ADVERTISEMENT

Good season?

It's been a weird year. If we win out against Miami and then (finally) win our bowl game, a 9-4 is OK, but just OK. The biggest benefit is that we didn't have an absolute train wreck season. So, if a good season is defined as one that isn't an absolute train wreck I suppose we've had a good season.

The real questions is "why does it matter?" We've demonstrated zero ability to capitalize on our ACC championship on the recruiting trail. If we're being honest, the program is stuck right about where it is going to be for the foreseeable future (with some real risk of falling further behind if certain conference restructuring plays out poorly for Pitt). The reality is that 7-5, 8-4, occasionally 9-3 and very rarely 10 wins is who this program is, which is why my motto for being a Pitt fan is "low expectations are the key to happiness"... simply define 7+ wins as a good year and you'll probably be OK. Any higher expectations and you are almost guaranteed to be disappointed.

Cruzer

Tennessee isn't a top 4 team. Had Pitt or Alabama had been able to kick a FG, that ragtag outfit has 4 losses.

They were curb-stomped twice. Just absolute brutal beat downs in both their losses.
“ragtag” you are nuts . Hooker was having a heisman year amd their defense literally beat us up . Not just slovis but any number of players

Particularly in that they (coaches and players) went into a month long funk after that loss that totally finished off the season with the resulting LV and UNC losses. GT was not merely a bad one night stand, it came with gonorrhea. Neither of those were unwinnable games by any means, we were in them, but they were lost because the team had its heads up its tail still resonating from the GT loss. Recover like they were able to do after a similarly bad WMU loss in 2021, have us coming in to this weekend with a really impressive winning streak at 9-2, it would be far more tolerable. (Of course it would make the likely Miami beat down more painful, lol.)

I think the people disappointed are probably more so disappointed in what the season means if you’re projecting forward into the future.

If you had the hope that last season was evidence of a rise in the quality of the program. It was going to create recruiting momentum. Pitt would come out this season and be a legit damn good team that competes for the ACC. And that builds even more momentum on the recruiting trail, etc., and all of this results in an elevation of the program. If that was your hope, then the season is maybe kind of a gut punch right.

If your expectations are a little more grounded in terms of where the program is and what it could turn into absent an insane influx of money, you’re probably not as gutted.

I wonder if some of the constantly complaining fans on the football board were the same one on the Basketball Board.

Some wanted Jamie Dixon to be let go. How did that work out for Pitt Basketball. How many more years before we get an NCAA Tournament invite.

Wisconsin just let their HC go so lets see how it works out for them.

Was hoping for 10-3 season but would consider a 9-4 a success.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I think part of what is so unsatisfying about this season is we haven't really outplayed anybody as much as we've simply out-talented them. At least on offense, that is. Like, we didn't make big time plays to go out and take a win (maybe you could argue Izzy's long runs against VT were the exception... but I'd say that was also a matter of being much more talented). Our o-line simply got enough push for us to be able to run the ball, complete a few short passes here and there, and bleed them out. It's really made for minimal excitement.

I think part of what is so unsatisfying about this season is we haven't really outplayed anybody as much as we've simply out-talented them. At least on offense, that is. Like, we didn't make big time plays to go out and take a win (maybe you could argue Izzy's long runs against VT were the exception... but I'd say that was also a matter of being much more talented). Our o-line simply got enough push for us to be able to run the ball, complete a few short passes here and there, and bleed them out. It's really made for minimal excitement.
Get rid of the turnovers that Slovis was a part of and this team probably has two losses and the whole season feels different. He really fell apart. If Patti is healthy enough to play, and I don't know if that is the case, I consider sticking with Slovis to be the most puzzling decision Narduzzi has made.

Get rid of the turnovers that Slovis was a part of and this team probably has two losses and the whole season feels different. He really fell apart. If Patti is healthy enough to play, and I don't know if that is the case, I consider sticking with Slovis to be the most puzzling decision Narduzzi has made.

I have to say... we could have easily been undefeated last season, but I honestly don't play the "what if" game very often with 2021. I'm completely satisfied with it.

But what makes this season different is two of the games we lost were against teams that aren't very good AND didn't play very well. That just pisses me off. The two VD fumbles against GT (among other plays), The Slovis picks and Hammond fumble against Louisville... I mean, those shouldn't have just been wins; they should have been comfortable wins.

If we beat NC State and BC in 2020 and finished 8-3, I would have completely accepted that, because it'd have been exactly who we were. The three losses would have left pretty much no doubt. But this season just feels like we should have been more. And I've been a fan long enough to know that we haven't been this close to 10+ wins very often. Like I said, I think we had more talent than every team with the exception of one or maybe two.

Reactions: pittdan77
I have to say... we could have easily been undefeated last season, but I honestly don't play the "what if" game very often with 2021. I'm completely satisfied with it.

But what makes this season different is two of the games we lost were against teams that aren't very good AND didn't play very well. That just pisses me off. The two VD fumbles against GT (among other plays), The Slovis picks and Hammond fumble against Louisville... I mean, those shouldn't have just been wins; they should have been comfortable wins.

