ADVERTISEMENT

Glad we didn’t get Hurley he is a

pittizit

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Real jack***..watching him showing up Boeheim at end of their game...comparable to Jimmy Franks.

Real jack***..watching him showing up Boeheim at end of their game...comparable to Jimmy Franks.

If he was guaranteed to stay, I'd rather have him but the reason I prefer Capel is because Hurley didn't want to be here and would have left the first chance he got

Reactions: Elsalvador
I'm glad we got Capel, but no one on this board would be crying if Hurley was here. UConn might be ranked next week if they don't stumble before then. Pitt went after some good coaches, and was able to land one of them.

If he's that classless, I'm glad he's not here. I don't care if he would make Pitt an undefeated team. I want a coach who has some class and can coach and recruit. I think Capel checks all of those boxes better than Hurley.

Reactions: giveitarest
If he's that classless, I'm glad he's not here. I don't care if he would make Pitt an undefeated team. I want a coach who has some class and can coach and recruit. I think Capel checks all of those boxes better than Hurley.

I was hoping we'd get him here to Pitt. Now that we have Capel, I'm very
happy with him. Some of Hurley's antics are over the top and lack
class, I agree.
What I'll not forget is how he brought his Wagner team into the Pete (yes,
Wagner) and beat one of Jamie's teams...2011. It wasn't Jamie's best
year, but we did win 22 games that season.
He may act like an ass at times, but make no mistake, he can coach and he
can recruit.

class, I agree.
can recruit.

Yes, I agree....he can coach and recruit. But he lacks the class that we expect from a Pitt coach, and that's why Capel checks all of those boxes and Hurley doesn't. Capel has been nothing but class for the short time he's been here.

Yes, I agree....he can coach and recruit. But he lacks the class that we expect from a Pitt coach, and that's why Capel checks all of those boxes and Hurley doesn't. Capel has been nothing but class for the short time he's been here.

We agree, but let's not set Pitt up as the great determiner of "class" when
hiring a coach. We offered Hurley first, and only got Capel after Hurley
turned us down.
"Class" didn't seem to be an issue when we offered Hurley. Pitt wasn't
worried about "checking all of those boxes" when we offered him multi
millions to come here.
Despite all that, I'm as glad as you are that we now have Capel.

Reactions: cease10
If his last name wasn't Hurley and you looked at the 2 resumes blindly - I'm not sure anyone would pick Hurley's over Capel.

But with that said, both will be successful.

Last edited:
class, I agree.
can recruit.
At least he acknowledges his "intensity". I read an article interviewing him a year or so ago and I guess his family staged an intervention because he was way too over the top and alienating all those who came in contact with him.

Problem with an impulsive, aggressive personality is that it can rear its ugly head in an instant. I'm sure we would have embraced him here, but I'd rather have someone who deliberately chose our university, not settled.

If his last name wasn't Hurley and you looked at the 2 resumes blindly - I'm not sure anyone would pick Hurley's over Capel.

So of that said, both will be successful.

His last name definitely helps, you're right. But then again, if you look at the
records and program development of those three Hurley's, you will see
it's way more than just the last name.
With all that said...he does act like an ass, but the Hurley name is well deserved.

At least he acknowledges his "intensity". I read an article interviewing him a year or so ago and I guess his family staged an intervention because he was way too over the top and alienating all those who came in contact with him.

Problem with an impulsive, aggressive personality is that it can rear its ugly head in an instant. I'm sure we would have embraced him here, but I'd rather have someone who deliberately chose our university, not settled.
Mike Rice wannabe.

Reactions: cease10
Yeah. Screw those jerks. How dare they have the temerity to treat other people with respect!
Exactly! It would be way more fun to be the heel in wrestling, rather than be Bob Backlund! LOL

He turned to crowd and told them to get up and then turned to Boeheim and gave Cuse the SHUTUP sign
Seeing as how there is no mention of this anywhere on the internet, I think you may have misinterpreted the gesture, whatever it was. I also doubt very seriously that Dan Hurley would do something like that.

That said, that was a big early win for UCONN.

Reactions: Prime Time Phil
Never thought I'd see the day that a Pitt fan would get offended on behalf of Jim Boeheim. Not at all surprised that someone found a way to talk about Penn State's football coach on the basketball forum, though.

Reactions: Nashville Panther
Never thought I'd see the day that a Pitt fan would get offended on behalf of Jim Boeheim. Not at all surprised that someone found a way to talk about Penn State's football coach on the basketball forum, though.

Plenty of time left in 2nd half but Iowa schooling UConn tonight by about 20. UConn particularly hurt by not making the 3-ball. How much of that is Iowa's excellent D and how much is UConn having an off night is hard to tell.

Plenty of time left in 2nd half but Iowa schooling UConn tonight by about 20. UConn particularly hurt by not making the 3-ball. How much of that is Iowa's excellent D and how much is UConn having an off night is hard to tell.

I'm not surprised. Iowa are a legitimately good team from what I've seen of them this season. They were just as bad as UConn last season but their program was in better shape and they had continuity with their head coach. Iowa's 14-19 looks like a blip on the radar for an otherwise consistently respectable program. UConn's 14-18, meanwhile, illustrated a once great program in desperate need of rejuvenation after the mess that Ollie made. Hurley clearly has a lot of work to do, but he's losing to a superior team tonight. I don't think it's an off night for UConn.

Did anybody catch Hurley's expression tonight after a questionable call? I wish I had a screenshot. His face was pulled back in a tight grimace plus a pout at the same time. Really, really odd.

Capel recruited Blake Griffin and made an Elite 8. He also won a national championship at Duke as their assistant coach and recruiting director. His resume is clearly more impressive than Hurley’s. I posted Hurley didn’t deserve the contract we were offering him. So glad he turned it down and Heather went after Capel.

Funny how strongly this board pined for him, and now he's a douche. Maybe it was like, he is a douche but at least he'd be OUR douche?

ADVERTISEMENT