ADVERTISEMENT

GMJR

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
How on god's green earth did he get Buffalo to take Sheary AND Hundwick and their contracts and give us a 4th rd pick back? How?

I guess the Pens are going to sign Jack Johnson. 5 year deal, the term is not good but there will again be a lockout in a few years which the Pens will be able to buy the remainder of the contract out without penalty.

I still think some other moves will be made.

How on god's green earth did he get Buffalo to take Sheary AND Hundwick and their contracts and give us a 4th rd pick back? How?

I guess the Pens are going to sign Jack Johnson. 5 year deal, the term is not good but there will again be a lockout in a few years which the Pens will be able to buy the remainder of the contract out without penalty.

I still think some other moves will be made.
I’m hoping Jeff skinner

Ive learned to never doubt anything GMJR does. He really hasn't missed on a single move yet in my book. People can moan about the Brassard trade all they want, but he can easily turn around this season and be sensational (he was hurt last year). We still have a lot of cap room to make some more key additions.

Ive learned to never doubt anything GMJR does. He really hasn't missed on a single move yet in my book. People can moan about the Brassard trade all they want, but he can easily turn around this season and be sensational (he was hurt last year). We still have a lot of cap room to make some more key additions.

Well, he did miss on Hunwick. Not sure if Johnson is a great risk to take at 5 years.

Reactions: Jpripper88

Did you sleep through the 2017 offseason? Niemi, Hunwick, and Reaves were all misses.

He has made some great moves. He has also made some real bad ones. He just traded a couple away to give Johnson a ton of money and term.

Reactions: pittdan77
He has made some great moves. He has also made some real bad ones. He just traded a couple away to give Johnson a ton of money and term.
Also to create room for Rust and Sheahy. No one knows how these things eventually work out. Johnson will probably get around 3 mill per year. I think this could work out well.

I think Johnson will be a better fit with the Penguins than he was under a Torts led Columbus team. You don't get a lot for $3.5m when you're looking for a blue line veteran with any type of skill. Take a look.
http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/
Couple thoughts from that link:
1.) Holy hell did Nashville luck out with that Ekholm contract. He’s basically making what Johnson will make but he’s much younger and much better. He is also signed through 2022. That is a phenomenal contract for the Predators.

2.) Trevor Daley is making less than that and he’s a better player than Johnson as well. I wonder if the Red Wings would’ve been willing to part with him?They are not going anywhere anytime soon and I would not be surprised to see them trade the smooth skating defenseman who was such an important part of our success over the past few years.

3.) Ben Lovejoy would also be an upgrade over Johnson. And I have always liked Adam McQuaid.

4.) Unfortunately, all of those guys are already spoken for and the unrestricted free-agent list is remarkably thin. Still, there are guys out there that I would rather have than Johnson, including Ian Cole. I would also rather have John Moore and Calvin de Haan - whom I think it be had for a similar price and would be better over that type of term.

5.) The overriding lesson here is that quality defensemen are such a rare commodity and you just can’t get rid of them because you can’t possibly replace them. That’s why we MUST stick with Letang, despite his struggles last season and why Ottawa has to do whatever it can’t retain Karlsson. If you don’t you’re going to end up with Toby Enstrom as your best D.

Did you sleep through the 2017 offseason? Niemi, Hunwick, and Reaves were all misses.

Niemi was a nothing signing to keep the two young goaltenders in WBS as long as possible. The others were “meh” like you said.

Also to create room for Rust and Sheahy. No one knows how these things eventually work out. Johnson will probably get around 3 mill per year. I think this could work out well.

Im happy overall if the money saved equals those guys plus Oleksiak.

We have to stick with letang because nobody would take that contract straight up.

With his recent level of play.

So we have to hope he bounces back
Yeah, let’s hope he has a better year than last year in which he was coming off major neck surgery and a stroke and yet was once again, by far, our ice time leader.

Personally, I think that’s a pretty good gamble.

There's not a GM out there that doesn't miss on a trade here and there. JR's moves got the Pens 2 cups. I'll withhold judgement on these latest moves.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I’m talking quality of his play
Yeah, I know that. So am I.

Look, Letang obviously did not have a great year last year — particularly by his lofty standards.

However, people are just as obviously overstating how much he struggled or he would not have led the team in TOI.

I think we can all agree that it is counterintuitive to suggest that someone who stinks would somehow play more than everyone else at his position. In fact, he played more often than anyone else on the entire team.

I think we can also agree that the Penguins are run by a very shrewd management team. There is no way in this world they would risk their chances to win a third consecutive Stanley Cup in some sort of futile effort to placate one of their players. That’s obviously not how they operate.

That leaves us with the obvious conclusion that they played him more often than everyone else on their back end because they believe that he is better than everyone else on their blue line.

I happen to agree with their assessment – but only when he’s healthy. He was definitely NOT their best rearguard in last year‘s playoffs and it showed. Dumoulin was Pittsburgh’s best defenseman in the playoffs. He has really blossomed into a very good top pairing type of D.

As I said, I was not thrilled with the way Letang played for most of last year either. Honestly, I think he played too many minutes and it wore him down. Really, by March, he was totally out of gas. Had also lost confidence and was pressing.

On top of all of that, I believe he was also injured. I noticed early on in the Flyers series that he was having a lot of trouble turning to his right. Philadelphia and Washington noticed that as well and they kept trying to force him to his right. You can’t play that position at that level if you can’t skate in one of your four primary directions.

However, I’m also willing to gamble that with a full offseason to rehabilitate his body after a major neck surgery and a stroke he’s probably going to be a much better player this time around.

If he is not better this year then of course you consider trading him or buying him out. I’m positive they would be able to find a taker for Kris Letang, because defensemen who play that many minutes and in that many situations are so incredibly hard to find – particularly right-shot defensemen who can do all of those things. That’s like finding a left-handed pitcher in baseball who has a plus level fastball, change up and breaking pitch – there just aren’t very many of them on the planet, so when you are fortunate enough to luck into one you should probably hold onto him for as long as you possibly can.

As I’ve said many times in the past – but only because it’s true – after Crosby and Malkin, he’s been our third most important player during this entire era.

Last edited:
Well, with displacement it really was for Johnson and the Brassard full year salary, not Rust and definitely not Sheahan. Sheahan makes $25k more against the cap than last year. His deal had no effect on cap space vs where they were. Rust and Sheary cost $4M last year and with displacement it is likely Rust + one of the young wingers will cost about $4.25-4.5M, so a very small difference that would have been completely covered by the cap increase. Johnson will cost $1-1.25M more than Hunwick and Oleksiak will probably get a $500k-$1M raise.

I am a big fan of GMJR. I think that he has made the Pens many good deals. I think he recognized a need for toughness on last years team and brought in Ryan Reaves. It was not his fault that Sullivan refused to incorporate him into the line-up in any meaningful way. Reaves was a +4 in 10 playoff games with Vegas. I think he would have been plenty useful and not been the liability that many thought in the Caps series. Sully also choked moving Cole out of town.

GMJR also stole the Big Rig out of Dallas and now he is going to add Jack Johnson. I think this move along with a resurgent Letang could put the Pens back on track. I think JR has a pretty good handle on what this team needs, I wish the head coach would trust in the moves he makes and not be so stubborn to believe that only he can be right. I think GMJR is pulling the right strings again, this time Sully has to make it work.

I think he recognized a need for toughness on last years team and brought in Ryan Reaves. It was not his fault that Sullivan refused to incorporate him into the line-up in any meaningful way.

The Pens won two straight Stanley Cups without toughness. They didn't need a guy like Reaves on the roster and he did nothing to prevent any cheap shots. That first-round draft choice could have been used to acquire a better fit for the roster.

I agree with this.

I think toughness is a teamwide attribute, like speed or skill. If you have one tough guy, or one fast guy, it does not change your team’s complexion. You have to be built that way for it to matter.

Probably the number one mistake that general managers make is they don’t commit to an identity - or the coach refuses to coach to it. They try to add a little bit of this and a dash of that and a dollop of those; and before you know it they end up with a team that is not real fast, not real tough, not real skilled and not real good.

Pittsburgh was built as a four line speed team and unfortunately, over the past few years, they’ve lost some of that speed - and some of their depth too. They are now no longer the fastest team in their own division (New Jersey) much less the entire league.

Reaves is definitely a more skilled player than he is often given credit for. However, he did not fit into what Pittsburgh likes to do at all. Honestly, it was a ridiculous trade by Rutherford. They definitely should’ve kept the rights to Klim Kostin. I really think they’re going to live to regret that choice. He is a big, strong rangy centerman who would’ve been a perfect long-term answer in that 3C role.

Honestly, I think more mistakes are made when teams try to add toughness than anything else. It’s just such an intangible thing that it’s difficult to measure whether or not a guy is being effective?

Reaves is a certified heavyweight champion. He’s probably the best fighter in the NHL right now. If he’s not that, he’s on the very short list of top contenders for that crown. However, I’m not sure that his presence actually made anyone safer? I mean why would that impact anything at all? Do you really think guys are going to lay off of the cheap shots with Crosby and Geno because two shifts later Ryan Reaves is coming? Maybe, but I doubt it. I just think it’s an overvalued commodity – especially in today’s game. I would much rather have a Bryan Rust out there than a Ryan Reaves.

The other major mistake that is made all the time is when teams try to add leadership. Every single year around this time, and again around the trade deadline, teams makes so many mistakes with signings and/or trades that involve giving up a good young asset for an older lesser asset all in the name of adding experience. It actually works out once every 20 times (Matt Cullen). The rest of the time it fails miserably.

I don’t love the Jack Johnson signing, but I can live with it if he’s on your third pairing with, say, Jamie Oleksiak. If he’s playing 15–16 minutes per night, he probably won’t hurt you too badly. However, the Pens still have some forward depth issues that they absolutely must address.

Of the UFA’s out there, I would love to add Michael Grabner. I think he would really help us reestablish our core identity. He is also an excellent penalty killer and a guy who can play up and down the lineup 5/5. I don’t know if we can fit him in or if he will command too much money? However, if we can somehow make that work, I would be very pleased with that signing.

Last edited:
Which, of course, means that Vegas thought so much of him that he didn't play one second of one game in their first two playoff series.

This is correct.

He got a shot due to injury and to his credit had a solid playoffs.

He was a healthy scratch for most of the season in Vegas. It looks like he’s coming back though, good for him to get a decent payday. He’s another guy who was active in the community since he arrived and seems like a good guy.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
I understand the identity comment, but also putting together a team is like fitting together a puzzle. Sheary. Rust. Guentzel. All essentially the same player, with one maybe having a higher pedigree of talent. You don't need all 3.

It's great to have fast, good skating, puck moving defenseman, but when they are all undersized, that's not good.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
Having Jack Johnson as a 3rd pair defenseman is fine because he is a replacement level player that you should be constantly looking to upgrade. He is a #6-7 D. Paying him $16-17m over 5 years is crazy.

GMJR is a swing for the fences GM and that has served him well for years, both in Carolina and Pittsburgh. He makes some ballsy moves, but certainly has his share of head scratchers (see the contract he gave Alexander Semin with the Hurricanes). His approach won the team two Cups and it’s who he is. That said, the one concern moving forward is that JR’s forte is not scouting and player development. The Pens system is barren outside of Sprong, who really is NHL ready at this point. If Crosby and Malkin can play until they are 38 or 39 then it won’t matter as much, but at some point they need to start accruing picks and re-building the system. Remember, it was the additions of the kids (Sheary, Murray, Rust, Guentzel, etc) that got the Pens over the hump. There aren’t any of those types beating down the door. Again, that’s ok now, but long range the Pens need to start planning for the future within the next few years.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
I understand the identity comment, but also putting together a team is like fitting together a puzzle. Sheary. Rust. Guentzel. All essentially the same player, with one maybe having a higher pedigree of talent. You don't need all 3.

It's great to have fast, good skating, puck moving defenseman, but when they are all undersized, that's not good.

Oh yeah, you’re right about that as well. I agree with it in it’s entirety. Remember, you could probably put Hagelin in that group as well. We definitely needed to get rid of at least one of those undersized forwards.

I just think that the best way to wear down a team is by skating their legs off and wearing them down mentally and physically. I think they trying to intimidate people through the neutral zone is not the best way to go... unless you were built for that throughout your lineup – as Washington was.

Tom Wilson draw a lot of attention for some of his big hits but the truth is it was not just Wilson doing the hitting. It’s also Ovechkin and Orpik and Smith-Pelley and Oshie, etc. The Caps were a very physical team.

I don’t believe Washington beat Pittsburgh because they were more physical than we were. I think they beat Pittsburgh because they were deeper than we were both up front and on the back end. Also, they got better goaltending than we did.

If we play them next year, they will again be a more physical team than we are. That has been the case for the past three years. I’m not sure why that would change now? However, if we build this thing properly, and if everyone stays healthy, we should have a chance to wear them down through our superior speed and depth.

Having Jack Johnson as a 3rd pair defenseman is fine because he is a replacement level player that you should be constantly looking to upgrade. He is a #6-7 D. Paying him $16-17m over 5 years is crazy.

Scroll down to Jack Johnson and tell me he doesn’t deserve as much as Radko Gudas, Trevor Daily, Ron Hainsy. $3 mill doesn’t get you much when looking for experienced defensemen.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/average/defenseman/

The advanced stats for Johnson look pretty terrible, so we can hope the new surroundings and playing low on the depth chart will get some different results. After seeing the Cole deal, the money doesn't look all too bad, however, five years is a lot. Then again, Rutherford has effectively got out of contracts before and he probably will be able to again.

Cam Ward and Chris Kunitz both to the Blackhawks..... two players discussed previously on here about whether the Pens should go after them.

Scroll down to Jack Johnson and tell me he doesn’t deserve as much as Radko Gudas, Trevor Daily, Ron Hainsy. $3 mill doesn’t get you much when looking for experienced defensemen.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/average/defenseman/
Ok. Jack Johnson is one of the worst defenseman in the NHL, is 31, and we just gave him 5 years at $3.25m per. It is a terrible contract. 1 year at $3.25m would be questionable, but possibly a gamble you could justify. Maybe even 2 years. 5 years is awful. It will cost them big.

But he is a lot better than Johnson, younger, and only got a 3 year deal.

Keep reading advanced stats.

Johnson is a much better skater, it’s laughable to compare their offensive skills as Cole has 0, Johnson plays bigger and is much more physical. Cole’s strength of blocked shots....Johnson blocks more. Cole is 2 years younger.....what youth!

Reactions: hansfam10
ADVERTISEMENT