ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga to Big 12???

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

Seems like it could happen. The Big 12 propogandists will view this as some major money move but the B12 source said its not a financial gamechanger. Obviously. As regular season college basketball isn't very valuable. They'd only bring enough money to pay them and keep everyone else at the same rate. So maybe $5 million-$10 million per year for Gonzaga. That's my guess.

I do wonder though if they are using this as leverage to get into the Pac 12 or Big East.

• Haha
Reactions: happjack
PAC 12 won’t let them in because they have a clause for no religious affiliations
They are considering SMU for expansion so I doubt that is an actual written rule, more like a common belief that they prefer not to include religious schools.

Pac 12 basketball will take a major hit losing UCLA. Big 12 basketball is much better but I think a Gonzaga/P12 marriage would be better for both, especially if the P12 also adds San Diego State, which is a very good basketball program in a great market.

Gonzaga, Az, San Diego St, Oregon - that's a pretty good foursome. They just need the Washington's and Cal's to step up.

The "PAC 12 won't allow religious schools" was really more about BYU, which had a few unique problems: they won't play any sports on Sundays and have policies that many secular institutions would consider discriminatory. SMU plus maybe another Texas school could help them more with recruiting that state where BYU would have added very little talent they couldn't already go after. Plenty of Mormon Pacific Islander kids already go to PAC 12 schools without BYU.

They are considering SMU for expansion so I doubt that is an actual written rule, more like a common belief that they prefer not to include religious schools.

Pac 12 basketball will take a major hit losing UCLA. Big 12 basketball is much better but I think a Gonzaga/P12 marriage would be better for both, especially if the P12 also adds San Diego State, which is a very good basketball program in a great market.

Gonzaga, Az, San Diego St, Oregon - that's a pretty good foursome. They just need the Washington's and Cal's to step up.
Sure it's a good bball conference but football and tv money from football drives everything. Also, do the likes of Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Cal and the Arizona schools want to be in an old Big East style Frankenstein conference? Adding basketball only schools seems like it would cause the schools I listed above to look for a way out.

Sure it's a good bball conference but football and tv money from football drives everything. Also, do the likes of Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Cal and the Arizona schools want to be in an old Big East style Frankenstein conference? Adding basketball only schools seems like it would cause the schools I listed above to look for a way out.
Well, they would have to vote on, right? Perhaps they do not feel Gonzaga added enough value as a non-football add. They did lose a semi-blue blood in UCLA so you would figure they'd have to consider Gonzaga as a replacement. You may be right in that they just dont care about the tiny revenue bump that Gonzaga basketball might add.

That new Big 12 would be so so weird. Talk about a thrown together grouping of schools.

If that were the case, USC would not have been admitted (it was a Methodist school back in the leather helmet days).
And Stanford was founded on non-denominational principles. Stanford Memorial Chapel is on campus and a functioning church.

Finally those natural rivals of central florida vs Gonzaga can occur in this bastardized conference.

Finally those natural rivals of central florida vs Gonzaga can occur in this bastardized conference.
Next they will be looking into adding

Akron men's soccer
Santa Clara women's soccer
Colorado skiing
Boston College hockey
Southern Mississippi baseball

Well, they would have to vote on, right? Perhaps they do not feel Gonzaga added enough value as a non-football add. They did lose a semi-blue blood in UCLA so you would figure they'd have to consider Gonzaga as a replacement. You may be right in that they just dont care about the tiny revenue bump that Gonzaga basketball might add.

That new Big 12 would be so so weird. Talk about a thrown together grouping of schools.
The new Big 12 is going to be the Island of Misfit Toys. The PAC12 should have swooped in and snatched up Kansas, OK State, Texas Tech, and Houston, those four with the remaining PAC12 schools would have been a decent conference and kinda makes sense geographically.

The Big12 has a history of allowing schools to join for one sport but there isn't one legitimately good reason for a major conference to add Gonzaga for basketball.
The Gonzaga players are going to rack up some frequent flyer miles, they'll have Platinum status by the end of the season.

The new Big 12 is going to be the Island of Misfit Toys. The PAC12 should have swooped in and snatched up Kansas, OK State, Texas Tech, and Houston, those four with the remaining PAC12 schools would have been a decent conference and kinda makes sense geographically.
That's what I was saying. If I'm the P12, I am negotiaing with the additions of Kansas, OK St, TT, and maybe 1 more and asking ESPN/Amazon how much more they'd get with them. Lets say the P12 can get $5 million more per year per team with those schools, why would they want to stay in the B12?

Reactions: happjack
That's what I was saying. If I'm the P12, I am negotiaing with the additions of Kansas, OK St, TT, and maybe 1 more and asking ESPN/Amazon how much more they'd get with them. Lets say the P12 can get $5 million more per year per team with those schools, why would they want to stay in the B12?
The Pac12 might yet pull a bigger number than the Big12 without doing anything.

They want to be like the Old Big East, like 6 basketball only schools and 10 football schools?

The Big12 has a history of allowing schools to join for one sport but there isn't one legitimately good reason for a major conference to add Gonzaga for basketball.

I think you could make a case for them joining the PAC??. I mean I'm not sure it's a good case, but you could make a case.

But the Big 12? That just reeks of desperation.

I think you could make a case for them joining the PAC??. I mean I'm not sure it's a good case, but you could make a case.

But the Big 12? That just reeks of desperation.
Maybe? I just don't know why any conference would want to dilute revenue and I can't imagine traveling to Morgantown and the middle of nowhere places in Iowa and Kansas are going to be appealing to a west coast kid.

Maybe? I just don't know why any conference would want to dilute revenue and I can't imagine traveling to Morgantown and the middle of nowhere places in Iowa and Kansas are going to be appealing to a west coast kid.
I wonder if it wouldn't be better for Gonzaga to just be an Independent. Then they can basically make their own conference and get their own ESPN contract

So SDSU to the PAC12 might be happening, any chance they try to snag Kansas and Gonzaga then call it a day? Have a 12 for football and 13 for basketball/olympic sports?

So SDSU to the PAC12 might be happening, any chance they try to snag Kansas and Gonzaga then call it a day? Have a 12 for football and 13 for basketball/olympic sports?

SDSU makes a little bit of sense if you're going to bring in a G5 school. Haven't they been brought up before, though? Kind of thought they were bitter about it or something.

SDSU makes a little bit of sense if you're going to bring in a G5 school. Haven't they been brought up before, though? Kind of thought they were bitter about it or something.
I think San Diego State and Fresno State always wanted in the PAC10/12 but the PAC10/12 never wanted them, mainly due to no one wanting 2 more teams California teams competing for California talent.

I think San Diego State and Fresno State always wanted in the PAC10/12 but the PAC10/12 never wanted them, mainly due to no one wanting 2 more teams California teams competing for California talent.
There was an internal California bias with Cal and UCLA from the more prestigious University of California system not wanting to associate with San Diego and Fresno from the less prestigious California State University system, but with UCLA bolting. the conference is looking for a life preserver.

They should add UNLV while they're at it.

There was an internal California bias with Cal and UCLA from the more prestigious University of California system not wanting to associate with San Diego and Fresno from the less prestigious California State University system, but with UCLA bolting. the conference is looking for a life preserver.

They should add UNLV while they're at it.
Was it really a bias or did Cal & UCLA, along with Washington, Oregon, Arizona and ASU not want two more California schools in the hunt for recruits.

Imagine that mid-February Gonzaga road trip from Spokane to Morgantown and then Orlando and then back to Spokane.

No thanks.

Reactions: pittdan77
Imagine that mid-February Gonzaga road trip from Spokane to Morgantown and then Orlando and then back to Spokane.

No thanks.
It would be more like Spokane to Cincinnati, next day Cincinnati to Pittsburgh then bus to Morgantown, next morning bus to Pittsburgh for flight to Orlando, and then Orlando to Lawrence to play the Jayhawks.

How about Montana State ski jumping.
I'm not trying to reply to anyone in particular but the Zags to Big 12 isn't happening. Tony Caridi on his radio program earlier in the weeks said it isn't happening and that it was more the Zags were doing the reaching out. It wasn't coming from the Big 12, which makes sense. Why would they.

I'm not trying to reply to anyone in particular but the Zags to Big 12 isn't happening. Tony Caridi on his radio program earlier in the weeks said it isn't happening and that it was more the Zags were doing the reaching out. It wasn't coming from the Big 12, which makes sense. Why would they.
Julius Page said WVU was going to the ACC during the basketball broadcast but I doubt that he had any inside info, just speaking as a fan.

Julius Page said WVU was going to the ACC during the basketball broadcast but I doubt that he had any inside info, just speaking as a fan.
I met my first Gonzaga graduate recently at work. Small sample size....... but holy crap. I will never think of myself or any Appalachian hillbilly as white trash again. This person is a whole other level of white trash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT