ADVERTISEMENT

GOLDEN FLASHES

Jul 19, 2022
Gentlemen. As aome of you may know this term refers to a network of gay gentlemen that started back in the late 1800's. Being homosexual was frowned on at the time so needed a way to connect to each other WITHOUT being detected. It was determined they would keep a gold coin in the shirt pocket near the breast. If you spotted another man you were attracted to you could reach into the pocket and flash the coin. Always keeping it breif. If the gentlemen returned the flash you could THEN proceed to the next step. Always enjoyable and humorous to think of where some of these terms came from. The gold flash system was GONE by the mid 60's as the others had caught on. You could flash one at some gold wise machoman with a chip on his shoulder and catch a bruising. But the name has stuck.

Similarly, aren't the origins of the Presbyterian Blue Hose from the days when non-CIS Smurfs had to conduct their darkest desires privately within Smurf Village?

Gentlemen. As aome of you may know this term refers to a network of gay gentlemen that started back in the late 1800's. Being homosexual was frowned on at the time so needed a way to connect to each other WITHOUT being detected. It was determined they would keep a gold coin in the shirt pocket near the breast. If you spotted another man you were attracted to you could reach into the pocket and flash the coin. Always keeping it breif. If the gentlemen returned the flash you could THEN proceed to the next step. Always enjoyable and humorous to think of where some of these terms came from. The gold flash system was GONE by the mid 60's as the others had caught on. You could flash one at some gold wise machoman with a chip on his shoulder and catch a bruising. But the name has stuck.

I am not sure I want to know where the term Nittany Lion originated from then.

Reactions: MIPittfan
That was the name of the pre-Woody high Swissvale golden flash teams I believe ..
As an aside , I can't help when I read your posts picturing Foster Brooks on the old Dean Martin roast shows ... In a good way bud ..

Last edited:
Similarly, aren't the origins of the Presbyterian Blue Hose from the days when non-CIS Smurfs had to conduct their darkest desires privately within Smurf Village?
I'm honestly not sure naturally occurring smurfs have gender.

Both Smurfette, and later Sassette were created by a magic spell Gargamel performed to create an evil smurf to infiltrate the smurf village with. Prior to Gargamel using sorcery to create a female smurf; there were no female smurfs.

Further evidence that smurfs are not capable of reproduction is their cerimonial Dance of 100 smurfs. All of the non-female smurfs participated in the dance and the number of smurfs never deviated from 100 until non-female smurflings and Grandpa smurf came along in latter seasons; and the number increased accordingly at that time. But there were no smurf births. The new smurfs came about by other means(time travel and Grandpa smurf not being lost in the woods anymore being the ones I remember).

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
you seemed well versed in this subject matter...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT