ADVERTISEMENT

Group B thoughts

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Terrible foul by Zimmerman. No need there. The US went from almost definitely through to a really nervy matchday 3 where the US will have to take 3 from Iran and get help from England, who will be playing its B team vs Wales.

It'll probably look like this going into Matchday 3

England 6
Wales 4 +2 GD
USA 1 -2 GD
Iran 0

The US is in such a tough spot because if they lose by multiple goals vs England, they are all but done assuming Wales beats Iran. Have to root hard for Iran.

The US is going to have to beat Iran by multiple goals and hope Wales loses by multiple goals when all they need to do is sit back and play for a draw or a 1-0 loss vs an England team who will be resting all their starters.

Very very disappointing

Terrible foul by Zimmerman. No need there. The US went from almost definitely through to a really nervy matchday 3 where the US will have to take 3 from Iran and get help from England, who will be playing its B team vs Wales.

It'll probably look like this going into Matchday 3

England 6
Wales 4 +2 GD
USA 1 -2 GD
Iran 0

The US is in such a tough spot because if they lose by multiple goals vs England, they are all but done assuming Wales beats Iran. Have to root hard for Iran.

The US is going to have to beat Iran by multiple goals and hope Wales loses by multiple goals when all they need to do is sit back and play for a draw or a 1-0 loss vs an England team who will be resting all their starters.

Very very disappointing
If the England A team were the players who started today, I’ll take my chances with their B team.

USA played better than Wales, dominated the possession, tied because of a bad foul. Why would England beat USA by more than they beat Wales? Bale had his back to the goal; odds are he probably wouldn't have scored if he didn't get fouled.

USA played better than Wales, dominated the possession, tied because of a bad foul. Why would England beat USA by more than they beat Wales? Bale had his back to the goal; odds are he probably wouldn't have scored if he didn't get fouled.
Because at that point England won’t have much to play for and will almost certainly rest/limit some key players.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Because at that point England won’t have much to play for and will almost certainly rest/limit some key players.
They’re all key players. There’s no drop off in talent. It’s like our dream team that played in Barcelona. So you don’t start Barkley and Magic, well guess what you get Karl Malone and John Stockton.

Reactions: anon_d97v9o3a8b6xr
They’re all key players. There’s no drop off in talent. It’s like our dream team that played in Barcelona. So you don’t start Barkley and Magic, well guess what you get Karl Malone and John Stockton.

To a point, but when you have an England team playing with no motivation and Wales knowing a draw definitely gets them through or even a 1 goal loss, they can park the bus and get out with a 1-0 loss.

To a point, but when you have an England team playing with no motivation and Wales knowing a draw definitely gets them through or even a 1 goal loss, they can park the bus and get out with a 1-0 loss.
Yeah. My concern would be tactics and motivation, as opposed to a drop in talent. There isn’t a drop in talent. Maybe rasford coming on for Kane might be the only drop. But rashford came on and scored the best goal yesterday.

England has plenty of motivation. England hasn’t had great success in the World Cup in along time. They have a solid squad and want to prove themselves.

Yeah. My concern would be tactics and motivation, as opposed to a drop in talent. There isn’t a drop in talent. Maybe rasford coming on for Kane might be the only drop. But rashford came on and scored the best goal yesterday.
Rashford is a good player. He scored that goal in like a minute after coming on. He can be a weapon for sure. Teams won’t get much of a break if England uses subs well. It’s like attack after attack after attack

Maybe protecting guys sitting on yellow cards as well? I get what you’re saying, but just the idea of “resting guys” has a mental effect on the squad as a whole even if the talent level is similar.

Although hell even Grealish managed to score yesterday, maybe they are coming together at the right time. I mean what’s next, Harry Maguire being Man of the Match?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Maybe protecting guys sitting on yellow cards as well? I get what you’re saying, but just the idea of “resting guys” has a mental effect on the squad as a whole even if the talent level is similar.

Although hell even Grealish managed to score yesterday, maybe they are coming together at the right time. I mean what’s next, Harry Maguire being Man of the Match?
Hey now, Harry Maguire wasn’t too bad yesterday. Nearly had a goal and did some good things. He has his moments, and if he was good for 10 minutes that’s 5 minutes more than Bale. I mean Bale was kept in check by the US. He scored a PK, which is not very exciting or as tough as scoring during play. Did he deserve man if the match, I don’t know, I guess keeping wales alive and scoring his first goal in WC. but he was missing in action the entire game.

Hey now, Harry Maguire wasn’t too bad yesterday. Nearly had a goal and did some good things. He has his moments, and if he was good for 10 minutes that’s 5 minutes more than Bale. I mean Bale was kept in check by the US. He scored a PK, which is not very exciting or as tough as scoring during play. Did he deserve man if the match, I don’t know, I guess keeping wales alive and scoring his first goal in WC. but he was missing in action the entire game.
How about rashfords goal? Of the 6, that was my favorite. So calm and cool. Made it look easy, which is why it was great!

My daughters BF is best friends with Harry’s brother. He and his wife and sister are crazy.

My daughters BF is best friends with Harry’s brother. He and his wife and sister are crazy.
Your daughter is in Europe playing if I recall? If she is, what direction did she go to get there? Hired an agent, coaches had connections, or something else?

Your daughter is in Europe playing if I recall? If she is, what direction did she go to get there? Hired an agent, coaches had connections, or something else?
No. She came home and works in marketing. But she’s kicking herself now. A teammate of hers plays now at New Castle, and this girl is coming here for Christmas to stay with us. My daughter kinda regrets not staying there and playing.

No. She came home and works in marketing. But she’s kicking herself now. A teammate of hers plays now at New Castle, and this girl is coming here for Christmas to stay with us. My daughter kinda regrets not staying there and playing.
My daughter plans to do marketing, maybe. But her dream is to play after college. Of course she has to actually get to college next year and start playing before any of those dreams can get legs.
Her soccer/fitness trainer’s girlfriend is playing pro in turkey after doing a year in Iceland. She killed it in Iceland and signed new gig in turkey.
Several former Tennessee players headed to Iceland and it really jump started their pro careers.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
How much do the women get paid on teams like that?

How much do the women get paid on teams like that?
I’m not sure they make anything. They all work full time. But they can get promoted
into the womens super league.

A team she trained with when there was 3points from promotion to the Super League when covid hit. I believe it was Liverpool or Man U that was the team that got promoted that spring. She said that she was right there with them in ability.

Reactions: Pitt79
ADVERTISEMENT