ADVERTISEMENT

Going into next season, what do we need ?

BreakingPitt

All Conference
Apr 27, 2021
1- fans to accept Cignetti
2-A QB BAttle ?
3-Will the defense fold ?

My order of worry is 3, 2 , and then 1 .
We need playmakers on Offense, Hammond is good enough to be #1 but is he durable enough ?
The defense needs help, pray to the portal gods.
We dont even have a QB ?

We need a lot really. Receiver depth is not good we need some more transfers, OL and DL will be COMPLETELY revamped.

I just hope that they figure a way to open up the offense a bit, but especially clean up the odd things we saw all year where receivers are all running the same route

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I just hope that they figure a way to open up the offense a bit, but especially clean up the odd things we saw all year where receivers are all running the same route
i like this but I cant complain about Cignetti.. He is a master at running the ball when he needs to.
i think duzz will handle the defense.

Is Wayne coming back? If so, I like our depth all across the O. Nobody really stands out but neither did Izzie last year and Kenny the year prior.. I'm not sold on Bartholomew. He was a very good 2nd TE but was ineffective this year. It was as much on him as it was on Cignetti/Slovis. Maybe another dynamic TE or HB could free him up? I'd like to see more of Carter.

I think the D will be solid once again, given how well the youngsters looked today and against Miami and VA.

ST should be much improved.

i like this but I cant complain about Cignetti.. He is a master at running the ball when he needs to.
i think duzz will handle the defense.
I agree, the defense will likely be ok. I just really am confused about the scheme I’m general. It’s essentially designed in a way that will keep games closer than they should be, and the mistakes were ongoing through the year even after barden and Bradley left

I agree, the defense will likely be ok. I just really am confused about the scheme I’m general. It’s essentially designed in a way that will keep games closer than they should be, and the mistakes were ongoing through the year even after barden and Bradley left
There is nothing about the system that keeps games closer than they should be. That's a myth. Just because it allows you to possess the ball for a longer percentage of the game, doesn't mean it keeps the game any closer. The rules are the same. When you score, you kick off to the other team & then they get possession of the ball. The scheme is designed to win games at the line of scrimmage.

Gotta get a number ONE type receiver. Need 2 linebackers and a corner.

Another defensive tackle would be icing on the cake

There is nothing about the system that keeps games closer than they should be. That's a myth. Just because it allows you to possess the ball for a longer percentage of the game, doesn't mean it keeps the game any closer. The rules are the same. When you score, you kick off to the other team & then they get possession of the ball. The scheme is designed to win games at the line of scrimmage.
You’re just plain wrong but you ok

Reactions: cashisking884
The Ol will be strong with the guys coming back from what I heard. The DL will also be strong and they have talent at DE. Battle will come back in the secondary at corner. The kid from Florida at safety. Need to get one real good receiver in the portal. QB play will be huge as always.

I’m confused by the OP asking about QB… we literally brought in a starter with experience in Jurkovec and a good back up in Veilleux. Is this news to him?

Reactions: DORT
We need a lot really. Receiver depth is not good we need some more transfers, OL and DL will be COMPLETELY revamped.
OL, outside of the mess at center, is pretty good. Everyone in the game thread was talking crap about Goncalves... obviously not knowing he was going up against an early round draft pick. Typical Pitt fans... Goncalves sucks. That 2nd rounder he's going against... meh... Goncalves sucks.

As far as offense, much depends on if Wayne and Bartholomew return. The OL has some experience to replace some of the departing players (not usually true). Should be solid at RB. I was encouraged late in the season by some of the returning receivers besides Wayne, hopefully they’ll continue to mature and improve. With Cig now having his own guy at the helm, there can’t be excuses.

Defense…I expect much the same as most other seasons. As the CBS slurpers noted in between their fete of UCLA, Pitt defense Is going to stop the run, try to bring the heat, and rely preposterously on the corners to limit the big plays. Which players play almost seems superfluous.

Sauls seemed to have settled any lingering question about the kicker today.

Punting remains a question.

From the portal.
A CB, S, DE, DT, and a couple WRs. Maybe another RB.

Lose the Aussie and let Junko punt

OL, outside of the mess at center, is pretty good. Everyone in the game thread was talking crap about Goncalves... obviously not knowing he was going up against an early round draft pick. Typical Pitt fans... Goncalves sucks. That 2nd rounder he's going against... meh... Goncalves sucks.
Goncalves has been solid for 2 years. i predict he’ll be on nfl roster in 2024

2-A QB BAttle ?

We need playmakers on Offense, Hammond is good enough to be #1 but is he durable enough ?
We dont even have a QB ?
Pitt needs a donor like Mark Cuban or David Tepper to donate some big money so that Pitt can use it to offer top level NIL deals to players in the portal and new signees.

Need: an honest and open competition at QB. Play the best player, and bench him to see what others can do if he stumbles.

OL should look basically the same as what we've seen this season, sans Minor. DT's will hold their own as long as at least two of Bentley/Green/Danielson come. DE could be a problem that manifests itself to the secondary, also.

I see a team next year that has a lot of solid players but maybe not a lot of star power. I think you saw today that Means and Mumpfield are perfectly fine ACC receivers. Hammond is a perfectly fine running back. However, none of them are Addison or Izzy, and guys like that are extremely valuable - often the difference between punting and taking something to the house.

And on defense, same thing. DTs are solid, but there ain't no Kancey. DE... I'm just plain concerned there. Like it's Hayes... then what? I think Okunlola will be good (before eventually transferring to Miami), but will it be as soon as next season? I don't know.

LBs... Solid, but you don't have a guy like Dennis.

DBs... MJ is good on one side. Is Williams coming back? I effing hope so. Safeties always require a breaking-in period in this defense, but we should be okay with McIntyre, O'Brien, Battle, and McMillon.

I totally get that guys can't become stars without being given the opportunity, but you typically see flashes of it first and then they break out a season or two later. Who would even fit this description right now? Maybe the aforementioned receivers or a guy like Hayes or something.

I would like to believe at least one freshman receiver will be a heavy contributor. Either a true freshman or Copeland.

2-A QB BAttle ?

We dont even have a QB ?

I think we need one thing over all else. We need a quality qb. We have seen over and over again that in college football an above average or really good qb can be the entire difference between 7-5 and 10-2 or 11-1. Without seeing Phil at qb for Pitt we have seen him with Cignetti at BC. When healthy he looked pretty solid with Cigs. And I believe our overall talent at Pitt is better than BC had. So, for me, if Phil can play up to his full ability I think we can be really good. I think Phil has a lot of the leadership qualities that Patti had but with way more arm talent.

We lose a lot on defense but for some reason I still feel pretty confident that our defense will still be strong next season. We may drop off in sacks but I could see us being better overall.

2-A QB BAttle ?

We dont even have a QB ?

What does number 1 even mean?

Reactions: Parkview57
Based on reading this board throughout the season, we'll need:

2 or 3 new head coaches throughout the season
7 or 8 new OCs
Play the backup QB after every incompletion or INT
Get rid of the running back because we should never run the ball

If cbo,and Davis don't return then rb is a definite need as that leaves us with only Hammond and Carter,maybe the 2 incoming freshman can help but I think we need at least one in the portal

2-A QB BAttle ?

We dont even have a QB ?
This is a very subjective list. I think I know what you mean by each one but again that would be each and everyone’s subjective analysis.

If cbo,and Davis don't return then rb is a definite need as that leaves us with only Hammond and Carter,maybe the 2 incoming freshman can help but I think we need at least one in the portal
They both should return.
Neither will move to a
higher level IMO. I feel
they're good, and will
get good backup carries
here at Pitt. Stay and
earn a masters degree,
because pro football
isn't in their future.

By far Pitt needs Jurkovec to be a good quarterback. High level play from that position can mask a lot of issues and having a guy coming in who is knows the system from day one is huge. If the ground game can be anywhere near this year and if Jurkovec can stay healthy and play to his potential, Pitt should be quite good next year.

ADVERTISEMENT