ADVERTISEMENT

Good season?

cpc247

Redshirt
Jun 26, 2013
If Pitt wins out it’s a good season? I’d say yes given the qb play. 10 wins obviously was on the table with the schedule but I’m not sold because of how bad these wrs and qb are. To me Pitt will never be what we thought they could be this year until we use a modern offense with a dual threat qb. Thoughts?

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
If Pitt wins out it’s a good season? I’d say yes given the qb play. 10 wins obviously was on the table with the schedule but I’m not sold because of how bad these wrs and qb are. To me Pitt will never be what we thought they could be this year until we use a modern offense with a dual threat qb. Thoughts?
If you rattle off our W-L records over the last 20-30 years, pretty easy to say it’s a good season.

But if anyone can’t say it’s been a disappointing season, than I’d say those W-L records over the last 20-30 years have conditioned you to set the bar pretty darn low.

I said after UNC that only running the table could even approach salvaging respectability in this season. And that’s surprisingly still on the table. They didn’t exactly beat murderers row to get here, but you can only play who you are scheduled. Miami seems impossible to me simply due to the matchups, but perhaps we can make a big play or two early and they’ll fold. But if it ends up the typical Pitt-Miami game, we’re likely to be boat raced. It won’t matter much at this point either way, the season is what it is, but it would still be nice to salvage it. It is still possible, too. Credit the coaches and players for continuing to plug along.

Pop Warner duzz continues to rack up wins ..Here’s an idea run him off like you did Jamie. Pitt hoops is sooo much fun
Couldn’t agree more. We are a Syracuse and BC waiting to happen. 7-5 8-4 is what we need to strive for and hope for break out like year once a decade. Simply are not in a football rich region anymore and we don’t have the fan base or program resources to run with the big dogs. Those are all facts anyone who disputes these are either delusional or an absolute a$$hat.

having said that I believe the best mix of offense for an aggressive defensive style is an aggressive offense. We need to modernize that offense. Need to score to make up for big plays we are always going to yield.

I predicted 9-4 before the season, but I was being cautiously optimistic for much more. Still, preseason predictions are meaningless, because you have no idea how good the schedule will be. Will we have even defeated a top 40 team this year if Duke loses next week?

I can't call it a good season when we've beat no good teams and STILL haven't clicked on all (or most) cylinders even one time. But 9-4 would be an acceptable season. 7-6 or 8-5 is just Pitt being Pitt, only this time against a really bad schedule (I don't care if we played two P5 OOC teams... Most P5 teams do play 10 games against the P5, so that argument is stupid).

I think the fact that an 8-4 season would be considered a disappointment by many on here goes to show the growth of the program. I first started viewing this board in 2015 and most here were celebrating Narduzzi’s 8-4 finish.

We had so many pieces in place; I think that's why. If we go 8-4 next year, I'd probably be thrilled. This one just felt different. Like a rare window left ajar for us.

I think the fact that an 8-4 season would be considered a disappointment by many on here goes to show the growth of the program. I first started viewing this board in 2015 and most here were celebrating Narduzzi’s 8-4 finish.
In most years it would be ok, but the expectations this year were way higher. The schedule is also awful especially the ACC so 5-3 there is pretty bad. Add to it the ridiculous and boring offense and really it’s been pretty awful

If they were 8-4 next year I’d be pleasantly surprised but they should have won the coastal this year.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
So is this 8-4 season coming off of last year continuing that upward growth of the program or taking a step backwards?

Current recruiting says it’s a step backwards. But hey, there’s still that transfer portal to remedy that.

8-4 is meeting expectations. I guess I just thought the schedule would be a little harder, but even as a Slovis skeptic coming in, I never dreamed he'd be this bad, so that sort of balances things in a way. We only really played two good(and that might be generous for UNC, but I'll count them) teams though, and both were losses, so it's a disappointment in that regard. 8-4 with a big win is more fun that beating a bunch of crap teams.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Some would never claim success unless they win a natty. We saw it last year with the bowl game and "well they still lost three games."

Success is what you can make out of what you have, and what you have left. They need to beat Miami and finish 8-4, and that's a reasonable year with what they have.

Better QB play likely provides another 2 wins. They didn't get that.

We had so many pieces in place; I think that's why. If we go 8-4 next year, I'd probably be thrilled. This one just felt different. Like a rare window left ajar for us.
In most years it would be ok, but the expectations this year were way higher. The schedule is also awful especially the ACC so 5-3 there is pretty bad. Add to it the ridiculous and boring offense and really it’s been pretty awful

If they were 8-4 next year I’d be pleasantly surprised but they should have won the coastal this year.
So is this 8-4 season coming off of last year continuing that upward growth of the program or taking a step backwards?

Current recruiting says it’s a step backwards. But hey, there’s still that transfer portal to remedy that.
I agree with all of these. Personally, I think this season was a major disappointment because of what happened last season and what we thought we could do in 2022 to build off of it. Heck, this might beat 2003 and 2010 in terms of disappointment even if we finished 8-4.

With that being said, I think this season can be disappointing while at the same time the program as a whole improving. That’s worded kind of weird, but I believe they can be mutually exclusive. Steve Pederson didn’t understand this when he fired Wannstedt in 2010 (Just my opinion).

Really the only bad team Pitt lost too was GT, and they upset UNC too.
Season could have been much worse, like a loss to WVU and/or Duke.
Have to beat Miami tho, or I will consider it a bad season.

The expectations were probably reasonable in terms of record (9-3 to 10-2) but way off in terms of the potential on offense. The WR corps was gutted and was nothing more than mediocre. We replaced the 2021 Kenny Pickett with the 2019 version, only this one was immobile and much less accurate with the deep ball.

I agree with all of these. Personally, I think this season was a major disappointment because of what happened last season and what we thought we could do in 2022 to build off of it. Heck, this might beat 2003 and 2010 in terms of disappointment even if we finished 8-4.

With that being said, I think this season can be disappointing while at the same time the program as a whole improving. That’s worded kind of weird, but I believe they can be mutually exclusive. Steve Pederson didn’t understand this when he fired Wannstedt in 2010 (Just my opinion).
I think Pederson understood it, he just didn't care. He's meddlesome and he would rather fail with his hire than succeed with someone else's.

Not gonna lie, the Georgia Tech loss will forever be a shit stain on 2022, imo.

Western Michigan... A big win over Tennessee on the road the week before, overlooked and out schemed with an inexperienced defense. I get that one.

Georgia Tech... ACC opener at home after 2 weeks of tune up games, an experienced defense against a mistake prone pathetic offense. That loss was inexcusable.

Even if Pitt wins out it's not a good season in my opinion. But finishing 9-4 would definitely lead to some momentum.

I just can't get the sting of the bad losses out of my head and even the horrendous play in several games. This last Duke game was beyond terrible. I think these bad games will always be the norm under Duzz though and we just have to live with it as he does a good job overall.

As soon as Addison left, I said to myself it will cost us a game or two. He was a generational player that could literally carry the offense when needed. But I thought (and still think) the ceiling was higher for this team. No excuses to lose to GT and probably Louisville too but that loss isn't too terrible. And the wins just haven't "felt" good.

This isn’t the NFL where you can easily build a dynasty, especially now with transfers . Turns out the losses of KP and Addison exposed a few flaws (namely the OL and lack of receiving talent) many people were overlooking heading into this season. QB play was less than expected so I think this record is OK, all things considered. Doesn’t make me feel like we are going to see another 10 win season anytime soon but it is what it is.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
This isn’t the NFL where you can easily build a dynasty, especially now with transfers . Turns out the losses of KP and Addison exposed a few flaws (namely the OL and lack of receiving talent) many people were overlooking heading into this season. QB play was less than expected so I think this record is OK, all things considered. Doesn’t make me feel like we are going to see another 10 win season anytime soon but it is what it is.
Believe me va tech and uva would trade coaches for pop Duzz in a minute

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
These guys need a reality check pretty soon they will “ Jamie” the program . Running off pop duzz
It's hard to say what the future holds, but if Duzz produces these types of seasons for another 4 or 5 years, without an offense that is a little more fun to watch, he will also be viewed as expendable and probably pushed out. Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's just the nature of the business.

How is GT such a stain. The just beat no. #13 North Carolina on the road. You better rethink that one. Pre-season magazines are read for entertainment. They are meaningless. College football is hard to predict with kids these ages, player transfers and coaching hires. Pitt took one of the best teams in the country Tennessee to OT and should have won left 17 points on the field. They beat 20th ranked Syracuse and a 7-3 Duke team. If Pitt goes 9-4 that is a good season even with a below level of offense this year. Special teams have made many mistakes. Plus, turnovers in the red zone cost Pitt a couple games. DUZZ is a good coach has a great team culture. Get the offense figured out they'll be fine. H2P!

It's hard to say what the future holds, but if Duzz produces these types of seasons for another 4 or 5 years, without an offense that is a little more fun to watch, he will also be viewed as expendable and probably pushed out. Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's just the nature of the business.
If he keeps this up there will be a statue of pop Duzz on the cathedral lawn

How is GT such a stain. The just beat no. #13 North Carolina on the road. You better rethink that one. Pre-season magazines are read for entertainment. They are meaningless. College football is hard to predict with kids these ages, player transfers and coaching hires. Pitt took one of the best teams in the country Tennessee to OT and should have won left 17 points on the field. They beat 20th ranked Syracuse and a 7-3 Duke team. If Pitt goes 9-4 that is a good season even with a below level of offense this year. Special teams have made many mistakes. Plus, turnovers in the red zone cost Pitt a couple games. DUZZ is a good coach has a great team culture. Get the offense figured out they'll be fine. H2P!

GaTech is a 33 point underdog to GA this weekend. I usually don't bet but I'm tempted. GA didn't exactly roll this past weekend and Tech coming off a big road win.

Tennessee is a good team. They aren't one of the best teams in the nation. You can't be one of the best teams in the nation and let South Carolina hang 60 on you. One of the most flashy offenses in the nation, sure. One of the best teams, no.

Georgia Tech was a trainwreck when they rolled into Pittsburgh. They are playing with much more confidence now, thanks in part to thier win at Pitt. Had Pitt just been able to muster any sort of a lead, and make Tech play from behind, that game was over. Pitt couldn't do it. A little different for UNC. They have the Coastal wrapped up. They really had very little to play for.

9-4 and ranked, not a disappointment. Even 9 wins without a rank would be a success as that would mean closing out season with 5 wins in a row. There have been exactly 4 seasons that had 9 wins or more in the 40 years since Sherrill left. Yeah with better QB play it could have been another trip to Charlotte, but who knew it would play out like that?

The OL has been fine, and frankly I've been very encouraged by their play regarding next year. I honestly don't know where this bagging on the OL comes from this year. They're running the ball pretty well, and Slovis has been afforded all day to throw in many games this season. Ignore that he's a glorified statue and tell me how many times was he touched last week?

If Pitt wins out, I'm pretty sure you can say the season is a disappointment AND that the team has done pretty well, all things considered. QB play alone should have doomed this team to a four win season. Defense and running game has carried the team this year.
Yeah, you’re pretty much saying the same thing I said but more diplomatically. Good season but I find it hard not to consider it a disappointing season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT