ADVERTISEMENT

Good draw I guess for Pitt MSOC

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
- #5 overall seed

- host Northern Illinois/Oakland winner Sunday. NIU won a decent soccer league (MAC) over WVU and Akron, the only 2 teams to beat a fully healthy Pitt team so I don't love that early round game but at home, they should win

- will likely play #12 Penn State in the Sweet 16. My God, start installing the portable bleachers. They could get 5000 for that game if the weather is ok. Pitt beat PSU 1-0 at their place in scoreline that didn't reflect the game. Pitt, if healthy, is significantly better.

- May have to travel to #4 Notre Dame in the Elite 8. They beat us twice when we were missing several key players. If fully healthy, we will win. If Petkovic doesn't play, we will not.

- #5 overall seed

- host Northern Illinois/Oakland winner Sunday. NIU won a decent soccer league (MAC) over WVU and Akron, the only 2 teams to beat a fully healthy Pitt team so I don't love that early round game but at home, they should win

- will likely play #12 Penn State in the Sweet 16. My God, start installing the portable bleachers. They could get 5000 for that game if the weather is ok. Pitt beat PSU 1-0 at their place in scoreline that didn't reflect the game. Pitt, if healthy, is significantly better.

- May have to travel to #4 Notre Dame in the Elite 8. They beat us twice when we were missing several key players. If fully healthy, we will win. If Petkovic doesn't play, we will not.
Love the draw, hate the Elite 8 game though. Does Pitt have tickets on sale?

Love the draw, hate the Elite 8 game though. Does Pitt have tickets on sale?

If we are healthy, I like ND has to play essentially a different Pitt team.

Pittsburgh Soccer Now wrote an article previewing Pitt in the NCAAT and made no mention on whether we will have the best player in the nation for it or not. Unbelievable.

That Pitt/PSU game would be epic in the Sweet 16. I attended the game earlier this year and follow both programs. Pitt was dominant in that earlier meeting. Honestly, I don't know that I've seen PSU look so lost in a game. Pitt deserved to win that one 4-0. That said, PSU is peaking right now. They are playing with a ton of confidence that they didn't have during that stretch earlier this year. That's a 50/50 game in my opinion.

If we are healthy, I like ND has to play essentially a different Pitt team.

Pittsburgh Soccer Now wrote an article previewing Pitt in the NCAAT and made no mention on whether we will have the best player in the nation for it or not. Unbelievable.
He’s a jabroni. But ask him the status of the Steel army’s most vocal dreambeater, and he will tell ya.

• Haha
Reactions: HOF Coach
That Pitt/PSU game would be epic in the Sweet 16. I attended the game earlier this year and follow both programs. Pitt was dominant in that earlier meeting. Honestly, I don't know that I've seen PSU look so lost in a game. Pitt deserved to win that one 4-0. That said, PSU is peaking right now. They are playing with a ton of confidence that they didn't have during that stretch earlier this year. That's a 50/50 game in my opinion.
Yikes. I attended a Pitt PSU game a few years ago before Pitt was a tourney team. The place was packed the whole way around the field. Come to think of it, it was the night the USA lost to T&T to miss out on the World Cup. Pitt outshot PSU 33-4 but only won 1-0 in OT I believe. Funny that I remember the shot stats but forget the final score. But the atmosphere was great.

the other night vs ND sounded dull and uninspired on tv.

Perhaps PSU is playing better now but Pitt is just so much more talented. Pitt will dominate the possession, shots, corners, etc but could PSU hit us on a counter and win 1-0, I guess but I just don't think they're very good. I think they'd finish 9th or 10th in the ACC.

I have been thinking about this for a while now. Undoubtedly, Vidovich is a great coach. He has he connections to recruit very good foreign players and has done so. I like his overall system with the attacking right and left backs.

However, he doesn’t impress me as much of a game day coach. We have lost 4 games that I have watched on TV to teams that followed last year’s Indiana formula to beat us and he didn’t appear to make any changes to counteract that. Thoughts?

My other comment on this year’s disappointing results is that last year I though Loeffelsend was the best player on the team. This year, he hasn’t been nearly as productive. My unscientific opinion is that he is focusing more on defense because of Bryce Washington being gone.

I have been thinking about this for a while now. Undoubtedly, Vidovich is a great coach. He has he connections to recruit very good foreign players and has done so. I like his overall system with the attacking right and left backs.

However, he doesn’t impress me as much of a game day coach. We have lost 4 games that I have watched on TV to teams that followed last year’s Indiana formula to beat us and he didn’t appear to make any changes to counteract that. Thoughts?

My other comment on this year’s disappointing results is that last year I though Loeffelsend was the best player on the team. This year, he hasn’t been nearly as productive. My unscientific opinion is that he is focusing more on defense because of Bryce Washington being gone.

Disagree on Loefflesand. Seems like he's playing even less "defense" than last year and getting forward even more.

I mean you are correct in how Pitt loses but that's his style. He has very good attacking players and has a team that is going to dominate possession and create a lot of chances. I'm not sure what else can be done to prevent losing a game on a counter. If he tells Mirkovic or Walti to play more defensive, that takes someone out of the attack and against the better teams, we arent scoring much as it is.

Reactions: CbgPanther
Perhaps PSU is playing better now but Pitt is just so much more talented. Pitt will dominate the possession, shots, corners, etc but could PSU hit us on a counter and win 1-0, I guess but I just don't think they're very good. I think they'd finish 9th or 10th in the ACC.
Pitt is much more talented and I think their deliberate possession style is a bad match up for PSU. All I am saying is, PSU is flying right now and I would expect them to provide a little more of a challenge than we saw way back in early September.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT