ADVERTISEMENT

Good portal change?

It’ll last until the first guy challenges the NCAA in court

I hate this excuse. Organizations are allowed to have rules. Being sarcastic but if Pitt lined up next year with 2 quarterbacks under center and 12 players on the field but the NCAA told them they couldn't do that, could the extra QB sue?

Reactions: 4382
I hate this excuse. Organizations are allowed to have rules. Being sarcastic but if Pitt lined up next year with 2 quarterbacks under center and 12 players on the field but the NCAA told them they couldn't do that, could the extra QB sue?
Even you have to realize how bad of an equivalency that is

Reactions: pittdan77
Even you have to realize how bad of an equivalency that is

I was being sarcastic but you do realize the NCAA has to be allowed to have some basic rules. Letting kids transfer once for free but making them sit a 2nd time unless they have a real, actual health reason seems pretty fair to me.

I agree with you. But somehow we fear lawsuits. And trust me, no one fears lawsuits more than schools.

I agree with you. But somehow we fear lawsuits. And trust me, no one fears lawsuits more than schools.

I dont think they fear a lawsuit in this case because worst case scenario is we are back to where we started with free transfers every year. Not sure I would understand a court's logic to overturn this.

Lets say a player from Florida who is attending Ohio State wants to transfer to Colorado for mental health but is ruled ineligible. He can still practice, train, and go to school for free but has to sit out a year, a year he gets back at the end. That seems extremely fair. The NCAA has to be allowed some rules to allow for competitive balance.

A few players use the portal to move “up” for a bigger stage, a la Jahmyr Gibbs going to Alabama. We have gotten a couple from MAC teams, like Mumpfield and Millin.

Most transfer “down” because of playing time. We’ve benefited way more from those over the years: Vinopal, Priestly, Miree, Krull, Kylan Johnson, McMillon, Flemister, D Davis, Peterman, DJ Turner, Minor (yeah I know, Maryland, but bear with me), Simon, Devonshire, etc.

So as much as losing Addison to USC sucked, make no mistake about who the restrictions are designed to help.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT