ADVERTISEMENT

Have your thoughts on realignement changed?

Oct 25, 2021
After going through a season of beatings, has anyone changed their stance on realignment? Some of said they would stop watching if a BIG/SEC super league forms and Pitt isn't part of it.

I have to say: Put me down for being even more in favor of that league forming and us not being part of it now. Give me a competitive league with the Big 12, leftover ACC, etc. teams. And I think this coming portal season is only going to solidify that position.

I want no part in being a feeder fish/farm system for the teams that have a chance.

No, my belief that the transfer portal (realignment of players) is a good thing after the season we just endured!

I agree with the first two posters. As I type this UW 7-5 and Minnesota 6-6 are on in the background. That would be Pitt year after Year. Hell the Peds have Been stuck in 3 rd place forever and may drop back into 5th place with the addition of UW Oregon and USC.

The ACC is the right place for Pitt. Pitt has won 2 division championships and one ACC championship. In what 9 years? I think they could play in the Big Ten for the next 50 years and never win it.

I agree with the first two posters. As I type this UW 7-5 and Minnesota 6-6 are on in the background. That would be Pitt year after Year. Hell the Peds have Been stuck in 3 rd place forever and may drop back into 5th place with the addition of UW Oregon and USC.

The ACC is the right place for Pitt. Pitt has won 2 division championships and one ACC championship. In what 9 years? I think they could play in the Big Ten for the next 50 years and never win it.
Add a zero to that 50

No, my belief that the transfer portal (realignment of players) is a good thing after the season we just endured!

Yea, I dont know why he is so afraid of the portal. The portal is the best thing that could happen to us. We arent going to be able to get the A-list transfers but we can upgrade almost everywhere because our current players arent very good

Reactions: WillyDavis33
I don't get a dime of the conference TV money and we have seen more money doesn't mean more wins. I am still fine with Pitt being in a conference where they can compete rather than be, at best, the 6th or 7th best team.

Bud Elliot said something like that this week. Like an administrator might make 230k instead of 180k, but would a fan rather be pulling for a 4-8 Arkansas team or a team that actually has a chance to be competitive within its conference?

Yea, I dont know why he is so afraid of the portal. The portal is the best thing that could happen to us. We arent going to be able to get the A-list transfers but we can upgrade almost everywhere because our current players arent very good
Yep. If you are playing 3 discard poker and you draw a dud hand you are asking for 3 new cards.

Bud Elliot said something like that this week. Like an administrator might make 230k instead of 180k, but would a fan rather be pulling for a 4-8 Arkansas team or a team that actually has a chance to be competitive within its conference?
Honestly If Pitt ended up in the MAC and the MAC had an auto bid, Im not sure I would mind that. Screw it get in 3 out of 4 years…

2030 - new B12 TV deal sucks

- Colorado to B10 or SEC
- 1 Arizona + several other B12 schools to ACC to pre-backfill for eventual loss of FSU, UNC, Clem, etc.

Pitt back in a Big East-type league eventually with BC, Syr, WVU, Lou, UCF, USF, Cincy, OK St, TCU, BYU, etc with an auto bid is fine

Not sure, but seeing these games today, any in ACC have to be thanking everyone the playoffs are expanding.

Yep. If you are playing 3 discard poker and you draw a dud hand you are asking for 3 new cards.
That's not how it working with NIL money. Pitt does not play draw poker. Pitt plays 2 kids games. 1st they play "Go Fish" as the Blue Bloods ask and get what they want from Pitt. They also play "Old Maid" as Pitt goes to smaller schools MAC/FCS to blindly grab a player and hope the player adjust to P5 level.

But Pitt does not play high stakes poker. The poker that big time college football plays is: you discard 3 then you pay big money for every new card you get. Sure they dabble in Go Fish and Old Maid, but they pay big time for their draw cards.

Pitt hasn't paid for their cards in 40 years. They have been notoriously cheap, even when it was cheap to do business ( ie Robert Foster received some cheaper car) and now you want Pitt to compete when QBs are getting NIL money for the price normally reserved for a NFL 4th rounder? That is not in Pitt's DNA.

Last edited:
Reactions: moose121
After going through a season of beatings, has anyone changed their stance on realignment? Some of said they would stop watching if a BIG/SEC super league forms and Pitt isn't part of it.

I have to say: Put me down for being even more in favor of that league forming and us not being part of it now. Give me a competitive league with the Big 12, leftover ACC, etc. teams. And I think this coming portal season is only going to solidify that position.

I want no part in being a feeder fish/farm system for the teams that have a chance.
I think you are under the delusion that the ACC and Big Twelve will be viable in the future. I think you will see something similar to the PAC 12 and those that get left behind will be the equal of Division II football. Pitt football, as you hopę to know it, is dead if they don’t get into the super conference.

I think you are under the delusion that the ACC and Big Twelve will be viable in the future. I think you will see something similar to the PAC 12 and those that get left behind will be the equal of Division II football. Pitt football, as you hopę to know it, is dead if they don’t get into the super conference.
Disagree. There will BE a third conference. Now it will not be as profitable as the SEC or Big Ten but it will be a viable option. The ACC and Big 12 Should just merge now and have like 28 teams. Add Oregon St and Wash St. As well. At that point dont you control 1/2 of the Power 5 teams. Then renegotiate a tv contract.

You always want a seat at the big table - it helps get you the better players. The poorer the conference, the less money and the less of a chance.

Can’t assume all would be the same and we would just have a “tougher schedule”

Huh? If the SEC/BIG form their own super league - eventually adding the Florida States of the world and kicking the Vanderbilts to the curb - and the current Big 12 teams and ACC leftovers, etc. are left out, it would absolutely not be Divison II. That's silly. Do you know what Division II is? It's not even FCS.

This hypothetical division would take a bit of a hit, but it would still be above what G5 is now... much less FCS.... MUCH less Division II.

You always want a seat at the big table - it helps get you the better players. The poorer the conference, the less money and the less of a chance.

Can’t assume all would be the same and we would just have a “tougher schedule”

No, I don't want a sit at the table. Having a winning record once every five years and being the Pittsburgh Pirates isn't fun to me. I'd rather flip the table over and start singing We're Not Gonna Take It whilst being caked in blue eyeshadow.

I'll pass on the whipping boy farm system model. I'd much rather play at a level where there are no massive competitive disadvantages.

Huh? If the SEC/BIG form their own super league - eventually adding the Florida States of the world and kicking the Vanderbilts to the curb - and the current Big 12 teams and ACC leftovers, etc. are left out, it would absolutely not be Divison II. That's silly. Do you know what Division II is? It's not even FCS.

This hypothetical division would take a bit of a hit, but it would still be above what G5 is now... much less FCS.... MUCH less Division II.
Yes I Aboslutely know what it is. And things aren’t stopping at FSU. Once it all settles out there will either be One SUPER CONFERENCE of about 60 some teams or the ESPN Conference and the Fox Sports Conference. All other conferences will die because nobody will pay them money to broadcast when there are 30 super conference games for a weekend. Pitt fans are whistling past the graveyard if they think being left behind works for the future.

How’s that working out for Indiana, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, etc?
For sports other than football, it is working out very well for them. That is what should scare Pitt football fans the most. Administration after administration has shown they do not care about football. They have shown time again they care about the non revenue sports. They love the football for getting the TV money that pays for this non revenue sports. I say that as a huge wrestling fan too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT