ADVERTISEMENT

GT only using 42,500 seats at Mercedes Benz Stadium

Well....
Maryland.
On Campus Stadium? Check.
Nice weather? Check.
4-0 start? Check.
Big Ten money? Check.

The results from this past Saturday.....

The big house had some (not a lot, but noticeable) empties for the game with Rutgers featuring 2 undefeated teams. 10K no shows for the Stillers. Attending live was trending down before the pandemic, not sure when or if it fully recovers.

Nova still plays a couple games downtown...and it doesn't seem to hurt their home court advantage. In fact their 2018 National Championship came the year they were remodeling the Pavilion so they ended up playing all their games off campus at the Wells Fargo Center and still won it all.
Nova is Nova. An established power. They could play on the dark side of the moon and be fine. That wasn't the case with Pitt back in the day. They were trying to get a foothold in a new league full of NBA-level talent.

Pitt joined the Big East in 1982 and promptly mugged Georgetown, St John's and Syracuse at Fitzgerald. Within two seasons the Hoya and Cuse games were moved downtown. At least one St John's game and one against WVU were moved there as well. Check the records. Pitt's Igloo record in BE games was abysmal.

Nova is Nova. An established power. They could play on the dark side of the moon and be fine. That wasn't the case with Pitt back in the day. They were trying to get a foothold in a new league full of NBA-level talent.

Pitt joined the Big East in 1982 and promptly mugged Georgetown, St John's and Syracuse at Fitzgerald. Within two seasons the Hoya and Cuse games were moved downtown. At least one St John's game and one against WVU were moved there as well. Check the records. Pitt's Igloo record in BE games was abysmal.
Villanova is also the outsider of the Big 5. I think coaching consistency and success has really benefit that program. Only 4 coaches in 50+ years. But they have to compete against 5 other schools in the city who play D1 Basketball.

Doesn't hurt when you can recruit 90% of your roster without having to drive more than 100 miles.

It also doesn't help much. Basketball recruiting is 1000% different than football. Basketball players leave home at 15 for bball factory boarding schools. Recruiting is national in hoops, not local.

It also doesn't help much. Basketball recruiting is 1000% different than football. Basketball players leave home at 15 for bball factory boarding schools. Recruiting is national in hoops, not local.

Nova gets most of their players from eastern PA, NJ and VA areas, plus DC.

You're certainly not trying to tell me that Villanova is underperforming because their roster is almost all NYC metro, NJ, Philly, and Baltimore kids because that would be a really wild take.

Sounds good other than "where would you build it", "how could you get approval to make it", "how would we fund it" etc.
Good questions, ALL of them need to be answered by Heather Lyke. My God, I actually think that I could get the job done myself. She's the AD at the University of Pittsburgh, if she can't get it done, she's not doing her job very well. Would it cost Pitt some money?? Absolutely, but it will make them billions over the life of a new stadium...BILLIONS.

Nova gets most of their players from eastern PA, NJ and VA areas, plus DC.

Ya think? So does everybody. That's where the players are. Villanova's location helps them very little recruiting kids who left mom and dad at 15 for a boarding school. Those kids are going to play for whatever coach they feel will most likely get them to the NBA regardless of where the school is located

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT