ADVERTISEMENT

Granddaughter’s 1st Pitt VB match

Austin26

Walk-on
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2011
Last fall my now 14 year-old granddaughter started playing volleyball, first on her school team and then on a club team. As a responsible grandparent I insured she became a big Pitt VB fan and promised her a trip to a Pitt match if she kept playing. She’s become passionate about the sport and we’ll be coming to Oakland on Sunday, 9/22 for the Marquette match. Given it’s my first VB match as well, IIwould appreciate some Iguidance on a few questions:
1) What is the best parking strategy? The ticket office guy said park on Champions Ave? Park on lower campus and walk to Fitz?
2). The doors open at noon but when should we be there to be part of the first general admission wave to get good seats?
3) Is there an opportunity after the match to interact with any of the players? (Photos/autographs))
Thanks in advance for your input.
Great win last night.
H2P!

Reactions: pittdan77
I have parked in the lot acoss the street from Fitz, it's hetic geting out of there. I have also parked on the street own the hill on Allequippa St, that worked out well. Just make sure you park past the signs that require a parking permit

Reactions: Austin26
Last fall my now 14 year-old granddaughter started playing volleyball, first on her school team and then on a club team. As a responsible grandparent I insured she became a big Pitt VB fan and promised her a trip to a Pitt match if she kept playing. She’s become passionate about the sport and we’ll be coming to Oakland on Sunday, 9/22 for the Marquette match. Given it’s my first VB match as well, IIwould appreciate some Iguidance on a few questions:
1) What is the best parking strategy? The ticket office guy said park on Champions Ave? Park on lower campus and walk to Fitz?
2). The doors open at noon but when should we be there to be part of the first general admission wave to get good seats?
3) Is there an opportunity after the match to interact with any of the players? (Photos/autographs))
Great win last night.
H2P!
Allequippa St is a good option. Also city parking is free on Sunday so you can park on Robinson St ext past Trees Hall between the baseball field and the parking garage. Make sure you park facing downhill towards Centre Ave to make a quick getaway after the match. I park there for Sunday bball games and never have any issues getting a space.

Great win last night.
H2P!
That's awesome for her. Enjoy every second of it. Try to make some club tournament games, too. Some are better than others for a fan so hopefully she'll play somewhere you can watch comfortably.

That's awesome for her. Enjoy every second of it. Try to make some club tournament games, too. Some are better than others for a fan so hopefully she'll play somewhere you can watch comfortably.
I went to several of her tournaments during the winter. A great time. My son said he is forever grateful that his daughter chose volleyball to play and not field hockey or soccer.

Reactions: pittdan77
I went to several of her tournaments during the winter. A great time. My son said he is forever grateful that his daughter chose volleyball to play and not field hockey or soccer.
Oh yeah. We were at a tournament in Downingtown two years ago. Big sports facility with both indoor and outdoor facilities. Between games I watched out the door as the soccer parents sat in 40 degree, rainy weather. I took my hoodie off and went back to where we were sitting.

My only gripe about some of the tournaments is that you have to pile into tight spaces with lawn chairs to watch. Love the tournaments like the one at the convention center in Pittsburgh where there is plenty of room to walk and comfortable seating.

I saw in another thread that she's a middle. Same as my U-16 daughter except my kid is only 5'9" and can jump a little. She just plays the position well. My only advice for your son would be to find someone who can do sports specific weight training. Not that you need her to bulk up but middles like to step under the net and abuse each others legs. Especially at the baby giraffe ages like 14. Our senior all-district middle just blew her knee out and another rolled her ankle in the same game. So much for that playoff run.

Great win last night.
H2P!
Should be fun.Hope she enjoys it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT