ADVERTISEMENT

Give me your "Hot Take" for Pitt's 2018 Football Season

PittFanDan17

Freshman
Jun 6, 2018
I'm curious to hear what other fans think can happen this year that will surprise some people. Whether if that is a big win, player having a huge year, whatever! I will give mine. I will say that Pitt will finish 2nd in the coastal this year behind Miami and get to a bigger bowl game than in past years. We got a favorable in conference schedule and our defense will surprise a lot of people, plus Pickett will hold down the offense and do what he needs to do. I think the big game will be VT at home. We always play them tough and they lost a lot on defense and I'm not sold on their starting QB at all. I'm curious to hear some other hot takes for Pitt!

We will beat Albany.

I think we can be very good if we avoid the early injury bug since our depth is not a strength of this team. Like the blend of veteran players sprinkled in with some freshmen contributors. Like to think we can get to 8 wins if we stay healthy but the schedule will provide a few "old Pitt" moments 7 wins is a good year.

Second place sounds right to me and Miami is probably the most probable team to win the coastal. I do think our ACC schedule is favorable and reason for optimism. Maybe going in to Miami will decide the season champ.

Hail to Pitt!

I'm curious to hear what other fans think can happen this year that will surprise some people. Whether if that is a big win, player having a huge year, whatever! I will give mine. I will say that Pitt will finish 2nd in the coastal this year behind Miami and get to a bigger bowl game than in past years. We got a favorable in conference schedule and our defense will surprise a lot of people, plus Pickett will hold down the offense and do what he needs to do. I think the big game will be VT at home. We always play them tough and they lost a lot on defense and I'm not sold on their starting QB at all. I'm curious to hear some other hot takes for Pitt!
This team will be much better than the national pundits, local pundits and a lot of our own fans thinks it will be.

as always.....who the hell knows.....

Reactions: HOF Coach
1. If healthy, Shocky J~L has the best freshman wr season we have seen in a decade. A shade under A.B./Fitz.... He turns into a star by week 6....

2. Paris Ford either has 2 punt return/kickoff touchdown this year or at least one interception for a TD.

Reactions: PittFanDan17

I agree with this. I think they win 9 games this year and the talk at the end of the year will be keeping Duz......

I think Ford will become a difference maker on D. Not sure where he'll fit in (safety/corner) or possibly a hybrid LB position a.la the Steelers but I think hes going to have a big year. The secondary as a whole will be the overall strong point/highlight for the team.

I also think you are going to see a far more aggressive team on D. Bates is going to make a huge difference.

The WR position over all will have a very good year.

I agree with this. I think they win 9 games this year and the talk at the end of the year will be keeping Duz......

I think Ford will become a difference maker on D. Not sure where he'll fit in (safety/corner) or possibly a hybrid LB position a.la the Steelers but I think hes going to have a big year. The secondary as a whole will be the overall strong point/highlight for the team.

I also think you are going to see a far more aggressive team on D. Bates is going to make a huge difference.

The WR position over all will have a very good year.
Love it. I think 8 is very realistic and 9 will obviously be outstanding. I dont see Ford being being a difference maker just yet but think the secondary will finally be at that Duzz at MSU type level.

From the Cheap Seats; Certainly no expert, but to these old Panthers eyes, we should have a pretty good idea where the season is going by the end of September. Looking forward to attending the UCF game in my back yard on the 29th. H2P

We go undefeated, untied, and unscored upon. Pickett’s so good, he has a statue of him striking the Heisman pose by mid-season. Penn State drops us for 2019 out of shame and Notre Dame joins the ACC full-time out of guilt. Saban retires after Shocky and Paris Ford run laps around the Crimson Tide in the national championship.

These are hot takes, correct?
giphy.gif

I think we're gonna surprise a lot of people. I'm predicting 9-3, 10-3 after bowls and a top 25 rank in the final rankings.

I wonder how many Pitt fans but psu season packages for the game at happy valley? Curious cause the psu money helps us, and I would think Pitt fans do the same thing as well... makes me scratch my head why wouldn't renew the series if this was the case on the side of state

6-6

Like someone else said, 1 guaranteed win. 11 other games, we can win or lose. 6-6 is the easy pick.

I think we'll lose to PSU, UCF, ND, VT, UNC, and Miami

Pitt will get embarrased by someone. Either a blowout by PSU or ND....or a solid 28 point ass kicking by UCF or Va Tech or Duke.

6-6 max....Narduzzi on the hot seat

No, I'm not a troll. Just getting less enthralled with PN every year.

respect your opinion but I don't see the blowouts, especially Duke. Have you seen Duke the past few years? And it is a home game this year. I see some WTF losses like last year with UNC or Va Tech. But I don't see any Ok State games like last year.

I could see a win vs PSU followed by a let down against GaTech. A surprise win against ND, a loss at UCF. Of course a loss at UNC. So your 6-6 may come to fruition just not the way you imagine it.

Pitt will get embarrased by someone. Either a blowout by PSU or ND....or a solid 28 point ass kicking by UCF or Va Tech or Duke.

Yep... this is pretty much what I'm thinking...
6-6 at best. We don't have the horses.

You guys have to get to Vegas and lay your money on the over for Pitt wins.Easy money they only have to win 6 games to cover your bet.Vegas is so stupid when it comes to predicting the outcome of games.bwdik

Reactions: pittdan77

Very fair. I'm close to that point with Duzz but Still optimistic for the team as of now at least

to be fair I think many teams would finish 6-6 with this schedule. Not so much the horses being the problem. If we played PSU schedule we would finish 8-4

Please pass me some of what you're smoking. With PSU's schedule, we'd be solid underdogs in 6 games. In fact, there's only 4 games that I would feel confident calling wins: Kent State, Illinois, Maryland, and Rutgers.

4-8 would be more likely than 8-4 with that schedule.

Please pass me some of what you're smoking. With PSU's schedule, we'd be solid underdogs in 6 games. In fact, there's only 4 games that I would feel confident calling wins: Kent State, Illinois, Maryland, and Rutgers.

You have us losing to App State? Alright, pass me some of what you’re smoking :cool:

You have us losing to App State? Alright, pass me some of what you’re smoking :cool:

I have App State and Indiana as toss ups.

Solid underdogs to:
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Iowa

Yes, Penn State is still on the schedule, because we can't play ourselves in week 2 of this excercise.

C’mon, man. You just said App State is a toss-up.

Believe it or not, App State is a solid G5 team this year. I think I remember reading that they have 2-3 players on national awards watch lists. Don't be surprised if they put up a solid fight against the nitters.

what a surprise Mauti coming in defense of the nits schedule......kind of what I was hoping for in my post. To smoke out the nits in pitt clothing. thanks for falling hook, line & sinker.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiehardPanther
Has a Narduzzi team been blown out other than OSU?

Reactions: cpc247
Believe it or not, App State is a solid G5 team this year. I think I remember reading that they have 2-3 players on national awards watch lists. Don't be surprised if they put up a solid fight against the nitters.

App St about a 23 point road dog at PSU in week 1, while PSU a 14.5 point favorite at Pitt in week 2. What that means is if Pitt played App St on a neutral field it would pretty much be a pick em game. This is probably accurate.

My hot take on the season is that Pickett is that good, and if he can stay healthy and develop a connection with at least 1 WR Pitt wins 7 games. I also see the defense as being much better, just not quite enough talent overall on this team to win more than 6-7 games.

I think the defense is going to play great all year round and keep Pitt in every game.

I think the Pitt offense is going to be an absolute disaster. Watson as OC, the weakest OL that I can remember, as green a qb as you can get, unproven talent up and down the wr depth chart.

Any where between 5-7 wins this year, so lwts call it a 6-6 season. I’ll be really upset if we don’t get some of the younger guys on the OL playing at the end of the season. If Narduzzi doesn’t win 9-10 next year, he’s gotta go. Watson should probably be fired after this year.

6-6
Hoping to come up w 7.....

35 yrs of mediocrity at its back....why expect better with so many questions and a difficult schedule.

08 it's tough to bet on an unproven QB behind a questional oline.If I was betting Pitt I'd still take the over,I think they get the 6 wins.Another worry "might" be the overall team speed of the D getting from sideline to sideline.bwdik

If the Desert isn’t even making Pitt above .500 and a 14.5 dog at home against State College U..............they’re not 100% of course but those guys know something.

Looks to be uphill to beat 7 anybody picking 9+ is off their nut.

best defense in a long time...tough schedule, but I see the offense getting better as the season progresses .. I will be disappointed if we don't get 8 wins. last year 3 close games we lost could of pitt's way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT