asked.

on campus stadium, a new forbes field, script on the helmets, the return of the O, the return of sombrero man

What does Pitt need to do to get its program into the Top 10. I get better recruiting and let's not dwell on the on grounds stadium and I get win more games, absent those items what would you do if you were asked.

The answer is obvious. We don't need to do anything. Our advantages outnumber any other program in the nation by a longshot. Shall we revisit:

1. BIG CITY with things to do where any recruit would want to spend his 3-4 years. City of Champs!
2. Superior education compared to all but a few P5s.
3. Shared practice facility with the Steelers. This provides our guys the chance to train with some of the best in the NFL.
4. A coach who actually cares about his players and their education unlike Slippin' Jimmy over in Crappy Valley!
5. We send more players to the NFL than just about every program (see Aaron Donald, Fitz, Revis, etc)
6. Some of the best nightlife in the country with the Southside and Oakland bars.
7. Superior medical care that students can't get anywhere else.

All of that being said, we are recruiting exactly where we should be. How many times do we have to do over this...STARS DON'T matter. Leave star gazing to the pedos at Cow U. Duzz gets character kids who are Pittsburgh Tough! Top recruits are prima donnas and softer than charmin. Recruiting rankings don't translate to wins. Forget about speed and athleticism. Duzz will get us a conference championship recruiting players with toughness and heart. Blue collared, Steel City strong, Pittsburgh tough! The Pitt way. H2P!

transplant the campus to the southeast, become a public state school, join the SEC. A northern private city school will never again be top ten unless it is a fluke season.
Your point is well taken, in the last 45 years Pitt is the only NE private school to win an NC and really should have won two more. Thank God little Eddie B became AD

It all starts with a QB. You need to find one that is a dual threat that can elevate the team. Continue to recruit heavy in the southeast. The third would be a lighter OOC schedule. Do those three things and you have a good chance.

Last edited:
The answer is obvious. We don't need to do anything. Our advantages outnumber any other program in the nation by a longshot. Shall we revisit:

1. BIG CITY with things to do where any recruit would want to spend his 3-4 years. City of Champs!
2. Superior education compared to all but a few P5s.
3. Shared practice facility with the Steelers. This provides our guys the chance to train with some of the best in the NFL.
4. A coach who actually cares about his players and their education unlike Slippin' Jimmy over in Crappy Valley!
5. We send more players to the NFL than just about every program (see Aaron Donald, Fitz, Revis, etc)
6. Some of the best nightlife in the country with the Southside and Oakland bars.
7. Superior medical care that students can't get anywhere else.

All of that being said, we are recruiting exactly where we should be. How many times do we have to do over this...STARS DON'T matter. Leave star gazing to the pedos at Cow U. Duzz gets character kids who are Pittsburgh Tough! Top recruits are prima donnas and softer than charmin. Recruiting rankings don't translate to wins. Forget about speed and athleticism. Duzz will get us a conference championship recruiting players with toughness and heart. Blue collared, Steel City strong, Pittsburgh tough! The Pitt way. H2P!
What would you say there is to do in Pittsburgh? The opera? The museums? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ski11585
be willing to take a major loss in the budget to overspend in coaches salaries, recruiting, facilities, etc and hope the Steelers are on a downturn - if you're talking having a consistent top 10 program.

Or -

You hope and pray the steel industry returns back to WPA and coaches at PITT can miss on the top 4-5 prospects at any given position and the #6 kid is a potential All American.

Well, I’d say getting into the top 25 regularly would be a good first step.

This program is light years from the top 10.

be willing to take a major loss in the budget to overspend in coaches salaries, recruiting, facilities, etc and hope the Steelers are on a downturn - if you're talking having a consistent top 10 program.

Or -

You hope and pray the steel industry returns back to WPA and coaches at PITT can miss on the top 4-5 prospects at any given position and the #6 kid is a potential All American.
Well since neither of those events will happen I guess 8, 9 and maybe a 10 win season is the best we can hope for.

I believe in another thread Crazy Paco indicated that it is. I have no idea I was just parroting what he wrote.

If you were paying attention you would have read in other threads that Pitt is the #1 public university in the Northeast.

Get a mega booster that will dump millions into the athletic department like Oregon or Okie state.

Pitt is a state-affiliated school, along with Temple, PSU and Lincoln. PA has this unique set-up that makes Pitt different than true state-schools like Cal U and Shippensburg, but many of the national rating outlets classify PA's state-affiliated schools as public schools. I'm not entirely clear what the difference is, but I believe that Pitt gets a certain % of its budget from PA (as opposed to its entire budget) and only about half of the trustees are state-appointed. I guess its kind of a private-public partnership.

Neither of those schools are annual top ten.

They, especially Oregon, are probably the best examples of non blue blood type schools that aren't from the southeast or have 80k plus fans that pour their life into their program that are successful.

And shows even with huge resources from a mega booster how difficult it is to become a top 10 program.

Reactions: TFBaum
Be smarter at scheduling.
ACC/ND are known way in advance now.
Push more for 2 for 1 with lower G5 and smarter with upper G5.
@Mar,@WMU, home/home are death knells.
Move the Cincy series (at least off of '23).

Reactions: BillyWestFan
What would you say there is to do in Pittsburgh? The opera? The museums? :rolleyes:

Yes, the opera is great, but it doesn't stop there. Pittsburgh is the #1 city to live and the top choice for most professionals. Our thriving/growing city and diversity is a no brainer for any commit. This ain't Moo U or Blacksburg.

I think outsiders would look at Pitt fans talking about their football program being in the top ten again similarly to how we would view University of San Francisco basketball fans talking about getting back to winning national championships.

Reactions: PITTF2
I think outsiders would look at Pitt fans talking about their football program being in the top ten again similarly to how we would view University of San Francisco basketball fans talking about getting back to winning national championships.
Georgia Tech is a better comparison.

Georgia Tech is a better comparison.

I wasn't going for complete accuracy as much as I was just showing how absurd of a concept it is. Either way, I don't remember Georgia Tech basketball ever really being a perennial powerhouse, outside of a few scattered years. Then again, Pitt's top ten success in football was way more short-lived than many care to acknowledge.

Get a mega booster that will dump millions into the athletic department like Oregon or Okie state.
Unfortunately PITT is really good at pissing off anyone who has money that might go to sports.
Sports Fans, boosters, anyone.
PITT has to improve its Sports Pandering skills like other top sports Universities.

The key to Sports Pandering is to make rich people feel great about giving you or your organization lots of money.
Make them feel wanted, like they belong, almost like they own the place even though they don't.

Last edited:
Yes, the opera is great, but it doesn't stop there. Pittsburgh is the #1 city to live and the top choice for most professionals. Our thriving/growing city and diversity is a no brainer for any commit. This ain't Moo U or Blacksburg.

Uhhhh, yea

Because the Virginia recruits we just landed can't wait to get tickets for La Traviata......

I think the isolation some are currently experiencing is REALLY starting to effect on a few of our posters.

Reactions: PharMorNightStocker
I know that this is something that you didn't want to have brought up, but the #1 problem within the Pitt athletic department (not just the football program) is the lack of a home field that Pitt can call its own. Not a "rented" facility like Heinz Field and the "shared" practice facility with the steelers on the South Side, a stadium that is THEIR own. This is the number #1 problem that Pat Narduzzi (who in my opinion is the perfect coach for the football at this time) and his staff have to deal with on every recruiting visit they go on. It doesn't have to be a big stadium, just one that they can call THEIR own. It doesn't even have to be on campus at this point, just a stadium that they can call THEIR own.
When that time comes and it will eventually, the Pitt football program will elevate itself from where it is now. Coach Narduzzi and his staff will be able to recruit and get commitments from better recruits around the country. With that, you will see better coaches coming into the program and things will start to turn upwards for the football program.
Sadly, from what I've seen so far, the AD doesn't seem to feel that this is an issue that needs addressed. She has shown interest in improving the schools Olympic sports. She has even put some money into improving things for those sports by building them their own facilities. The problem I see is, for most NCAA Power-5 schools, the cash cow for their athletic departments, is their football programs and it doesn't appear that she seems to address that issue.
I'm sorry for bringing up a subject that you didn't want to talk about, BUT it is the reason why the Pitt football program continues to find itself floundering around the .500 mark each year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT