ADVERTISEMENT

Go for 2 with 2:23 left?

I'm not sure of the stats, but since you have more info than me, what is the percentage of successful conversions vs failed attempts? Really interested in seeing that number.
The NCAA average is around 44-45%.

But factor in that we had a one-legged backup QB in the game.... and Pitt's chances of making were probably <25%.

I'm not sure of the stats, but since you have more info than me, what is the percentage of successful conversions vs failed attempts? Really interested in seeing that number.
In the low 40s in percentage. Depends on what timeframe you look at, I can find numbers that show 40%, 42.5% and 43.5%. In 2014 it happened to be 34%, and in 2019 it was 43%

In the low 40s in percentage. Depends on what timeframe you look at, I can find numbers that show 40%, 42.5% and 43.5%. In 2014 it happened to be 34%, and in 2019 it was 43%
Whatever the number is.... cut it in half with teams playing a one-legged backup QB.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
not getting talked about enough is the decision not to call timeout before the Tennessee punt. could have had the ball with 55 seconds instead of 21. Maybe he shanks the kick, or we get a decent return and start at the 35. Could have easily run 3 plays in that amount of time from that field position and got within FG range. I have a way bigger problem there than not going for 2.

Different studies? Like do some people count differently than others? Or maybe the long division is too much?

The number varies from year to year, but there isn't anything to study. You either make it or you don't. The percentage is the percentage.

Thought the same thing. This isn't ranking the top Northeast universities; this is an objective stat.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Listen, I probably wouldn't have but I was thinking it. 99.9% of college football coaches wouldn't have so there's no blame on Narduzzi there BUT as happy as I was to take OT at that point (assuming we'd hold Ten on the final drive as we did), I thought we were at a bad disadvantage in OT. Happy to be there and hoping for a Tennessee mistake but they're significantly better than us with a backup QB. Had we went for 2 and made it, maybe we win the game though Tennessee's play calling would have been different trailing so they still could have made a GW FG.

I'll tell you this though: On Pitt's OT drive, I was so hoping they'd go for 2 and the win. It was going to go to do dueling 2 point attempts anyway, which is the dumbest thing ever so go ahead and decide it right there. No point risking another drive with a backup QB and FCS OL.

I hope to God I never see a Pitt game decided by the College football version of penalty kicks. What a terrible, terrible way to decide a hard-fought game. I hope that rule changes.

Absolutely right, I agree.

However, Nick Patti was hobbled, and that led them to kick. Narduzzi mentioned the same.

Patti is actually quite good at scoring around the goal line, and I am sure we would have went for it. After the phantom holding call on his first touchdown run and got injured, he was near worthless running or passing the remainder of the game.

not getting talked about enough is the decision not to call timeout before the Tennessee punt. could have had the ball with 55 seconds instead of 21. Maybe he shanks the kick, or we get a decent return and start at the 35. Could have easily run 3 plays in that amount of time from that field position and got within FG range. I have a way bigger problem there than not going for 2.
I think the thought was maybe Tenn would have then opted to go for it on 4th down. I wanted the 2 point attempt as regardless of out come of the play Pitt would have then covered ATS. They either go up 1 and win outright. Go up 1 and lose by 2 on a Tenn FG, or fail to convert and lose by 1. All would have covered.

I think the thought was maybe Tenn would have then opted to go for it on 4th down. I wanted the 2 point attempt as regardless of out come of the play Pitt would have then covered ATS. They either go up 1 and win outright. Go up 1 and lose by 2 on a Tenn FG, or fail to convert and lose by 1. All would have covered.

I definitely think that was the thought, but I'd have taken my chances on stopping them on 4th and 3 as opposed to going into overtime with a hobbled QB and an offense that struggled in the red zone all day.

And I'd have DEFINITELY called a timeout on 3rd and 19 in the first half and had someone back to catch the punt. We'd have gotten the ball back with over a minute left.

ADVERTISEMENT