ADVERTISEMENT

GT's path to the Coastal crown

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I posted about Narduzzi gushing, almost awkwardly, about how good GT is and tried saying without saying they would be better without Collins. Well, is it crazy to think GT could win the Coastal?

UVa: W
@ FSU L
@ VT W
Miami W

That would set up their game at UNC as the defacto Coastal Championship game where they'd probably win a tiebreaker if they finish 6-2

Last edited:
The thing is... they aren't any good. We beat ourselves up like the bathroom scene in Liar Liar. So those VT and Miami games are almost certainly not going to be two wins. I get that it's hypothetical, but I do think it's crazy for a team that bad to win 5 out of 6 en route to a de facto championship game, yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: capnpitt
I posted about Narduzzi gushing, almost awkwardly, about how good GT is and tried saying without saying they would be better without Collins. Well, is it crazy to think GT could win the Coastal?

UVa: W
@ FSU L
@ VT W
Miami W

That would set up their game at UNC as the defacto Coastal Championship game where they'd probably win a tiebreaker if they finish 6-2
Not even remotely going to happen

The thing is... they aren't any good. We beat ourselves up like the bathroom scene in Liar Liar. So those VT and Miami games are almost certainly not going to be two wins. I get that it's hypothetical, but I do think it's crazy for a team that bad to win 5 out of 6 en route to a de facto championship game, yes.
VT is terrible. GT will win that one. Miami will get its act together before then though.

The thing is -- nobody in the Coastal is any good. Relatively speaking, GT might be the worst of the bunch, but they are not that much worse, and them going 3-1 the rest of the way is within the realm of possibility. UVa and VT are certainly winnable games for them. They only have to win 3 of their next 4 games to set up showdown with UNC for coastal crown.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The thing is -- nobody in the Coastal is any good. Relatively speaking, GT might be the worst of the bunch, but they are not that much worse, and them going 3-1 the rest of the way is within the realm of possibility. UVa and VT are certainly winnable games for them. They only have to win 3 of their next 4 games to set up showdown with UNC for coastal crown.

We'll see. I think I read that they had like 10 successful plays against us or something on offense. I think they'll lose three more games and go 4-4 in the conference at best.

Last edited:
We'll see. I think I read that they had like 10 successful plays against us or something. I think they'll lose three more games and go 4-4 in the conference at best.
They could go 2-6. They stink. But so does most everyone they play. The way I see it, UVa and VT are wins which means they have to split with Miami/FSU to play UNC for the Coastal crown.

Also, if Nebraska wins their next 2 vs Purdue and Illinois, they probably win the B10 West

They could go 2-6. They stink. But so does most everyone they play. The way I see it, UVa and VT are wins which means they have to split with Miami/FSU to play UNC for the Coastal crown.

Also, if Nebraska wins their next 2 vs Purdue and Illinois, they probably win the B10 West

If we lose to UNC, I think that just about wraps things up for the Coastal. That's effectively two-game leads they'll have on us and Miami. I can't talk myself into considering anyone else a threat for the division.

We'll see. I think I read that they had like 10 successful plays against us or something on offense. I think they'll lose three more games and go 4-4 in the conference at best.
I'll guess they go 2-2 and finish 5-3. I think there was a little truth to what Narduzzi said, and also a little cover your own ass for losing to them.

Honestly, I don't think it's crazy to say that any team can win the Coastal. And frankly, it has been that way for years.
That's why it's THE BEST division in college football! Too bad they are ruining college football by taking it away. I don't care about having the BEST teams, I like something like this, where you never know what might happen, and it's not predictable, like BAMA, BAMA, BAMA, BAMA, BAMA, BAMA, Auburn, BAMA, BAMA, BAMA, BAMA :)

I wrote in a similar thread, we’re in the odd position of hoping GT keeps winning to not make our loss to them seem as bad. But not miraculously KEEP winning and winning to the point that they continue above us. Not that they are good enough that this would happen. Face it, they more than likely won’t win another game and it will always be the bad loss it was. But I do hope they can inexplicably knock off a couple teams more somehow that might normally be an obstacle to us. Of course we also have to keep winning.

I wrote in a similar thread, we’re in the odd position of hoping GT keeps winning to not make our loss to them seem as bad. But not miraculously KEEP winning and winning to the point that they continue above us. Not that they are good enough that this would happen. Face it, they more than likely won’t win another game and it will always be the bad loss it was. But I do hope they can inexplicably knock off a couple teams more somehow that might normally be an obstacle to us. Of course we also have to keep winning.
Pitt's best hope is to win out, lose to Miami (no way we will ever beat them) and hope UNC has 2 losses, GT has 3 losses, and Miami has 3 losses. Chances of this = 10%

Pitt's best hope is to win out, lose to Miami (no way we will ever beat them) and hope UNC has 2 losses, GT has 3 losses, and Miami has 3 losses. Chances of this = 10%

I'm going to out-SMF you for a second.

I highly doubt we're winning in both Louisville and UNC. So would a loss in Louisville, causing us to play more focused and desperate at UNC, be a good thing? From that point, we'd have to win out (which would include hoping that Miami completely implodes by the end of the season) and hope that either Wake or NC State beats UNC.

If we lose to UNC, we're effectively three games behind them and it's over. No matter how you look at it, that game cannot be a loss.

I'm going to out-SMF you for a second.

I highly doubt we're winning in both Louisville and UNC. So would a loss in Louisville, causing us to play more focused and desperate at UNC, be a good thing? From that point, we'd have to win out (which would include hoping that Miami completely implodes by the end of the season) and hope that either Wake or NC State beats UNC.

If we lose to UNC, we're effectively three games behind them and it's over. No matter how you look at it, that game cannot be a loss.
I see your point but I never think a loss is a good thing. I realize we have to beat UNC and if we don't, we have virtually no shot to win the Coastal but our chances of winning that game don't depend on the outcome of the Louisville game.

Well, GT will have 3 losses and I think it's pretty likely Miami ends with 3 losses. They will lose to Clemson and stub their toe against someone else.

I doubt we can lose to UNC and win the coastal, but your 10% should probably be closer to 30%. Connelly gave Pitt 10% to win the ACC, so you're being overly dramatic.

I see your point but I never think a loss is a good thing. I realize we have to beat UNC and if we don't, we have virtually no shot to win the Coastal but our chances of winning that game don't depend on the outcome of the Louisville game.

In theory they don't, but reality is different. Wins go directly to kids' heads these days, it seems. Either way, yes - UNC cannot be a loss. Any margin of error we had was squandered with that GT loss.

If we lose to UNC, they have to lose to Wake, an underwhelming NC State team, AND one of Duke/GT/UVA. All while we win at Louisville, at Miami, and against Duke, Syracuse, and UVA. That ain't happening.

As down as some of our fans are on this team, our two losses were with a back-up injured QB against the #6 team in the country and in a 3 turnover to 0 slop game against a Georgia Tech team who seems to have about as much talent as most Coastal teams.

I understand feeling frustrated because those are crappy ways to lose! But I don't draw a "Pitt has no talent/fire the OC!" conclusion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT