ADVERTISEMENT

Goff - Rudolph

pittbb80

Chancellor
Oct 9, 2004
I’ve watched the Rams the last few weeks Goff is a decent QB but doesn’t impress me. In watching the Rams it struck me that maybe the Steelers are not the dire straights as I thought they were. I think Rudolph can play at the level Goff does. If they can get some decent OL and a RB and patch up the D the Steelers could be back in the playoffs next year.

they have to keep the Wrs. They have and hopefully Bush returns. They will need to add a DL and possibly a corner. I also think they need to trade replace Edmonds in the secondary. It’s a bit of a tall order but not out of the question

I'm not sure, Goff is a two time pro-bowler and got his team to a superbowl. He's not asked to do too much given that it's a defense-first team but he is also an accurate passer. Hard to judge based on his recent play given his thumb injury.

I'm willing to give Rudolph the chance though.

I’ve watched the Rams the last few weeks Goff is a decent QB but doesn’t impress me. In watching the Rams it struck me that maybe the Steelers are not the dire straights as I thought they were. I think Rudolph can play at the level Goff does. If they can get some decent OL and a RB and patch up the D the Steelers could be back in the playoffs next year.

they have to keep the Wrs. They have and hopefully Bush returns. They will need to add a DL and possibly a corner. I also think they need to trade replace Edmonds in the secondary. It’s a bit of a tall order but not out of the question

Decent OL
A RB
Keep the WR's
Bush returns healthy
Add a DL
Add a corner
Replace Edmonds

And Rudolph plays at Jared Goff level.

I think you spelled out why the Steelers won't sniff the playoffs instead of how they will get there.

Bingo! Rudolph can be good enough for the near future, but we have bigger needs to fill. OL and RB being on the top of the list. The defense needs some younger blood on the DL and secondary

Reactions: Millerton24
Decent OL
A RB
Keep the WR's
Bush returns healthy
Add a DL
Add a corner
Replace Edmonds

And Rudolph plays at Jared Goff level.

I think you spelled out why the Steelers won't sniff the playoffs instead of how they will get there.

True, but I think what he’s trying to say is the Steelers have more pressing issues than just QB.

Some of the posters think that if we give up a king’s ransom to get a QB, that they’ll be in the next Super Bowl. Not so... They have many issues

The Jets thought the same thing a few years ago when they traded #1 picks with Indy, plus three #2 picks to get Sam Darnold. Look where they’re at today? Now they’re looking at drafting another QB.

They have age on the DL and the OL. Not to mention all the players they have to pay and the big decisions at LB.

True, but I think what he’s trying to say is the Steelers have more pressing issues than just QB.

Some of the posters think that if we give up a king’s ransom to get a QB, that they’ll be in the next Super Bowl. Not so... They have many issues

The Jets thought the same thing a few years ago when they traded #1 picks with Indy, plus three #2 picks to get Sam Darnold. Look where they’re at today? Now they’re looking at drafting another QB.

They have age on the DL and the OL. Not to mention all the players they have to pay and the big decisions at LB.

I don't get that at all from his post.

Be that as it may, I agree with your post. The Steelers have holes everywhere and solving the QB issue doesnt solve everything.

In fact, I would look to trade down in the first. A player will be there to help them and they can wrestle another pick from that team.

The Steelers, because of holes all over the place and cap issues need draft picks.

Lots and lots of draft picks

Reactions: pittmeister
Unfortunately next year they have a 1st place schedule. It is brutal! A 5 game winning season would be successful. A top 5 draft pick could be theirs then, and build off of that.

I'm not sure, Goff is a two time pro-bowler and got his team to a superbowl. He's not asked to do too much given that it's a defense-first team but he is also an accurate passer. Hard to judge based on his recent play given his thumb injury.

I'm willing to give Rudolph the chance though.
Trent Dilfer won a super bowl

Goff is a bit more a athletic than Rudolph but IMO I don’t see a guy who is significantly better in all other areas of being a QB

I don't get that at all from his post.

Be that as it may, I agree with your post. The Steelers have holes everywhere and solving the QB issue doesnt solve everything.

In fact, I would look to trade down in the first. A player will be there to help them and they can wrestle another pick from that team.

The Steelers, because of holes all over the place and cap issues need draft picks.

Lots and lots of draft picks
Do they really have holes everywhere? I mean, they won 12 games this year.

I agree with you on the picks. They generally draft well, if they can accumulate more capital by trading down or swing a move with a redundant player somewhere, it probably is to their benefit.

They have players up and down the defense and should be pretty good on that side of the ball. They will restructure some contracts and handle the situations with Watt and Minkah before it is too late. They have shown the ability to draft and develop on defense over long periods of time.

On offense, they just drafted another stud WR and a pretty solid interior OL player this past season. As they turn to the interior and life after Ben, they will figure it out.

I am not saying that things are ideal and the cap is an issue (though it has been an issue for them forever and they find ways around it). But, Pittsburgh does not lack big young talent with guys with like TJ Watt, Devin Bush, Stephon Tuitt, Minkah Fitzpatrick and Chase Claypool and Diontae Johnson (even with the drops) on the roster.

Some of the guys walking are probably going to be addition by subtraction for them (Pouncey and Villanueva for starters). And they have some other guys that will be replaced well by guys already on roster or mid-level draft picks (Conner, JuJu and unfortunately Bud who finally came into his own, then got hurt, then they find out that they did make a strong draft pick with Highsmith).

They will miss Hilton and Alualu. Maybe they can get the latter back on a discount though they need to address his position anyway in the draft. Feiler is good but replaceable.

They may step back to 8-9 wins, but they are looking much more at a quick re-tool without much downtime as long as they figure out QB past Ben.

They need more of a re-tool than a re-build.

Trent Dilfer won a super bowl

Goff is a bit more a athletic than Rudolph but IMO I don’t see a guy who is significantly better in all other areas of being a QB

Sure, Trent Dilfer won a superbowl. One of the worst Superbowl QB matchups vs Kerry Collins. That was a rough one to watch.

You have to have a top level defense, a good running game, and a solid line to win with a game manager type QB.

All that being said, I'm definitely in agreement that I'd rather Rudolph get a year to prove himself as opposed to another year of Ben.

Sure, Trent Dilfer won a superbowl. One of the worst Superbowl QB matchups vs Kerry Collins. That was a rough one to watch.

You have to have a top level defense, a good running game, and a solid line to win with a game manager type QB.

All that being said, I'm definitely in agreement that I'd rather Rudolph get a year to prove himself as opposed to another year of Ben.
I’m just saying I don’t see anything incredibly special about Goff that makes it impossible for Rudolph to come close to that level of performance.

I’m just saying I don’t see anything incredibly special about Goff that makes it impossible for Rudolph to come close to that level of performance.

Maybe, stranger things have happened. I do think Goff has a significantly higher floor.

ADVERTISEMENT