ADVERTISEMENT

Good response to the polls

pittbb80

Chancellor
Oct 9, 2004
I like Capels and JBs response to Jerry Ds question about the polls. I did find a capels comments about not playing the game to be interesting

And while they say it doesn’t matter you have to think it provides a bit extra motivation

Reactions: Drew1208
I like Capels and JBs response to Jerry Ds question about the polls. I did find a capels comments about not playing the game to be interesting

And while they say it doesn’t matter you have to think it provides a bit extra motivation

Capel acted like he didn't care then almost went off on how dumb he thinks it is

Fans are the only ones that care. My former coworkers who went to Purdue are all crapping their pants with the ranking because they just know in their heart something bad will happen with Purdue. So what does that ranking mean to them if it causes them grief?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
at least they acknowledge it.. Duzzi says they don't care then mentions it later

It’s kind of absurd miami is ahead of Pitt. Miami’s OOC was worse than pitt’s. They beat providence which was similar to us beating northwestern. They have a far worse loss than ours to GT. We have a better conference record. We beat them.

Success will be measured by whether or not they make the dance. The polls are mostly irrelevant.

As a fan, Im just appreciative of watching meaningful games combined with an entertaining style of basketball. The cherry on top is all the players seem really likeable and good dudes.

at least they acknowledge it.. Duzzi says they don't care then mentions it later
Yeah, I appreciate Capel’s approach. It’s one of my favorite Duzzisms - he immediately says that they don’t care about rankings, but then eventually circles back to bitch and moan for five minutes about how disrespectful it is to not be ranked.

Reactions: Wanstash21
Fans are the only ones that care. My former coworkers who went to Purdue are all crapping their pants with the ranking because they just know in their heart something bad will happen with Purdue. So what does that ranking mean to them if it causes them grief?
Superstition is stupid, a team never loses because they are ranked #1. Rankings are just opinion polls and never a 100% indicator of future results. I'd love Pitt to be ranked #1 again someday. Nobody ever lost a game because they were ranked #1.

How about the Nitter Basketball writer from PennLive voting Pitt #19 and giving Pitt big props. Nobody want to say anything good about THIS NITTER or you only want to mention them when they do something bad? :)

Best thing about college basketball is that the polls are largely irrelevant. Make the dance and win some games - you’ll likely be ranked in the final polls

How about the Nitter Basketball writer from PennLive voting Pitt #19 and giving Pitt big props. Nobody want to say anything good about THIS NITTER or you only want to mention them when they do something bad? :)
David Jones is a pretty good columnist. I grew up in Harrisburg reading his columns every week. He’s a Philly guy who loves writing about Big Five/Big East college basketball and college basketball in general, and seems to begrudgingly covers Penn State basketball and football as kind of a day job sort of deal. Penn State fans really don’t have a high opinion of him - which tells you a lot.

Superstition is stupid, a team never loses because they are ranked #1. Rankings are just opinion polls and never a 100% indicator of future results. I'd love Pitt to be ranked #1 again someday. Nobody ever lost a game because they were ranked #1.
I don’t know, if I’m remembering correctly I think we lost the very 1st game after being ranked #1 in whatever year it was we reached 1 twice. Maybe not superstitious but the opponent always comes out more pumped up to take down a #1 and the #1 team may have a little more pressure on them if they haven’t been there/done that before.

I don’t know, if I’m remembering correctly I think we lost the very 1st game after being ranked #1 in whatever year it was we reached 1 twice. Maybe not superstitious but the opponent always comes out more pumped up to take down a #1 and the #1 team may have a little more pressure on them if they haven’t been there/done that before.
But in college basketball, rankings matter little when trying to win a championship, you just need to get in and win 6 tournament games.

ADVERTISEMENT