If we beat NC State and BC in 2020 and finished 8-3, I would have completely accepted that, because it'd have been exactly who we were. The three losses would have left pretty much no doubt. But this season just feels like we should have been more. And I've been a fan long enough to know that we haven't been this close to 10+ wins very often. Like I said, I think we had more talent than every team with the exception of one or maybe two.
These kinds of seasons happen. It takes some luck to have a season like last year. Tennessee is finding that out.

These kinds of seasons happen. It takes some luck to have a season like last year. Tennessee is finding that out.

See, I don't think it would even take luck to be 10-2 this season. We lost at least two games we should have won easily and probably one more we should have just won. What game did we win that we should have lost? Maybe WVU? That just feels very unbalanced.

2016... sure. Could have lost to PSU, GT, Clemson; could have beat UNC, OK State, VT.

Last year... Could have lost to Tennessee and MAYBE Virginia or Clemson (if Shipley catches that pass, but I still think we outplayed them); could have beat WMU, Miami, and MSU. I don't say we could have lost to UNC, because if Mathis doesn't fall down before halftime that's never a game.

But the pendulum feels skewed in 2022, and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The Louisville game happens to every team, but I don't know about the GT game. First ACC game after two non-P5 opponents, lame duck coach just got the axe, them having to come up here in bad weather for a late game... it wasn't like a trap game. We almost had to try to drop 5 interceptions, not be able to catch a pass, fumble multiple times, etc.

As for the season... Yes, Slovis has sucked. But he's not some inherent hand we were dealt and had to play. Narduzzi actively went out and put together the Slovis + Cignetti combination, which couldn't be any less compatible and has, above all else, destroyed this season. So that is the primary source of my disappointment.
The GT game was all about emotion. Pitt players seemed to think they could beat an inferior team without making the effort and GT was high with a new coach. It happens all the time in college FB.

The season is far from destroyed. It could still be a very good season.

The biggest problem going forward is pat’s preferred offensive philosophy. Our defense has been excellent for the most part this year, while the offense has been mostly awful. What happens if the defense takes a step back next year? Without that defense we are easily looking at 5-7 or Worse.

And yes, pat gets credit for the great defense, but also needs to own that the conservative offense cost us the GT and Louisville game, maybe UNC, and kept other games like duke, WMU, and Syracuse WAYYYYY too close.
The "conservative" offense didn't cost us anything. The players' failure to execute a pro offense is what cost us.

The GT game was all about emotion. Pitt players seemed to think they could beat an inferior team without making the effort and GT was high with a new coach. It happens all the time in college FB.

The season is far from destroyed. It could still be a very good season.

Not to me. Not unless Narduzzi gets his pilot license and drives us through a wormhole and we can redo everything once we get to ACC play.

9-4 would certainly be acceptable, though. Somewhat unsatisfying, but acceptable. I hope we get to it.

Reactions: pittmeister
We finish 8-4 it’s a good season
We finish 7-4 it’s a mediocre season

The crap bowl game doesn’t matter and duz’s record proves it

Not to me. Not unless Narduzzi gets his pilot license and drives us through a wormhole and we can redo everything once we get to ACC play.

9-4 would certainly be acceptable, though. Somewhat unsatisfying, but acceptable. I hope we get to it.
Lyke and the Pitt accountants should really hope we do, it will give at least something to sell in the season ticket package and donations pitches. “Forget the middle of the season; we ran the table to finish it!”
Otherwise, what appeal does she use? “Remember the excitement when we beat Duke after they botched the Philly Special on the two pointer?”

Lyke and the Pitt accountants should really hope we do, it will give at least something to sell in the season ticket package and donations pitches. “Forget the middle of the season; we ran the table to finish it!”
Otherwise, what appeal does she use? “Remember the excitement when we beat Duke after they botched the Philly Special on the two pointer?”

Lyke and company do little marketing to begin with. At least Pederson tried, even though sometimes it was kind of corny.

Lyke and company do little marketing to begin with. At least Pederson tried, even though sometimes it was kind of corny.
I think they send some decent materials out at least to middle of the road PC members like myself . They definitely have toned down the electronic appeals they had been doing though.

But honestly I think they are better off with the less is more approach especially when there is little to sell. It might actually be wise to not irritate people who are already disappointed by the results of the last campaign… “rah rah rah, catch the excitement for 2023!” The excitement … of 9 touchdown passes in 11 games? Hmm maybe my money and time would be better off somewhere else…like bowling…

you forget how you posted likewise concerning Dixon
Huh ?
I criticized his passive and sagging defense of why we struggled in the ncaat

I also knew he was a great coach who we couldn’t replace

Narduzzi delivers similar results as other coaches over the past 30 years
But I sure enjoyed last year .
We’ve know regressed back to the mean

If Pitt wins out it’s a good season? I’d say yes given the qb play. 10 wins obviously was on the table with the schedule but I’m not sold because of how bad these wrs and qb are. To me Pitt will never be what we thought they could be this year until we use a modern offense with a dual threat qb. Thoughts?

Did it ever occur to you that Narduzzi wants to run an offense that is suited to his defensive scheme and personnel? Controlling the ball and dominating time of possession complements a lockdown defense. A number of games that we lost this year were because the defense simply wore out at the end of the game. Even if he wanted a quick strike offense, though, you need speed at all positions. We get a Qadree Henderson or Maurice Ffrench on occasion, but it's hard to beat out the southern schools for the top burners. We're more likely to recruit a Conner, Ollison, or Abanikanda than an Addison.

Cignetti's scheme also wouldn't appear so antiquated if we had a Billy Stull or Tino Sunseri level quarterback and more reliable receivers. Slovis really struggles to read his progressions and improvise. He has virtually no ability to tuck and run. And it's maddening when he manages to put a pass on the money that is dropped, or when 3rd and 2 becomes 3rd and 7 because somebody moves on the line. Happens way too often, and that's not scheme.

So is this 8-4 season coming off of last year continuing that upward growth of the program or taking a step backwards?

Current recruiting says it’s a step backwards. But hey, there’s still that transfer portal to remedy that.
Here's going to be the problem with us relying on the portal,as long as cignetti is here running this dinosaur offense nobody is going to want to play here ,the defense maybe

I'll be impressed if Pitt finishes 8-4 after sitting at 4-4 a few weeks ago. On the whole, the season was a disappointment. I expected a 9-3 regular season with losses to Tennessee and UNC along with the usual slipup most teams have.

Beyond the record, it is disappointing because of the play on the field.

1. The QB play was beyond underwhelming. I didn't expect Slovis to come in here and be Kenny Pickett, but I did expect a veteran QB capable of taking control of a game when needed.

2. Disappointing receivers, particularly Mumpfield. Again, I didn't expect a star, however, I did think he'd establish himself as the team's No. 1 option as the season progressed, or at the very least a good No. 2. You can put Bartholomew in this group as well. Basically a non-factor in the offense.

3. The offensive line, a veteran group, did not perform to the hype.

4. Speaking of lines, the defensive line didn't live up to expectations either.

5. Recruiting didn't get a bump. I know Pitt isn't in the upper echelon of recruiting ability, but still, they need to do better.

Overall, if you don't look at the record and only the play on the field, this team is no where near a program that could content for a conference title year in and out. The offense isn't consistent enough, too many defensive lapses, lack of discipline when it comes to penalties. I wanted this program to take a step forward in establishing itself as a team to beat in the ACC and instead it fell back.

Reactions: Parkview57
I'll be impressed if Pitt finishes 8-4 after sitting at 4-4 a few weeks ago. On the whole, the season was a disappointment. I expected a 9-3 regular season with losses to Tennessee and UNC along with the usual slipup most teams have.

Beyond the record, it is disappointing because of the play on the field.

1. The QB play was beyond underwhelming. I didn't expect Slovis to come in here and be Kenny Pickett, but I did expect a veteran QB capable of taking control of a game when needed.

2. Disappointing receivers, particularly Mumpfield. Again, I didn't expect a star, however, I did think he'd establish himself as the team's No. 1 option as the season progressed, or at the very least a good No. 2. You can put Bartholomew in this group as well. Basically a non-factor in the offense.

3. The offensive line, a veteran group, did not perform to the hype.

4. Speaking of lines, the defensive line didn't live up to expectations either.

5. Recruiting didn't get a bump. I know Pitt isn't in the upper echelon of recruiting ability, but still, they need to do better.

Overall, if you don't look at the record and only the play on the field, this team is no where near a program that could content for a conference title year in and out. The offense isn't consistent enough, too many defensive lapses, lack of discipline when it comes to penalties. I wanted this program to take a step forward in establishing itself as a team to beat in the ACC and instead it fell back.
Excellent post. From the first point to the end.

Reactions: Burgh15
Just vibes online - got it
Leave it to us boosters and season ticket holders to carry the weight
As I have said many times, college sports are extra-curricular to me. I have never donated to a college sport and never will. I used to donate to the academic side, y'know the primary reason for a school's existence, but stopped doing that when I saw things I didn't like.

Last edited:

“9-4 would certainly be acceptable, though. Somewhat unsatisfying, but acceptable. I hope we get to it.”

THIS….

“9-4 would certainly be acceptable, though. Somewhat unsatisfying, but acceptable. I hope we get to it.”

THIS….

yeah I agree with wolf here. 9-4 can be both successful and a little disappointing. Just like 9-4 in 2008.

Unfortunately bowls are a joke anymore and who knows which players even suit up. But that's the hole that was dug, needing a bowl win to get to 9. So this bowl takes on a whole lot more meaning.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittmeister
Pitt has a small, cheap fanbase that attacks their own. But yet some of you think 9-4 is unacceptable. Pitt’s fanbase is a joke and the single biggest obstacle to Pitt achieving success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT