ADVERTISEMENT

Hamlin tweet

I am a person who wants to see Pitt succeed in football more than most. Hamlin has had a slow start in college due to injury as I recall. He has been and is playing well this year. Hamlin, Ford, Dane Jackson are not our issue. They are our strength.

In my opinion, the big issue is Narduzzi and his outdated scheme. A traditional 4 -3 might work in the BIG with average QB play and average wide receivers. Not in the ACC or SEC.

Narduzzi has the athlete's to have a successful defense but not with his present scheme. He needs to play 3 linemen, 2 inside linebackers, 2 hybrid DB/LB's on each edge and 4 DB's. Dennis Briggs should not see the field. Ever. Saleem Brightwell should always be on the field , ditto for Paris Ford and Phil Campbell.
3rd and 10+ downs the defense should win 90% of the time. Narduzzi loses those situations 80% of the time. His scheme is flawed.

So I'm a fan of Hamlin, Ford and Jackson. I'm sure they're frustrated as we are. Again, they aren't the issue. It's a blessing they're Pitt Panthers.

Time for someone to take the reigns of the defense from Narduzzi.

Totally agree! I said it after season one...this defense won’t work in the ACC.

Reactions: Wildman4Pitt
His dad Mario is very unhappy with Narduzzi and the scheme. And lack of blitzing. He was tweeting yesterday quite a bit. And him and I were DM'ing.

I would say Hamlin and Ford are regretting their decisions right now.
Narduzzi has been running this scheme forever. Why is he surprised?

If you guys were Damar Hamlin wouldn’t you be frustrated with some blowhard who insists what he’s doing works but it obviously isn’t?

Everyone goes to school. Math is a tough subject and can be taught dozens of ways. If you were in a classroom with a teacher who knew this but insisted on using only his preferred style to the detriment of the students would you not be dissatisfied? Narduzzi is tough for us to take. Imagine what he’s like to a bunch of 18-22 year olds that are endlessly struggling while playing a game they love.

Narduzzi has been running this scheme forever. Why is he surprised?

Parents don't understand football on that level. Hell, even Narduzzi thought his scheme would work. After all the success he had at MSU, with 3-star recruits, why wouldn't they think it would work?

You'll recall Hamlin's dad was very active on Twitter during the kid's recruitment. He's not a low-profile guy.

Reactions: cpc247
The sad part of this is that Hamlin hasn't been great until the GTech game. He's been a medical issue and HCPN has been pretty good to him. Played him early even when he wasn't ready. If we are being brutally honest Hamlin has played poorly and been a big part of our pass defense problems. Seems to me like the guy needs to spend less time typing and more time lifting and watching film so he can make plays in space.
Agreed. Given his tenure so far at Pitt. He is very lucky he chose Pitt.

I said it when he was the bus 4 star at PCC and I will say it today. Hamlin is a tremendous athlete. He is not a football player, he is soft.
Still waiting to see the tremendous athlete part. Not especially fast, plays stiff and he’s not at all explosive.

Reactions: freddietee511
ND. Could have got a great education and be set for life with their alumni network. He’s not a football player. Just a smart athlete.
Didn’t it come down to Pitt and Ohio State? Or am I remembering that wrong? I do remember ND being in the mix, I just have a memory of OSU being there until the last minute.

I am a person who wants to see Pitt succeed in football more than most. Hamlin has had a slow start in college due to injury as I recall. He has been and is playing well this year. Hamlin, Ford, Dane Jackson are not our issue. They are our strength.

In my opinion, the big issue is Narduzzi and his outdated scheme. A traditional 4 -3 might work in the BIG with average QB play and average wide receivers. Not in the ACC or SEC.

Narduzzi has the athlete's to have a successful defense but not with his present scheme. He needs to play 3 linemen, 2 inside linebackers, 2 hybrid DB/LB's on each edge and 4 DB's. Dennis Briggs should not see the field. Ever. Saleem Brightwell should always be on the field , ditto for Paris Ford and Phil Campbell.
3rd and 10+ downs the defense should win 90% of the time. Narduzzi loses those situations 80% of the time. His scheme is flawed.

So I'm a fan of Hamlin, Ford and Jackson. I'm sure they're frustrated as we are. Again, they aren't the issue. It's a blessing they're Pitt Panthers.

The ACC eh? List all of those ACC teams, QBs, receivers and offenses that are so much better than their B10 counterparts. Clemson and Ohio State aside-they are on far different levels than the rest of the teams in their respective leagues, and frankly are only inferior nationally to Alabama and maybe UGA.

How about North Carolina. Which B10 teams are so inferior to them offensively? Same question with FSU. VT. BC. Miami. Wake. UVA. Keep going.

I said it when he was the bus 4 star at PCC and I will say it today. Hamlin is a tremendous athlete. He is not a football player, he is soft.

Narduzzi is the soft one... on himself... He mentioned twice in the post press conference that Hamlin made mistakes, yet Hamlin also made nice plays too.

Narduzzi recklessly and stupidly pick out specific players and trash them: He did it to Hamlin and Jackson after this last game. There We’re easily at least 10 Pitt players who played far worse than Hamlin and Jackson. If those two quit on this team, Narduzzi can forget wining more than 5 games this years.

Narduzzi must be honest and admit it is he and his staff who are failing...failing to pay attention to real concerns that are so obvious... yet somehow he can’t admit to it until it becomes costly. Like when he played down the offense’s inability to score in the the second half... game after game after game
he respond to the media in his normal “living in denial” way that it was a non issue.... he made it sound like it was just a matter of Some bad luck or... if not for a few penalties here and some bad field position in this game... come on coach... WAKE THE HELL UP!!!

The dude also doesn’t get that the buck stops with him:

He is the head coach.
He hires the coaching staff.
He and his staff recruited the players they have.
He and his staff choose the plays to run.
He and his staff are responsible for player development.

Hamlin has plenty of talent -

Honestly is it on him and every other player for being out of position, or is it much more likely that since it’s been about every player they’ve coached over the past 4 years that it’s more likely an issue with somethinf the coaches are not doing right- coaches who have consistently had trouble with players supposedly being out of position ever since they were hired.

Man I refuse to trash a hometown kid who decided to stay home and play for his city. That kid loves his city and that was the determining factor for him. This silly defense is getting on my nerves. It didnt even work at Michigan state against the spread. Please go back and watch his last bowl game at MSU against Baylor. That defense with first round players on it got shredded. It aint gonna work against spread rpo teams and his inability to adjust to that will cost him his job period.

Narduzzi is the soft one... on himself... He mentioned twice in the post press conference that Hamlin made mistakes, yet Hamlin also made nice plays too.

Narduzzi recklessly and stupidly pick out specific players and trash them: He did it to Hamlin and Jackson after this last game. There We’re easily at least 10 Pitt players who played far worse than Hamlin and Jackson. If those two quit on this team, Narduzzi can forget wining more than 5 games this years.

Narduzzi must be honest and admit it is he and his staff who are failing...failing to pay attention to real concerns that are so obvious... yet somehow he can’t admit to it until it becomes costly. Like when he played down the offense’s inability to score in the the second half... game after game after game
he respond to the media in his normal “living in denial” way that it was a non issue.... he made it sound like it was just a matter of Some bad luck or... if not for a few penalties here and some bad field position in this game... come on coach... WAKE THE HELL UP!!!

He is the head coach.

Honestly is it on him and every other player for being out of position, or is it much more likely that since it’s been about every player they’ve coached over the past 4 years that it’s more likely an issue with somethinf the coaches are not doing right- coaches who have consistently had trouble with players supposedly being out of position ever since they were hired.

5 games this year , not happening with or without Hamlin

His dad Mario is very unhappy with Narduzzi and the scheme. And lack of blitzing. He was tweeting yesterday quite a bit. And him and I were DM'ing.

I would say Hamlin and Ford are regretting their decisions right now.

Aliquippa got the message first I guess.

I’m ready for Narduzzi to go.

Then Clairton and Woodland Hills. Luckily TJ still sends players to Pitt although Winovich was too good for us.

The ACC eh? List all of those ACC teams, QBs, receivers and offenses that are so much better than their B10 counterparts. Clemson and Ohio State aside-they are on far different levels than the rest of the teams in their respective leagues, and frankly are only inferior nationally to Alabama and maybe UGA.

How about North Carolina. Which B10 teams are so inferior to them offensively? Same question with FSU. VT. BC. Miami. Wake. UVA. Keep going.

The spread didn't come to the Big Ten until Duzz left. His D cannot defend it. That's the point

Reactions: h2p_5150
Man I refuse to trash a hometown kid who decided to stay home and play for his city. That kid loves his city and that was the determining factor for him. This silly defense is getting on my nerves. It didnt even work at Michigan state against the spread. Please go back and watch his last bowl game at MSU against Baylor. That defense with first round players on it got shredded. It aint gonna work against spread rpo teams and his inability to adjust to that will cost him his job period.

SPOT ON!!

He is the head coach.

I completely agree with you. It's not Hamlin, , Ford or Jackson. It's coaching.

Reactions: H2P-2007

He is the head coach.

Narduzzi will blame everything and everyone, but himself. I can't even count the number of times he's thrown his own players under the bus. He does this with Asst coaches too. Then he wonders why he doesn't get great assistants and why recruiting is so hard. Smh.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
Totally agree! I said it after season one...this defense won’t work in the ACC.
I had some reservations but was willing to let him get his players here. year 4 is enough time, you can make a judgement after this season and so far it doesn't look good.

PSu wasn't very good when PN was at MI ST and MI has been down as well. So he really only had to compete with OSU and they weren't exactly scoring they way they have now. He likely wouldn't have had success against PSU had he stayed. But there is no doubt in my mind that the ACC produces more NFL skill players. I know the ACC has had more players drafted overall but I would guess that the numbers skew even further when you look at skill players.

I don't think so - Looks to be more of a zone defender to me - Intercepts some over throws - tackles in his limited area
Classic definition of a tweener. Probably good enough to be decent at either spot but doesn't have the bend needed to be a real good CB and isn't really thick enough to be a top level safety.

Yet many had no problem picking on Billy Stull even though he was a local boy who chose to stay home. People continue to rip Briggs who is a local boy. Neither one of them self publicized themselves like Hamlin either nor were they 4 stars playing like 2 stars.

Not saying you are one of those people because I don't know your history, but these are not kids they are adults. Hamlin is not playing like a 4 star. He is playing more on Briggs level than former 2 star Dane Jackson's all conference level. He needs to own it and work harder because he is not living up to the hype him and his father created. Like I said he is athletic, now he needs to become a better player. I will be the first to say I'm wrong if he improves but as of now he is average at best. This is not like Whithead trying to do too much. He needs to improve.

If Hamlin and/or ford leave there is absolutely no way to justify bringing narduzzi back. He’s gotten what, 3 4-stars and they’re 2 of them?

Reactions: Wildman4Pitt
The spread didn't come to the Big Ten until Duzz left. His D cannot defend it. That's the point
Really, you are wrong, Walt sent his offensive staff to Northwestern to learn the spread when Priestly was projected to be the starter. Walt introduced some form of the spread that year and lost 5 of the first 6 games. The Pitt fans were in a very foul mood and he felt criticism, he changed the offense back to what they had previously installed and won enough games to gain bowl eligibillity. To the best of my knowledge HCPN was not on a coaching staff associated with the Big 10 when Northwestern and perhaps others in the conference were using the spread. He arrived later with D’Antonio from Cincinnati and the spread was already being used.

Really, you are wrong, Walt sent his offensive staff to Northwestern to learn the spread when Priestly was projected to be the starter. Walt introduced some form of the spread that year and lost 5 of the first 6 games. The Pitt fans were in a very foul mood and he felt criticism, he changed the offense back to what they had previously installed and won enough games to gain bowl eligibillity. To the best of my knowledge HCPN was not on a coaching staff associated with the Big 10 when Northwestern and perhaps others in the conference were using the spread. He arrived later with D’Antonio from Cincinnati and the spread was already being used.

There were like 2-3 spread offenses when Narduzzi was there, come on. And even NW's Spread isn't an "air it out" spread.

Reactions: Jpripper88
There were like 2-3 spread offenses when Narduzzi was there, come on. And even NW's Spread isn't an "air it out" spread.

Yep - there wasn’t a true spread offense in the B1G - and as you mentioned Nortwestern wasn’t slinging it around.

Yeah there was Ohio State, NW, Indiana for a little bit and Michigan. OSU, NW and Michigan (under Rich Rod) were run first spreads. Indiana mostly had really bad QB play, although if Wilson hadn't gotten fired I think they were on track to be pretty decent at some point. PSU went spread after Duzz left. Nebraska and Purdue too.

Yeah there was Ohio State, NW, Indiana for a little bit and Michigan. OSU, NW and Michigan (under Rich Rod) were run first spreads. Indiana mostly had really bad QB play, although if Wilson hadn't gotten fired I think they were on track to be pretty decent at some point. PSU went spread after Duzz left. Nebraska and Purdue too.

Narduzzi only had to deal with Urban/OSU spread for 3 years.

So, Narduzzi had the balls to RS Ford all last year, but not Hamlin the year before? I wouldn’t say that he was that good to Hamlin.

Hamlin is struggling, he’s out of position and honestly, when the guy next to you is Dennis Briggs, you end up with more ground to cover and feel you need to do more.

Lol. Revisionist history 101. In 2016 this board was boiling over with the same “play the young guys, they HAVE to be better” threads every game. Narduzzi was a moron for not playing Hamlin as an injured true freshman as Maddox and Lewis bled passing yards.

Not giving the head coach a pass. Far from it. But Hamlin’s a mediocre player and mediocre talent at best.

Don’t agree at all about Hamlin being a mediocre talent. He is much better than you are giving him credit. He has made a number of big plays and he is struggling far less in Narduzzi’s system than almost everyone else- including Ford. Does that mean Ford is mediocre too? Or is it possible it’s the coaches - many including Narduzzi who have struggled now for years - who are the mediocre ones.

Was Whitehead overrated too: ACC Defensive Rookie of the year. He should have been All American the year he left, yet he didn’t even make 3rd Team ALL-ACC. How about Q Henderson? He went from having an All-American year with so many big yardage plays on offense and so many great returns to looking pedestrian the next year on offense. Was he just overrated too? Or again, is it possible that coaching issues (coaching changes specifically in Q’s case which lead to misuse of his talents and poor recruiting /developent at QB) played a big role in his weaker performance?

Not that Pitt is loaded with talent, but I have trouble believing Hamlin, Ford, Whitehead and Henderson are all simpmy overrated. It is much more likely that they are actually very special players whose struggles at Pitt are directly related to various weakness in the coaching staff (teaching poor technique, sticking with schemes/plays that do not work, using players in ways that do not take advantage of their greatest strengths, recruiting poorly, downplaying the significance of real issues that are plaguing the team).

Last edited:
Reactions: lilspainishflea
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT