ADVERTISEMENT

GOV WOLF, What exactly is a non essential business?

I mean,

When the Mount Lebanon Car Wash is open for business, it makes one wonder what qualifies as non essential?

In a moment of heightened anxiety everywhere, how in the world does a freaking car wash get around this order?
I hear ya. I have a garage door that broke a spring and a wheel off the track and I can’t get anyone to come fix it. Amazing some of the businesses still operating.

I hear ya. I have a garage door that broke a spring and a wheel off the track and I can’t get anyone to come fix it. Amazing some of the businesses still operating.
your garage guy as well as the car wash as well as all non group related businesses should both be allowed to be open.but alas, that is not the case.....

btw...don't piss around with garage springs on your own. Wait for the pro or have your wife take a stab at it.......

Last edited:
I mean,

When the Mount Lebanon Car Wash is open for business, it makes one wonder what qualifies as non essential?

In a moment of heightened anxiety everywhere, how in the world does a freaking car wash get around this order?
There is a very detailed list on the state's website, and although "car wash" is not listed specifically, it might be classified under "automotive repair and maintenance," which is allowable.

There is a very detailed list on the state's website, and although "car wash" is not listed specifically, it might be classified under "automotive repair and maintenance," which is allowable.

I dont doubt your word,

but really?? Surely auto repair is far more essential than "the Deluxe" at the car wash.

your garage guy as well as the car wash as well as all non group related businesses should both be allowed to be open.but alas, that is not the case.....

btw...don't piss around with garage springs on your own. Wait for the pro or have your wife take a stab at it.......
I hear ya. I had this issue one other time and know not to mess around with it. I was able to find a local handyman who came over and at least helped to get it down to the ground and secured in place, but it could be weeks or months before I can get it fixed.

I dont doubt your word,

but really?? Surely auto repair is far more essential than "the Deluxe" at the car wash.
That is just speculation on my part, since car wash is not a listed business category. There are no doubt other businesses that do not exactly fit into one of the listed categories, since it is difficult to list every kind of business in the state.

If you own a business and want to keep it open, do so. The state police will let you know if they think you're essential or not.

Waste Management is collecting trash but just the bare minimum and nothing bulk as they usually do. Can't figure that one out.

Supposed to be only life-sustaining. Car Wash companies shouldn't be open but if its an automated machine with no or 1 employee, what could it hurt?

As long as grocery stores are open, I don't know... it kind of makes some of the other stuff just feel like it's for show. I'm of the opinion that we should strive to keep everything open that we can within reason. A car wash would fall under that category, in my opinion... it's a pretty safe business model. As are golf courses (as someone mentioned above) as long as you're not letting people use carts.

Waste Management is collecting trash but just the bare minimum and nothing bulk as they usually do. Can't figure that one out.
Sarcasm, I hope.

Because it wouldn't be good for any other viruses or rodents to emerge from a build up of trash in the neighborhood.

I mean,

Car wash may be ok if they offer other services like oil change.

Yeah but they are already touching bags which are probably far worse.
There are a million rules that contradict each other with how we are handling this. People shame others for stepping out of their houses but a minute later, are telling us it’s our civic duty to order take out food.

We are killing our elderly neighbors by poking our heads out the window but should eat take out food from the local grease pit.

I see people wearing latex gloves, touching everything in sight but not changing gloves. They are basically adding to the issue while smugly thinking they are helping.

none of any of this makes sense.

Reactions: Parkview57
There are a million rules that contradict each other with how we are handling this. People shame others for stepping out of their houses but a minute later, are telling us it’s our civic duty to order take out food.

We are killing our elderly neighbors by poking our heads out the window but should eat take out food from the local grease pit.

I see people wearing latex gloves, touching everything in sight but not changing gloves. They are basically adding to the issue while smugly thinking they are helping.

It really isn't that complicated.
Use you head and common sense. Learn what it is that you're trying to avoid and how it is transmitted.
Stay a respectable distance (6') away from others.
If sick, stay home.
Wash hands and minimize hands to face.

Limit your visits to store. If you're high risk, get groceries delivered or get curbside pickup. Shop for other things on line. Wash hands or use sanitizer.

OK to go for rides in car, drive thru windows, walks, bike rides, yard work, etc. Just keep the requisite distance from others.

If you are older, have underlying health issues, or are susceptible for some other reason, do the above on steroids!

I doubt your post was serious, but whatever...and when in the midst of a pandemic with no proven treatment or vaccine, it makes perfect sense.

It really isn't that complicated.
Use you head and common sense. Learn what it is that you're trying to avoid and how it is transmitted.
Stay a respectable distance (6') away from others.
If sick, stay home.
Wash hands and minimize hands to face.

Limit your visits to store. If you're high risk, get groceries delivered or get curbside pickup. Shop for other things on line. Wash hands or use sanitizer.

OK to go for rides in car, drive thru windows, walks, bike rides, yard work, etc. Just keep the requisite distance from others.

If you are older, have underlying health issues, or are susceptible for some other reason, do the above on steroids!

I doubt your post was serious, but whatever...and when in the midst of a pandemic with no proven treatment or vaccine, it makes perfect sense.
Everything you said, I agree with. I think you need to tell the politicians this, the people publically shaming others for going outside, the towns that are enforcing curfews.

They are the ones that need to know this, not me.

Everything you said, I agree with. I think you need to tell the politicians this, the people publically shaming others for going outside, the towns that are enforcing curfews.

They are the ones that need to know this, not me.
I've been out plenty and have yet to be shamed.
Maybe it's just you?

I've been out plenty and have yet to be shamed.
Maybe it's just you?
lol, maybe. people calling 911 on people going outside.. it's happening my man, people are nuts.. townsfolk in Maine cut a tree down and put it in someone else's driveway to prohibit them from going outside..

trust me, there are a lot of people who are screaming at others for stepping foot outside.. im not making this up.. common sense like you said is the answer, but that's not good enough for a lot of people..

Makes sense since there's only 1 person per truck at the moment.
Honestly, that should be the rule always. Furniture, appliances. That is not your typical curb side garbage. Garbage pick up should never take this stuff.

most townships are switching over to those larger cans that get picked up by robotic arm. If it can’t fit in that approved canister, tough luck.

People that leave this crap out and expect it picked up are lazy scumbags. You leave out a couch, recliner, some sort of large appliance and you complain when it’s still there after the truck leaves, you are a POS.

Reactions: PantherDDS
And while I am on the subject,

A guy I work with lives off of 30 in Forest Hills. He was at the walmart in Norrh Verailles when he noticed that the retired, gentleman greeter was wearing gloves,

And the girl behind the pizza fast food counter inside the walmart was not.

Car wash may be ok if they offer other services like oil change.

Agreed,

But anyone who lives in the south hills knows the mt lebo car wash. They offer no such service.

And, to SMF's point, the girl in the booth takes your money or card. She may have gloves on but so what?

I get pissed because like everyone here I take this seriously. People can't make a living yet you can still get the car washed.

Agreed,

But anyone who lives in the south hills knows the mt lebo car wash. They offer no such service.

And, to SMF's point, the girl in the booth takes your money or card. She may have gloves on but so what?

I get pissed because like everyone here I take this seriously. People can't make a living yet you can still get the car washed.

And ironically enough, once the weather turns, which is only days away,

I would think that washing the car in the driveway would be a welcome diversion from all this stuff.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
And while I am on the subject,

A guy I work with lives off of 30 in Forest Hills. He was at the walmart in Norrh Verailles when he noticed that the retired, gentleman greeter was wearing gloves,

And the girl behind the pizza fast food counter inside the walmart was not.
Dude, I’m telling you, these people that are wearing gloves are cross contaminating and are much more detrimental then good old fashioned soap.

drive thru at Wendy’s, chick has gloves on. Touching everything, food, money, register, debit cards, not changing gloves and obviously not washing hands. You tell me you think that’s not spreading any and all germs and viruses?

Last edited:

It mostly makes sense.

It is something WAY out of the norm of what we have had to deal with on VERY short notice.

The biggest issue is the regionalization of it - DC is all over the place and did not get out in front of it (keeping it as honest yet watered down as possible), leaving it up to the states to figure things out on their own.

Some of that is OK, most states are handing it all as well as can be expected, but just too disjointed.

People are starting to get the breaking the curve concept. It is the US so we have indulge independent idiosyncrasies it is not the greatest thing ever.

Just have to understand we need to stay buttoned up for a couple months to get a handle on it, then realize we are not going to just return to what it was the day before right away, and that we might have to be able to do more disciplined and isolated closures if hot spots pop up until we have immunizations for it.

Honestly, that should be the rule always. Furniture, appliances. That is not your typical curb side garbage. Garbage pick up should never take this stuff.

most townships are switching over to those larger cans that get picked up by robotic arm. If it can’t fit in that approved canister, tough luck.

People that leave this crap out and expect it picked up are lazy scumbags. You leave out a couch, recliner, some sort of large appliance and you complain when it’s still there after the truck leaves, you are a POS.
The best way to get rid of stuff like that is to set it out with a sign saying "for sale. $100".
Then someone will just "steal" it and your problem is solved.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

People wear gloves to protect themselves, not you. As long as they stay safe what happens to you is of little concern.

People wear gloves to protect themselves, not you. As long as they stay safe what happens to you is of little concern.
So people that wear masks are protecting us and not themselves and people who wear gloves are protecting themselves and harming us. Got it.

if they wear masks and gloves, does the good outweigh the bad, for us? It’d be funny if it’s a net loss and they look like clowns doing so.

lol, maybe. people calling 911 on people going outside.. it's happening my man, people are nuts.. townsfolk in Maine cut a tree down and put it in someone else's driveway to prohibit them from going outside..

trust me, there are a lot of people who are screaming at others for stepping foot outside.. im not making this up.. common sense like you said is the answer, but that's not good enough for a lot of people..
Sounds like the Russian system of ratting on your neighbors.

So people that wear masks are protecting us

People don't wear masks to protect you either. If they have a mask on they can't breath in any of your corona-germs.

Not to be a smart ass, but it's called personal protective equipment for a reason. It protects your person, not someone else.

People don't wear masks to protect you either. If they have a mask on they can't breath in any of your corona-germs.

Not to be a smart ass, but it's called personal protective equipment for a reason. It protects your person, not someone else.
I think you need to do some research on these masks that people are wearing around. It’s not protecting them, at all.

All these things are doing is maybe slowing down a sick person from coughing on the general public. Very little if any safety for the person wearing it.

I think you need to do some research on these masks that people are wearing around. It’s not protecting them, at all.

Which is why the WHO says that people shouldn't wear them. Or at least the "regular" masks. The medical masks, like the N95 masks, do protect people. The people wearing them.

"N95 respirators and surgical masks (face masks) are examples of personal protective equipment that are used to protect the wearer from airborne particles and from liquid contaminating the face."

Which is why the WHO says that people shouldn't wear them. Or at least the "regular" masks. The medical masks, like the N95 masks, do protect people. The people wearing them.

"N95 respirators and surgical masks (face masks) are examples of personal protective equipment that are used to protect the wearer from airborne particles and from liquid contaminating the face."
Yes but these aren’t the ones being worn.

ADVERTISEMENT