Good reporting by the NYT on the Vent problem

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by fkthomas, Mar 30, 2020.

1. fkthomas

fkthomas Board of Trustee
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I’m behind the paywall so I don’t have access to the entire article, but the NYT lays out the Vent problem in detail and seem to blame it on a gorilla of the medical device industry, Covidien. I have always hated Covidien because I always competed against them. They’ve owned the Pittsburgh market in my segments for decades even though the products in those segments are $hit. Doctors hate them but UPMC and Allegheny have always been contracted through Covidien due to pricing.

in any event, it all happened during the Obama Administration but the NYT doesn’t really find any fault with Obama...and probably they shouldn’t. But just imagine if this happened during a republican or trump administration

2. paschuler1970

paschuler1970 Junior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't see this as a political issue. We just need to get more to the hospitals...... This appears to be capitalism at work as in $$$$$....:eek:

3. fkthomas

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Your DNA is a bit different than some others. I’ll leave it at that.

ONGB likes this.
  4. TempleBAPittMPA

TempleBAPittMPA Chancellor
    Expand Collapse

Wait a minute! The name of this company is . . . what? Coincidence? Nobody see a conspiracy there? . . .

5. fkthomas

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Hahaha. Yeah. My iPhone always wants to autocorrect to covidien when I type covid. I wondered if that does it for everyone or just people like me who use the word Covidien on my phone every day. Btw they even made me hate the patriots and Red Sox even more with their sponsorship.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SoufOaklin4Life

SoufOaklin4Life Lair Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Cliff notes
    Obama took a gamble on a small ventilator only manufacturer - which had a prototypes and was beginning to scale production - at a fraction of the cost .

feds had essentially start over since covidian replaces the original team and then wanted a significantly higher price per unit .

5 year shelf life is a big part of the reason why the “blame Obama “ calls tend to go wanting